Old 2009-07-19, 15:34   Link #201
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bath-Teth View Post
Sugimoto:

The cool and athletic sempai, who goes for cute and insecure kouhai's (Fumi). I guess Kyouko isn't cute and insecure enough for her or she's not interested in an equal and serious partnership with another girl (probably the player-type).

Conclusion:
I'm not convinced of her being a lesbian (or having a real physical attraction towards girls. The kiss proves nothing, imo.)
Though nothing is stopping her from being BI-sexual

To me, she seems like the dominant type (or wants to be) of any relationship, which is why she is interested in the submissive Fumi.

ep 3
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 15:59   Link #202
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Heh, one of the best parts about this is reading none-manga reader's opinions on the characters, and what their future holds for them in this story. I was the same while reading the manga, thinking such thoughts.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:33   Link #203
TJR

Quote:
My breakdown for the main characters "lesbianism" after EP 3:

Kyokou:

Has a serious crush on Sugimoto and got rejected. Doesn't care for her fiance.
Conclusion: Might be a lesbian.

Sugimoto:

The cool and athletic sempai, who goes for cute and insecure kouhai's (Fumi). I guess Kyouko isn't cute and insecure enough for her or she's not interested in an equal and serious partnership with another girl (probably the player-type).

Conclusion:
I'm not convinced of her being a lesbian (or having a real physical attraction towards girls. The kiss proves nothing, imo.)
Quote:
I don't see what the "Why are all girls lesbians?"-comment is based on.
With this issue, I don't think there's any consensus. By textbook definition, lesbianism is defined by a woman's prevailing attraction to other women. However, that works on the assumption that sexual orientation falls along a gradient (develops throughout one's life), with most individuals having some potential to be homosexual or bisexual (and perhaps some degree of same sex attraction from the start).

This view is still contested by many people. To those who believe in fixed, rigid orientation, any homoerotic attraction equates to non-heterosexuality, so heartfelt kisses and emotional longing apply.

So yeah, in the view of the latter, Kyoko and Sugimoto are definitely non-straight.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 18:40   Link #204
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Maybe I am just not watching the right shows because I can't really think of many examples where lesbian characters are constantly hampered by society's disapproval for their relationships. Even if we assume this is just my miss, I still find it quite impossible to classify Aoi Hana as some easy going escapism in that respect but I'd rather not say more than agreeing with musouka because my view is also based on reading the manga.

I am still loving the leisurely pace of this series. Not much to say about ep.3 apart from it being just as good as the other two. Plenty of character development and the drama is coming up, pretty much literally with the school play. Talk about a classic romantic device.
Sugimoto is coming through as a bit too relaxed and casual, just as it should be. And yes, sure Fumi fell for her very quickly but Sugimoto is the school idol, as we saw from the start Fumi has grave difficulties saying no and I reckon she needs to rebound from Chizu's betrayal.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 06:35   Link #205
Bath-Teth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Though nothing is stopping her from being BI-sexual

To me, she seems like the dominant type (or wants to be) of any relationship, which is why she is interested in the submissive Fumi.

ep 3
Spoiler:
I've got the same impression from Sugimoto.
Spoiler:
Bath-Teth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 06:45   Link #206
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

People shouldn't hate on Sugimoto straight away. Take her feelings into consideration when you're judging her character.
Old 2009-07-20, 06:52   Link #207
Bath-Teth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
With this issue, I don't think there's any consensus. By textbook definition, lesbianism is defined by a woman's prevailing attraction to other women. However, that works on the assumption that sexual orientation falls along a gradient (develops throughout one's life), with most individuals having some potential to be homosexual or bisexual (and perhaps some degree of same sex attraction from the start).

This view is still contested by many people. To those who believe in fixed, rigid orientation, any homoerotic attraction equates to non-heterosexuality, so heartfelt kisses and emotional longing apply.

So yeah, in the view of the latter, Kyoko and Sugimoto are definitely non-straight.
Agreed.

I just wanted to clarify that dating or crushing on girls (as a teen) don't automatically makes you a lesbian. I guess they are a form of discovering your own sexuality and for many girls that age having a crush for another girl doesn't mean they'd actually enjoy being intimate (having sex) with girls. If you don't enjoy sex with other girls you are not a lesbian (and not even Bi), period.

As I said, as far as we know only Fumi had sex with a girl and she obviously liked it, which makes her the only confirmed lesbian (since she doesn't seem to be interested in the male gender at all) in my book.
Old 2009-07-20, 06:58   Link #208
Bath-Teth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
People shouldn't hate on Sugimoto straight away. Take her feelings into consideration when you're judging her character.
There's a big difference between "hate" and "don't like".

I don't like Sugimoto, but you're right we don't know much about her. Still she made Kyouko cry and is hitting on an emotional unstable Fumi. That's enough for me to dislike her, for now.

I definitely hate Fumi's cousin, though(what was her name?). Seducing a minor (while being engaged) and praticaly throwing her away afterwards is just disgusting behavior.
Old 2009-07-20, 07:43   Link #209
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'd like to add that girls like Sugimoto who are somewhat tentatively selective in their words, likes to take charge, has short boyish hair and really frakishly tall are exactly my type.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 07:44   Link #210
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
There's a big difference between "hate" and "don't like".
It was just a line i use. I basically meant hate.

Quote:
I don't like Sugimoto, but you're right we don't know much about her. Still she made Kyouko cry and is hitting on an emotional unstable Fumi. That's enough for me to dislike her, for now.
Have you stopped to think why Kyouko cried? For all you know it's not Sugimoto's fault at all, and your dislike against her for that reason may be completely wrong.

& regarding her hitting on Fumi, how is Sugimoto supposed to know Fumi is in that state? Maybe she's just following her heart, and going for a girl she likes.
Old 2009-07-20, 07:53   Link #211
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Kyouko most likely cried because she was turned down by Sugimoto, and Sugimoto was apparently attracted to the bookish Fumi. Is there anything wrong with turning down people you don't like because you already have someone you like? It's human nature, unless people think that it's better to lie to yourself than make others cry.

In any case, Kyouko should have known it's a two way street. Just because she apparently confessed to Sugimoto doesn't mean she'll respond in kind.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 07:54   Link #212
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Kyouko most likely cried because she was turned down by Sugimoto, and Sugimoto was apparently attracted to the bookish Fumi. Is there anything wrong with turning down people you don't like because you already have someone you like? It's human nature, unless people think that it's better to lie to yourself than make others cry.

In any case, Kyouko should have known it's a two way street. Just because she apparently confessed to Sugimoto doesn't mean she'll respond in kind.
Basically yes, you're right. This is why i'm saying the dislike for Sugimoto at this point is completely uncalled for when she's done nothing which should build up any dislike for her.
Old 2009-07-20, 11:33   Link #213
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Another beautiful episode done perfectly. Im starting to see a running theme here since i say this every week but its true. Fumi is just adorable to watch her subtle moments and akward facial expressions are just a joy to watch since i think they are very detailed especially when she blushes it doesnt seemed forced even her smile reflects her personality very subtle.

It was interesting to me to hear Sugimoto was interested in Fumi. I think this might be where the "opposite attract" comes into play. However it was very easy to tell she was interested in Fumi besides her actually saying "I realized your my type". The animators did a wonderful job not with eye moment but body posturing as well. When they are sitting on the bench the animator adopted the technique of if a person's body posture faces towards you they are interested. I noticed this right away her body gave it all away i cant help but to think that the animators payed careful attention to this fact. On their date it was funny because when i saw Sugimoto and Fumi walking together my first thought was "i can tell who the masculine one is" Fumi was dressed in something like a Sunday dressed with a over the shoulder shaw i think with nice open toed heels. While Sugimoto wore sneakers what looked like capri's and a pretty tomboyish shirt which could directly be attributed to her playing basketball. Very lovely scene of them holding hands and the kiss (which had to be initiated by Sugimoto) was done well. I was actually satisfied with not seeing the kiss just they lower halfs standing close to one another.

Akira's development well i can understanding her feelings. I mean her brother needs to get over this sister complex thing its going to end up sending her to therapy. What i find interesting was seeing Akira cry for the first time she was always comforting her Fumi when she cried. She always appeared strong and confident it was a change to see her vulnerable her crying it depths to her character and shows she herself has a sensitive and emotional side.

So far this is one of my favorites series this season. This emotional and heartfelt series i wouldn't recommend to beginner anime watchers. I dont feel that most viewers would be able to grasp how deep this series goes romantically, emotionally and just how beautifully the story really is, it being a Yuri happens to be a byproduct in my mind. Im not being a dick i just notice how these kind of series that favor enjoyable and fantastic writing along with character driven plots can be easily passed over for powered up giant robot smash em all series not that anything is wrong with that hell i love explosions too. But after watching anime for so long it takes a lot more than pretty transformations and visuals to impress me. Aoi Hana just happens to good visuals good music and fantastic writing.
Old 2009-07-20, 13:02   Link #214
Bath-Teth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

No there's nothing wrong with it, as there's nothing wrong with me being biased against Sugimoto for turning Kyouko down and dating Fumi.
It's simple, I like Kyouko more than Sugimoto and seeing her making Kyouko cry (for whatever reason) won't make me suddenly like her more.

As much as Sugimoto's your type, I don't care much for her looks and nonchalant character. It's a good thing tastes differ.

At least she's not 2-timing Fumi and going out with both at the same time.
Old 2009-07-21, 08:20   Link #215
scr
my sides are in orbit

Lightbulb

Quote:
Any Yuri-ish anime without any males in it (e.g. SP) or only as a comedy relief (Saki) is plain male fanservice, anyway. I'm glad Aoi Hana is not one of them. On the contrary, the males in this show are essential to the plot.
Um, at least Strawberry Panic had some depths of story in it, if you play[*1] the PS2 visual novel. People easily dismiss SP since the other contender for yuri of the year was Simoun [*2].

As for Saki, being a fanservice for males is one of its selling point, but in no way its only[*3].

[*1] Is this even the correct verb?
[*2] My favorite character was Anubituf. Man, ain't he had it tough.
[*3] Momoko's backstory is especially touching, with or without yuri goggles.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 15:05   Link #216
TheBigN
Piercing heavens with ~s
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheBigN Send a message via MSN to TheBigN Send a message via Yahoo to TheBigN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Basically yes, you're right. This is why i'm saying the dislike for Sugimoto at this point is completely uncalled for when she's done nothing which should build up any dislike for her.
And granted that the show still hasn't revealed a lot about her yet. For those who haven't read the manga, all in good time. :P

Drastic My Anime Blog- My anime blog.
TheBigN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 14:36   Link #217
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 04:
Old 2009-07-22, 14:54   Link #218
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes. Yesyesyesyesyes.
Spoiler for ep4:
And the OP continues to be so enjoyable. The song is pleasant and very suitable. The legs running is just outstanding animation. The tilting ground of flowers is wonderful. The dancing, the whirling, the hands, the final little finger. And especially the dropped flowers and the nude scene. About the only thing that doesn't make it for me is the blue flower, which somehow seems too metallic, not soft like the rest of the OP.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-07-22 at 15:14.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 13:52   Link #219
adamatari

Spoiler for Ep 4 stuff:

There really is a lot to this, isn't there? I'm pleased with the development of this series, what seemed like a slow pace at first now does not at all.
adamatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 15:11   Link #220
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I'm thoroughly enjoying the story, regardless of the subject matter. The slowness of the story I think, allows us to breathe in the depth of the relationships revealed to us. Not everything has to be smash bang and in your face all the time.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, school life, yuri