AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-17, 08:41   Link #81
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Watched Episode 1.

So let's see:

- Stupidly-fast pacing, check.
- Automaton Chiaki conducting an Automaton Orchestra, check.
- The music brushed aside as an afterthought, check.
It doesn't matter who the director is this would still happen. I feel Kon Chiaki completely stuffed up Umineko big time (and I'm not talking about it just being rushed) but I can't fault her for Nodame, she's been put in a bad position.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 09:02   Link #82
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It doesn't matter who the director is this would still happen. I feel Kon Chiaki completely stuffed up Umineko big time (and I'm not talking about it just being rushed) but I can't fault her for Nodame, she's been put in a bad position.
No, even with an 11-episode limit, there was still one way this could have been done better, maybe as well as the first season. It could have been so had Kon Chiaki and/or J.C. Staff contented themselves with covering half as much material as they actually did in ~Paris~, instead of rushing the pace and fucking everything up like they did then, and it seems like they're doing now. Even if it eventually worked out to 4 11-episode sequels, I would have been fine with it.

Besides, whether or not Kon was put in a bad position or not, or even if J.C. Staff was put in a bad position or not, or whatever excuse could be thought up....it remains that the execution of this episode still isn't anywhere near S1. Kon just isn't meant to direct something Kasai had made his own.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 11:37   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Even if it eventually worked out to 4 11-episode sequels, I would have been fine with it.
While that might make sense from an artistic perspective, I think you're missing the commercial imperatives involved. All things Nodame are wrapping up now -- the manga, the live-action movies, and the anime. While Nodame Cantabile is certainly one of the most popular late-night animes in recent memory, it's not obvious to me that Fuji would want to devote two more eleven-episode runs on Noitamina over the next two years. By then Nodame will have lost much of the "buzz" (or "synergies" as marketing executives might say) that it enjoys now.

This episode was just okay in my book. Like others I felt it was very rushed, but I suspect that is more the result of the schedule than anything else. As for the OP and ED, I found neither of them all that compelling though I liked the ED a bit better. Neither of them come close to the original OP/ED from the first half of season one.

It does look like the producers paid some attention to the criticism of the Paris arc that it lacked the musical performances from the first season. Of course, given the schedule, it looks like we'll be seeing 1-2 minute snippets from the works rather than the 4-5 minute excerpts we saw in season one.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 13:45   Link #84
rg4619

Quote:
No, even with an 11-episode limit, there was still one way this could have been done better, maybe as well as the first season. It could have been so had Kon Chiaki and/or J.C. Staff contented themselves with covering half as much material as they actually did in ~Paris~, instead of rushing the pace and fucking everything up like they did then, and it seems like they're doing now. Even if it eventually worked out to 4 11-episode sequels, I would have been fine with it.
You're assuming that adaptation coverage is up to the animation staff when Kodansha's fully in charge of this.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 14:50   Link #85
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
You're assuming that adaptation coverage is up to the animation staff when Kodansha's fully in charge of this.
No fully. Fuji TV has as much say on this as Kodansha, if not more. Regardless, neither is going to put more money on it than they already have. So, what if the pacing is rushed? It can't be helped. Kon is doing the best she can with what she's got.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2010-01-17 at 15:24.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 15:33   Link #86
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I personally can't blame Kon either. They have 11 episodes to end this. They will either have to rush things through or cut alot of scenes. Either choice, fans will complain. Actually, I think they'll cut a fair bit and rush things through. I don't think Kasai will be any better in this circumstance.

Quote:
Fuji TV has as much say on this as Kodansha
How much say does Fuji TV have over noitamina's animes? And does the production committee got to pay Fuji for the slot? The other option would be not to air Nodame during this timeslot if they're paying for it anyway. But then Nodame might contracted to only air on Fuji TV, due to the live action.

*I fangirled when I saw Chiaki-sempaiTamaki Hiroshi on TV today.
Old 2010-01-17, 15:54   Link #87
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No fully. Fuji TV has as much say on this as Kodansha, if not more. Regardless, neither is going to put more money on it than they already have.
Kodansha controls the franchise, and they're the ones coordinating the launches of the anime and live-action features (designed to coincide with each other in terms of content and general release timeframe. With the last manga volume having been released, the adaptations are also designed to end right now). Consequently, they've got planning credits for the series as well.

The 11-episode count is Fuji TV. Nevertheless, we're talking about two companies with different primary aims. Fuji's goal is to keep viewers glued to their TVs for 11 weeks, while Kodansha's goal is to promote manga sales (where they make the real money) and coordinate the releases of adapted versions.

Quote:
So, what if the pacing is rushed? It can't be helped.
Exactly. Kon's job is to simply make the most entertaining show she can within those specifications. In deciding what material to include and what to excise, the writing teams certainly have their work cut out for them.

Ken'ichi Kasai and the best anime studios in existence could make the sequels, and they'd still be significantly cut down.
Old 2010-01-17, 16:05   Link #88
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
How much say does Fuji TV have over noitamina's animes?
noitaminA is Fuji TV's project, so they control what airs. For most shows (if not all), they're the leading member of the production committee.

With adaptations though, they don't own the properties, so the copyright holders (usually major members of the production committees too) can have a lot of input on how they want a title to be promoted. Unfortunately, anime is often treated as promotion for something else, so producing the best show often comes secondary to increasing the awareness of manga, light novels, games, etc. After all, the increase in manga sales generate far more profit for a publisher than any royalties they earn from anime revenue.
Old 2010-01-17, 16:18   Link #89
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
How much say does Fuji TV have over noitamina's animes? And does the production committee got to pay Fuji for the slot? The other option would be not to air Nodame during this timeslot if they're paying for it anyway. But then Nodame might contracted to only air on Fuji TV, due to the live action.
Noitamina anime production doesn't work exactly the same way other late night anime do. For instance, Fuji TV is the leading member of the production committee for noitamina anime (as you can see in the credits for nodame and other such anime). Additionally, they are closely involved in the series' conception (they are credited for Higashi no Eden's planning, for example). They don't get time slot payment, but on the other hand they get royalties from DVDs and Blu-ray releases.
Old 2010-01-17, 16:53   Link #90
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

What chapter does the first episode start on? There's no way I could remember
Old 2010-01-17, 22:41   Link #91
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Its hard to express in words how happy i am that Nodame Cantabile has returned to finish out the long ride weve had and iv loved every min on it. I will be sad when it actually ends Chiaki and Nodame have made favorite character list for life lol.

First thing that struck me about the 1st episode was OP theme. I actually felt a lot of heart behind the theme and it had a nice tone to it as well. Like all the other OST for Nodame Cantabile i will be buying as soon as it becomes available. The art for the OP seemed brighter and more lively than the actually animation of the series itself. Also, the musical performances were longer than in the Paris arc a complaint that was shared by many a viewer.

It seems we pick up right where we left off in season 2 and Nodame is not only progressing but also stumbling a bit. Shes come a long way since the first season but it seems the distance professionally between her and Chikaki is actually becoming wider. One can not blame her for feeling this way to have such a talented b/f who you want to perform with but he just seems so out of reach but on a personal level hes right there and you have to see him everyday it can be painful. However, her new found motivation is a curse and blessing. she obsessing over catching up with Chiaki when she should be more focused on her progression and setting her own goals that may or may not intersect with Chiaki's. Her dream is to play Piano along with Chiaki not to play the piano theres a difference. However growth mentally and professionally will be amazing and i cant wait to see what route they take to get us to that point.

It was nice to see the old crew back and surprise surprise Tatiana has a new found motivation for the playing the Piano as well i wonder what brought that on of course we all already know answer. Frank didnt have that much screen time but was humorous in his own way.

Rui's man not only got dumped but damn well had his heart ripped out of chest. He did kind of make a big deal about the kiss. But we all know that Rui is not only talented and a bit spoiled but she is also very very competitive. Seeing Chiaki conduct and play the piano at the same time much turned something on in her brain. I have theory about what she meant when she said "I just realized getting excited over you is a waste of time." Im just not sure on it yet but its definitely got something to do with Chikai and possible her own Piano career as well. The face she made while Chiaki was playing was a little hard to read.

So glad to have the series back Nodame always keeps me on my toes and she did a great job this time around as well. How can we not miss the famous GYABO!!!! and MUYKAA!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 2010-01-17, 23:31   Link #92
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Hmm, i kinda like its OP and ED... (especially much better than OP and ED in Pari~hen)

And yes, looks like Nodame Orchestra is being revived again.
Maybe because this year, there will be a Nodame live-action movie, so Nodame Orchestra is being utilized again. And that kinda make me happy.

As the music proportion, looks ok to me...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 23:49   Link #93
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It didn't feel rushed to me, particularly. But it did feel boring, until the last little bit. Maybe it was just me getting myself back into the story.

In any case, I'm not sure one should blame the director for the pace of telling the story: that would be decided among the producers, the director, and the lead writer, I believe. The lead writer here is Nakashima Kazuki, who did Gurren-Lagann, but none of the previous Nodame Cantabile series. I'm not familiar with the individual names, but I think the producers would be from Fuji, Kodansha, JC Staff, and anyone else who put up money to produce the show, as people have been discussing.

Nevertheless, for whatever reason, I have enjoyed Hanasakeru Seishounen even more since Kon Chiaki left to work on this show and turned it over to someone else to direct.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-01-20 at 14:37.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 00:32   Link #94
rg4619

Quote:
but I think the producers would be from Fuji, Kodansha, JC Staff, and anyone else who out up money to produce the show
They're from Fuji TV and GENCO. J.C.Staff isn't on the production committee, so they have no stake in the show.
Old 2010-01-18, 02:09   Link #95
Asleep

Finally watched it. The first ep didn't feel rushed to me either. I am just glad Nodame is back I do wish it were 20+ episodes though. They will have to rush through things and skip things if it is going to be just 11 episodes.
And Nice OP/ED

So how many chapters are left after the second season? What chapter are we on now?
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 04:02   Link #96
davie

I haven't actually read the manga so I'm oblivious to how much the episode covered the original material, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the first episode. It may have boring moments but what anime doesn't? It sure isn't as action packed as others but it's a nice to watch something different from time to time.

I haven't yet finished the Paris chapter, but now I want to go back and finish the series. Is it a running-gag for nodame to take off her clothes randomly? I don't remember seeing that during the first season, and I'm not sure if that clock has some backstory told during the Paris chapter.

The OP and ED was great as usual. The animation is simple, yet well fitting to the song .
Old 2010-01-18, 21:10   Link #97
blewin

Rant on Nodame the character:

the more I watch Nodame, the more I dislike Nodame. She's so childish and selfish. Does she expect Chiaki to just sit there and do nothing, waiting for her to study and "catch up" to him?? What's wrong with him playing the piano and conducting at the same time? He's managing an orchestra after all, and not just any normal orchestra, but one with a bad reputation. Of course he gotta do something "flashy" to capture the audience.

Nodame's doing well to study harder, but her accusing Chiaki is just not right. Does she ever try looking at things from his perspective?

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 22:05   Link #98
lotus7
Aria Obsessive

I don't know if I'd call the conductor playing the piano while conducting particularly flashy. In fact, I've seen it a number of times, at least, with smaller orchestras.

Good to see this show back though. It is easily one of my all-time favourites. Still, having not read the manga, I'm curious to know by how much they're rushing it. How many chapters did this first episode cover?
Old 2010-01-18, 22:17   Link #99
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post

the more I watch Nodame, the more I dislike Nodame. She's so childish and selfish. Does she expect Chiaki to just sit there and do nothing, waiting for her to study and "catch up" to him?? What's wrong with him playing the piano and conducting at the same time? He's managing an orchestra after all, and not just any normal orchestra, but one with a bad reputation. Of course he gotta do something "flashy" to capture the audience.

Nodame's doing well to study harder, but her accusing Chiaki is just not right. Does she ever try looking at things from his perspective?
Well, I think the issue is that Nodame specifically told him that she dreamed of playing piano with him while he leads an orchestra, and he told her that he also would like to that. Then he goes and does a Piano Concerto without Nodame. This is on top of the fact that he is gaining standing in the world of professional performance while she is lagging behind. I find her disappointment completely natural and understandable.
Old 2010-01-18, 22:21   Link #100
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post

Well Nodame is indeed childish, at least that is how the mangaka portray her...
But although she is childish, she is not annoying. She maybe rant on how Chiaki left her, but she does well to catch up with him. You can see how frustated Nodame is (when she pushed her piano teacher letting her into piano competition).
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina