Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-07-27, 02:42   Link #1
Magicberyl

Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)

copied from steam

Quote:
About the Game

A unique and award-winning combination of construction, economy, discovery, diplomacy, and combat.

Create your own nation with a unique blend of simulation and real-time strategy as you journey across the globe to explore, trade, and learn technologies to expand your empire and to make your own history.

Meet the Orient! Build your own settlement and get to know the culture and technologies of the Orient.
Create huge metropolises! Build a unique seaside with the harbor system and shape the character of your new city with alleyways, city walls, and castles.
Personalize the way you play! Configure the interface to fit your own personal needs. Create your own adventures in the Dawn of Discovery world with powerful tools and share them with the community.
A strategy game for beginners and pros! An intuitive interface for beginners with many options for advanced players. A thrilling campaign that carries beginners into the world of Dawn of Discovery. A motivating sandbox mode that can be modified by players to any degree. Special titles, talents, medals, and other rewards that are collected in the captain's log.
Now, my own review/opinion:

This game is like a mix of RTS and "Sim City". I started with "Skirmish mode" by skipping the campaign, it gave a single boat, with a small quantity of resources, together with the AI players which got identical boats like mine. My goal was find a suitable island, and fix down there. In order to do that, i had to look for a island that features basic resources like stone mine, terrain suitable for diary products farms. After settling down, i began to build houses, and raise my population level, which the number unlocks the next level of buildings, after attending all their needs (like building a chapel, apple farm to give them cider boozes), they advance into the next level, which requires new varieties of stuffs (cloths, spices..) and unlocks the further buildings that enables me to create new ships. At one point of the game, i was obliged to expand my territory into the "southern islands", which produces a completely different resources from the first "northern" island, in order to obtain spices, then creating "trading routes" that chains my boats to automatically transfer the goods.

Meanwhile, i had to watch out for the other AI computers, avoiding being "up-raced" by them, if you're strong than them, they demand your help, ask you for money(to help him), and if you're weak than them, they look you down, ask for tributes and may even start a war(although i have never pissed them off to this level yet).

Well, to sum up, this is a very addictive game,i got it last week, and in 7 days, for a "period of discoveries" like me who also spend countless times playing games like "Uncharted Water". i have already spent 32 hours into the game. Playing from 2 to 4 hours in a seat.

also, it's my 1st thread here in this forum hope everything goes well. lol
Magicberyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 02:51   Link #2
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Yeah, this game is ridiculously addictive and fun to play. When the announcer reminds me that another hour has passed, I'm like "What? Already?".

Not much of good medieval strategies lately, but this one surely filled the hole. As a Stronghold fanatic, I absolutely love the gameplay. Not to mention the graphics are awesome, music is great, AI is...well, sometimes their cities have a gap in the wall because of a structure they built there and other stuff like that, but they are still pretty solid.

Oh, did I mention naval battles? Sweet stuff. This game is absolutely worth a try for those, whose HW can run it.
Old 2009-07-27, 03:07   Link #3
Magicberyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Yeah, this game is ridiculously addictive and fun to play. When the announcer reminds me that another hour has passed, I'm like "What? Already?".

Not much of good medieval strategies lately, but this one surely filled the hole. As a Stronghold fanatic, I absolutely love the gameplay. Not to mention the graphics are awesome, music is great, AI is...well, sometimes their cities have a gap in the wall because of a structure they built there and other stuff like that, but they are still pretty solid.

Oh, did I mention naval battles? Sweet stuff. This game is absolutely worth a try for those, whose HW can run it.

oh yeah, also their unforgettable voice acting, the Grand Vizier always made me laugh, although somethings it gets quite annoying when he keep urging me to finish his quest or talking about their "unique ar-qui-tec-tu-res" whenever i missclick the his tab. lol
Magicberyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 04:16   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

The lovely computer graphics are making me feel bad for having only the DS version. I've barely started so I'll hold off my opinions for now, but I see myself getting addicted very, very soon.
Old 2009-07-27, 06:02   Link #5
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicberyl View Post
..., although somethings it gets quite annoying when he keep urging me to finish his quest or talking about their "unique ar-qui-tec-tu-res" whenever i missclick the his tab. lol
Oh god, so true. I hate that so much!
Old 2009-07-27, 06:04   Link #6
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Teshiro
Nothing can fulfill me as much as building and managing my very own medieval settlement, which is slowing rising into a great and powerfull city. Well but don't piss off others NPC in the game, they are atacking very soon after being pissed xD (personal experience).
Old 2011-10-25, 13:19   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author