AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-22, 18:00   Link #861
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I think that's one of the few issues I have with the manga. Instead of the natural growth, the characters act to fit the scene instead. Makes things a bit inconsistent and some of them just feel out of character completely. The other issue I have is the pace. Way too much drama in too little time. I mean, in the course of 15 chapters (from 12 to 27) we saw Utsumi go through more stuff than some characters do for entire mangas, including 2 rejections in 14 chapters (albeit one ambiguous).
Old 2010-03-22, 21:04   Link #862
Rainrir
Tin Can

I would say I see Utsumi's reactions as less cyclic than being "reactionary" to events that already happened. The key thing to understanding Utsumi's actions to Yuki is that...like Shou...Yuki has a unsevered link with a person she loves in the past. Utsumi is actually more uneasy over that and an ambigious "rejection" that isn't. Especially considered that, while he has forgiven Shou for what happened between them, he is still wary of getting blindsided by old flames coming out from nowhere. I don't think that is too unnatural.

As for the stalker part, in his mind he is being protective of Yuki because he heard "unsubstantiated rumours"of Negishi being an bad-egg. I remember this well, because someone argued for a month with me over...something related to this. Yes, Utsumi was rushing to conclusions and it was obviously played for comedy, but I don't think it was reverse development. He used to stalk because he was afraid...now he "stalks" because he is worried (though he didn't understand at that time that he likes Yuki). At that time, I don't think he ever thought of what he is doing as stalking. Contrast with the time when he ended up chasing Shou all the way to her house.

That is how I see it anyway.

For now I get the vibe that Utsumi sticks his neck out for his friends rather than himself...so this action does make some sense.

As for Yuki..well. You can believe whatever you want I suppose.

Last edited by Rainrir; 2010-03-22 at 21:30.
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 23:11   Link #863
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I think that's one of the few issues I have with the manga. Instead of the natural growth, the characters act to fit the scene instead. Makes things a bit inconsistent and some of them just feel out of character completely. The other issue I have is the pace. Way too much drama in too little time. I mean, in the course of 15 chapters (from 12 to 27) we saw Utsumi go through more stuff than some characters do for entire mangas, including 2 rejections in 14 chapters (albeit one ambiguous).
Yeah, After being so blunt about ticket things he runs away after confession. Kind of ruins the impression of his development. It does feel like its not development but rather an act to suit the scene to get more drama.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 23:30   Link #864
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Yeah, After being so blunt about ticket things he runs away after confession. Kind of ruins the impression of his development. It does feel like its not development but rather an act to suit the scene to get more drama.
Well, that was more likely because Utsumi didnt mean to confess, and when he realised he did confess he wasnt prepared to face the consequences. Its a natural reacton of a guy with low self-esteem, especially when his friendship is on the line it wasnt reverting back to his old self, it was rather he was too shocked that what he was thinking, actually came out of his mouth in the heat of the moment as an act of impulse, he was horrified when he realised it. It seemed quite natural to, and for the record I have actually seen confession like these (Satsuki), it didnt ruin Utsumi's development or image

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I think Utsumi's development really is striking when compared to other mangas, like you said, he has had to go through some testing moments in a remarkably short amount of time and I think he adjusted and acted quite admirably so far. Just imagine a Manaka JUunpei, a Yamato or a Haruto in his situation....they would lock themselves up in their room for days. Utsumi's maturity has been pretty consistent IMO, and has been there for all too see, its not a sudden thing like 4 years after. Especially his friends arent just another part of the background like other mangas. Shou hasnt been given a chance or time to develop but after the recent events, I doubt that will remain the same. Yuki, I admit is a quandary, but her character is somewhat supposed to be inconsistent if you ask me, given her past, her now complicated situation with Utsumi, her family, she has quite alot on her plate. I actually find the fact that the author showed Yuki's coolness was a front she put up for the world, while being quite vulnerable on the inside. Yuki has many layers to her, so I think she was meant to be abit inconsistent with her actions, as befits a confused, conflicted soul bound by the chains of the past and not knowing how or whether to move forward
Old 2010-03-22, 23:47   Link #865
Darknemo2000

If he would have moved it I doubt he would have left it as ambiguous, but it is obvious that some part of his spine are missing during that event. I do view it as reversing back because ticket thing was very blunt from his part. But after it he reversed to his old shy self (even before confession).

On the other hand Yuki is very good example to fit the scene. From seemingly perceptive girl she turns into dumb one who is utterly shocked by the confession, though if you have some brains the ticket thing was prtetty much good give-away that Utsu has strong feelings regarding her.
Old 2010-03-22, 23:56   Link #866
Dark Mage

Quote:
On the other hand Yuki is very good example to fit the scene. From seemingly perceptive girl she turns into dumb one who is utterly shocked by the confession, though if you have some brains the ticket thing was prtetty much good give-away that Utsu has strong feelings regarding her.
Not really as big a give-away as you seem to be thinking. Yuki knows Utsu is an honest bloke and tries to remain true to his words even at his own inconvenience at times, that's why she calls him an "Idiot" or "you should've brought the girl you like instead of me to the concert, you are an idiot". Yuki only sees Utsumi as the naive, honest idiot who would go to any lengths to keep his promise to a friend. By no means was the ticket a dead-give-away. She thinks of him as childlike guy with an innocense that's unrivalled and is affectionate towards him like how a childhood friend acts towards her friend. Like I said, Yuki was blindsided by Utsumi's friendship to see him as something more or that he could see her as something more, its a common mistake that alot of many close friends even in real life make

Last edited by Dark Mage; 2010-03-23 at 02:42.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 00:02   Link #867
Darknemo2000

Or the way she acts after the whole ambigious answer - it is natural that the guy would act angry at you but Yuki is still surprised by Utsu's cold shoulder. But it is dumb to think he would react in any other way with what you have done to him. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure it out.

Not to mention that on utsu's stalking part I think his friends noted best was that he was trying to find a bad things in the guy rather than being just worried. I would still call it stalking activity so yeah he did not develop all that much.
Old 2010-03-23, 00:10   Link #868
Rainrir
Tin Can

I tend to believe that Yuki is somewhat aware that she LIKES Utsumi, but she just isn't ready to be with someone she has so much emotional trust with as a friend. If they come a couple, the required trust is so much more. Utsumi is really unlike the other guys to her..he has the funny ability to drop the walls she erected around her heart without trying. I think Yuki fears this more than anything else. Girl is not ready for that level of emotional intimacy yet.

I did used to feel the ticket thing should be bloody obvious, back then I thought Yuki would at least be in the know...a little. But darkmage's point makes sense...Yuki knows she has some feelings for Utsumi...but she sure doesn't know if Utsumi likes her back. Not to mention that she does think of Utsumi as a guy obessed with doing the "right thing".

@Darknemo

Like I said days before. The cold shoulder thing she couldn't have expected because Utsumi gave her the cold shoulder at school AFTER HER OUTBURST AT RYOU . They are actually getting along FINE the MORNING AFTER, the time on the train and the time RIGHT after they exited the train station. She would have to be psychic to think that her outburst to Ryou would affect Utsumi so much and Utsumi would pull a 180 in such a short time. At least initially, she cannot understand what is going on.

Last edited by Rainrir; 2010-03-23 at 00:27.
Old 2010-03-23, 00:26   Link #869
Dark Mage

Quote:
Or the way she acts after the whole ambigious answer - it is natural that the guy would act angry at you but Yuki is still surprised by Utsu's cold shoulder. But it is dumb to think he would react in any other way with what you have done to him. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure it out.

Not to mention that on utsu's stalking part I think his friends noted best was that he was trying to find a bad things in the guy rather than being just worried. I would still call it stalking activity so yeah he did not develop all that much.
Yuki HAS figured out why Utsumi is cold-shouldering her, and that was the reason she appeared so sad and later made her herself scarce during lunchtime. But as far as Yuki thinks, she has already answered Utsumi, and now wanted things back to normal. But, yes, I do find her guilty of not explaining things properly to Utsumi but like I said, Yuki herself isnt as cool-headed and calm as yyou might think, she is afterall a confused, conflicted 15 year old girl herself. I repeat Yuki isnt surprised by Utsumi's behaviour she already knows
Old 2010-03-23, 02:15   Link #870
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Yuki HAS figured out why Utsumi is cold-shouldering her, and that was the reason she appeared so sad and later made her herself scarce during lunchtime. But as far as Yuki thinks, she has already answered Utsumi, and now wanted things back to normal. But, yes, I do find her guilty of not explaining things properly to Utsumi but like I said, Yuki herself isnt as cool-headed and calm as yyou might think, she is afterall a confused, conflicted 15 year old girl herself. I repeat Yuki isnt surprised by Utsumi's behaviour she already knows
I don't see how she expects that acting like nothing happened won't effect Utsu who amde a confession to her. And if she thinks she gave an clear answer then she is more of an idiot, because thats an answer no one could make a meaning. And much less a naive, inexperienced in love Utsu.
Old 2010-03-23, 02:52   Link #871
Rainrir
Tin Can

Are you even reading what I wrote? orz
Old 2010-03-23, 21:26   Link #872
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

28's scanlation is out.

Awesome chapter. Knew she was going to get heart broken by that guy. But kudos to Utsumi for being awesome. I guess we'll be getting a break from Kurokawa for a little while. Gotta put her off til the very end, huh?
Old 2010-03-24, 06:53   Link #873
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
28's scanlation is out.

Awesome chapter. Knew she was going to get heart broken by that guy. But kudos to Utsumi for being awesome. I guess we'll be getting a break from Kurokawa for a little while. Gotta put her off til the very end, huh?
hammer down..... YeS!!!!!! she WILL burn!!!!! muhahahahaha! emotsumi!!!!! use that chance to make her break!!!!
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 07:12   Link #874
mammothb

so after this will be utsumi comforting senpai, and they two get into a relationship(or a very close and easily misunderstood relationship) before he gets together with kurokawa huh...
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 07:15   Link #875
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
28's scanlation is out.

I'd disagree on the bolded part. He knew for a fact that Shou's a lost case since he saw Mr. Rebound and his ex at the concert, but he was reluctant to tell her the truth seeing how troubled Shou was at not wanting to lose the guy.

It'd make sense that Utsumi would be tight-lipped over the issue, since Shou herself is afraid to pursue the matter, but what Utsumi did, by consoling her like that is almost not that different from how Shou was stringing Utsumi for a bit until he had to find out that she had preferred Keito.

Awesome would be Utsumi going to confront Keito immediately after telling the white lie to Shou, but that's too much to expect out of him at this stage. It's not Kimi no Iru Machi.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 08:48   Link #876
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Images for chapter 29...

Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-24, 10:08   Link #877
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Spoiler for #29:
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 10:27   Link #878
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

*Trying to keep topic away from raw discussion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothb View Post
so after this will be utsumi comforting senpai, and they two get into a relationship(or a very close and easily misunderstood relationship) before he gets together with kurokawa huh...
I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I'd disagree on the bolded part. He knew for a fact that Shou's a lost case since he saw Mr. Rebound and his ex at the concert, but he was reluctant to tell her the truth seeing how troubled Shou was at not wanting to lose the guy.

It'd make sense that Utsumi would be tight-lipped over the issue, since Shou herself is afraid to pursue the matter, but what Utsumi did, by consoling her like that is almost not that different from how Shou was stringing Utsumi for a bit until he had to find out that she had preferred Keito.

Awesome would be Utsumi going to confront Keito immediately after telling the white lie to Shou, but that's too much to expect out of him at this stage. It's not Kimi no Iru Machi.
It wasn't exactly his place to tell her that. If he told her that, he would be getting himself involved more. He gave her advice, good advice, that he did not need to. There is no need for him to get involved more, especially none to confront the guy.

And KnIM? That doesn't fit this situation.
Old 2010-03-24, 11:07   Link #879
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Spoiler for #29:
Spoiler for Sp 29:
Old 2010-03-24, 11:57   Link #880
Flight012

Quote:
Spoiler for Sp 29:
Spoiler for :
Flight012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi