AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-05, 18:51   Link #301
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
Yeah episode 8 was really good i hope the action is good in 9 i wonder what things this bird guy can do (i havent seen the manga, i did look for it today but couldnt find a good site for it.. if anyone as a good reliable place they have seen it on could you PM me plz(sorry if ive broken any rules there just edit my post if i have sry)
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 19:13   Link #302
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk
Hm, Tetsuo *the biker leader* seems to be more...rational and responsible than he is in the manga. I don't really know yet what to think of that, though.
More? Umm... He was 0% rational & responsible in the manga The same can be said of him pre-death in the anime.

This is a very radical & abrupt personality change that doesn't really fit in. It might fit in if they have decided to conclude the whole series with the Birdmen battle and are not going to continue with the post-Birdmen events. That would also likely mean no Second Stage.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 19:26   Link #303
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
More? Umm... He was 0% rational & responsible in the manga The same can be said of him pre-death in the anime.

This is a very radical & abrupt personality change that doesn't really fit in. It might fit in if they have decided to conclude the whole series with the Birdmen battle and are not going to continue with the post-Birdmen events. That would also likely mean no Second Stage.
Well, the 'first stage' is only 11 episodes I think, so they'll only cover up to (and including) the birdmen battle.

But the sub-titile 'first stage' really suggest a sequel. (Most likely depending on the success of the first 'stage' since there's plenty of manga for them to cover.)
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 01:57   Link #304
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Well, the 'first stage' is only 11 episodes I think, so they'll only cover up to (and including) the birdmen battle.
Are you sure it's only 11 episodes, usually short series are 13 (half the TV season, I guess). Also the current battle (provided it follows the manga) should not last more than two episodes.

Quote:
But the sub-titile 'first stage' really suggest a sequel. (Most likely depending on the success of the first 'stage' since there's plenty of manga for them to cover.)
I agree with you. Also I guess from what I read (from the hawks scans) and what spoilers I saw about the manga, 3-4 more episodes should be enough to conclude the first stage.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 02:42   Link #305
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth
Are you sure it's only 11 episodes, usually short series are 13 (half the TV season, I guess). Also the current battle (provided it follows the manga) should not last more than two episodes.
It's 11 episodes on TV, 13 on the DVD due to the censorship.

Quote:
Yes, it does suggest a second season but it does not mean they will go ahead with the second season. If the sales/audience figure for the 'First Stage' are dismal and non-encouraging, they can pretty much cancel it right there. With GONZO's plot (note the reappearing elderly lady) & some of the supporting characters getting radically different from the manga (Testuo), they(GONZO) might have decided to conclude it in the first episode as they might have some difficulties in reconciling their version with manga material for Second Stage. Of course they could simply throw away the manga and do Second Stage their own way.

Side Trivia: Gantz the manga is currently at Chp 161 and going on.
Old 2004-06-09, 03:50   Link #306
GUTB_

Sorry, the anime is lame compared to the manga. The manga has a genuine feeling of grittiness and depression, and can hit hard when it wants to.

Don't read the bellow spoilers unless you've watched ep.9 or read the manga...I mean it!!
Spoiler:
GUTB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 05:18   Link #307
tenshiro
ex-hitokiri

Send a message via MSN to tenshiro
what I find annoying about this characters, is the lack of ability to react to the situation at hand. Mentioned before, the protagonist of a the series is a good-for-nothing horny only bastard. This could make up for that point. BUt still, if u haf to fire a gun to survive please do it. And episode 8, he sees the bird guy come, nice delay, run i say.
tenshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 10:50   Link #308
Za Paper

I still think the girl, Kei, is the most annoying character. Maybe there should be a poll. Most annoying Gantz character.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 12:32   Link #309
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I agree the girl Kei is really annoying. She's already annoying in the manga, but in the anime she's even more annoying. However, despite the changes made in the manga-anime coversion which IMO result in inferior plot, I still like the anime, mainly because of the music. I think the music in the anime are really kickass stuff, good tracks and fitting to the scenes, that's the definite edge the anime has over the manga.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 15:48   Link #310
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB_
Sorry, the anime is lame compared to the manga. The manga has a genuine feeling of grittiness and depression, and can hit hard when it wants to.

Don't read the bellow spoilers unless you've watched ep.9 or read the manga...I mean it!!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I agree the girl Kei is really annoying. She's already annoying in the manga, but in the anime she's even more annoying. However, despite the changes made in the manga-anime coversion which IMO result in inferior plot, I still like the anime, mainly because of the music. I think the music in the anime are really kickass stuff, good tracks and fitting to the scenes, that's the definite edge the anime has over the manga.
IMO most (if not all) of the characters in Gantz are meant to be somewhat annoying and flawed.
Old 2004-06-10, 16:30   Link #311
dreamless

well, I think Kurono and Katou are not annoying (Kurono more like lascivious and cynical, while Katou heroic), nor are that handsome guy and that stalker girl, and the anime makes Tetsuo much more likeable. Also we are not just talking about "annoying", we are talking about "most annoying". Kishimoto really gets on my nerves in this episode, more so than those other bikers and that grandma and child.
Old 2004-06-10, 17:21   Link #312
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
IMO most (if not all) of the characters in Gantz are meant to be somewhat annoying and flawed.
I thought this would have been obvious to people who read the manga.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:25   Link #313
dreamless

Hmm... I don't see that handsome guy annoying, or that stalker girl, or Lara Croft-wannabe, etc. etc. I think the character in Gantz is just a very diverse bunch of people (and maybe animals...)
Old 2004-06-10, 18:36   Link #314
Sledeau

Spoiler:
Sledeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:59   Link #315
dreamless

I just hope the part about that granny and kid in this bird alien mission don't get changed or cut. That's another one of my favorite scenes in the manga...
Old 2004-06-10, 19:08   Link #316
a_nevels666

Quote:
Hmm... I don't see that handsome guy annoying, or that stalker girl, or Lara Croft-wannabe, etc. etc. I think the character in Gantz is just a very diverse bunch of people (and maybe animals...)
Quote:
well, I think Kurono and Katou are not annoying (Kurono more like lascivious and cynical, while Katou heroic), nor are that handsome guy and that stalker girl, and the anime makes Tetsuo much more likeable. Also we are not just talking about "annoying", we are talking about "most annoying". Kishimoto really gets on my nerves in this episode, more so than those other bikers and that grandma and child.
Hmm...maybe this is because I read the manga but IMO all the characters are (intentionally) flawed.

Kuroro only thinks about sex, even in a life-threatening situation, also he's sort of a coward.
Katou is a little too heroic.
Stalker girl = Stalker
Lara Croft = Slutty.
Bikers/Yakuza = Violent dumbasses.
Pretty boy = Too insecure about his sexuality.
Dog = Useless.
Nishi = Selfish

and so on.
OK, maybe they're not all annoying, but they're definately flawed.

Also, it's seems to me Gantz selects these people just to screw around with them and see what happens. It's not like Gantz would actually need them to kill those aliens.
Old 2004-06-10, 19:35   Link #317
dreamless

I also read the manga, and surely they are flawed, they are humans, not gods. however I think a flawed person doesn't mean annoying, they feel more normal thus in some cases more likeable to me. I personally find a "perfect protagonist" in animes more annoying.
Old 2004-06-10, 19:49   Link #318
Cort
What???

Send a message via ICQ to Cort
I think it makes it more interesting. They are more realistic than the average anime character, even if the situations they are put in are still bizarre.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 20:30   Link #319
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
Quote:
I thought this would have been obvious to people who read the manga.
That is not true. If you read the manga (up to chp 161 now), you will realise how diverse each new crew pulled up by Gantz is. There's the irritating ones, the brave ones, the ones you would root for, the ones you laugh at, the ones you don't care for, etc.

But through it all, you will also notice how Kuruno changes (his character evolving).
Spoiler for manga 161:
Old 2004-06-10, 20:58   Link #320
dreamless

yup, it's interesting to see how Kurono was who Katou aspires to be like, while now it's the other way around.

side-note, manga chapter 161 has such a great ending scene...

Tags
science fiction, seinen