AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2017-08-16, 18:47   Link #1
DracoS

Best JRPGs on Steam

So I'm feeling in a "get new game to play to death mood" and I've played all the Final Fantasy games!

Any gems on Steam worth playing, and if so why?
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-17, 15:30   Link #2
Sides

The Legend of Heroes series (there is a big thread somewhere in the game section, check it out). Pick anyone of them, they are great. You have also the Ys series. There are a lot of good jrpg ports on steam.

Last edited by Sides; 2017-08-18 at 02:07.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-17, 16:24   Link #3
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Aye, the Legend of Heroes games are fantastic if you love classic RPGs. They start slow, have some of the best world building in video games and fantastic dialogues. Really, the dialogues of the Trails in the Sky games are pure bliss, I can't recommend those games enough.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 11:08   Link #4
KaydonJAK
Explosion!

Hey, as already mentioned, the Legend of Heroes series and the Ys series are JRPGs that are a must play for any JRPG fan, or at least are worth playing at least once in your life time.

I also recommend:
Tales of series:
  • Tales of Berseria - The story and gameplay is wonderful. The music is amazing, the combat is fun and challenging.
  • Tales of Zestiria - Loved the history about the characters, about religion, way of live. A very good JRPG game with a very interesting world and a lot of things to explore there.
  • Tales of Symphonia - Stunning game. It talks about racism, religion, slavery, humanity, freedom, treason, forgiveness and much more youŽll never learn in real life.

The whole Hyperdimension Neptunia series - They are great games on their own, and thereŽs plenty of fourth wall breaks and RPG trope humour.

Other suggestions i have are:
  • Valkyria Chronicles - A visual novel that has tactical combat in it. I watched every episode, even the 'writing on the wall' special reports. Combat is completely unique mix of tactics and FPS.
  • Grandia 2 Anniversairy Edition - If you played oldschool JRPGs but never played Grandia 2, get this game! This game is incredible. The story is engaging and fun, but more importantly the battle system is timeless.
  • The Last Remnant - The story is absolutely terrible, but the world and the aesthetic of the world are both excellent. Where it really shines is the combat system. Very unique. Almost endless customization.
  • Aselia the Eternal: The Spirit of Eternity Sword and Seinarukana: The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2 - For VN/JRPGs they have the advantage of building and drawing you into their fantasy world, and add to that a great and unique combat system.
  • CrossCode - The RPG feeling is well crafted and the game is extremely polished. The combat system, the visuals and the music are well put together. The game has addressed me immediately.
  • Recettear - This item-shop simulator will entertain for longer than you thought, very refreshing game.
  • Xanadu Next - Became a classic for me.
  • God Eater 2 - Was surprisingly fun.
  • Shining Force 1 & 2 - For your retro needs.
  • I am Setsuna - Was also fantastic.

There are loads more but this post is getting way too long...
goes outside
Girls:
MskwpwlskIKRjdkalxOMGjsksodkYAi!!!!
Me:
Yup....fuck this I'm going back inside.
KaydonJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-24, 05:02   Link #5
DracoS

Playing Trails of Steel at the moment and it's a blast Thanks for the recs!
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 11:35   Link #6
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If you want a game for a couple of hours take a look at Eternal Senia. Took me ~6 hours to 100% and it has a very solid story line, beautiful cut scenes, three different endings and best of all it's free.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote