AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-08, 18:52   Link #61
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

There was a regional pastry shop I had years ago that allowed me to originally taste Taiyaki...dear god I was in heaven.. Who would've thought that bread with a sweet bean paste would taste so good ^_^

Sadly the place was arsoned and burned down and they never reopened.
DarkCntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:29   Link #62
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Pocky is good and all, but where can I find taiyaki in America? "Excuse me, do you have bean paste filled pastry fish?"
There is the "Pastry House Hippo", a Japanese pastry shop in Novi MI. If that helps.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:42   Link #63
TronDD
Team the box!

They only have locations in MI and IL. Doesn't help me in MA. Gotta be a Japanese bakery around here somewhere.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 21:15   Link #64
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
They only have locations in MI and IL. Doesn't help me in MA. Gotta be a Japanese bakery around here somewhere.
Heh... you live in the North. Not enough asian's go there. Guess you have to go buy it online.

I'm surprised Missori and Illinoise have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
MA? Massachusetts? That's in the east coast, lol. In some southern states, like Texas, Asians are flourishing. Here we have a China town, Vietnamese town, even a little section for Koreans. I dunno about pastry fish though. I've been to a lot of Japanese restaurants but I only eat Sushi and Ramen. I dunno if they're selling it in the Asian market since I only go to China town to buy rare spices. But you know, it's an intirguing dish and I might just look for it.
Yea I realized that. I read the thing wrong. I thought he said he was from Missori

Last edited by aahhsin; 2004-07-08 at 21:55.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 21:53   Link #65
Bullsquat
Strange Love

MA? Massachusetts? That's in the east coast, lol. In some southern states, like Texas, Asians are flourishing. Here we have a China town, Vietnamese town, even a little section for Koreans. I dunno about pastry fish though. I've been to a lot of Japanese restaurants but I only eat Sushi and Ramen. I dunno if they're selling it in the Asian market since I only go to China town to buy rare spices. But you know, it's an intriguing dish and I'll sure be looking for it now.

I'll tell you how good it tastes so it'll leave you salivating more without the satisfaction of ever eating it, hehe.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 22:15   Link #66
Shift_

Quote:
Pocky stick sucks. Although I wanna try bubble tea. Is Tapioca Japanese? Now that's a good drink.

I'm more of a gummy bear person.
Bubble tea is Taiwanese....

Not all crazy food stuff comes from japan you know...there ARE other asian countries out there...
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 22:18   Link #67
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
It's a tawainese drink. And Boba sucks. Really it does, or I'm just damn sick of it. I'm more of a red bean ice drink with ice cream on top kind of guy.
Yea bubble tea if you drink too much you can get sick of it.

Hmmmmmmmm red bean ice drink, I've only had it once, awsome stuff, the local chinese food resturants here don't serve very good stuff, it's more 'Canadianlized' to suit the tastes of the 'white' people I guess...I'd have to travel to Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto to get all the real good stuff

The closest thing we have to that drink + icecream is the red-bean icecream bars *drooooolllll*

damnit it's 11pm nothing is open and you got me craving.......grrrrrrrrrr.......
Old 2004-07-08, 22:21   Link #68
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
I'll tell you how good it tastes so it'll leave you salivating more without the satisfaction of ever eating it, hehe.
What a bastard.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 22:22   Link #69
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
There was a regional pastry shop I had years ago that allowed me to originally taste Taiyaki...dear god I was in heaven.. Who would've thought that bread with a sweet bean paste would taste so good ^_^

Sadly the place was arsoned and burned down and they never reopened.
red bean paste is yummy, same thing with mung bean and other various sweet bean pastes.

If you have any chinese pastry places, you might beable to pick up red bean or mung bean paste cakes.

Not quite the same as Taiyaki...but I can assure you it's just as good. Although they're best fresh, unless if you have a bakery in your area that makes it, or family/friends who do make it, you'll have to settle for the massproduced kinds...

I should REALLY stop reading this thread, I was out shopping today, and didn't buy any pastries or snacks
Old 2004-07-09, 00:30   Link #70
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandro98
Hi ya!
I dont know exactly where to post this but I thought my fellow Anime fans will know and help!
Local store called Hastins sells pocky for 1.79 a box, but at the rate I eat it ( more like consume, dang addictive stuff... hehe ) I figured I better see if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Ive looked around and around on the web and havent found a place yet that sells pocky cheaper than a 1.79 a box. That store has to be making profit off of it, so there has to be somewhere out there cheaper. So where do you order your Pocky from? Thanks in advance!
...just get some pretzels....(the straight stick ones) and dip it in chocolate (or whatever flavor you like...) there CHEAP ASS pocky....
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 16:40   Link #71
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
...just get some pretzels....(the straight stick ones) and dip it in chocolate (or whatever flavor you like...) there CHEAP ASS pocky....
I do that! Well, I cheat and buy Flipz, those chocolate dipped pretzels. I love those. The salty and sweet combo is awesome.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 16:57   Link #72
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Article about Pocky. ^^

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/big...injapaninc.htm
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 17:12   Link #73
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

hehe, I've seen some at some store last summer. I never had any though, didn't look overly exciting to me. But I was like "wth is a japanese box of food doing here?"
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 21:03   Link #74
Bullsquat
Strange Love

After searching endlessly around town, I coudn't find any damn Japanese restaurants that sell taiyaki. I'm now convinced that it doesn't exists in the US. I think I'll try looking for that octopus ball thingy now instead. Ehm, what do you call it? Tokiyaki?
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 00:29   Link #75
baka manko
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to baka manko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Fox
Try here in Nebraska were we have zero ethnic divsity, the only asian population is that of the universitiy's exchange program. Although about a month ago a book store started selling pocky here.
yeah there is, you just have to look. What part of Nebraska do u live in?
I live in omaha.
baka manko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 04:05   Link #76
Kero Gunsou
ロリが大好きな男

Quote:
I think I'll try looking for that octopus ball thingy now instead. Ehm, what do you call it? Tokiyaki?
It's takoyaki and I think they're overrated. The first 3 bites were great, and then it was so-so and toward the end I just got sick of it.
Kero Gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 02:44   Link #77
chloevenom

Pocky!

well i didnt even know pocky was in anime (i obviously dont watch enough anime then) and i didnt even know it was japanese (even though i was in an shop that held everything from japan). i bought it cos i just wanted to try it. and man i love it. ive only tried in once in strawberry flavour i ate the box in one go. it was sooooooooooooooo good. i get cravings for it.
chloevenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 03:10   Link #78
Kudryavka

lol at this thread.

Has anyone tried Tomato Juice Pocky? I saw it at Marukai once.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 12:07   Link #79
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Lolwtfbbqchicken

I loved Pocky while growing up. I approve this thread.

Highest-rated comment: So, if I eat Pocky, I attract hot Asian women? (Yes, you can.)
[They are: Kou Shibasaki, Satomi Ishihara, Yukie Nakama and Aya Matsuura]

Yes, that's right: Pocky will save you from zombies!
Be sure it's part of your SOP survival kit.

I very much prefer the brand's older, more nostalgic tagline: OK Pocky.
It's much catchier than today's "Anata mo, watashi mo, Pocky".

The right way to eat Pocky, sans creepy, voyeur fisherman.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 12:18   Link #80
oompa loompa

Gotta love dem Pocky's. Only had it when my Japanese Professor(s) feel particularly generous. Still, I like the flavor a lot, super light and creamy... on a stick. HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG!??!?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote