AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-01-04, 19:24   Link #1
Paean

clarification

Hrm. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section for this, but I thought I'd place it here anyway. (Mods, please feel free to move it to the appropriate section if need be.)

Anyway, as I was browsing though the "series" section of animesuki, I noticed that there were different groups that offered the same anime series and their corresponding episodes. My question is this: Why do the torrent file sizes differ for the same episode of the same series depending on the group hosting the file (Which is of the same file type anyway--avi)? For example, for one group, I noticed that one episode of a particular anime was 171+ MB, while the same episode was 175+MB for another group. Is there footage missing from the former or something?

Please clarify this for me, as I wish to be reassured that I am downloading the complete episode regardless of group. Thank you.
Paean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:26   Link #2
mirichan

Simple...

Different groups = different encoders = different encode file sizes... Not 2 anime episodes will be the same size if done by different groups... and it has nothing to do with missing chunks of data (although some groups may skip the Preview at the end of episodes) or else there would be quite a lot of yelling here.
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:38   Link #3
Thelastguardian

Same reason why you are mirichan don't look/weigh the same.

You have (I assume) body parts that a normal human should process; however you are not the exactly the same as other as you are "put together" differently.

Another anology would be even though a Toyota and a Banz have the same function and general look, the inside differ.
Old 2005-01-04, 19:51   Link #4
Darth_E_
Freelance TS'er/Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Same reason why you are mirichan don't look/weigh the same.

You have (I assume) body parts that a normal human should process; however you are not the exactly the same as other as you are "put together" differently.

Another anology would be even though a Toyota and a Banz have the same function and general look, the inside differ.
There is no Toyota or Banz to add, it depends on the source available ( whether the group kept or left the ads..etc) and bitrate/Quant used.

Yours,
-Elly
Darth_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:00   Link #5
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
It's simply bitrate.

Around 900kbs produces 175 megs.

This depends on the episode length, of course.

Now, no codec seeks to a filesize perfectly. Let's assume 2 encoders set the bitrate to 900kps and hit encode.
Depending on what codec they were using, and how this codec was set up, this may effect what the end filesize is. Codecs will try to seek perfectly to 900kbs, but it's hard to be perfect, right?

Also to conisder that 26 (standard series length) 175 meg encodes do not fit on a DVD-R.
Some grouops now us either 170, 171 or 172 meg encodes to allow people to fit 26 episodes on a DVD-R.

That's about it...
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:07   Link #6
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

There are far too many factors to list but suffice to say you'll just have to test around and see which groups and team members you like the best. Larger doesn't always mean better (tho it often does)

Some of the main groups such as AnimeKeep, Lunar, Triad or AonE tend to be quite stable in both encoding and translation but some of the newer groups may have some totally new encoding trick which can make them better. If in doubt ask around. Eventually you'll find groups you like and groups you don't. And the factors that are important to you will help you decide this.

Last edited by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs; 2005-01-05 at 06:29.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote