AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-02, 20:03   Link #61
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

I feel in my opinion, Fruits Basket is inappropriate considering that Shirogame and some other characters talk about stuff that aren't for kids to know. I may let them watch it but only with supervision which can be very tiring. sigh...
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 20:04   Link #62
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Chi's sweet home.

It's about a kitty.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 20:09   Link #63
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Chi's sweet home.

It's about a kitty.
Awwww.....this sounds sooo cuuutee. No doubt that they will like it, though it may not have romance. They love kittens.
Old 2012-08-02, 20:23   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
Awwww.....this sounds sooo cuuutee. No doubt that they will like it, though it may not have romance. They love kittens.
Just a warning that it's all subtitled. Also if you do intend to watch Chi, be sure and start with season one which is only available via fansubs. (Crunchyroll has season two but has never made an effort to license the first season.) AS was required to remove the listings here, but that probably will only be a minor bump in the road if you're committed to watching this. It's definitely a good choice. You might also take a look at Higepiyo, with a tour-de-force performance by Paku Romi in the lead role.

Two other shows that I don't think have been mentioned that these girls might enjoy are Windy Tales and Mahou Shoujotai Arusu ("Tweeny Witches"). Not much romance in either of them, but they are very age-appropriate. Despite it's title, Tweeny Witches has a very dark theme at its core and can appeal to adults as well as kids.

How about Madoka? Yes, it's seinen and rather dark, but it doesn't really have any offensive material except perhaps for the fact that
Spoiler:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 20:53   Link #65
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm... it's getting a little harder to pick something, so take these suggestions with a bigger grain of salt.

You might want some additional opinions on them, and/or check them out yourself.

Touch, I believe Touch is pretty clean. I haven't actually seen the anime though so I can't be certain. It's by the same author as Cross Game. It's much older. Highly favored by Japanese mothers as the number one anime they would like their children to watch.

K-On! is probably a good pick. All about girls in a highschool band together. If they're fans of Hannah Montana they'll probably eat it up.

Maybe Chrome Shelled Regios? It's a mixture of a romance and an action/adventure show. I don't remember any real ecchi scenes. There is no conclusion to the romance. More focused on the combat and fighting then I'd expect them to like.

Inuyasha is pretty clean isn't it? I only saw a the first few epsiodes, but I don't think it's too heavy on ecchi is it? Might be a few off color jokes. That's an old adventure/romance anime. Had a pretty heavy romance side too if I remember correctly. It was aimed at a older audience then 10, depends on what you think of it.

Ah My Goddess is a pretty morally upright romance... of course Urd does show up and start trying to push Belldandy and Keichi into a physical relationship, which they resist. Might want to watch up to when Urd appears and see what you think first, she does ooze the sex appeal. Peroth might actually be worse though, but she's not until either very late in the first season, or maybe not even till second season.

Usagi Drop No real romance, but a wonderful slice of life about the sacrifices a parent makes for a child. They might like it.

Chihayafuru Not a lot of focus on romance, but might be interesting to them with a strong female lead.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 21:42   Link #66
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

@ Sackett : Great suggestions except for Ah My Goddess. I have watched that myself and loved it but it is too..what's the word...ah....physically inappropriate.

@ SeijiSensei: I might just try Mahou Shoujotai Arusu mainly because i don't want to have to watch a baby show while supervising. Thanks for the consideration.
Old 2012-08-02, 21:48   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
K-On! is probably a good pick. All about girls in a highschool band together. If they're fans of Hannah Montana they'll probably eat it up.
AKB0048 might be another good choice in this genre. When the show opens the main characters are ten, but most of the story happens a few years later. There are nine main girls, all between 10 and 16 years of age.

The conceit of AKB0048 is that there was a horrible war on earth forcing humans to explore other planets. On many of those planets entertainment is forbidden (as was true in 1840s Japan; cf. the Tenpō reforms and Oh! Edo Rocket), so the AKB idol singers stage guerrilla concerts to rouse the populace to throw off their oppressors. All very silly yet strangely compelling as it turns out.
Old 2012-11-03, 21:55   Link #68
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

I have shown my sister the animes. As she saw them, i asked for her opinion and she loves them.
Here are those that she personally enjoyed:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Ginban Kaleidoscope
La Corda D'oro
Vampire Knight
My Neighbour Totoro
Uta No Prince Sama

The animes she has seen, i have seen. Right now, my list is shrinking. I need more.

To give you an insight as to what she might like (kids are impossible to figure out -_-"):
I have tried getting her to like One Piece she only told me after going through 70 episode that she hates it. She delayed cause she was afraid of hurting my feelings (so sweet but a burden)
Prince Of Tennis worked a little. She liked the suspense of each match that went on but came to a decision after 4 episodes that it's not her type.
Ginban Kaleidoscope, however, she loved. She even said, "That is the best anime ever!!" I was so happy then. Uta No prince Samaalso worked out very well. Can't wait for the second season/

Maybe something like Ginban Kaleidoscope would be good. I'm going to try Shugo Chara with her. I've seen it. Maybe she'll like it.

She doesn't mind if it doesn't have romance but would like it though.
Here are the genres: Romance, drama, slice of life,comedy, bishies if possible (she's turning out like me ).
Absolutely NO echhi, yaoi or yuri or perverted stuff.

Thanks for your attention and I sincerely apologize for the long post.
Old 2012-11-03, 23:38   Link #69
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Okay so another list of shows that might need some further investigation on your part:

Otome Youkai Zakuro: Romance, drama, slice of life, comedy, and bishies. Pretty clean.

Last Exile: An older action adventure show. Available on Funimation's Youtube channel.

Ano Hana: Childhood friends have drifted apart, but in highschool one of their group reunites them as they work through their emotional traumas.

Tiger and Bunny: No romance, but does have bishie superheroes. Sort of an ode to the silver age superheros.

Kamisama Hajimemashita: Currently airing. A girl accidentally becomes a shrine deity and gets herself a bishie kitsune as her servant. So far nothing really naughty. The most I can think of is some subtle innuendo in the opening. Of course it hasn't finished yet, and I'm not familiar with the source material so I can't promise it will stay that way, but I doubt it will change much.

Little Busters!: A Key VN that is being adapted to an anime (similar to Kanon and Clannad). Not familiar with the source material, but is a possiblity if it's anything like Clannad. I'd wait for the anime to end though first and confirm that there are no objectionable parts (that or get someone familiar with the source to clue you in).

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Romance, drama, slice of life, comedy, and bishies. Girl who is a study bug is asked to deliver homework assignments to the absent delinquent. He thinks this means she is his friend. Next thing she knows he's dragging her into all sorts of problems. Knowing the source material it's actually rather clean, but the male lead does play into some of the "bad boy" shoujo stereotypes, and he is certainly attracted sexually to the female lead (though he restrains himself)- her response is not the typical shoujo thing of being excited by it, (nor the typical shounen response of getting violent) instead she's just really uncomfortable with that kind of talk- the way I'd guess a normal girl would feel. For my cousin I'd probably wait until she was at least 12, but you might want to check it out yourself and see what you think.

Tari Tari: Haven't watched beyond the first couple episodes, but might be somewhat good for this.

Hanasaku Iroha
: Maybe okay for this? I only watched a couple episodes. I remember the 2nd or 3rd episode did have a bunch of light fanservice, but I was told that episode was not representative of the rest of the series. You might want to check it out yourself and see what you think.

Bodacious Space Pirates: Highschool girl inherits her father's spaceship and privateer license, begins to have adventures in space. No real romance. There is a lesbian couple that is a plot element in a later arc in the series. (One of the girls is being married off against her will, and the other half of the couple hires our heroine to go rescue the other girl). Not sure how out of bounds that is for you, there is a kiss after the rescue but that's it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 01:41   Link #70
Kurohane

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Anyone can watch this and is an excelent work. Basically, it is about two girls' encounter with one another and their story of becoming friends.

Cardfight Vanguard: It is for everyone. It's more than about a cardgame. It teaches lessons of self-confidence and the art of fair play through the experiences of the main character Aichi.

Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle: the first and second season were particularly good. It focuses on the love story of the main male and female characters. In addition, the story has adventure, fantasy, and magic. The OVAs you may want to reconsider because they are darker and more serious than either season. However, the movie is for anyone to watch and is really good. The princess of Clow country, Sakura, has lost her memories in the shape of feathers. Her childhood friend Syaoran must travel to different worlds in the hopes of collecting them all. He is not alone, traveling with a swordsman and a wizard each with their own reasons for traveling, along with Sakura herself, he travels to restore his dear friend's memory, but there is a price to be paid.

Cardcaptor Sakura: a classic. It features a little of everything: slice of life, love, action, and magic. The main characters are the same as Tsubasa, but basically a different dimension. A regular girl Sakura Kinomoto one day discovers a strange book in her father's study. She opens it and accidentally unleashes cards of unimaginable power. Now, as a cardcaptor, she must find and reclaim them all.

El Hazard: The Magneficent World: An OVA series. A high school boy discovers a mysterious girl in the ruins of his school. She sends him and three others: his teacher, childhood friend and her brother to the world of El Hazard: the world of endless adventure. It is love story, and has fantasy and comedic elements. However, there is a lesbian, two actually, but the other doesn't appear until later. You'll understand why once you watch the first two episodes. However, it is more for comedy, and nothing really adult happens. If that won't do, try El Hazard: the Wanderers TV series as that is more simplistic and kid friendly than the OVAs. They are both wonderful stories.

Our Home's Fox Diety: Two brothers are called to their family shrine, and discover they come from a line of water preistesses. The sudden revelation is because the younger brother Tooru is being targeted by a demon. Needing assitance, the matriarch of the family, the grandmother decides to unseal the family's guardian deity, the fox spirit Kuugen. The anime is really a slice of like with elements of the supernatural. The first episode takes care of introductions and the demon incident. Kuugen and a preistesss guardian, a sentinel, in-training Kou comes back with the brothers to their home. From there, many events occur from normal to the supernatural.

Others I haven't watched but know about:
Emma: a Victorian Romance
Ai Yori Aoshi
Kobato

I'll list more as soon as I can.

Last edited by Kurohane; 2012-11-04 at 13:43.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 07:44   Link #71
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

@ Sackett and Kurohane

Currently I am watching: Tonari No Kaibutsu Kun and Kamisama Hajimemashita. I'd rather not show it to her until it is over. That way I can see if it is indeed good.

I think I'll pass on Ano Hana. I had a hard time sticking to the anime so I gave up. Ai Yori Aoshi is not appropriate. I have seen it myself.

Otome Youkai Zakuro and Kobato are perfect. I'd like to try these two before the others, if you two don't mind. Thank you so much for working so hard to find good ones and even write down the details. I really appreciate the time you spent doing this. Thank you.

I am still open to other suggestions if other do have any.
Old 2012-11-04, 08:22   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Give Chihayafuru a try. It's about a girl who becomes obsessed with an obscure Japanese card game called karuta, forms a club at school to compete, and strives to become a professional player. (Yes, it has some similarities to Hikaru no Go.) It's very compelling.

I also think you should check out the current Kamisama Hajimemashita ("Kamisama Kiss"). The heroine is a spunky high-school girl who becomes the god of a local shrine. She acquires a bishie fox spirit as her familiar. It's cute and funny with nothing objectionable unless potential human/demon romance is a problem.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:09   Link #73
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Give Chihayafuru a try. It's about a girl who becomes obsessed with an obscure Japanese card game called karuta, forms a club at school to compete, and strives to become a professional player. (Yes, it has some similarities to Hikaru no Go.) It's very compelling.

I also think you should check out the current Kamisama Hajimemashita ("Kamisama Kiss"). The heroine is a spunky high-school girl who becomes the god of a local shrine. She acquires a bishie fox spirit as her familiar. It's cute and funny with nothing objectionable unless potential human/demon romance is a problem.
Hmm..Chihayafuru sounds good. I've never seen it before myself. Will i enjoy it too?

I am currently watching Kamisama Kiss.The demon-human relationship is not the problem. I'd like to watch it out completely just in case anything inappropriate might show up.

On another note, Shugo Chara was a success after just one episode. Whoo! I asked her to rate it 1-10 (1 being the worst and 10 being the best) She rated it as 10! I'm so happy.