AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-30, 21:37   Link #621
Mr.Garfield

About the ED, I agree that the full version is a bit disappointed, it just doesn't have the emotional power of the original
for anyone interested, here's a video on ZONE final live

edit by mod: link removed

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-05-01 at 03:22. Reason: please don't post youtube videos containing full songs, as they consist in licensed material.
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:18   Link #622
Excorsism

I love stories that revolve around growing up. This being one of them. Can't help but reflect on my life every time I see a group of friends, once best friends, grow apart as they grow older but they end up resolving their differences and becoming close friends again.

Seems like Yukiatsu definitely wants to one up Jinta though. Evident from the end of episode 3 and that flashback with the beetle catch. I can't help but think of Ko and Azuma from Cross Game whenever they interact though (same voice actors after all!).

Here's hoping the ED gets released soon!
Old 2011-05-01, 00:26   Link #623
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I'm not sure I want to believe into these theories of crossdressing either.
I was sceptical at first but since seeing the screenshot where we see that the Menma Poppo saw wears a watch when the "real" Menma doesn't,I can't deny that's pretty stong evidence.
Old 2011-05-01, 00:26   Link #624
brocko

ED is already out!

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 01:08   Link #625
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think it was too. Hospitals aren't places that incite anger, especially in children. I can understand if she is sick in at home, but not in a hospital. And I bet his father didn't scold him at all either.
Jinta's dad is too lax with him and it's still true now. His dad should scold him for not going to school or at least discuss with him even if it isn't easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
I think I'm one of the very few here who lean heavily towards the speculation that it's Tsuruko.
I still believe it's Tsuruko
Evidences for Yukiatsu are too obvious and I think Tsuroko as fake Menma is more logical.
Old 2011-05-01, 01:28   Link #626
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post

^ This part of the ED seriously gives me chills every time. Incredible.
I agree. Nagai is known for his amazing OP and ED direction, which was also apparent in Toradora. He can make them beautiful and fitting just with direction and animation, even if the song is unfitting or bad.
Old 2011-05-01, 01:40   Link #627
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
I still believe it's Tsuruko
Evidences for Yukiatsu are too obvious
Deny the obvious,uphold the inane! (couldn't resist)

So what is Yukiatsu doing with the clothes he buys?

But I could see it,Tsuruko has a thing for Yukiatsu but Yukiatsu was in love with Menma,so she might want to become Menma to please him.

Maybe I wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't rewatched Vertigo recently
Old 2011-05-01, 02:38   Link #628
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
The full ED has a bit too many random synths for my liking. Would have been better with a minimalistic acoustic/piano approach. Nothing wrong with the vocals in my opinion.

Much prefer this version myself, for the same reasons you stated. Minimal acoustic, but more focus on the vocals. I personally like this version better than even Zone's, but only by a hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
Here's hoping the ED gets released soon!
Was already released last wednesday I believe. Here's the full version of the TV ED.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-05-01 at 03:21. Reason: please don't post youtube videos containing full songs, as they consist in licensed material.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 03:30   Link #629
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

A quick reminder, please don't post youtube (or niconico, or any other provider) videos containing FULL songs. Those are considered licensed material, and as such can't be posted in AnimeSuki (rule 1.1). I also removed the link to the live video since most likely it was a DVD-rip.

Providing a link to a full video is more or less like posting an mp3, which is also severely forbidden.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 2011-05-01, 04:26   Link #630
Shakiga
Shadow user

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I agree. Nagai is known for his amazing OP and ED direction, which was also apparent in Toradora. He can make them beautiful and fitting just with direction and animation, even if the song is unfitting or bad.
Wait, the guys who did OP for Toradora was the same guys in this series? No wonder I felt it was somehow familiar. But I thought Toradora was from J.C Staff, not A.I.C?

@guuchan: I'm looking forward to it ^^
Shakiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 04:43   Link #631
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakiga View Post
Wait, the guys who did OP for Toradora was the same guys in this series? No wonder I felt it was somehow familiar. But I thought Toradora was from J.C Staff, not A.I.C?
The team who worked on Toradora and Highschool of the Dead is in charge of this series. It can be seen on the characters resembling some of those series themselves. Like Anaru with pigtails is similar to Takagi (HoTD), while Jintan kinda reminds Homuro (HoTD). On the other hand, Yukiatsu's chardes resembles Ryuuji's (Toradora), while Menma's slim figure and body language reminds of Taiga (Toradora).
Note that I'm not talking of personality-wise resemblances, but only basing on the looks and movements - body animations in particular.

Masayoshi Tanaka directed both OP 1-2 and ED1 in Toradora, and he's indeed behind what we see in AnoHana. In that list he's credited for the OP, but I don't see reasons not to believe he also made the ED.
Old 2011-05-01, 04:56   Link #632
Sebasu
~

I'll add Yukiatsu can also fit in with the bishounen of Katekyo Hitman Reborn, which I believe shares the same character designer as well.

Young Jintan also looks like a little Takeshi Yamamoto.
Old 2011-05-01, 05:31   Link #633
Shakiga
Shadow user

The first time I saw Menma, she struck me as similar to Index from To aru Majutsu no Index. From the way she act to her face. These similarities were what made me troubled. Am I right to assume that in Japan animation industry, they can use staffs from another company to work for others?

On another note, it was interesting to see Tsuruko lit up a road of candles to "summon" Menma. Is this a tradition or just some kind of occult things?
Shakiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 05:48   Link #634
brocko

A lot of the animation industry is free-lance work. So staff ain't really attached to just the one company per say. Sometimes you even have production studios outsourcing some of the animation work to other studios (J.C Staff outsourcing to A1 for example).

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 05:51   Link #635
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In another forum it was commented that the more everyday-ish approach of the story, especially the ones about the character's daily life events (such as Jinta's xenophobic life and Anaru's attempts to always go with the flow) detract from the overall tale of a wandering spirit in search of her wish and her friends, wanting the story to focus more on Menma's inability to move on than with the lives of those she left behind

I disagree with this assessment precisely because her stay on earth and the lives of her her friends are so deeply interconnected that you can only have one with the other. Episode 3 proves this well enough that Menma's spiritual existence there is completely dependent on the status of her friends, such that her wish is dependent on the goings-on within each of the 5 friends she had left behind so suddenly.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 06:11   Link #636
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
The team who worked on Toradora and Highschool of the Dead is in charge of this series. It can be seen on the characters resembling some of those series themselves. Like Anaru with pigtails is similar to Takagi (HoTD), while Jintan kinda reminds Homuro (HoTD). On the other hand, Yukiatsu's chardes resembles Ryuuji's (Toradora), while Menma's slim figure and body language reminds of Taiga (Toradora).
Note that I'm not talking of personality-wise resemblances, but only basing on the looks and movements - body animations in particular.

Masayoshi Tanaka directed both OP 1-2 and ED1 in Toradora, and he's indeed behind what we see in AnoHana. In that list he's credited for the OP, but I don't see reasons not to believe he also made the ED.
Influenced maybe... both INAZUMA's and YASU's drawing styles are quite unique.

Oh! and just in case someone is living in a cave, YASU did the original artwork in Toradora novel, while INAZUMA the HotD manga, and his various Takagi-looking characters are very distinctive in his other works
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 06:31   Link #637
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Evidences for Yukiatsu are too obvious and I think Tsuroko as fake Menma is more logical.
I think you're thinking too much about it, you're too invested in the series. From a casual standpoint, the hints aren't that obvious at all.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 07:16   Link #638
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
In another forum it was commented that the more everyday-ish approach of the story, especially the ones about the character's daily life events (such as Jinta's xenophobic life and Anaru's attempts to always go with the flow) detract from the overall tale of a wandering spirit in search of her wish and her friends, wanting the story to focus more on Menma's inability to move on than with the lives of those she left behind

I disagree with this assessment precisely because her stay on earth and the lives of her her friends are so deeply interconnected that you can only have one with the other. Episode 3 proves this well enough that Menma's spiritual existence there is completely dependent on the status of her friends, such that her wish is dependent on the goings-on within each of the 5 friends she had left behind so suddenly.
I always thought the point of the story was the five remaining gang members coming to terms with their loss and moving on. The whole wish thing (and Menma in general), for me, was just a catalyst, a vehicle to move the story onwards...

Sure, we find out bits and pieces about her past and what her unfulfilled wish could be, but methinks that's only a smaller part of the bigger picture. Surely it was going to focus more on how a shut-in like Jintan, a lost soul like Anaru, a wandering soul like Poppo, a distant soul like Tsuruko and a troubled soul like Tsukiatsu would get past their problems. It's what coming-of-age stories are usually about - it's not the destination (in this case, Menma and her wish), but rather journey (the healing process for themselves and their broken bonds of friendship), no?

I've been likening this series to something like Stand By Me and other stories, only slightly different in that not only is it remembering the past, but it's also trying to resolve the present as well, which adds a nice dimension. Plus seeing the differences between the characters in their childhood and adolescence, as well as seeing their slow development as they get past their troubles, is pretty neat.

O-O~

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~
Tu101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 12:03   Link #639
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Deny the obvious,uphold the inane! (couldn't resist)
So what is Yukiatsu doing with the clothes he buys?
But I could see it,Tsuruko has a thing for Yukiatsu but Yukiatsu was in love with Menma,so she might want to become Menma to please him.
Maybe I wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't rewatched Vertigo recently

I agree Yukiatsu buying these clothes is weird but it doesn't look clothes for crossdressing as Menma or I may underrate Yukiatsu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I think you're thinking too much about it, you're too invested in the series. From a casual standpoint, the hints aren't that obvious at all.
You may be right. Whatever it isn't something we should focus too much I guess.

By the way for those interested into key animation drawings and concept art, I found a sample of these in the booklet sold in some stores with the ED.
Old 2011-05-01, 14:53   Link #640
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Okay I'll just say this right now but that guy smelling the dress is really creeping me out.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy