AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-08-28, 08:37   Link #1061
rio

Rurouni Kenshin

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/rurouni-kenshin/index.html

Which was originally a series of Shounen Jump. http://wrs.search.yahoo.co.jp/FOR=2V...urouni_Kenshin
I would have been reading the manga when I was around 10 years old .
I was a big fan of it. So was my mother(and my brother).

Recently the movie has been produced and released , so I and my mother were excited and went to watch the movie as soon as possible.

The movie was very excellent. The actor of Kenshin, Takeru Satou is a very great actor and played the role so well as he has really existed as Kenshin in Meiji era.

The storyline was good too. That was mainly from the original story though
some important factors were changed.

The battle scenes were so so excellent too that I was really excited.
These were even beautiful and touching. I usually don't like battle scenes, because of the horribleness and noisiness. But the movie's ones were not like that.

I'd really recommend the movie.

If it would be released overseas, I hope many people would enjoy the movie as I and my mother did.

Last edited by rio; 2012-08-29 at 02:43.
rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 01:27   Link #1062
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

recently watched: Flash Point & Shiki (if these bother anyone, i'll just delete them)
Flash Point
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Legend of the Fist
Spoiler:

Shiki
Spoiler:

Last edited by Xefi; 2012-08-31 at 01:45.
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:00   Link #1063
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

In the wake of the death of a Space Pioneer, I was inspired to seek out the following :-

It's still the LSD On Celluloid as I remembered. The difference is the mindfuck is more potent now, bearing shade of Blus.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:06   Link #1064
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

^One of the first Blu-rays I bought.

I recently saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, a lovely little story about seven older Brits who go off to India to stay in the eponymous hotel. It's largely a showcase for some of Britain's best actors -- Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and Tom Wilkinson among them -- along with Dev Patel as the manager of the hotel. Obviously the story has more relevance for someone my age, but my college-aged daughter enjoyed it as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:20   Link #1065
Eragon
Still Alive

Inglorious Bastards - It was....well, strange I would say.
Princess Mononoke - Effortlessly beautiful and engaging.
Old 2012-09-02, 19:18   Link #1066
Dop
Mmmm....

Heavenly Creatures is the film which showed that Peter Jackson wasn't just that Kiwi guy who made wacky horror movies, but he could make damn good serious films as well.

Set in Christchurch, New Zealand, in the 1950s, this film is based on the true story of the Parker-Hulme murder case. Two misfit teenagers, Pauline Parker (Melanie Lyskey) and Juliet Hulme (Kate Winslet) meet at school and become firm friends, sharing a rich fantasy of the Fourth World, which they celebrate though stories and clay figurines, and fantasies of their saints Mario Lanza and James Mason ( but NOT Orson Welles!). Juliet's father and Pauline's mother see something wrong in their relationship, and try to keep them apart.

When Juliet's parents' marriage starts to fall apart, and it looks like Juliet and Pauline will be parted, the only obstacle to prevent them from staying together is Pauline's mother, and so they hatch a plot to kill her.

I never saw this movie the first time it came out. Then one night some years ago I got back from drinking with friends on a Sunday night, turned on the TV, and it was just starting. I was glued to the screen until the end, and was half-asleep at work the next day. I then bought the movie on DVD, which I ended up importing from the US as it wasn't out in the UK then.

Kate Winslet in her first film role just lights up the screen. The period setting is executed perfectly, the fantasy sequences by the newly founded Weta workshop are wonderful, and if you don't come away from this movie with at least one Mario Lanza song in your head you must be tone deaf. There are scenes where just the lighting is worth raving about.

I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson's earlier wacky splatter movies. Bad Taste with its wonderful parody of UK TV series 'The Professionals' and an alien invasion of New Zealand. "I am a Derek, and Dereks don't run".
Brain Dead (Dead Alive in the US), where a zombie invasion is defeated by a nerdy guy with a rotary lawn mower. An early scene is set in the same location any LOTR movie fan will identify as 'the paths of the dead', and the movie does have the line "I kick arse for the LORD!".
Meet the Feebles, like the muppets on acid. NSFW, really!

Then this sublime masterpiece. You can barely believe it's by the same guy.

If you get the chance, you need to see this movie.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:41   Link #1067
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The Band Wagon (1953) I just like Fred Astaire movies there just so good
Old 2012-09-04, 14:37   Link #1068
xza6atox

here is some movies that i have watched in the past month

avengers
rurouni kenshin
space battleship yamato
gundam 00 the movie
warrior
never back down
starship trooper invasion
xza6atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 04:00   Link #1069
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Last I watched was Ted. And I was right about it. It's pretty much a live action verison of Family Guy. But funny nonetheless.
Old 2012-09-07, 21:25   Link #1070
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Better than The Expendables and it's dumb-downed sequel any day.

Word of advice to film makers here. If you want to make a good action movie, throw whatever pretence of story and humour out of the window. Make the action realistic, fast and most importantly, brutal. There's nothing like jabbing a guy's neck with a broken shard of fluorescent lamp and pushing in deeper.
Old 2012-09-08, 01:34   Link #1071
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

... I have watched The Machine Gun Preacher like three or four days ago...

First half of the movie is a slow journey (for Sam Childers) to find and renew his faith... second half is just plain dumb (for him), I mean why in the hell would he force to solicit money from others just to help the dying children of Africa? He's just downright leveraged... and he's rushing things away in order to make the whole continent of Africa a better place for the African people. God has made plans for all of us, but do not rush it. Lesson learned.
Old 2012-09-08, 20:19   Link #1072
GundamFan0083

I'm in a nostalgic/retro/oldschool mode right now due to the upgrade of Space Battleship Yamato.

I dared to go onto youtube and re-watch a show I haven't seen in nearly 20 years.

SPACE 1999

I honestly thought it would be horrible, but now that I rewatch it, the SF storylines were actually pretty damn good.

I think I may rewatch the entire series (if it's available on youtube).
Old 2012-09-09, 01:42   Link #1073
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I always thought Space 1999 had one of the stupidest premises of any science-fiction show from the period. Why would we transport nuclear waste through space and then bury it on the moon? Wouldn't it be better to aim it into the sun? Or shoot it off into deep space? The latter would be my choice for dealing with the waste issue. The biggest problem would be guaranteeing that there wouldn't be an accident during launch and the waste be spread throughout the atmosphere. But if you accept the notion of sending if off into space in the first place, why in the hell would you bury it on the moon?

I only watched the show because I had a crush on Barbara Bain. Martin Landau was a lucky guy.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 02:20   Link #1074
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I always thought Space 1999 had one of the stupidest premises of any science-fiction show from the period. Why would we transport nuclear waste through space and then bury it on the moon? Wouldn't it be better to aim it into the sun? Or shoot it off into deep space? The latter would be my choice for dealing with the waste issue. The biggest problem would be guaranteeing that there wouldn't be an accident during launch and the waste be spread throughout the atmosphere. But if you accept the notion of sending if off into space in the first place, why in the hell would you bury it on the moon?

I only watched the show because I had a crush on Barbara Bain. Martin Landau was a lucky guy.
Barbara Bain certainly makes it worth watching, no doubt.
Actually the part that I still cry bullshit on is that any size nuclear explosion that is not strong enough to destroy the moon, would in turn not be powerful enough to send it into interstellar space at any great speed (meaning they should not be outside the solar system anytime during the series).

As for storing nuclear waste on the moon, I think it was due to the idea that it was the only place they could safely store it.
During the pilot the commissioner tells Commander Koneing that it's the last place they can store nuclear waste material. I don't think the Eagles have the ability to fly to the other planets (which begs the question of how they can catch up to a moon flying at interstellar velocities, but I digress )

For all its flaws, the ideas of the show are what attract me.
And as for SF shows othe 1970s, I'd have to say that space 1999 was one of the better ones.
Buck Rogers was far worse, although by the same token, Battle Star Galactica was far better.

Also, ABC is redoing Space 1999.

Old 2012-09-09, 10:10   Link #1075
james0246

GundamFan, I have to ask, did you secretly watch Space 1999 because you wanted to play with the toys? .

That being said, if you liked Space 1999 for its storylines and characters, I would like to offer up Blakes 7. Created by Terry Nation (best known as the creator of the Daleks), this extremely pessimistic sci-fi features a band of rebels fighting (and often losing) against a dystopian galactic federation. While the special effects are generally quite terrible, and the costumes not much better, the characters are very interesting and the entire series is shrouded in complex moral ambiguity.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 10:55   Link #1076
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So i just watched the new Conan the Barbarian movie staring Jason Momoa. Truth be told, it was boring. The plot felt like a cheap B-movie and i was expecting a big battle between Conan and his allies and the Big Bad's forces but it never came. The only good thing about it was Stephen "Colonel Miles Quaritch" Lang. Sorry Jason Momoa, your not Conan the Barbarian(but i still accept you as Khal Drogo) but this man is.

So i watch another movie, Black Dynamite and boy did i laugh. It was a funny parody that spoof 70's blaxploitation movies. But i do wonder if i was watching a different version of the movie since some scenes were different from the ones i saw on youtube like the meeting between the Pimps.
Old 2012-09-09, 14:06   Link #1077
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Just watched Young Adult with Charlize Theron and directed by Jason Reitman. Great movie.

Spoiler:
I would recommend it.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:38   Link #1078
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
GundamFan, I have to ask, did you secretly watch Space 1999 because you wanted to play with the toys? .
When I was a kid?
Hell YES!
The Mattel EAGLE was one of the best toys made in the 1970s, although Milton-Bradley's Star Bird was really cool for the time.

It was big too:

There were also numerous models of Eagles:

cargo:

fighter & Standard model (orange is fighter/laser ship):

Kestrela model:

Ultra Probe explorer:

Salvage crane model:

Booster (long range) Model/variant:

They were lots of fun.

Quote:
That being said, if you liked Space 1999 for its storylines and characters, I would like to offer up Blakes 7. Created by Terry Nation (best known as the creator of the Daleks), this extremely pessimistic sci-fi features a band of rebels fighting (and often losing) against a dystopian galactic federation. While the special effects are generally quite terrible, and the costumes not much better, the characters are very interesting and the entire series is shrouded in complex moral ambiguity.
Thank you James.
I will check out Blakes 7 if I can find the episodes online.
Many of these shows had bad special effects due to their low budgets, but the stories were golden.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:34   Link #1079
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Spoiler for tidiness:

Better than The Expendables and it's dumb-downed sequel any day.

Word of advice to film makers here. If you want to make a good action movie, throw whatever pretence of story and humour out of the window. Make the action realistic, fast and most importantly, brutal. There's nothing like jabbing a guy's neck with a broken shard of fluorescent lamp and pushing in deeper.
How interesting, I watched this movie for the first time this weekend and I enjoyed it immensely (as a brutal action movie).

The other movie I wathed this weekend was V/H/S. This is actually a collection of short horror stories, all told in first person shakey cam view. Although I don't particularly care for shakey cam movies, I thought that at least two of the short stories were very well done (The Succubus and the Haunted House).

Endless "I like you" Soul
Old 2012-09-10, 10:53   Link #1080
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

This has to be one of the movies in recent memory that manage to portray the lore of it's subject right as the seductive apex predators they are. Unlike some other newer releases.

Another good thing is that this movie capture some of the most attractive living actors in the prime of their life at the peak of their game. The casting director deserves immortality just of this.

But the best thing (at least for me) had to be the young Kirsten Dunst. She had to be seen to believe in this film to say the least.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-09-10 at 11:06.

Tags
live-action, movie, movies