AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-08-26, 19:08   Link #1581
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve
*Graphic Designer

I rather like Asuka in the movie than in the show, and yeah i should not have said that bad stuff about Kaworu , because seeing what he did since he
Spoiler for spoiler:

The movie was amazing. The angel scenes were especially well done, including the epic last battle in both of the movies and good music to boot.
Old 2009-08-26, 21:46   Link #1582
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

When people complain about how the changes make rebuild a generic feeling show, it always makes me think of a video the Onion did when the Star Trek Movie came out, making fun of what die hard fans might react like.
Old 2009-08-27, 16:49   Link #1583
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
When people complain about how the changes make rebuild a generic feeling show, it always makes me think of a video the Onion did when the Star Trek Movie came out, making fun of what die hard fans might react like.
I saw that (and it was hysterical)...but it's not really similar

Spoiler for spoiler-y complaints:
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 00:29   Link #1584
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually, complaining seems to be par for course in the EVA fandom. I've been in it for more than a decade now, so I've seen many variations of the same issues, so I'm no longer as bothered by the whining.

My only real problem right now is... The movie doesn't really make it feel like, erm, six or so months passed from when it started to when it finished (Zeruel, in the original series, happened around the start of 'autumn').
Old 2009-08-28, 00:58   Link #1585
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually, complaining seems to be par for course in the EVA fandom. I've been in it for more than a decade now, so I've seen many variations of the same issues, so I'm no longer as bothered by the whining.

My only real problem right now is... The movie doesn't really make it feel like, erm, six or so months passed from when it started to when it finished (Zeruel, in the original series, happened around the start of 'autumn').
Do we know when it starts and when it finishes? How much time has passed from the end of 1.0 to the beginning of 2.0?

And yes, I consider myself a BIG Eva fan, and have been since 1996, but I'm barely involved in the fandom. A lot of my friends like Eva, and we all have done a fair bit of research...so I don't feel the need to opine much about it on forums and such.

Besides, I love Eva in such a personal way that a lot of the dumber criticism of the show REALLY ticks me off, and it seems like no matter where you start an Eva thread, SOMEONE is going to come in and say something stupid.

I'm rather surprised that hasn't happened here, actually...

*sits and waits patiently for someone to say that Eva is nonsense, or pretentious, or some variation of "Less talk, more robots."*
Old 2009-08-28, 01:47   Link #1586
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Do we know when it starts and when it finishes? How much time has passed from the end of 1.0 to the beginning of 2.0?
Do remember it was a problem in the main series as well, since it was never obvious WHEN the story begun due to Japan being in an 'eternal summer' as a result of Second Impact. However, the Red Book DOES note that the original series covers almost exactly one year of Shinji's stay in Tokyo 3, with Asuka coming into the picture about a quarter way into that (which also makes light of the fact that, for most of the TV series, Asuka was 13, yes 13 years old).

It's really conjecture at this point, without any official documentation given out about the timeline, but I DO assume that the movies are still following the one-year progression... Which makes movie 2.0 breeze EXTREMELY quickly through several months (the Zeruel fight supposedly takes place near the end of the year). It's only something that has background with the series will notice though, so it's a very minor thing.

Also, I'm assuming that many of us here are apparently veterans of the fandom, so there's no major arguments popping up. I'm thankful for that.
Old 2009-08-28, 02:20   Link #1587
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Do remember it was a problem in the main series as well, since it was never obvious WHEN the story begun due to Japan being in an 'eternal summer' as a result of Second Impact. However, the Red Book DOES note that the original series covers almost exactly one year of Shinji's stay in Tokyo 3, with Asuka coming into the picture about a quarter way into that (which also makes light of the fact that, for most of the TV series, Asuka was 13, yes 13 years old).

It's really conjecture at this point, without any official documentation given out about the timeline, but I DO assume that the movies are still following the one-year progression... Which makes movie 2.0 breeze EXTREMELY quickly through several months (the Zeruel fight supposedly takes place near the end of the year). It's only something that has background with the series will notice though, so it's a very minor thing.

Also, I'm assuming that many of us here are apparently veterans of the fandom, so there's no major arguments popping up. I'm thankful for that.
I'm thankful for that, too.

But to the timeline...I'm not sure the new movies are following the same timeline, or even if the year is 2015 in them.

As for timelines...there's one in the Essential Evangelion Chronicle (Side A) book, but it's damn unhelpful, since the only date beyond "2015" that it shows is the date Asuka entered school: September 21. No other months are mentioned.

Of course, we know the final episodes of the TV show are set in 2016 (since I'm the camp that believes the TV and movie endings are different, I can't say when EoE is set).

I dunno. It all seems pretty vague, and I doubt they're worrying about timespans for the movies.

I guess we've got to wait for some more Eva 2.0 printed material to come out...
Old 2009-08-28, 13:28   Link #1588
RisArk

Episode 25+26 happens during Shinji's EVA-trance in EoE. I thought that was common knowledge.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 14:32   Link #1589
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Episode 25+26 happens during Shinji's EVA-trance in EoE. I thought that was common knowledge.
It's a common THEORY.

The other common theory is that the TV series shows Shinji accepting Instrumentality and the movie shows him rejecting it.

For me, there are too many things that need twisting and/or outside explanations in order to make the two endings fit together.

I don't really want to get into it here, though...if you want to discuss it, send me a PM.
Old 2009-08-30, 01:04   Link #1590
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
It was a common theory that was kicked around in the old lists after End of Evangelion was shown in cinemas. It's not the accepted truth. Many of the old folk like me choose one or the other, as they seem to be mutually exclusive in context: Shinji 'accepts' in the TV ending, but 'rejects' in End of Evangelion.

Which opens a whole bag of new beans, what with the divergence in the Rebuild movies.

And now back to the topic at hand folks.
Old 2009-08-30, 01:25   Link #1591
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Which opens a whole bag of new beans, what with the divergence in the Rebuild movies.
And the divergence in the manga...we STILL don't know what'll happen there...
Old 2009-08-30, 05:52   Link #1592
xKeen

Sorry,I've never watched this anime...I'm just asking what is the sequence to watch this?People say this anime is good but I don't know where to start : D
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 06:49   Link #1593
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Sorry,I've never watched this anime...I'm just asking what is the sequence to watch this?People say this anime is good but I don't know where to start : D
Ah, this could either be totally innocent, or obvious baiting.

Some familiarity with the anime would be helpful, but you can literally go into the Rebuild movies without knowing ANYTHING about the symbolism connected to EVA. That's one of the intents behind the movies, after all.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:09   Link #1594
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Start with the TV series (26 episodes).

Then watch Death (recap movie) and The End of Evangelion (new ending).

Then watch Eva 1.0.

Then wait for the DVD release of 2.0.

Then wait for 3.0 and Final to come out.

Repeat as necessary.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:15   Link #1595
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

& if you want more after watching the TV series, go with Sadamoto Yoshiyuki's (the character designer) manga. A must read for any Evangelion fan.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:25   Link #1596
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Start with the TV series (26 episodes).

Then watch Death (recap movie) and The End of Evangelion (new ending).

Then watch Eva 1.0.

Then wait for the DVD release of 2.0.

Then wait for 3.0 and Final to come out.

Repeat as necessary.
Why Death? Don't really see much of a need to watch it as long as you have the stomach to do a straight viewing of the TV Series in one week or something...

Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for possible psychological trauma incurred due to watching of the Eva tv series in such a short timespan.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:27   Link #1597
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Why Death? Don't really see much of a need to watch it as long as you have the stomach to do a straight viewing of the TV Series in one week or something...
Still i'd recommend watching it purely because it's a remarkable experience. Very nicely directed, and shows that recap episodes/films don't always have to follow the normal pattern.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:11   Link #1598
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post

Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for possible psychological trauma incurred due to watching of the Eva tv series in such a short timespan.
What Shiroth said.

Also, I thought the "string quartet" was interesting.

Of course, the main feeling I had when I first watched Death is now impossible to recapture...back in Spring '97, before either Death and Rebirth or The End of Evangelion were available on LD or VHS, one of my friends had taped D&R off of cable TV. We watched it together (and she forbade me to fast-forward through the credits after Death...I felt like a dog on a tight chain, because DAMMIT, I WANTED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!!!), and I watched Rebirth open-mouthed and almost drooling.

Then we got to, "The Eva series...is complete?" and the ending credits started.

And I almost screamed with frustration.

Seriously...Best. Cliffhanger. EVER.

(good song, too.)
Old 2009-08-30, 12:55   Link #1599
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Speaking of the string quartet, anyone know what insturments everyone was playing? I used to know, but forgot, and it's been bugging me.
Old 2009-08-30, 13:08   Link #1600
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
Speaking of the string quartet, anyone know what insturments everyone was playing? I used to know, but forgot, and it's been bugging me.
Lessee...IIRC Shinji was cello (obviously), and Asuka, Rei and Kaworu were all on violin...I think...

Tags
movie, remake