AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 07:16   Link #21
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
I've just had a small disagreement with a fellow fansubber about the amount of lead-in and lead-out that should be used in releases. This was brought about by him saying that 50ms is more than enough, whereas I said that it wasn't due to the audio/visual mismatch that plagues timing.

So, I thought I'd get a quick headcount, for completeness sake, to satisfy my curiosity on whether I'm the only timer who uses quite long lead-ins and outs (I try to standardize both at 250ms - sometimes less for lead-outs).

So timers, opinions please?
It really comes down to everyone's style, sometimes it may be prudent to use slightly different numbers based on the line. Short lines like "Hi" wont need as much lead in / lead out as 2-line monologues.

I personally have found that lead in is much less than lead out for visual clarity. Best bet is to play with some numbers and see how it looks, what's comfortable to read.

Try a couple and test it on a friend (someone who dosent already know what the line sais, they'll actually have to read it to get it all).
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 03:04   Link #22
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I must be the last person in here to champion Sub Station Alpha and also the last timer in here that primarily uses audio timing.

I prefer a small lead in and lead out, determined by whether consecutive lines are spoken by the same person. 100 ms is more than enough.

But hey, as long as the subs appear when they need to that's all I care about. Timing's a grunt work anyway.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:15   Link #23
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
I must be the last person in here to champion Sub Station Alpha and also the last timer in here that primarily uses audio timing.
You still use SSA to time? Any particular reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
Timing's a grunt work anyway.
Yes... yes it is.... I hate it.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 08:43   Link #24
cyth
Banned

Maybe because he's used to it. I know people that time a standard anime episode in 45 minutes using SSA and complementary tools. If that's not considered fast, I don't know what is. Just because there are "better" tools available doesn't mean they work for everyone and anyone. Habit is like a comfortable bed; easy to get in, hard to get out.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 14:53   Link #25
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post
You still use SSA to time? Any particular reason?
Hey, I use Sabbu!
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote