AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-11-12, 11:59   Link #35041
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

European lander Philae succefully lands on comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko !

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IW0S520141112
Old 2014-11-12, 14:06   Link #35042
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Conservatives Overwhelmingly Back Net Neutrality, Poll Finds

I bet those three who were against it now look like fools.
Old 2014-11-12, 14:29   Link #35043
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post

Well done Vexx. Thank you and your colleagues for your part in humanity.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-11-15, 23:44   Link #35044
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://manila.coconuts.co/2014/11/13...-jump-building

A sad thing in my alma matter where a student was willing to off himself cause of issues with his family. Many people suspects that it may be with parents' way of raising him. I don't know the details, but both alumni and student parents feel that they should have privacy.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-11-16, 10:59   Link #35045
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://manila.coconuts.co/2014/11/13...-jump-building

A sad thing in my alma matter where a student was willing to off himself cause of issues with his family. Many people suspects that it may be with parents' way of raising him. I don't know the details, but both alumni and student parents feel that they should have privacy.
Whoa you're from Xavier too?

That looks like the third floor of the HS building. Could be mistaken since I graduated 10 years ago. Was probably bound to happen when you consider the pressures many Filipino-Chinese parents put on their kids. Once knew a guy who also tried to off himself, of course he never actually tried jumping from the HS building, which is kind of high I suppose.
Old 2014-11-17, 00:37   Link #35046
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Nice to meet another Xavierian too.

Yeah, you're right. I kinda get that feeling too, except suicide isn't an option since it's a coward's way out.

Only real problem back then for me were bullies, betting and the occasional fist fight.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-11-17, 07:27   Link #35047
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Nice to meet another Xavierian too.

Yeah, you're right. I kinda get that feeling too, except suicide isn't an option since it's a coward's way out.

Only real problem back then for me were bullies, betting and the occasional fist fight.
Suicide is not a coward's way out. It is a personalised factory reset.

The point is that, since you lose everything and you have nothing to lose, why not?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-11-17, 08:22   Link #35048
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Killing yourself takes a lot of guts and isn't something you decide to do on a whim. I'd call that anything but cowardly. Most people who do it have reached rock-bottom and don't see any other way out. More efforts should be made to not let it get this far in the future for other people.
Old 2014-11-17, 08:52   Link #35049
oompa loompa

Quote:
\... since it's a coward's way out.

Wow dude you're so brave because you didn't resort to suicide because a few bullies picked on you. You should get a medal

a cowards way out? seriously?
Old 2014-11-17, 11:04   Link #35050
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The point is that, since you lose everything and you have nothing to lose, why not?
And one would say having the resolve to go through all that without resorting to suicide takes way more guts.

Suicide may not be coward's way out, but not being suicidal is definitely the braver way forward. Though I guess coming from someone who've been living in relatively decent conditions and haven't had a depression might not sound like much.

I would say glorifying suicide is insensitive to the people left behind, while calling it cowardly is rude. It's a lose-lose situation so I'd say just don't talk about it.
Old 2014-11-17, 12:38   Link #35051
maplehurry

Quote:

Well, for some suicide survivors, they do manage to live a decent life afterward.
Old 2014-11-17, 13:04   Link #35052
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
And one would say having the resolve to go through all that without resorting to suicide takes way more guts.

Suicide may not be coward's way out, but not being suicidal is definitely the braver way forward. Though I guess coming from someone who've been living in relatively decent conditions and haven't had a depression might not sound like much.

I would say glorifying suicide is insensitive to the people left behind, while calling it cowardly is rude. It's a lose-lose situation so I'd say just don't talk about it.
The world has 7 billion people. They will move on. One death will only be monetarily missed, there are still bills to be paid.

That is what mercy is about. Show the suffering some of that instead of pity; if you have nothing to share with these people, at least show them a way out.

Suicide is part and parcel of social darwinism as unpleasant as it sounds - it is for those who have nowhere to run. If you have a way out for them, step up and show them, if you intend to be a bystander, mind your own business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, for some suicide survivors, they do manage to live a decent life afterward.
If they manage to get that "depression/PTSD" tag off them or live a life large enough to overshadow it. I mix with a few people diagnosed with "depression" in the local otaku scene, and they still have that "chuunibyou" tag attached to them by the general public.

As entertaining as it gets to make fun of those who call them "emo", "mentally unstable", "childish"; these people are beyond help of any medicine or therapist. Ultimately, they really need to learn and know how to trust themselves - it is make or break; you can't exactly blame them for choosing the option of suicide.

And btw, do you know how much these people are worth to Big Pharma? Thanks to these people, I am confident in putting money in Eli Lilly. This is one hell of an awesome money-making literature. [/sarcasm]

Old 2014-11-17, 18:40   Link #35053
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Suicide is part and parcel of social darwinism as unpleasant as it sounds - it is for those who have nowhere to run. If you have a way out for them, step up and show them, if you intend to be a bystander, mind your own business.
That's actually my point as well. You're not exactly being a bystander either.

"suicide? why not?"
Do you really not realize how incredibly insensitive and inconsiderate that sounds?

If that's really the best you can say about the matter I really suggest we stop talking about this and mind our own businesses.
Old 2014-11-17, 20:17   Link #35054
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Wow dude you're so brave because you didn't resort to suicide because a few bullies picked on you. You should get a medal

a cowards way out? seriously?
Not me on the bully issue. I just slug 'em.

Suicide as a coward's way out. My mentors have told me that. Some of that may have come from my time in Catholic school.

On another note, police told media that the boy's attempt is not the first time he did a stunt.

Old 2014-11-18, 07:56   Link #35055
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post

Humanity's current greatest space achievement... 15 years of hard work and careful calculations... ground to dust by THAT BITCH AT THE BOTTOM.

Remember this bitch... she made humanity dumb....

And that's one of the reasons why Time wants to off Feminism

Spoiler:

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
Old 2014-11-18, 08:10   Link #35056
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
Humanity's current greatest space achievement... 15 years of hard work and careful calculations... ground to dust by THAT BITCH AT THE BOTTOM.

Remember this bitch... she made humanity dumb....

And that's one of the reasons why Time wants to off Feminism

Spoiler:
I agree, it was completely ridiculous. Was the shirt really that offensive? Or even offensive at all? I just don't get it. A lot of sites have jumped on the bandwagon as well, for example, jezebel, which doesn't blame the scientist, (but still essentially makes him out to be a prick) instead jumped on the backlash by people who thought criticizing him for the shirt was ridiculous. Apparently there were 'death threats' which constituted saying things like " Jump off a cliff " or " go kill yourself " ; stuff which is, (unfortunately or not) extremely commonplace on the internet, and certainly not what I would call a 'death threat'. Sure, there is a point to be made that you shouldn't say things like that, I get it. But where are the articles (on websites like jezebel) condemning the treatment of Matt Taylor? Or for that matter, trying to shift the focus from his shirt to the several brilliant women who also took part in the Rosetta mission?

It's possible that because I'm a guy I don't really see the shirt as offensive, or maybe it has something to do with my upbringing, it's entirely possible and I want to have an open mind about this. Can someone explain to me why this whole fiasco isn't absolutely ridiculous?

EDIT:

What I also really wonder is, is the opposite going on? That is, are we just trashing a few women who criticized him for a stupid reason, when no doubt the majority of posters found nothing offensive?

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2014-11-18 at 08:35.
Old 2014-11-18, 09:03   Link #35057
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I agree, it was completely ridiculous. Was the shirt really that offensive? Or even offensive at all? I just don't get it. A lot of sites have jumped on the bandwagon as well, for example, jezebel, which doesn't blame the scientist, (but still essentially makes him out to be a prick) instead jumped on the backlash by people who thought criticizing him for the shirt was ridiculous. Apparently there were 'death threats' which constituted saying things like " Jump off a cliff " or " go kill yourself " ; stuff which is, (unfortunately or not) extremely commonplace on the internet, and certainly not what I would call a 'death threat'. Sure, there is a point to be made that you shouldn't say things like that, I get it. But where are the articles (on websites like jezebel) condemning the treatment of Matt Taylor? Or for that matter, trying to shift the focus from his shirt to the several brilliant women who also took part in the Rosetta mission?

It's possible that because I'm a guy I don't really see the shirt as offensive, or maybe it has something to do with my upbringing, it's entirely possible and I want to have an open mind about this. Can someone explain to me why this whole fiasco isn't absolutely ridiculous?

EDIT:

What I also really wonder is, is the opposite going on? That is, are we just trashing a few women who criticized him for a stupid reason, when no doubt the majority of posters found nothing offensive?
You can't help that some people are idiots, several feminist groups are still trashing him... they are dumbasses who had no idea that shirt in question was made by a woman to commemorate that day.. He is a jolly person which is quite rare for his field that's overly serious and his team likes him cause he brings color to their work and he shows that he enjoys his work and strikes a balance between work and things he like (maybe anime, or cartoons, but one thing is confirmed, he is aware of online memes and likes internet humor), including women, they had no say about his shirt but the sad part is that the very women in his team got shat on by the insults of the feminist groups. Then women go spouting things like this they should not be told on what to dress, not to insult them for what they wear etc. NOTE: There are a lot of shirts. Just look for them (Men are stupid, they should be stoned to death, All men should Die, and mind you, they are posted on those "feminist sites") (Note to self: Dear buddy, let's throw away that gentlemanly self I had in college and return my delinquent self back in High School, time to take to wear my Arnis (Mandatory PE subject on self defense) again whenever I go somewhere)
This just reeks of double standards caused by women since the 10 hrs. in New York shit.

Just look: Kim Kardashian's naked pictorial: Not Exploitation. or worst the pic in the link.
A Scientist's Shirt with anime girls in scanty costumes reminiscent of Charlies Angels: OMG! Let's throw an angry lowlife tantrum with pitchforks

They tell us not to harass them if they wear racy clothes, but we get chastised for doing the same? That doesn't help that feminist supporters of Matt got themselves hit too...

Just imagine, this guy is a resident of the internet, he should be used to insults, in fact he keeps an active account and responds to any questions about his work/science even if the questions were serious or the people on the other line are trolling, just what the hell did these women do to push him that far...

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.

Last edited by SineMora; 2014-11-18 at 09:14.
Old 2014-11-18, 14:53   Link #35058
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The feminist movement has already been hijacked by the man hating mysoginist fringe anyway.
Old 2014-11-18, 15:07   Link #35059
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The feminist movement has already been hijacked by the man hating mysoginist fringe anyway.
Do you mean misandrist? Because I think it might be possibe for people to be both misogynists and misandrists at the same time

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2014-11-18 at 15:17.
Old 2014-11-18, 15:19   Link #35060
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

At this point, from reading internet comments, I suspect that there is, if not a conspiracy, a convergence of interests in making people look like lunatics.

Every side has its morons and extremists. But I suspect they somehow get an overwhelming, disproportionate amount of exposure.

So you can't be a feminist without being a man hating crazy, you can't be against man hating crazies without in turn being some kind of rapist, you can't be a muslim without being an ISIS terrorist, you can't care about animal welfare without being an eco-terrorist. And so on.

Oh, and of course, every movement you're against is monolithic, so as a whole they're hypocrites, because it's the same people criticizing his shirt and praising Kim Kardashian (do the latter even exist?).

Or maybe the world really is full of lunatics and I should be getting out more. Or less. Yeah, definitely less.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international