AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-18, 10:26   Link #521
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Episode 1 is solvable to within 90% of the right answer without needing any other episodes. I know this because I saw a guy's ep1 VN notes and he'd never seen or heard of any of the rest of Umineko before and he was alllllmost completely right. So it's possible to think it out and get an answer that's pretty close, and with later episodes refine it to more or less 100%.

Trying to figure out who it cannot have been is a good start.
Old 2013-07-18, 14:22   Link #522
Sauzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bug-Hunter View Post
Umineko is much more 'fair play' than Higurashi was. In fact, having seen Higurashi before Umineko, I actually made the mistake of looking for some really crazy hypnotism / parasites / almost-but-not-quite-magic type explanation instead of 'keeping it real'. I'm not sure that it is solvable from just episode one, but once you get around the middle of chapter 3 of the VN when some important meta-mechanics are explained, I think you have a fighting chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Episode 1 is solvable to within 90% of the right answer without needing any other episodes. I know this because I saw a guy's ep1 VN notes and he'd never seen or heard of any of the rest of Umineko before and he was alllllmost completely right. So it's possible to think it out and get an answer that's pretty close, and with later episodes refine it to more or less 100%.

Trying to figure out who it cannot have been is a good start.
That's really great to hear. Thanks!

Also jsut finished reading up to
Spoiler for middle of chapter 1?:

K, gonna stop for now and gonna read some more. Will post my thoughts once I actually finish the damn chapter At this rate it will probably take a week or two, but maybe can manage it over the weekend
Old 2013-07-18, 14:52   Link #523
Drifloon

Quote:
Thus since it's shown from a characters point of view I asume it must be true.
Not that I'm necessarily saying anything about the specific scene you're talking about, but you may want to rethink this principle. Narration in Umineko is like a witness testimony of sorts; it is what the surviving witnesses would tell you happened in a particular scene, regardless of whether or not that's actually true. ...Hence how, in later situations where there are no surviving witnesses, the witch's darkness can grow strong enough to allow you to see scenes that are absolutely ridiculous and impossible (though there may of course still be some glimmer of truth to them, but certainly not in a literal sense).
Old 2013-07-19, 17:41   Link #524
Sauzer

Spoiler for finished ep1:

Last edited by Sauzer; 2013-07-19 at 17:54.
Old 2013-07-19, 21:04   Link #525
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Wow, although you only read EP1 you really have good theories. I wish I could follow Umineko like that... sadly I read EP1-EP4 in one go and also watched the anime BEFORE that, so I really missed a lot of the theorizing. That makes it all the more interesting to read your theories. I still remember that one thing I noticed while I was reading EP1 myself, was that the only one who really tried or "could" determine someone's "life or death state" was Nanjo. I still wonder why no one was smart enough to simply try to measure the corpse's pulse rate.

Anyway, I remember that I was very convinced that Nanjo was a "keypoint". Was he telling the truth or was he lying when he was talking about the corpses? I was not making any real theories about the culprit at that moment though, because, as I said, I was reading through all first four Episodes in one go.

Well there actually was still one thing that bothered me in Episode 1: At the end, shortly before "the game ended", Battler was seeing someone next to Maria. Was he seeing that person for real? Was that really the culprit? Why did the story "suddenly" end? Was Battler killed at that moment? I was really clueless about that scene, same as it was with the anime, if not even more extreme. And then there was the tea party where we see "Beatrice" for the first time in some kind of "after show", where everybody acted as if nothing happened, while happily discussing the results of the "game". The VN did a really good job at making me feel confused, even though I already saw the anime.

Anyway, good luck with the next Episodes! I really look forward to see what your next theories will be!