AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 17 24.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 18.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 13.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.80%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.45%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.45%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-15, 14:28   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
Spoiler for question to the manga peeps:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-16, 09:41   Link #22
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Average. Nothing happened, the whole "Anti-Kira HQ" idea is cheesy as hell, I'm not sure why anyone would care about Mogi out of sudden, the gaijins can provide a good entertainment Mission Impossible-style action inside Yotsuba's HQ, but I'm afraid they won't, L vs Light's fight was nicely animated but the dialogue was stupid, overall, Death Note will most probably be uninteresting until real Light comes back.
Old 2007-02-16, 10:55   Link #23
Super Ska Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
This ep was kinda weak...very slow tbh

Spoiler for question to the manga peeps:
Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2007-02-17, 00:24   Link #24
Pakxenon
popcorn

And thus, with Light-o-sama's megalomanianical ways still supressed, Death Note is becoming less and less enjoyable. However, the fight and Aizawa's resolve makes this episode shine. 8/10.
Old 2007-02-17, 04:04   Link #25
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

judging from the answers i got from manga peeps, i think we'll see a lot more action after this arc
Old 2007-02-17, 05:41   Link #26
anselfir
Style Über Alles

well isee now that the death note thing is turning into a statement on ordinary "justice system" whih i find horribly boring and plagued with contradictions.
Old 2007-02-17, 16:40   Link #27
Rurik
Golden

The thing that I liked the most about the chapter was L's face expresions when he was "depressed"

After that, the chapter was kind of slow for me, The fight was Ok, but I just dont picture L or Light doing that kind of stuffs.
Old 2007-02-18, 15:47   Link #28
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, i am not as disappointed with the recent developments as some of the people here seem to be, but i agree on one thing - this barely seems like the show that got me hooked.

The whole "lets build an anti-Kira skyscraper" seems like bullcrap to me. (not to mention they messed up the height beyound belief...23 ? seemed more like 123 to me)

I just hope that we get the old Light back soon. Not that it is that bad, it just is not what i singed up for in this case. It just does not give you the thrills you would normally get from a DN episode.
Old 2007-02-19, 03:11   Link #29
Cooler1339

I think this is the worst episode of Death Note so far. Every other episode had some kind of cool intense scene, but this one had nothing. Even the fight between Light and L was really stupid, could have been much better.
Old 2007-02-19, 16:34   Link #30
Behbista

This episode was definitely slower than previous episodes, no huge plot twists, a few humerous and serious dialogues. However, one thing I noticed is that the animation of the main characters dramatically shifted, both in how they were drawn and in their movement. It still had the intensity that I love about this anime (when light and L were fighting compaired to previously when L was speaking on the 2 cell phones). Does anyone know if the change in the character's drawing and animation was done to represent a "lighter side" of light and misa-misa? or did they hire on some new artists who brought a new style to the drawingboard?
Old 2007-02-19, 22:43   Link #31
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Partners

Nothing new or outstanding happened for this episode. In average the plot was generic, but it allowed to me to make a further insight on L.
Spoiler:

And not only that but also to compare possibilities for a different outcome on Light, had he never came in contact with the Death Note.
Spoiler:

What I learned in this episode?
Spoiler:

This episode was about choices. Where to head on from now since the case has protrude different types of ramifications which in some or another forces each member of the investigation team to make a decision and then incur a sacrifice.
Spoiler:

I suspect the writers already planned to develop upon Aizawa and Matsudas' characters to fill in the story, so as to make necessary cuts from the manga material to adapt them into the anime and in that way making the transition from manga to anime go smoothly without cramming too much stuff into episodes when a climax is about to peak.
Old 2007-02-20, 08:46   Link #32
Antonik

No episode 19 this week?
Old 2007-02-20, 16:13   Link #33
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Something is bothering me, and perhaps it has been answered somewhere : why did Raito's personality change ?
Yes, he lost all memories related to the DN, which means he should be back to normal : distant, arrogant, and oblivious to his surroundings...

I don't remember DN can change people personality, or is it a new feature of the note ?
Old 2007-02-20, 16:44   Link #34
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post
Something is bothering me, and perhaps it has been answered somewhere : why did Raito's personality change ?
Yes, he lost all memories related to the DN, which means he should be back to normal : distant, arrogant, and oblivious to his surroundings...
I don't know if there's actually a change. I think that with your adjectives you're referring to the Light we got to see at the beginning of the series, especially when at home alone. But if you refer to his being "kind" with L, this was his behavious also when he owned the Death Note. What is gone is just the dark second personality of him.

The DN departure has erased just the memories about DN's related events. Everything else was left untouched, so since he was already nice and cooperative with the police force when aware of being Kira, now it has to be believed that, with the dark personality gone, he's being like that even more.
And I think he's not even acting, since Kira discovery, other than a point for his honor, his also the only way to see the end of the tunnel, if there's one.

I gave this episode a 7. It really did bring few new happenings, and I think that in 20 minutes they could have also have moved the Yotsuba affair a bit more ahead. They focused a bit too much on the whole "in or out of the police" part, seeing how predictable was that L was just testing Aizawa. L to trust two criminals was actually surprising.
They showed how Matsuda feels useless in this episode, and not casually in the next one he'll likely be the protagonist (even the episode is titled "Matsuda"). With the Yotsuba arc, Light's loss of DN, no shinigamis on screen and focus on secondary characters the anime is living the first "down" phase of its whole, after a ton of "ups".
Old 2007-02-20, 16:45   Link #35
Antonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post

I don't remember DN can change people personality, or is it a new feature of the note ?
Well its not like he's blanked out everything since getting the death note. Now if he couldn't remember anything then he'd be the same as he was in the beginning. But due to plot development Light changed ,so after losing the death note he remembers everything hes been doing and fighting for and its become a part of him.( even if its fake memories or he filled in the blanks himself)

Hope this makes sense, writing ain't my strong point
Old 2007-02-20, 17:43   Link #36
Pandalax

The last two episodes were sort of too unrealistic. So far, I don't see the reason of the new headquarters. It's built in the middle of nowhere and it would only raise suspicions. And of course, they don't explain L's unlimited source of money. It seems like the creator was at a road block in the story and he needed to remove the road blocks in some unreasonable ways.

It also seems like losing the ownership of the death note controls Raito's personality or rather restricts him from doing certain things - ie manipulating Misa's emotions. I hope he returns to his old self because he is sounding rather stupid right now (especially the last scene in this episode =.= )
Old 2007-02-20, 18:02   Link #37
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I don't know if there's actually a change. I think that with your adjectives you're referring to the Light we got to see at the beginning of the series, especially when at home alone. But if you refer to his being "kind" with L, this was his behavious also when he owned the Death Note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonik View Post
Well its not like he's blanked out everything since getting the death note. Now if he couldn't remember anything then he'd be the same as he was in the beginning. But due to plot development Light changed ,so after losing the death note he remembers everything hes been doing and fighting for and its become a part of him.( even if its fake memories or he filled in the blanks himself)

Hope this makes sense, writing ain't my strong point
Hello, Pelli ^___^
Yes, I was referring to Raito as we saw him in the very first episode : gloomy, acting high and mighty, thinking, as he said himself, that the "world is rotten".
Besides, it's true he accepted Ls friendship, but to serve his own motive.

As Antonik said, I think Raito's personality is changing with the flow of events, since he's not the main actor (Kira) anymore, but the pursuer.

The doppelganger situation, to sum it up.
Old 2007-02-20, 19:29   Link #38
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
which means he should be back to normal : distant, arrogant, and oblivious to his surroundings...
That would be true if his circumstances had returned to the beginning of the story. But if he truly has lost his memory, then he is currently being suspected of Kira and part of the Kira task force to find a mass murderer. At the beginning of the story he was a just an average high school kid.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-02-20, 20:27   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
At the beginning of the story he was a just an average high school kid.
I wouldn't say average. Its linked to his genius side, but listening to what Light has to say before he finds the Death Note, that there leads you to understand that his mind is not like a normal school kids. I believe thats what Tsugumi Ohba was trying to get at when writing the script for the beginning of the story.

I have this theory about people losing memory of the Death Note. It first came to me when thinking about Misa's character, sure she isn't the smartest character, but she certainly loses a few brain cells after having her memory wiped of everything that happened. Now she's just a girl in love, so of course she's going to be acting this way - but she was just a girl in love while having the Death Note. She didn't care about killing people or what not, she just wanted Light to love her, the same way without having a Death Note. The Death Note must leave some kind of scare on the person, or it wouldn't be that easy to just 'throw it away'.

Light's attitude is much easier to understand. He comes to while being locked up, and he deep down understands that he isn't Kira - of course he would, he has no idea about what happened. So its that part right there that drives his reason for wanting to find Kira now, well.. most of it anyway.
Old 2007-02-20, 20:47   Link #40
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Talking

The show has definitely toned down after all the last couple of what i would call extreme episodes. Its like riding on a train at 300mph then some just slams on the breaks. Im sure the story will pick up again but my mind has just been so screwed up with trying to figure out everything that has happened and trying to predict what will happen.

The introduction of 2 new character that are pretty shady might make things interesting. God L is loaded with the new headquarters and being able to take care of the members financial needs for life for the love jebes L needs to drop me some cash.

Best part of this ep Light and L kicking the shit out of each other while Misa Misa watches.