Notices

Old 2011-05-05, 21:45   Link #121
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Hey guys, guess who's secretly a Magical Girl and just never told anyone?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6951347/..._Kazuko_Magica
Hm, very interesting. I liked it. I'm a little baffled on how she managed to keep her Soul Gem pure all these years if she can't hunt Witches anymore, but I suppose as long as she kept her emotions in check it wasn't too much of a problem in the long run.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:11   Link #122
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

To everyone who has read Matchmaker by ShadowKittenMewFan, there's a sequel to it that just got completed recently. If anyone hasn't read Matchmaker but is a big Kyouko x Sayaka fan, I recommend you read it and it's sequel. Good amounts of fluff and drama in one tight package
Old 2011-05-05, 22:15   Link #123
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Does anyone think the Puella Magi will die if someone forcibly breaks their contract with Rule Breaker?
Old 2011-05-05, 22:16   Link #124
Akashin

I read it and read part of the sequel, but then I gave up. Didn't dislike it or anything; I just got bored, I suppose. Haven't read the last handful of chapters yet though (stopped somewhere around 5 or 6, I think), so I won't judge it one way or the other.

Plus, reading too much makes me envy those who aren't knee deep in writer's block. <_<;
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 22:37   Link #125
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

The last few chapters of the sequel gets pretty dark and dramatic. Some people might not also like it's ending but I liked it. In essence, I thought the sequel was a good read. Shadow's characterizations of Kyouko and Sayaka are perfect and the story was very good too imo. Try reading it again sometime if you're up for it, I think its worth reading.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:02   Link #126
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Does anyone think the Puella Magi will die if someone forcibly breaks their contract with Rule Breaker?
Tough call; would Rule Breaker just sever the contract and leave their now-useless Soul Gems defective and make them die, or would it restore their soul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
The last few chapters of the sequel gets pretty dark and dramatic. Some people might not also like it's ending but I liked it. In essence, I thought the sequel was a good read. Shadow's characterizations of Kyouko and Sayaka are perfect and the story was very good too imo. Try reading it again sometime if you're up for it, I think its worth reading.
I plan to sooner or later. There was little in the story holding my interest, but if it does get darker and grittier toward the end, I'll have to get back to it.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:11   Link #127
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
Tough call; would Rule Breaker just sever the contract and leave their now-useless Soul Gems defective and make them die, or would it restore their soul?
There's another problem with the Rule Breaker: if they want it or not (and the complications if you free Puella Magi by simply doing that).
Old 2011-05-05, 23:32   Link #128
Akashin

Quote:
There's another problem with the Rule Breaker: if they want it or not (and the complications if you free Puella Magi by simply doing that).
I admit to lacking extensive knowledge on the inner workings of Rule Breaker; Fate/Stay Night (the VN that is) is sitting somewhere on my computer waiting for me to get around to finishing it, and it's only seen in use once (that I recall) in the movie of UBW. So any deeper complications in using it are completely unknown to me.

Which brings me back to the point that I should really get around to finishing that... =/
Old 2011-05-06, 02:59   Link #129
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
Hm, very interesting. I liked it. I'm a little baffled on how she managed to keep her Soul Gem pure all these years if she can't hunt Witches anymore, but I suppose as long as she kept her emotions in check it wasn't too much of a problem in the long run.
Everything I've seen of her in the anime doesn't make the idea of her keeping emotions in check very believable.

Quote:
To everyone who has read Matchmaker by ShadowKittenMewFan, there's a sequel to it that just got completed recently. If anyone hasn't read Matchmaker but is a big Kyouko x Sayaka fan, I recommend you read it and it's sequel. Good amounts of fluff and drama in one tight package
Yeah, I read and liked it. I was scratching my head at Emiko, but I scratch my head at original characters most of the time, so that's not a matter of concern. And the author managed to tie it into the show's ending as well.
And what I wouldn't give for a fanart of Sayaka with long hair...
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 03:18   Link #130
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Yeah, I read and liked it. I was scratching my head at Emiko, but I scratch my head at original characters most of the time, so that's not a matter of concern. And the author managed to tie it into the show's ending as well.
And as irony would have it, despite my proclaimed hatred of OCs, Emiko was way and away my favorite character in the sequel. =/ That was part of the reason I ended up shelving it; if I'm becoming more empathic toward the OC than toward the characters I'm actually supposed to care about, something's wrong.
Old 2011-05-06, 03:20   Link #131
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

I wasn't sure what to think about Emiko either but I like what she became at the end of story. Reminds me of a certain black-haired Puella Magi
Old 2011-05-06, 04:39   Link #132
Snork
Twilight lander

^ to whom she was being compared by pretty much the whole original cast throughout the story.
Old 2011-05-06, 11:26   Link #133
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
I admit to lacking extensive knowledge on the inner workings of Rule Breaker; Fate/Stay Night (the VN that is) is sitting somewhere on my computer waiting for me to get around to finishing it, and it's only seen in use once (that I recall) in the movie of UBW. So any deeper complications in using it are completely unknown to me.

Which brings me back to the point that I should really get around to finishing that... =/
Once it comes into contact with the ensorcelled item or person, enchantments, connections bounded through contracts, and creatures created and maintained by prana will all be returned to their original components in a state "before they were made." It is a blade of betrayal that will sever all connections between a Master and Servant by destroying every single rule that controls them. It would be impossible to return another Noble Phantasm to its original state. - Type Moon wiki

so it can change a soul gem back...
Old 2011-05-06, 11:50   Link #134
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Once it comes into contact with the ensorcelled item or person, enchantments, connections bounded through contracts, and creatures created and maintained by prana will all be returned to their original components in a state "before they were made." It is a blade of betrayal that will sever all connections between a Master and Servant by destroying every single rule that controls them. It would be impossible to return another Noble Phantasm to its original state. - Type Moon wiki

so it can change a soul gem back...
Are we completely sure about that?

The way Rule Breaker worked in game was stabbing one person involved in the contract, which then allowed Caster to gain control of Saber. The problem I'm seeing is that if you use Rule Breaker on Kyubey, the side effect of that might be that now all the magical girls have a contract with Caster instead of Kyubey, which wouldn't really resolve the issue of the Soul Gems.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:09   Link #135
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Are we completely sure about that?

The way Rule Breaker worked in game was stabbing one person involved in the contract, which then allowed Caster to gain control of Saber. The problem I'm seeing is that if you use Rule Breaker on Kyubey, the side effect of that might be that now all the magical girls have a contract with Caster instead of Kyubey, which wouldn't really resolve the issue of the Soul Gems.
lol I can't use it on Kyubey, I can only use it on Puella Magi (and Shirou/Archer/Archerko will use it instead).
Old 2011-05-06, 12:37   Link #136
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
lol I can't use it on Kyubey, I can only use it on Puella Magi (and Shirou/Archer/Archerko will use it instead).
So then, how will Shirou have gotten it? Has he fought Caster by this point and seen Rule Breaker? Or will Archer do it? And if Archer does it, why would he be interested in saving the magical girls?
Old 2011-05-06, 13:05   Link #137
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Read this:
Quote:
Avoiding the use of magic + Drowning all of her natural sorrow in booze = Soul Gem OK!

That, or all those Grief Seeds Kyubey has apparently been chowing down were actually being stored in his food pouch for her.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 13:19   Link #138
Akashin

Quote:
So then, how will Shirou have gotten it? Has he fought Caster by this point and seen Rule Breaker? Or will Archer do it? And if Archer does it, why would he be interested in saving the magical girls?
Wait, this was an actual question? I thought it was hypothetical or something; like, if by some odd luck somebody who knew how to use Rule Breaker and had an inclination to do so had it in their possession, would it work on the Puella Magi? If it's a serious question of the functionality of it in a story then, yeah, there are bigger problems than whether or not it'd work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Read this:

Quote:
Avoiding the use of magic + Drowning all of her natural sorrow in booze = Soul Gem OK!

That, or all those Grief Seeds Kyubey has apparently been chowing down were actually being stored in his food pouch for her.
Second point is possible, first point isn't as far as I can tell.

The probable scenario with Soul Gems is that they provide a constant (but negligible) drain of magic to control the body, and thus would eventually darken whether you use magic consciously or not. Even if this isn't outright confirmed it pretty much has to be true, else there wouldn't have been a way for the first Witch to be born (since the first Puella Magi would have been born first, without Witches to fight).
Old 2011-05-06, 16:25   Link #139
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
So this is what Sayaka should have done...
A pint of Morning Rescue, and who's that Kamijou anyway?
Old 2011-05-06, 23:39   Link #140
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Wait, this was an actual question? I thought it was hypothetical or something; like, if by some odd luck somebody who knew how to use Rule Breaker and had an inclination to do so had it in their possession, would it work on the Puella Magi? If it's a serious question of the functionality of it in a story then, yeah, there are bigger problems than whether or not it'd work.
Yeah... I saw bigger problems using Rule Breaker (Rule Breaker is qualified to break contracts from Kyubey). Problems I could see would be:
- use of being a Puella Magi if someone will break contracts.
- if the Puella Magi likes it or not.
- Kyubey's/Homura's/Madoka's/Kyoko's/Mami's/Sayaka's reaction.
- etc.

Tags
discussion, fanfiction