AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2012-08-07, 11:39   Link #8901
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
So yeah, in general I don't actually particularly like the beginning of this series and am pretty happy with the way it has changed presently.
I can agree with that to some extent. I also think that the manga had improved a lot from it's early days, in particular the plot being more well defined and the story having given the manga it's a unique identity of being more than a simple gag manga. But on the flip side, I think some of the earlier charm of the comedy and the simplicity of the story had been long lost sometime ago, that when Hata had tried to shift the setting back to the same tone as in the start (by making Nagi broke and having her moving out into her own house) it just ... well, didn't work at all.

So, even though I very much prefer the Golden Week portion, I can't help but feel a bit sad that the earlier parts can never come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
To this day I remain impressed with the weave of thematics, character development, action, and humour which was the Golden Week arc.
Yeah, Hata went big with that arc on every level, and it ended up being great. What impressed me was that while he sounded like he wasn't sure about how well it was going to be received (shifting his long running gag manga into a more serious romcom was a pretty risky move), I thought he handled it pretty well. Sure, some parts were pretty ''eh ...'' but on the whole, it was the one time span in the manga where I was just dying week-to-week because each chapter was just so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Actually, the anime is an interesting point. Hata mentions in his volume notes that while it was running he was basically stalling things out and throwing in lots of random shipping to keep the manga from being too different. You can look back at the year the first season was running and it's pretty much "The High School Year" with tons and tons of filler. There's some good bits, at least.
Getting an anime has a very peculiar effect on some manga-ka. I think that Hata did indeed take into consideration the anime while it was running and trying to make the manga more in tone with it (Re: Himegami minor appearance) but I also think it might have charged him creatively to see his work successful enough to get a popular anime, which in tun lead to ...
Quote:
After it ended is when he jumped into setting up the whole Eotw/Golden Week thing which you have to realize at the time he was super nervous about how it would be received.
... him taking a risk with going in a different direction than what he had set up at the start
Quote:
Anyways, I actually liked the way the manga started out and the way it is now, even though they're different. It's some of the middle periods (Again, all Hakou all the time.) that I think are the weakest.
Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Personally, in some respects I've liked some changes whilst I don't like others. For one, I've been vocal in my dislike of Nagi, and I like it better now that the manga isn't as centric on her as it used to be in the earlier chapters. Though she remains the female lead, I like how she's been developed as more of a little sister/daughter and I hope that remains that way.
I was pretty neutral on Nagi, generally liking her other times annoyed with her behavior, but the turning point was when she broke the stone to spare Hayate from his agony between picking between her an Athena. Without even knowing or learning the reason he was in agony, she just understood the stone was the source of it all and she gave it all up for him on the spot without a second thought.

Instant fan (even if later she sort of gotten annoying). One of the manga's most powerful moments.

I also like that the story took a turn towards making her less of a love interest and more of a little sister to Hayate as well.
Quote:
On the other hand, I haven't liked the change in art-style,
Yeah, the art style had gotten a lot more simplistic to the point where it's hard to recognize some of the characters in some panels ... it's pretty bad now -_-

Quote:
Back in the day, I thought Maria was the perfect candidate given her role in the story. But as things have turned out, I really don't hold that opinion any longer.
Who?
Old 2012-08-07, 14:55   Link #8902
Zeross

Quote:
Yeah, the art style had gotten a lot more simplistic to the point where it's hard to recognize some of the characters in some panels ... it's pretty bad now -_-
hu ? where did you thought it was hard ? i never felt it hard to recognize them so i would like some exemples
Old 2012-08-08, 01:25   Link #8903
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Yeah, that kind of thing never crossed my mind either.
Old 2012-08-08, 21:52   Link #8904
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
hu ? where did you thought it was hard ? i never felt it hard to recognize them so i would like some exemples
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
^ Yeah, that kind of thing never crossed my mind either.
I don't remember the exact chapter numbers (it was a really filled with a lot of IMO boring chapters so it's all a blur now), but it was ones like when Hayate caught a cold or some the later Ruka/Comiket chapters where the art ended up slipping to becoming pretty generic in some panels that I couldn't really tell whose who at a glance.

Which is really what I'm talking about here, more about how the art compared to the past volumes had gotten so generic and simplistic to the point where I think some of the cast sometimes looks like they are different characters.

IMO of course. Maybe others don't really have this problem.
Old 2012-08-09, 00:59   Link #8905
Zeross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
but it was ones like when Hayate caught a cold
chapter 353 ?

Quote:
or some the later Ruka/Comiket chapters where the art ended up slipping to becoming pretty generic in some panels that I couldn't really tell whose who at a glance.
Around chapter 333~ its very large here. i remember a character that was appearing like 2 panels and i was "wtf is he ?" but then it was just an HnG's randomness. i dont see any main character not beiing identifiable.
but yes those chapter where boring xD

Quote:
Which is really what I'm talking about here, more about how the art compared to the past volumes had gotten so generic and simplistic to the point where I think some of the cast sometimes looks like they are different characters.

IMO of course. Maybe others don't really have this problem.
well yes and additionaly i marathon through my books of hayate every two or three month. during that i can clearly see the change made in the story/style/and art, but while different i wouldn't call it simplier.

Am i right assuming its this style many don't like ?

while i can see how come some people might dislike it, it is just to emphasis the character mood, like the chibi/SD do, so its okay. they still have awesome fullbody drawing here and there.

i personaly find the very first chapters drawings less pretty (yes its old obviously)

For me the art got better in fact, especialy for sakuya and hina as i didnt realy like their art at the beging of the serie.
Old 2012-08-15, 00:28   Link #8906
alviam099

Hello guys. New here.

The art did changed a lot if we're talking about it. Starting from the first chapter that is. I kinda find it awesome that Hata can throw plots all around with those gags that he puts on the chapters. That's how I perceive it.

Stopped reading this manga back on the end of Greece arc. Then reread it again this year.

It's awkward posting this.

alviam099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 19:44   Link #8907
Used Can

Holy shit. Yukiji wasn't half bad back in the day.
Old 2012-08-19, 09:42   Link #8908
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

great example of what alcohol abuse can do to someone.
Old 2012-08-19, 09:46   Link #8909
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I can relate to Hayate losing his hopes and dreams. Imagine Hina degenerating into her sister.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 09:47   Link #8910
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

what!!!
Katsura Yukiji young version = A-tan + Chiharu....
she's perfect....

and now... we got another flashback chapter next week
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 14:32   Link #8911
Shadow5YA

Hayate always manages to troll Hina somehow without realizing it.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 09:04   Link #8912
mitsuganae

At least Hata had the sense(?) to state "Next time: a new development in the great cleaning!! (not really)"
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 22:58   Link #8913
HasuMasu
*Artist

At first I thought it was A-tan.

WHAT HAPPENED!!!???
well duh, she cut her hair
Old 2012-08-25, 19:40   Link #8914
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
At first I thought it was A-tan.

WHAT HAPPENED!!!???
well duh, she cut her hair
alcohol
Old 2012-08-26, 04:36   Link #8915
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for 375:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 05:45   Link #8916
HasuMasu
*Artist

Spoiler for 375:
Old 2012-08-27, 00:30   Link #8917
Used Can

I really liked how we got Yukiji's perspective on this. Certainly, stability can cause you to become lazy.

Anyhow, I think it'd have been nice had this turned into a talk about elder siblings. Hayate and Hina are both similar in which both of them had shitty parents, but reliable elder siblings - though, unlike Yukiji, Ikusa was out there doing his thing instead of being with Hayate (but, all the same, Hayate was already 16 when his parents abandoned him). I'd really have liked to see Hayate talk about Ikusa, as we still know little to nothing about him.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:18   Link #8918
Trans-Fat

I am hoping that Yukiji's past will be revealed and has some tie-in with why the parents left, with the King's Jewel, and with Mikkaido. But I can only hope.

After rereading older chapters (Valentine's day arc and Hayate staying over at Hinagiku's place), whatever happened to Shiranui? And has Hinagiku and Ayumu ever seen the cat again?
Old 2012-08-27, 21:13   Link #8919
Richocet
Lover of Purity

I wonder if the elder siblings of Haya-Hina ever met each other...probably not since he only goes to a woman who cries for help and Yukiji didn't once cry for help (that we know of)
Old 2012-08-27, 21:14   Link #8920
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richocet View Post
I wonder if the elder siblings of Haya-Hina ever met each other...probably not since he only goes to a woman who cries for help and Yukiji didn't once cry for help (that we know of)
that would have been iinteresting. Could have meet in passing, yukiji didn't necessary have to ask for help.

Tags
comedy, shounen