AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-01, 15:06   Link #121
Namingway

Well, nothing in life is ever simple, especially when you don't know jack about computers are trying to install a game entirely in Japanese..

Ok, I got the east asian language files from the torrent. I even managed to figure out that I needed to request their installation, and then redirect the path to the file I downloaded. I believe that I have done this correctly. Japanese appears in the list of availible languages, and there's a little icon in my task bar that has a english/japanese switch on it.

However, it's still not letting me install the game! The language that appears in the installer has different symbols in it, but it's not Japanese. Do I need to fiddle around with the non-unicode stuff in regional language options? Japanese is checked amongst the languages there. I have other languages checked there too, do I need to uncheck those?

Maybe this problem could be solved with AppLocale, but I can't even download that! I got to microsoft's site and now I can't get windows verified. It asks for the little windows security bar on the top, which appears only when inconvienient, and not when I need it. (Today being the first time I EVER needed it.) I don't know how to get the bar to pop up, and when I go the alternate method of verifing windows, the link is broken.

So, I'm stuck again. I really suck with computers. And amongst my friends, I'M the one who knows the most!

Sigh...
Old 2007-07-01, 15:15   Link #122
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namingway View Post

Do I need to fiddle around with the non-unicode stuff in regional language options? Japanese is checked amongst the languages there. I have other languages checked there too, do I need to uncheck those?

gh...
You need to:

regional setting --> advanced -> set non-unicode idiom to japanese (it will ask to restart the PC)
Old 2007-07-01, 15:26   Link #123
Shion's Sanity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shion's Sanity View Post
Just download Microsoft's Japanese language support, and the game should work just fine.
^

Just do that. It's fast, it's easy, and you don't have to restart or mess with your computer to make it work.
Old 2007-07-02, 16:09   Link #124
Namingway

I'm a bit late with this reply, but that's because your advice worked! I finally got to play it! And wow, it was definately well worth the effort! Very good writing! Also, I'm glad I watched the anime first. The anime does a very good job of making Higurashi into a horror story. It grips you, and it moves fast. The game, however, is very much beyond a simple horror story. So much more deep and meaningful, with extremely good character development. I already knew it was going to be good because of the TIPS and other writeups here on the forums, but the game exceeded even my loftiest of expecations.

Ahh.. if only I could read Japanese.. I really have to buckle down and learn the language, but it's pretty hard to make yourself put that much work into a hobby.

Well, I have to thank that other forum for helping me, then I'm off the Hinamizawa club site to see how far along in the translation they are.

Thanks again for helping me to enjoy such a quality peice of writing
Old 2007-07-02, 16:44   Link #125
Shion's Sanity
Banned

Whose advice worked exactly?O_o
Old 2007-07-02, 19:44   Link #126
Namingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
You need to:

regional setting --> advanced -> set non-unicode idiom to japanese (it will ask to restart the PC)

This advice, actually. I had missed one of the unicode options. But it was still a collaborative effort from the boards that I asked for help. This one and the Touhouwiki image board, believe it or not.

After coming back from the Hinamizawa club site, I'm a bit disapointed though. I turns out that I'm competely up to date on the game and manga translations. Now I have little choice but to learn Japanese, since all the translation projects seem to have come to a standstill.

Oh well, I had planned to learn anyway. It would make my hobbies so much simpler, yet so much more complicated in the short run.
Old 2007-07-02, 19:49   Link #127
Shion's Sanity
Banned

If you say so. Mine would have been simpler though.O_O
Old 2007-07-02, 19:53   Link #128
MrZombie

They are at a standstill right now, but there are plans to get them going again.
Old 2007-07-02, 20:37   Link #129
Namingway

I wonder what will happen first, will I learn Japanese, or will they come out with all the translations for the game, I wonder?
Old 2007-07-02, 21:33   Link #130
MrZombie

Hey, they are trying.
Old 2007-07-03, 21:33   Link #131
chrno_the_sinner

HinamizawaClub will be getting its main translator (freakman) back relatively soon(ish), so translations should be coming out within the next few months.
Old 2007-07-03, 23:07   Link #132
Namingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZombie View Post
Hey, they are trying.
I didn't really mean to imply that they were slow, I just mean that they have a lot of work ahead of them. Also, it's not just the translations, it's a matter of coding as well. You have to figure that they only have maybe... 5% of the game translated so far? It's a big project. I actually stand a pretty good chance in this race
Old 2007-08-27, 16:27   Link #133
Xaevier

Send a message via AIM to Xaevier
Links dead. I could only manage to get the downloads for chapters 3,6,7 to work. can anyone mirror to the other ones?
Old 2007-08-27, 16:38   Link #134
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

err... IIRC, you only need the chapter 7 patch for the whole thing... right? (well i always deleted the english folder when a new release was available)

EDIT : i've just tested it again, and i was right: you just need the chapter6-7 patch. the earlier chapters are included.
Old 2007-08-28, 00:15   Link #135
Xaevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
err... IIRC, you only need the chapter 7 patch for the whole thing... right? (well i always deleted the english folder when a new release was available)

EDIT : i've just tested it again, and i was right: you just need the chapter6-7 patch. the earlier chapters are included.
Oh nice thanks for the info!

Just bought the games cant wait to play em.

Keep up the translating guys <3

Last edited by Xaevier; 2007-08-28 at 00:29. Reason: Adding Something Extra
Old 2007-08-31, 16:03   Link #136
Xaevier

Hmm, I got the stuff from http://hinamizawaclub.com/ for the chapter but the earlier links for the question/answer arc translations that were finished seemed to be dead. Atleast i think from the earlier posts that some of Onikakushi-hen was translated?

I don't know im somewhat confused as to what has/has not been translated yet as this link zettai.makenaidesuwayo.com does not seem to work
Old 2007-08-31, 16:09   Link #137
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Indeed, some members of Hinamizawa Club Forum are currently translating Onikakushi-hen. the first 3 chapters are translated, but not working, as they are going to release the fourth chapter soon.
There isn't any plan for the moment if any other Higurashi chapter will be translated, especially that many people are currently working on Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

that said, here is a working link for the patch Onikakushi 1-3:
http://downloads.visualnews.net/comm...ushi-hen_3.zip
Old 2007-08-31, 19:40   Link #138
MrZombie

Well. I have proofed the chapter 4 translation and had sent to the guy that'll encoded it. I'm currently going over chapters 1-3 to release a better quality translation.

A little word of warning, the translator is British and he wanted any British idioms left alone. As well it's written in a more formal style.
Old 2007-08-31, 20:40   Link #139
Xaevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZombie View Post
Well. I have proofed the chapter 4 translation and had sent to the guy that'll encoded it. I'm currently going over chapters 1-3 to release a better quality translation.

A little word of warning, the translator is British and he wanted any British idioms left alone. As well it's written in a more formal style.
Alright cool, I went through the first 3 chapters and I enjoyed em, can't wait for the 4'th.
Old 2007-09-04, 06:18   Link #140
Mr Fist

I have a question, and I think this may have been asked earlier but I'm not sure...anyway.

I live in Australia, and I'm desperate to play this game, but I'm worried that it may not work on my PC. I did run a trial version (untranslated) and it did work somewhat.

So is it at all possible? I have XP by the way...
Closed Thread