AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-04, 12:43   Link #121
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

It can be done properly, but unless Tsuzuki suddenly levels up his script writing skill the idea is doomed to fail. Force is already messy as it is

IMO the best way to do that is:
1. Begin the series without mentioning the names of the old cast and planets at all.
2. Keep the terminologies from the Nanoha-verse (Cartridge System, Armed Device, etc) but use them sparsely, just enough to raise suspicion from viewers.
3. Slowly drop hints regarding the life and death of a legendary ace, still without mentioning names of any old characters.
4. After dropping enough hints over the course of several episodes to make viewers speculate the possibility of it being on the same verse, finally: revelation time! Exposition preferably from one of her brighter students like Tea.
Old 2011-02-04, 12:57   Link #122
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias;3471687
4. After dropping enough hints over the course of several episodes to make viewers speculate the possibility of it being on the same verse, finally: [B
revelation time![/B] Exposition preferably from one of her brighter students like Tea.
More like having a legendery older white haired Ace dying middle of the show using two handguns. The Ace in question evidently only goes by a nickname, or else a surname (one we don't know).
Old 2011-02-04, 13:24   Link #123
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

I am not sure the franchise could survive this kind of move, alot of people seems to be fixated on Fate and Nanoha.
Old 2011-02-04, 13:31   Link #124
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I am not sure the franchise could survive this kind of move, alot of people seems to be fixated on Fate and Nanoha.
That's why I suggest to not promote the hypothetical new series as part of the Nanoha-verse at first, so that fans would watch this story not because of the promise of another 'Nanoha and Fate (And Hayate)' story. but like I said before, unless the plot execution is superb...
Old 2011-02-04, 13:31   Link #125
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Same thought, we'll have to remove 'Nanoha' if she's not in it, but she could die in the end of an anime series (Unfortunately Fate was loved 3x times more than Nanoha, so it's fine).
Old 2011-02-04, 13:33   Link #126
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Pretty much. Fate fanboys would be howling in rage that Nanoha was dead. If they'll tear up their manga in anger because it was very very slightly implied one character may not be a virgin, what do you think will happen here?

I think 7arcs knows exactly what cash cow they are milking, and thus they'll keep the subtext up all the way to the end. Take a look at Ranma 1/2, where Takahashi ended it without really settling any of the fiance situation.

But hey, that makes fertile ground for fanfiction!
Old 2011-02-04, 13:39   Link #127
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

It also makes some fanfic writers pissed off. One main reason we fanfic writers actually write fanfics instead of original stories is due to the fact that the original writer either suck real bad or could not refuse his boss.
Old 2011-02-07, 03:22   Link #128
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Fanfic writer's lament. i revel in it so it doesn't bother me if my source has weakness.

Now for theory crafting. Magic is more dangerous than mass based weponry. Stun setting is nice and all, but hear me out.

magic bubble A contains Depleted uranium.

Magic bubble b contains plutonium

magic bubble c contains crap

ram them together BOOM nuclear fallout.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:53   Link #129
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Fanfic writer's lament. i revel in it so it doesn't bother me if my source has weakness.

Now for theory crafting. Magic is more dangerous than mass based weponry. Stun setting is nice and all, but hear me out.

How do you make a magic Bubble contain one of those things?
Old 2011-02-07, 09:12   Link #130
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Force allready has chemicals carried by magic, see Isis's attack on Arnage.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-02-07, 09:56   Link #131
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

It's possible, but I don't know whether it would be feasible. We have yet to know how they powered their machines (LeyLine Reactors? Windtraps? Purified Jewel Seeds?) and I can't help but giggle at the thought of mages raiding nuclear reactors across earth for DU.

And for area denial weapons won't chemical or biological weapons work better?

BTW, it still bugs me that in Force the protagonists skipped right to making AEC equipments (on-screen). No-one ever thought of making spells that instead of manipulating the entire attack, merely converted magic energy into mass-based attacks so that not even their anti-magic could fully disrupt the shot? At the very least, how Stardust Fall works shows us that Nanohaverse mages can use magic the Jedi way aka lobbing object towards the enemy; why not make railgun-like spells? Real Laser attacks instead of pseudo-magic one?

Even if for some reason they're not as good as the AEC's, it would still make a decent stopgap countermeasure while waiting for the new weapons to be produced...
Old 2011-02-07, 11:29   Link #132
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:

Nuclear explosions are a bit more complex than that (the exact timing of the implosion has to be perfect), but yeah, it is possible. And magic shields can be made to contain certain elements while letting others pass. Fate put a shield that filtered out the smoke and gases and let oxygen pass for those folks trapped in the fire.

But yeah, magic can be more dangerous. It's just that mass-based can be used by anyone, so the creator can pass on the device to another. Magic is tied to the individual.
Old 2011-02-08, 17:38   Link #133
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

y'know what bothers me, any elite mage could enact a barrier to dispell one gas in favor of another. Likewise they could put a shield on someone, suck out most of the oxygen and subdue them, no combat needed. sigh, no fun either

Old 2011-02-09, 03:12   Link #134
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Talking Haha

Quote:
y'know what bothers me, any elite mage could enact a barrier to dispel one gas in favor of another. Likewise they could put a shield on someone, suck out most of the oxygen and subdue them, no combat needed. sigh, no fun either
Had your opponent named Yuuno Scrya, RUN!
Old 2011-02-09, 03:19   Link #135
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Yeah, Yuuno would be a quick master of this, but he'd never use it or teach it, oh plot bunnies

Old 2011-02-09, 03:21   Link #136
Arkeus

Quote:
Yeah, Yuuno would be a quick master of this, but he'd never use it or teach it, oh plot bunnies
Can't really be used against mages anyway.
Old 2011-02-09, 04:02   Link #137
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

1. Find any mage with Thunder affinity.
2. Give them railgun (or Rail cannon if a better mage).
2b. Alternatively, give them Coil Gun instead, less barrel to replace.
3. Profit (mass produced AE Troopers).
4. Count how many mages you lost and recruit MORE.
5. Beware that someone named Fate Testarossa or Erio Mondial will coming for your head. FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
Old 2011-02-09, 04:40   Link #138
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Magic in Nanohaverse is too versatile, which is a good and bad thing.

Good because you can do alot of things and get away with it, bad because you can do alot of things and people would wonder why not just use something simpler

Like Teleportation for example, There's so many things you can do once you open up that possibility. Or large scale strategic elemental manipulation? That's always a party... Not good for whichever planet you're on though, but nothing says "Fear us or else" like a class 5 tornado going 250 mph coming their way

...Okay, maybe that's not simple, but it's more creative than your sixth [Really colourful beam of light with a cool name].
Old 2011-02-09, 05:17   Link #139
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Maybe he can use it that way, or maybe he can't. Special traits and limitations of spells in the Nanohaverse are poorly-defined in canon, which is why fanfic writers can have widely different interpretations on how magic works and how they interact with technology.

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-02-09 at 10:42.
Old 2011-02-09, 15:38   Link #140
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well, he's skillful at defensive magic, so barrier manipulation. Its an easy short hop of logic. His morals are another issue.

As far as canon supported magical manipulation of matter, again see Isis's chemical manipulation and Fate's anti pollution barrier beginning of strikers. Barriers can move and collect matter as small as molecules. So, shoving a magical bullet into their lungs with the smallest dose of whatever to knock them out is also possible. Come to think of it, a little air in the blood and oops.

Heck, this expands into the medical field, don't it.

Closed Thread