AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-03-08, 11:36   Link #301
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I haven't seen this anime but from the looks it's more comedy than romance. a lot of people seem to like it though

carnival phantasm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Phantasm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k62pZ_qu9k
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 13:56   Link #302
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I don't know if Ano Natsu de Matteru was mentioned before but it has been recently compared to ano hana and onegai teacher.

here is a trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2v9ZMAnydY
Old 2012-03-08, 13:59   Link #303
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolido17 View Post
I haven't seen this anime but from the looks it's more comedy than romance. a lot of people seem to like it though
carnival phantasm
Carnival Phantasm is very much an anime for Type-Moon fans who already experienced playing Fate/Stay Night & Tsukihime visual novels and a little bit of Type-Moon’s other works like Kara no Kyoukai or Melty Blood. Without experiencing those works first, you’ll have a hard time understanding what this parody series is all about, let alone enjoy it. Not even experiencing F/SN & Tsukihime anime will be enough for you to fully comprehend this series. And you are right, this IS a comedy/parody through and through.
Old 2012-03-08, 14:09   Link #304
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I find a new title that appeals to you and it's called Namiiro (which I'm currently reading) : the 2011 ongoing (5 chapters have been released) romantic comedy manga is focused on a guy who always dream of a princess asking him to dance with him in the school festival. One day, he meet a beautiful girl who's likely to be the princess of his dream. The story is a bit similar to Ichigo 100%.
Spoiler for pic:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 15:07   Link #305
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh, thank you for all the new titles incoming.

I'm currently rewatching Toradora, because i was missing my favorites. I'll start Welcome to the NHK tomorrow, and see if it's worth it. My priority list is a bit messed up at the moment, but i still favor animes to mangas or novels (Unless we are talking about Hidan no Aria or Haruhi, or Boku wa tomodachi to a lesser extent). However, that picture of Namiiro is too much appealing, so it's definitely going to be an exception and end up on my list. Thank you as always.

I'll avoid Carnival phantasm, considering it's only a comedy/parody, and taking into account that i'm unexperienced in that kind of animes of that house.

PS
If you know where i can find the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th volumes of Hidan no Aria fully (fan)translated in english, i'd be very grateful, because on bakatsuki it stops at 7th, and the others are just partially translated. Thank you very much.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 10:29   Link #306
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well...

Like you said the romances still out there aren't perfect fits for your requirements, but I'll give it my best shot:

Maison Ikkoku is an old classic romance that a lot of current romances still go back to to mine for material. Male lead- starts as a bit of a loser, but slowly develops into a man who can deserve to win the girl. Has one of the most satisfying endings in all of romance. Main drawback for you is that the story has slow development. (50+ episodes)

Dororon Enma-kun Meera Meera It's more of an ecchi comedy, but it does have romance.

Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe are both romances you might want to consider. They are not squeals, rather they are alternate tellings of different stories using the same characters. Muyo has the better character depictions and art (as it came first and was an OVA), Universe has the better plot line in my opinion. Basic hook is that Tenchi Misaki is training with his grandfather when several alien women end up staying at his home for various reasons, dragging him off into an adventure in space.

Katanagatari for some samurai action. A bit dialogue heavy the first 3 episodes.

Ano Natsu de Matteru is currently airing, you'd probably enjoy it.

I second your decision to watch Mirai Nikki.

Crest of the Stars, although the romance stays subtext up until Banner II and III. Still it's a great show, so if you are in the mood for a space opera this might be a good pick.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is another classic show, has mecha- but trust me, it is nothing like power rangers. No really, watch two episodes, no one could ever conceive of NGE as traditional mecha- it takes the Mecha genre and totally upends it. Any way, romance is mainly approached as a major element of Shinji's wider attempts to make connections with other people, and so is not giving first billing in the show, but it is certainly there. (Also, the Asuka-Rei love triangle has continued to impact almost all other romance shows since then.)

Cross Game is a romance from just 2 years ago. It's another show with slow development, but it is one of Adachi's best, and Adachi is considered the best sports romance manga author.

Ranma 1/2 is a classic romantic slapstick comedy. The main complaint most people have is that the ending is left open ended (the manga is slightly better at that). Japanese dub is better than the English one.

Chrome Shelled Regios is a mix of action and romance, the anime only ending isn't that great, but worth watching for Felli Loss alone.

Love Hina, I'm sure you've heard of it.

Inuyasha, the main drawback is that there is a lot of filler. Also, the English dub is much better than the Japanese one.

Hayate the Combat Butler although there is a bit of going nowhere fast.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 10:41   Link #307
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I watched this anime a long ago, but I'll explain to Classified Info about the new important elements of the story (attention spoilers !) :

Spoiler for second half of the story:
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-09, 11:51   Link #309
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I second KoiChoco and Nyaruko. Here's my recommandations for upcoming anime :

Koiken! is a 2012 ongoing romantic comedy based on a mobile phone game. The story is focused on a second-year highschool student who meet a young girl of his dream founding a romance club for beginners. The plot looks very educationnal and is described as "the Art of Romance" anime.

Dusk maiden of Amnesia is a 2012 upcoming (will have 12 episodes from April to June) supernatural mystery romance TV anime based on a manga by Maybe. It sets in a old middle school haunted by spirits and old mysteries. Teiichi is a average third-year student who meet a ghost named Yuko, who he's only able to see her. But Yuko lost her entire memory (even her death) so Teiichi create an investigation club in order to find Yuko's memory. The mystery occured on this one is à la Gosick style. Not to mention that this one do not have any mad stuff (like excessive gore) in it, even though it has ghost stories in it. The romance pacing is slow but not boring.

I'll also recommend Sakamachi no Apollon to Classified Info. The 2012 upcoming 11-episode slice-of-life romance TV anime sets in summer 1966. It follows a 16 years old highschool student named Kaoru who his parents sent him to a local highschool in Hiroshima. One day, he meet a young boy of his age who's a major fan of jazz music. Even though the music is present in this series, it isn't a main theme, the main themes about the show is the relationships between characters and a romance between Kaoru and his female childhood friend.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-09, 13:55   Link #310
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Hey classified have you ever tried giving the manga to love ru darkness a try? it picks up after the ending of motto to love ru.I got to say I found this more enjoyable than the anime because there is actually a plot plus it’s a lot more ecchi and the artwork is just amazing.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-15 at 13:14. Reason: Don't link to that site here!
Old 2012-03-09, 14:02   Link #311
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well...

Like you said the romances still out there aren't perfect fits for your requirements, but I'll give it my best shot:

Maison Ikkoku is an old classic romance that a lot of current romances still go back to to mine for material. Male lead- starts as a bit of a loser, but slowly develops into a man who can deserve to win the girl. Has one of the most satisfying endings in all of romance. Main drawback for you is that the story has slow development. (50+ episodes)
Just by how you described it, i was going to watch it; however, after having checked some screenshot, i'll have to skip this one; the main reason i don't like that kind of old graphic is because of the hairstyles: i hate those cottoned hairs, Ranma's style. That's my main issue.

Dororon Enma-kun Meera Meera It's more of an ecchi comedy, but it does have romance.
If it's like Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan, where the protagonist is a girl but nonetheless loveable (because of the generous fanservice, of course), then i'm most likely going to watch it. If it's as generous as that tho.

Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe are both romances you might want to consider. They are not squeals, rather they are alternate tellings of different stories using the same characters. Muyo has the better character depictions and art (as it came first and was an OVA), Universe has the better plot line in my opinion. Basic hook is that Tenchi Misaki is training with his grandfather when several alien women end up staying at his home for various reasons, dragging him off into an adventure in space.
The animation reminds me of Shuffle, but i don't think the plot is as silly as that, so i'm probably going to check this out.

Katanagatari for some samurai action. A bit dialogue heavy the first 3 episodes.
This title got previously suggested, but i skipped it on purpose because the artwork didn't appeal me much and because it was settled during the samurai's period, or whatever is called. I'm not a fan of animes settled in the old Japan/China, wars between kingdoms and stuff like that.

Ano Natsu de Matteru is currently airing, you'd probably enjoy it.
No matter what this anime is about, the first few screenshots that popped up by googling were enough. Definitely going to watch it when it finishes airing.

I second your decision to watch Mirai Nikki.
Oh right, i had to watch this before Welcome to the NHK. Oh well, it'll be the next.

Crest of the Stars, although the romance stays subtext up until Banner II and III. Still it's a great show, so if you are in the mood for a space opera this might be a good pick.
The main issue with this anime will surely be the pointy ears. It seems i can't get over this kind of "mutations", be it elven ears, or tails or cat/dog ears.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is another classic show, has mecha- but trust me, it is nothing like power rangers. No really, watch two episodes, no one could ever conceive of NGE as traditional mecha- it takes the Mecha genre and totally upends it. Any way, romance is mainly approached as a major element of Shinji's wider attempts to make connections with other people, and so is not giving first billing in the show, but it is certainly there. (Also, the Asuka-Rei love triangle has continued to impact almost all other romance shows since then.)
Oh ye, i never mentioned it in this topic, but i had already watched NGE. I actually watched only one of the OVAs, and i think it was Evangelion: you cannot advance, or probably i mistook the title. Anyways, it was when in the end
Spoiler for end:
. I have to say, that even tho it contained mecha, i didn't really mind it, and i put many hopes in that love triangle all the way (I liked the red haired girl). It also had some weird philosophy, it was indeed a particular anime, and somehow i enjoyed it. However, i didn't bother checking the series because i heard it was different from the OVAs, and more focused on action/other things. This was almost a year ago, basically when my interest in japanese animation began, so let me know if i'd better give this series a chance, or if you suggest me the other OVAs or whatever. I also liked the animation a lot.

Cross Game is a romance from just 2 years ago. It's another show with slow development, but it is one of Adachi's best, and Adachi is considered the best sports romance manga author.
Sadly i find sports animes boring, no matter how much romance there is in it. It's probably because the boy and the girl are often in some kind of competition, focusing more on the sport rather than the love relationships, or just because i don't like sports very much. This was the main issue when i watched Suzuka, that didn't even have that much sports in it. I still saw that this anime is one of the most loved, so i might give it a try

Ranma 1/2 is a classic romantic slapstick comedy. The main complaint most people have is that the ending is left open ended (the manga is slightly better at that). Japanese dub is better than the English one.
It was aired in my country, and even long ago. At the time i liked it for the action, because i didn't care about the romance, but now that my interests changed, i don't even have the interest in rewatching it, even tho it showed some tits from time to time. Still, iirc, the romance isn't even solved at the end.

Chrome Shelled Regios is a mix of action and romance, the anime only ending isn't that great, but worth watching for Felli Loss alone.
From some screenshots, it reminds me of IS. Is the amount of mecha, or better, of futuristic combat and battle armors/suits similar? If so, i don't think i'm going to enjoy it very much. I could barely enjoy the first episodes of Code Geass because of the futuristic background, so well, could you give me more infos about it?

Ye checked it out, and i discovered it was even aired in my country some time ago, but i dropped it because i didn't really like the artwork and the other girls, and the fact that the protagonist was getting thrown here and there all the time didn't appeal me much.

Inuyasha, the main drawback is that there is a lot of filler. Also, the English dub is much better than the Japanese one.
Like Ranma, this was aired in my country aswell, and happened to watch some episode. However, i happened to watch some episode for more than one year, and so i understood that this anime is endless. I never really got into it.

Hayate the Combat Butler although there is a bit of going nowhere fast.
Ye, already skipped because it seems it focuses too much on comedy, beside that it's too long.
I'll make sure to check out all the 2012 titles when they finish airing. Now i'll start Welcome to the NHK

Always thank you for your suggestions
Old 2012-03-09, 14:31   Link #312
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Do you accept watching these anime Arya's listed.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-03-09 at 15:31.
Old 2012-03-09, 19:51   Link #313
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'll try out H2O: Footprints in the Sand.

I didn't want to start True Tears because i feared from seeing the first screenshot, that the anime wouldn't go the way i want (In the background of the SS i saw, there are two girls: a long haired one, and a short haired one. I fear to get disappointed if the protagonist chooses the girl i don't want him to choose, so that's why i'm avoiding it: to not get disappointed, like it happened with mashiro iro. However, i'll eventually try it out)

Peach girl never appealed me. If i'm correct, the protagonist is the girl, but i don't even like her much.

I'd also prefer longer series. OVAs could be fine, as long as they are very good.

Anyways, i finished watching episode 15 of Welcome to the NHK, and i'm really enjoying it. It got some romance in it, the comedy comes mostly from the protagonist for obvious reasons, and it also concerns mature themes (suicide). It's slice of life, it isn't dramatic like Kimi ga nozomu eien, but at the same time deals with heavy themes. It is able to make me laugh and give me some Arakawa vibes, even tho they are two totally different animes. I'm also liking very much the artwork and the animation. I just prefer this kind of animation, where 20 years old people actually look like they're 20. Oh, forgot to say that i found that classic guitar/harmonica music background awesome. I just love it, and the first ending song is fucking badass. The riff at the beginning... and i usually hate foreign music, unless it's in english language. I even dislike the music of my own country, but this is the first time i was able to appreciate some jap song. This title is quickly climbing my classific.

I don't know who first named this title, or if it was just me happening to ask about it, but this title is badass. However, for tonight i'm done. I'll finish the remaining 9 eps tomorrow.
Old 2012-03-09, 21:42   Link #314
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
I'll make sure to check out all the 2012 titles when they finish airing. Now i'll start Welcome to the NHK

Always thank you for your suggestions
No problem. Glad some of them met with your approval.

To answer some of your questions:

Dororon Enma-kun Meera Meera the protagonist is the titular Enma-kun and is decidedly male. The story is told from the POV of a young girl who sees Enma as the hero sent to save humanity, but she's the narrator not the star of the show. Just click on the link in my previous post to see the opening- it's quite full of fanservice.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Sounds like you watched the second of the two Rebuild movies that are out.

Yeah, let me say that you should totally watch the TV series, followed by End of Evangelion. That's the original story, the Rebuild movies are a retelling of that story.

The first of the two Rebuild movies essentially covers the first 6 episodes of the show, and is a pretty good version, just with better graphics (and it handles Shinji's angst arc much better then the series), the secondary characters however are shafted in the movie so I tend to prefer the TV series version.

The second movie is... controversial among fans. Mainly because of what happens to Asuka (red haired girl). Although you'd have to watch the original show to fully understand why.

Asuka shows up in episode 8 in the series if I remember right. She was like a bomb going off- oh the infamous introduction scene: "Viewing fee!" *hair flip*

Even today it is still a great scene.

Cross Game: Thing about Adachi is that death and grief is always a big part of his stories. Ano Hana was the anime that made me think of Cross Game, although Cross Game isn't as melodramatic as Ano Hana. So yeah, give it least 3 episodes.

Chrome Shelled Regios is not mecha, so put your mind at rest about that. Yeah when fighting they wear some armor, but it's just armor, like the stuff a SWAT team wears. I wouldn't call them "battle suits." I'm not sure whether to call it futuristic or not... some elements are futuristic, but others are more fantastic.

Spoiler for Summary of the opening storyline (contains a few spoilers):

As for Maison Ikkoku, it's too bad you don't like the old style of animation. It doesn't bother me as long as the story is good, but I know some people can't stand it. (I grew up on the Starblazer's style in the 70's so it always makes me laugh to see it called "old style"). If you ever change your mind about the old style being unwatchable remember to give this one a shot.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 11:30   Link #315
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished watching Welcome to the NHK, and this is the first time i found an animated series so much... serious. Perhaps serious isn't the most fitting word here, but i just felt as it dealt with real life more than any other title out there. It focused on the story of this unlucky depressed protagonist, but without making the whole series too much heavy to bear or depressing. It exposed real life problems, it dealt with suicide more than once, yet i didn't find it depressing like Kimi ga nozomu eien, or Ef: a tale of memories. I'm not experienced in this field, so i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy this series so much, but i really loved it.

I would like to comment much more on this anime, but i'd probably be saying wrong things, because once again i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy it this much. Probably it was the comedy factor here and there, or the protagonist's situation that makes you sympathize with, or that awesome music background (classic guitar/harmonica), which was relaxing. The fact that it had a serious animation could also be, since i prefer animes with an artwork that is close to reality (Steins;Gate, Arakawa under the bridge, Haruhi suzumiya), or it could also be the message it delivered, or how it meticulously portrayed an ikkikomori's situation. It looks like i prefer psychological animes. Also, just so you know: there was no kiss whatsoever, but the romance in it for me was enough, and i didn't care really much about the whole "kiss scene" issue. I was just fine. But it could also be because the anime itself was overall awesome. It has become one of my favorites straight away. Any anime is okay, as long as it has some undergoing relationships like in here. I was fine from the first time i saw Misaki, and up to the end. That little tension, is really ok.

I didn't want to comment, yet i ended up writing so many lines. This series was really good, and i loved it. Tonight i'll think of starting Mirai Nikki; at the moment i'm sated.

EDIT
Just discovered there was a manga version of this series: does the manga go beyond what the anime tells? What about the romance itself? Does the story go beyond what the anime showed?

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-03-10 at 11:53.
Old 2012-03-10, 11:56   Link #316
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

since you liked welcome to NHK you might also want to try Durarara!!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6746/Durarara!!/
Old 2012-03-10, 12:15   Link #317
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
EDIT
Just discovered there was a manga version of this series: does the manga go beyond what the anime tells? What about the romance itself? Does the story go beyond what the anime showed?
The manga has more romance and story development than the anime. Read the manga (it has 12 volumes and it's finished recently in september 2010) first, then watch the anime (it has 20 of 26 episodes released for the moment) and compare between versions and choose which version is the better.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-10, 13:35   Link #318
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I have already finished Welcome to the NHK anime, and it was 24 episodes long. Wanted to know if the manga/book explores the story AFTER what happens in the anime.

Anyways, i spent the past 30 mins researching all the titles that got suggested in these days, making a list:

-Titles i plan to watch:
Spoiler for list1:

-Titles that might be watched
Spoiler for list2:

-Titles that must be watched when they finish airing:
Spoiler for list3:

-Other
Spoiler for list4:

PS: Thank you for notifying me that Hyakka Ryouran uncensored version came out. Already getting it and i planned to watch it tonight. Later i'll update my first post, after i get additional infos about those titles.

Always thank you for your concern.
Old 2012-03-10, 13:40   Link #319
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Finished watching Welcome to the NHK, and this is the first time i found an animated series so much... serious. Perhaps serious isn't the most fitting word here, but i just felt as it dealt with real life more than any other title out there. It focused on the story of this unlucky depressed protagonist, but without making the whole series too much heavy to bear or depressing. It exposed real life problems, it dealt with suicide more than once, yet i didn't find it depressing like Kimi ga nozomu eien, or Ef: a tale of memories. I'm not experienced in this field, so i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy this series so much, but i really loved it.
Maybe because Welcome to the NHK is a black comedy romance (like I said before). I think the following will help you understand more about black comedy. Here’s a description of black/dark comedy from Wiki:
Spoiler for Black/Dark Comedy description:

EDIT: Welcome to the NHK began as a novel then adapted into manga then later into anime. Each adaptation is quite different from each other in terms of themes and characterization. So, you can't exactly found the continuation of the anime in the other media. Still, the novel and the manga are worth a shot.
Old 2012-03-10, 16:12   Link #320
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I had started watching Horizon, on the middle of nowhere, but i'm just not getting the point of the story, and the more i watch it, the more i am distracted and barely follow the plot. The only reason i was watching it was for the guy groping boobs, but since even that's getting censored, i'm dropping it.

Starting Mirai nikki