AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2015-10-29, 12:17   Link #21
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelCreek View Post
Well that's kinda what I meant. Zoro always gets to stay near Luffy and doesn't get placed out of the story. (Happened as far back as Little Garden and Alabasta). It could have easily been Sanji instead of Zoro that stayed on Dressrossa.

I'm not saying Oda is strictly using the character popularity polls for who he keeps around in the story but I'm just pointing out that we do see a lot of Law and Zorro respectively. I actually prefer Sanji and hope he gets his time to shine soon.
I kinda have to disagree. While Sanji was seperated from the group, Zoro DID get more panel time in Little garden and Alabasta but Sanji got the better role. On Little Garden, all Zoro got to do was get stuck in wax while Luffy and Ussop fought; Sanji however was chatting with crocodile, and claiming a log pose that would get them back on track to the plot. In alabasta, Zoro got stuck with Luffy in a sinking jail cell, while Sanji got to play the role of the big damn hero.

Really, for most of the series, the only favortism that Zoro got over Sanji is the fact that Zoro is basically considered the second strongest crew member after Luffy and thus he always gets the second strongest enemy, while Sanji has to settle for the less impressive third strongest. But that's just how fights play out. Dressrosa is the only time where i feel like, in terms of Narrative and attention, Sanji got the short end of the stick compared to Zoro.

Granted, i really wish that instead of padding out Dressrosa(the pacing felt like it was really dragging), Oda would have checked in on Sanji and friends every now and then. It would have been awesome to actaully watch Sanji take on Big Mom's crew and see him and Nami lead their escape.
Old 2015-10-29, 13:18   Link #22
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

^ Yeah I guess that's true, Sanji does often get the more epic moments
I agree in wishing we could have seen more of Sanji during Dressrossa.

I feel like people are taking my words too seriously, I just mean to say that Luffy, Law, and Zoro are very prominent and they are also the top 3 on the polls. That's all. If I was a writer and was able to see who my fans liked the most I'd at least have that info in the back of my mind while writing.
PixelCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 13:21   Link #23
P_Dezz

Quote:
Well that's kinda what I meant. Zoro always gets to stay near Luffy and doesn't get placed out of the story. (Happened as far back as Little Garden and Alabasta). It could have easily been Sanji instead of Zoro that stayed on Dressrossa.

I'm not saying Oda is strictly using the character popularity polls for who he keeps around in the story but I'm just pointing out that we do see a lot of Law and Zorro respectively. I actually prefer Sanji and hope he gets his time to shine soon.
Sanji wouldn't have been able to deal with Pica, and probably not even Luffy considering his skill set. Zoro wouldn't be able to defeat Doflamingo, primarily because his busoshouku haki is not as powerful, and wouldn't be able to match him blow by blow. Sanji in retrospect just didn't fit in that story, especially when Oda wanted to establish Luffy's allies.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 13:25   Link #24
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

I disagree that Sanji couldn't take on Pika. I also disagree that Zoro wouldn't stand a chance against Doffy. But that's just me and I'm not ready to fill the page with a debate. I just agree to disagree.
Old 2015-10-29, 13:39   Link #25
Talendra

Quote:
I feel like people are taking my words too seriously, I just mean to say that Luffy, Law, and Zoro are very prominent and they are also the top 3 on the polls. That's all. If I was a writer and was able to see who my fans liked the most I'd at least have that info in the back of my mind while writing.
Maybe you are confusing cause and effect though. They story makes the polls, not the other way around. Oda made those three into reader favourites and I would argue that's the case in almost every work of fiction. People like stuff based of what has been shown to them before. An author that has been as long in the business as Oda is most likely not affected by popularity polls in such a way, that seems more like what might happen to a rookie.
Talendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 15:47   Link #26
itachi-san314

^that's not always the case with side characters like Law. Take Star Wars for instance. Fans went crazy for Boba Fett in ESB and he wasn't really that much of a character. I don't even think his name was said (maybe it was in a deleted scene that people didn't see anyway). He was just a cool character. I think Law is similar in that the fans have taken a bigger shine to him than the author thought would happen. Just my 2 cents though. Not really provable. I agree that obviously Luffy and Zoro are intentionally popular.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 16:13   Link #27
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
An author that has been as long in the business as Oda is most likely not affected by popularity polls in such a way, that seems more like what might happen to a rookie.
You may be right. But with such a long running series it'd be nice to know who your fans liked most. Like if everyone really liked a minor side character (like if Ryuunosuke actually hit #2 on the charts? ) I think Oda would take notice to that. Perhaps even make him appear briefly or find a way for Robin to remember him again (as a gag).

Ok, maybe not with Oda.. but if it was true, it could even effect the process of creating new characters. Like "wow everyone really liked this character.. perhaps in this new arc I will have a character that is sort of similar to that one, but try to make this one even better than the last!"

Like: Vivi - Rebecca, Arlong - Hordy. Although if it's the case, those ones seem to end up being very disappointing newcomers since we've seen it all before..

Of course there's really no way of knowing what goes on in Oda's head and the polls could just simply be for the fans to enjoy. But I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't think about it at least a little bit every now and again.

Last edited by PixelCreek; 2015-10-29 at 16:27.
Old 2015-10-29, 16:56   Link #28
Talendra

^ Yea, when it comes to minor characters (I might challenge it in Laws case, but you're right, we have no way of figuring that one out anyways) you two probably have a point... consider me convinced ^^
Old 2015-10-29, 19:08   Link #29
noktown

Quote:
I also disagree that Zoro wouldn't stand a chance against Doffy.
I would say if anything Zoro stood a better chance vs Doflamingo than Luffy, since he uses swords defending against strings would have been easier.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 19:18   Link #30
J4n1

I think the reason why Sanji went of instead of Zoro has nothing to do with their respective popularity, or power.
But all to do with their personalities.
I'm not going to say Sanji is a better leader, or smarter than Zoro (he isn't), but he is more, conventionally sane, of the two.

All in all, Sanji is better suited for independent action that includes avoiding combat or subterfuge.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 19:48   Link #31
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I would say if anything Zoro stood a better chance vs Doflamingo than Luffy, since he uses swords defending against strings would have been easier.
the same guy who couldn't cut the Birdcage?
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-30, 04:45   Link #32
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Hey, c'mon now, Birdcage isn't a fair argument
Old 2015-10-30, 04:57   Link #33
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Was anyone able to cut it?
Admiral Fujitori, Sabo and everyone else couldn't either. But you know what I think if Sabo, Admiral Fujitori, or Zoro ever had the same opportunities like Luffy did I think they would have defeated Daflamingo too.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-30, 07:34   Link #34
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Fujitora held back against the birdcage. He could have defeated Doflamingo at any point, but he bet on Luffy to prove a point instead.
Old 2015-10-30, 07:46   Link #35
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Was anyone able to cut it?
Admiral Fujitori, Sabo and everyone else couldn't either. But you know what I think if Sabo, Admiral Fujitori, or Zoro ever had the same opportunities like Luffy did I think they would have defeated Daflamingo too.
We still don't know what Zoro is fully capable of, that's why we can't really say that he could have bested Doflamingo. Pica barely scratched him, but he looked pretty fatigued after he took him down and he was just imbuing his swords with haki for a fairly short time.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 10:18   Link #36
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^Potential
If you look at all the battles that Zoro has fought in this entire one piece series. Pica was the easiest and the most annoying for Zoro (Besides Monet). Zoro took Pica out like a fly. The reason you don’t know Zoro’s full capabilities is because he hasn’t gone all out at full strength since the Thriller Bark arch (Kuma damaged him in thriller Bark, he was never fully recovered in Saboady two years ago). In the Dressrosa Arch there were many powerful characters. Admiral Fujitori, Vice Admiral Batilla, Vice Admiral Tusur, Former fleet Admiral Sengoku, Daflamingo, and many more. There was one chapter where Vice Admiral Bastilla was going to engage Zoro but was ordered to stand down by the Admiral Fujitori himself. Oda has had so many opportunities to push Zoro’s limit in the Dressrosa arch and he passed it up and gave Zoro Pica. I think Zoro is capable of taking on an Admiral. Can he defeat one no but would he lose to one no. I think Zoro could have taken Daflamingo on if he wanted to. I have yet to see someone push Zoro to his full potential.

Hack Devil Fruit?
Second for the rest of you guys out there, not being able to cut the string is not much of an argument at all. The reason I say this is some devil fruits have properties that can not be destroyed so easily or at all. Example Bartolomeo's Bari Bari No Mi powers. His barrier fruit is completely indestructible. I don't think any character that was in the Dressrosa Arch could break that barrier. Then you have Joze's Diamond fruit. Dracula Mihawk the strongest swordsmen in the world could not cut his armor. There are some fruits out there that have indestructible or nearly indestructible properties. Just because you can't destroy it does not make you weak. I have yet to see a Zoan with indestructible properties. Marco's fruit is the closest but not quite the definition of indestructible i am looking for.

Chapter 805
I would like to say that this was a good chapter. Second I am glad the Staw Hats have fame now. This literally changes the dynamics of the story. People will treat him differently with his bounty and his accomplishment. Every Island will know him for better or worse and they will not treat him like some random pirate anymore. For those with common sense and knowledge of the Straw hats they won't go challenging them out right. Most importantly a lot of things like story will start coming to Straw hat Crew rather then the crew going to them when Oda begins any arch. Most can no longer ignore the Straw hats when they arrive.
Old 2015-11-01, 07:29   Link #37
necrolyte

^Really well said. I also want to see how people will treat SH now when they are no longer rookies but really infamous crew and I will be somehow disappointed if even now some random groups atack them without fear of being killed.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-01, 14:01   Link #38
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
^Really well said. I also want to see how people will treat SH now when they are no longer rookies but really infamous crew and I will be somehow disappointed if even now some random groups atack them without fear of being killed.
Some will do so, simply out of pure bravado or stupid notion of making a name.
But i'd expect 99% of the people, marine, pirate or civilian, to just run for their lives.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-01, 14:23   Link #39
Talendra

If you expect people to run from the Straw Hats, you are forgetting just where they are sailing. Sure, we will get some comic relief scenes of fodder running away, or fodder trying to be brave and getting one-pannel'd, but that's about it. We are deep into the New World now, and while a lot of people won't be as strong as the SHs, the majority of them will be strong enough to not run away screaming.
Old 2015-11-01, 22:32   Link #40
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^Celebrities
Its not about just running away. Its about how the environment interact with the Straw Hat. Example Monet warned Ceaser about the Straw Hat and their bounties in the Punk Hazard Arch. She said to be careful with them because the bounty was old. Second Monet never tried to fight Luffy at all, when she had the opportunity she avoided him after he was not threat to her. When she went against Tashigi she assumed Zoro would not strike a women and ignored him. She knew with Luffy and Zoro that she was out matched and she never tried to confront them directly and she always tried to avoid them. Her reaction were different then the typical one piece character that wants to take the Straw Hats head on.

Luffy and his gang just took down Daflamingo. Do you honestly think the that the Straw Hats will be able to move around any Island freely anymore? If most were never willing to face Daflamingo down, what are the chances they will face down Luffy and his gang (who defeated Daflamingo)? Every where they go they will be known and that will have an affect on the story. Different groups will see him has allies or enemies. Before the two year time skip people barely knew them, so they could go around like normal people. After the two years and the fall of Daflamingo at their hands. They will no longer be ignored by the power that be or any of the Island occupants anymore.