AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-09-08, 18:06   Link #381
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Hmm... I have no idea if this is the right place to post this, but since this refers to a fanmade VN, it should go here instead of the Translation thread.

In 2010, a doujin circle named Cradle released the demo of a fanmade VN as an April Fool's joke, it's name "Dolly's Dreaming Awakening -Cradle Song-". The joke is that they never released a full version like they promised to do in the next Comiket, leaving the game abandoned as a trial version.

Yet, that fanmade trial VN was never translated. Why? I dunno. Either way, I know I'm already busy with Revival of the Golden Witch and another side-project, but I decided to translate Dolly's Dreaming Awakening -Cradle Song-. I simply cannot let Umineko-related things (even if this is essentialy fanfiction) untranslated.

The VN takes place in a high school setting, with the characters being Battler, Amakusa, Beato and Ange. Battler and Amakusa are best friends, Beato is an american transfer student and Ange studies in the same school, but not in the same grade as the other three.

The plot is simple: Battler begins to have strange dreams, and it seems like he's forgetting something. What is it? Does it have any relation to the transfer student Beatrice?

The story lasts 3 looping days, and has some choices with two endings. The trial can be downloaded for free at the circle's website here, but I'll also include it in my patch (it's a free VN after all).

The art is beautiful and the story is good. In fact, just the art is enough to make someone read it: whoever drew the characters is a <VERY GOOD> artist.

I'll be frank: I'm not fluent in japanese at all. I'm using translators and dictionaries to translate, but I'm getting satisfatory results. I'll be posting translation updates in ROTGW's blog.

I started translating it today, and I'm about halfway through the first day. That makes it... roughly 65% of the first day and 15% overall. Pretty impressive for just one day. Either way, I'm creating the patch as I translate, meaning I have some screenshots already:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 04:39   Link #382
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

I wish you all the luck with this one. This officially makes you my second favorite person in the world (well, after all the members of the Witch Hunt, each of them is individually my favorite person in the world). The art is really gorgeous (are those Bgs from Clannad???)

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:46   Link #383
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
Hmm... I have no idea if this is the right place to post this, but since this refers to a fanmade VN, it should go here instead of the Translation thread.

In 2010, a doujin circle named Cradle released the demo of a fanmade VN as an April Fool's joke, it's name "Dolly's Dreaming Awakening -Cradle Song-". The joke is that they never released a full version like they promised to do in the next Comiket, leaving the game abandoned as a trial version.

Yet, that fanmade trial VN was never translated. Why? I dunno. Either way, I know I'm already busy with Revival of the Golden Witch and another side-project, but I decided to translate Dolly's Dreaming Awakening -Cradle Song-. I simply cannot let Umineko-related things (even if this is essentialy fanfiction) untranslated.

The VN takes place in a high school setting, with the characters being Battler, Amakusa, Beato and Ange. Battler and Amakusa are best friends, Beato is an american transfer student and Ange studies in the same school, but not in the same grade as the other three.

The plot is simple: Battler begins to have strange dreams, and it seems like he's forgetting something. What is it? Does it have any relation to the transfer student Beatrice?

The story lasts 3 looping days, and has some choices with two endings. The trial can be downloaded for free at the circle's website here, but I'll also include it in my patch (it's a free VN after all).

The art is beautiful and the story is good. In fact, just the art is enough to make someone read it: whoever drew the characters is a <VERY GOOD> artist.

I'll be frank: I'm not fluent in japanese at all. I'm using translators and dictionaries to translate, but I'm getting satisfatory results. I'll be posting translation updates in ROTGW's blog.

I started translating it today, and I'm about halfway through the first day. That makes it... roughly 65% of the first day and 15% overall. Pretty impressive for just one day. Either way, I'm creating the patch as I translate, meaning I have some screenshots already:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
WOW! You're right the art is awesome! Thank you so much for deciding to translate this!
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 09:24   Link #384
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Thank you guys for the moral support.

Captain, the BGs aren't from CLANNAD, they're also original for the game.
Old 2012-09-09, 09:38   Link #385
Captain Bluebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
Thank you guys for the moral support.
No need to. Thank you for the translation.

Quote:
Captain, the BGs aren't from CLANNAD, they're also original for the game.
They look so awfully similar to those of the anime, I could swear....Damn this, some doujin artists are just too gifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
XDDD Bgs? They are made by me , Based on the Cartoon Called 'Total Drama Island' , We got Seacats Idea from it.
Love them! They look so... cartoonistic and surreal it adds to the enjoyment. I really admire them cause I can never draw any sort of Background. Only negative would be that they're somehow downplayed by the crystal clear resolution of the PS3 sprites, but a bit of observation is all it takes to appreciate them.

Btw, how's the progress with Chapter3 coming along?

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2012-09-09, 10:03   Link #386
battle22

Quote:
Love them! They look so... cartoonistic and surreal it adds to the enjoyment. I really admire them cause I can never draw any sort of Background. Only negative would be that they're somehow downplayed by the crystal clear resolution of the PS3 sprites, but a bit of observation is all it takes to appreciate them.

Btw, how's the progress with Chapter3 coming along?
Yeah, They are pretty hard to make, Picture editing takes hell amount of time and Yeah PS3 art makes it look like crap XD. As For Chapter 3 , It is almost done, I'm doing the Ellimination ceremony atm, But it's not readable yet, My spelling and Grammar are horrible lol, That's why I have Azule, He fixes them , adds few extra stuff and makes it look awesome. Thank you so much for showing intrest XD, Also You don't need to worry, Erika is one of my fav chars as well, So chances for her ellimination are very slim. XD
Old 2012-09-09, 15:19   Link #387
Captain Bluebeard

They don't make it look like crap, it's just that the PS3s are too-too fancy. Also, yaaay, Erika's safe! (I'm totally rooting for the 'Executioner' team).

Looking forward to Chapter 3.

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2012-09-09, 23:56   Link #388
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

GabrieliosP, it's great that you're doing that translation! I'll look forward to playing it when it's done. That game has such nice art.

To the people working on Total Seacat Island, your project sounds as if it'll be really good. I don't use torrents so I can't play it yet, but I hope it'll be possible to play it eventually.

How nice that there are so many Umineko projects in progress right now.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 17:40   Link #389
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Thanks for the moral support, GoldenLand.

BTW, progress has been updated: the first day is now 89%-ish and I've translated and edited some images.

God, I never noticed how much of a pain is to translate things from japanese. I swear I became stuck in a line for one hour because I couldn't figure it out. Turns out the problem was with the use of kanji: I had to search for a rather obscure interpretion of it for the sentence to make sense, lol.
Old 2012-09-13, 11:42   Link #390
battle22

Episode 3 has been released of Total Seacat island , ^^ https://totalseacats.wordpress.com/
Old 2012-09-14, 08:50   Link #391
Captain Bluebeard

Just finished Chapter 3, which has to be my favorite chapter so far!!!

I don't know where to start.
Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Yeah, comedy aside, this seriously was a very good chapter, had me sitting at the edge of my seat! I think the best thing about it was the atmosphere (the whole night forest adventure was such an idea!) It just had one single flaw. Not enough Rosa action. But I'm sure she'll have her fair share in the next one, so no complaints there either.

Bravo, you guys! Honestly! I'm really looking forward to reading the rest! ^^

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2012-09-14, 09:16   Link #392
battle22

Haha, Thank you captain, Reading such a positve review makes me feel motivated. xD How did you feel about the Ellimination? Did you feel sorry for the character lol?
Old 2012-09-14, 15:16   Link #393
Captain Bluebeard

To be honest.... I didn't! Okay, I might have, a little bit, but
Spoiler for Elimination:

Keep it up me harties! This old captain is rooting for you!!!

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2012-09-14, 23:48   Link #394
arson88

Smile [WTA] Total Seacat Island DDL?

First of all, thank you to all the folks at Total Seacat Island for the release of this comedic fiction.

Does anyone knows an alternative to dl other than torrent? I don't see any seeders on9.

Edited: Thank you for all three episodes XD

Last edited by arson88; 2012-09-15 at 15:41.
arson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 01:54   Link #395
battle22

I'm seeding it right now.^^
Old 2012-10-02, 22:20   Link #396
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
So Renall and I were talking about crazy forgery ideas we want to do. And I just need to share with all of you how absolutely insane we are. This is long as shit (nine pages in OpenOffice) but I personally think it's worth it.

Spoiler for TL;DR:
Old 2012-10-03, 06:14   Link #397
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Renall: THE KILLER IS KINZO'S WIFE WHO JUST WANTS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
auratwilight: DAMMIT I HAVE A NAME YOU KNOW
Renall: But because she's been reduced to non-personhood
By forces that make her anonymous.
auratwilight: She's there, but everyone ignores her to such a pathological degree that they don't even know she's alive.
auratwilight: "Oooooh ghosts took a sandwich from the kitchen holy shiiiit"
She kills someone with a hammer and eyewitnesses are like "holy shit that hammer just floated up and killed Rosa!" "GODDAMMIT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS"

*falls over laughing* I swear, nearly every semi-original idea I come up with for my forgery-in-progress gets mentioned on these forums at some point! I've had to keep my tongue tied about so many things.

But Mrs Ushiromiya theory is one that I'm including as a joke, not a serious solution, so I can mention it. I've made her a sprite set, too. All I need to do is draw in some wrinkles. Even though, well, none of the other characters are going to see her in-game. Frustration over being supernaturally ignored = perfect murder motive.

The other ideas from that log need to be made into proper games.
Old 2012-10-03, 08:17   Link #398
Drifloon

Those are all amazing ideas, thanks for sharing them with us!

I've had quite a few weird Forgery ideas too, but I know I'd never get around to actually learning to use ONS and writing them.

The main one that I really liked was a game where Tohya is invited into the meta-world to be Endless Sorceror Battler's opponent, and the whole thing turns out to be a metaphor for Tohya trying to understand why Battler forgave the person who murdered his family and his inability to accept this being the reason that he was never able to identify himself with Battler. So BATTLER's game would be set up to try and illustrate his feelings in a cryptic way, like what he did for Ange in EP8.

I also had an idea where all the 'Beatrice' characters would actually be separate people all present on the island in 1986. So Shannon and Kanon really are two random servants, Lion really is Krauss and Natsuhi's first child, and Piece-Beatrice is a completely separate character who is the child of Kinzo and Kuwadorian-Beatrice that came to the island to try and get a share of the inheritance. Then I figured I'd maximize the person count even further by making Kinzo alive, Erika coming to the island, and Ange being present. I think there's a lot of potential for interesting ideas there.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 15:06   Link #399
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Golden, can I please see those sprite sets? Holy shit! <3

And Drifloon, those are great ideas too. Renall and I come up with way too many ideas that we'll never use, so I decided that I'd just post them so they don't go completely to waste.

By the way, to anyone who wants to know how the Umineko Opera is going, one of our cast members got Laryngitis, so we're gonna be taking a break on development.
Old 2012-10-04, 18:45   Link #400
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Golden, can I please see those sprite sets? Holy shit! <3
Yep! They're not much, though. They're Rosa's body/hair+Eva's head+Ange's expressions+Kumasawa's eye bags, and Rudolf's hair colour. There are also a few alterations apart from that. I only have a mouse to draw with, so it's difficult to draw lines in a way that doesn't look awful. I tried giving her more wrinkles, but it turned out too badly to use. I might change them a little more before settling on a final version.

Edit: fixed one of them! The shoulder was wonky.

Spoiler for Images under cut: