Old 2009-11-21, 15:46   Link #121
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

ew...i don't like the episode Duel at all...it looks weird :X
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 16:04   Link #122
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...could someone explain to me why the Elites suddenlly have Jaws? How could the animators have missed the fact that Elites don't have jaws? And more random Japanese imagery everywhere...

And frankly, it wasn't even that well animated.

Behold the Waifu alien.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2009-11-21 at 16:54.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 17:03   Link #123
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

^yeah...it was butt ugly, the whole episode almost...i was in tears watching this...The only reason i kept watching was because i was hoping it'd get better :x...can't say i really liked the way it was animated, i must be missing the symbolism or w/e it's alluding to, but seriously, it looked like crap to me
Old 2009-11-21, 19:38   Link #124
Ansalem
Speaker

I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but how is this being aired? Is it on TV somewhere, or streamed, or X-Box live or something?
Old 2009-11-21, 20:17   Link #125
Vile

^Yeah it's streamed on Live, tried to watch it earlier today only to realize my Live subscription expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...could someone explain to me why the Elites suddenlly have Jaws? How could the animators have missed the fact that Elites don't have jaws? And more random Japanese imagery everywhere...

Behold the Waifu alien.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2...8837856119.jpg
Wait is that a snap from the new episode? Looks like the faun from Pan's Labyrinth crossed with Jesus.
Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 22:10   Link #126
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile View Post
^Yeah it's streamed on Live, tried to watch it earlier today only to realize my Live subscription expired.

Wait is that a snap from the new episode? Looks like the faun from Pan's Labyrinth crossed with Jesus.
Yeah that is a snap from the episode. It's ugly as hell. i hated this episode...a whole lot.
Old 2009-11-21, 23:38   Link #127
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

I'd actually had high hopes for this one, especially since the Halo backstory is pretty much the only thing about the franchise that I actually like.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing, but I'll hold off on judgment until I can actually watch it for myself in a few days.

EDIT: Wait, are the episodes only available for 24 hours? Shit...

EDIT2: Well, I watched it, and I can kinda understand the whole "Sangheili jaw" thing. When they give their battle cries or whatever, you can clearly see that they do have split mandibles. Now, as I've said before, I'm not a fan of artistic liberty. However, I can understand why the animators decided to use a more traditional approach when it comes to animating regular speech. The animators are used to animating human mouths, not aliens with four separate mandibles. Even in the games, whenever an Elite talks, the mandibles just sorta flail about instead of actually "forming" sounds. I'd rather that the animators ruin things this way than ruin things by trying to animate things "correctly" only to have it turn into a clusterfuck of failure. I mean, there were scenes where the jaws moved "normally"... and it looked just as bad as it does in the games.

And as for the art style itself... it wasn't really artsy so much as it was hard to look at.

EDIT 3: Wait a second... does anyone know how exactly the Elite hierarchy works? Like, is there a warrior subspecies and a non-warrior subspecies? I'm trying to figure out why the armored Elites talk "normally" and the non-armored Elites talk more like humans. Is it because of an actual difference in anatomy or just the way that the animators are doing things?

Most of my confusion stems from the fact that we know so little about the alien species' in the Halo universe. For example...
Spoiler:

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's a bit premature to nay-say the jaw animation simply because we don't know enough about the species. The art style, on the other hand...

EDIT 4:
Spoiler:

And for those of you that aren't well informed when it comes to the Halo backstory: Sangheili = Elites. Just thought I'd throw that out there to clear up any confusion. Also, I apologize for the quadruple edit. Stuff kept popping into my head and this beats quintuple posting.

Last edited by Nappy Hared Azn; 2009-11-22 at 00:48.
Nappy Hared Azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 01:45   Link #128
Vile

Looks like the full episode is up on Gametrailers for anyone who doesn't have Live, going to check it out myself tomorrow.
Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 09:41   Link #129
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but how is this being aired? Is it on TV somewhere, or streamed, or X-Box live or something?
It's being streamed off Xbox live, through this Halo related service called way point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
Basically, what I'm saying is that it's a bit premature to nay-say the jaw animation simply because we don't know enough about the species. The art style, on the other hand...
We know plenty about Elite mouth structure. Looking at the cutscenes it's pretty obvious the two lower mandibles can't form together into a pseudo jaw like that.

They only did this for one reason. To make the female elite more "moe".
Old 2009-11-24, 11:48   Link #130
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Behold the Waifu alien.
Actually she looks a little like the female from Avatar imo.

Trailer

Awww, I wish I had XBOX Live to see Halo. How long is it up on Gametrailers?
Old 2009-11-24, 13:44   Link #131
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Actually she looks a little like the female from Avatar imo.

Trailer
This is extremely bad. The Na'vi were intentionally conceived from the ground up as being human enough for humans to find attractive. Elites weren't.
Old 2009-11-24, 18:56   Link #132
orion

Quote:
This is extremely bad. The Na'vi were intentionally conceived from the ground up as being human enough for humans to find attractive. Elites weren't.
Think of it this way. Compare how she looks now to how she looks after the Elite got thru with her and you'll understand why her husband got upset. I'm sure her "treatment" will look better on the BD.

I liked both titles equally. Though after seeing the fan video with Samus in it, I kept expecting Samus to show up to save the day in The Babysitter.
Old 2009-11-24, 20:04   Link #133
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Think of it this way. Compare how she looks now to how she looks after the Elite got thru with her and you'll understand why her husband got upset.
What does this have to do with the character designers being stupid?

Quote:
I'm sure her "treatment" will look better on the BD.
What does that mean?

Quote:
I liked both titles equally.
Baby Sitter was just mediocre. This outright sucked IMHO.

Quote:
Though after seeing the fan video with Samus in it, I kept expecting Samus to show up to save the day in The Babysitter.
This is what makes me really sad.

A guy by himself was able to make an animated battle sequence that looked about three times better than what the professionals could come up with.
Old 2009-11-24, 20:19   Link #134
orion

Quote:
What does this have to do with the character designers being stupid?
I didn't say that the character designers were stupid. If you don't like it, then that's your opinion.

Quote:
What does that mean?
That what was done to her will prob look a lot more gorier on the BD than where I saw it imo. A reason for a nice pretty before picture of the guy's faithful wife. You see before and after shots and you sympathize with the protag. Nothing to do with being moe imo.

Quote:
A guy by himself was able to make an animated battle sequence that looked about three times better than what the professionals could come up with.
I doubt the guy made the battle sequences himself. It's prob like Red vs Blue where he used cut scenes and in play characters. It didn't look any better as they were different animation techniques used. Another forum was saying that particular Spartan wasn't from Halo but DOA. Duel was more stylized imo.
Old 2009-11-25, 17:04   Link #135
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I didn't say that the character designers were stupid. If you don't like it, then that's your opinion.
Aliens in Halo are supposed to look like aliens. They're not supposed to like humans with rubber foreheads.

But more to the point, what does his wife getting screwed up have to do with the character design?

Quote:
That what was done to her will prob look a lot more gorier on the BD than where I saw it imo.
What is the BD?
Quote:
I doubt the guy made the battle sequences himself. It's prob like Red vs Blue where he used cut scenes and in play characters.
Having played all of the Halo games, I can most definitely state that the animation in Haloid does not correspond with any Halo cut scenes or ingame animations.

He took 3d models and environments and made a movie out of them.
Quote:
It didn't look any better as they were different animation techniques used.
And by different animation techniques you mean one was barely animated?

Haloid was much smoother and energetic. Duel felt incredibly stiff.
Old 2009-11-26, 17:32   Link #136
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
That's like saying German Sheppard's aren't vertebrates. Helljumpers ARE Marines. They're a specialized unit within the UNSCMC.
Is a HALO (High Altitude Low Open) jumper the same as your basic infantryman? No, they are very different. Yes, the HALO jumpers area specialized unit with para-trooping, but you can't compare airborne infantry to regular infantry.
Old 2009-11-26, 18:22   Link #137
Yorae_paladin1

Spoiler:
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 20:05   Link #138
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
Spoiler:
^Naw he'd just get out br'd from a distance or bull true'd with a no scope sniper to the face
Old 2009-11-26, 23:15   Link #139
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Is a HALO (High Altitude Low Open) jumper the same as your basic infantryman?
No, but they're both soldiers.
Old 2009-11-27, 04:41   Link #140
Alchemist007
*Author

Just saw both The Duel and The Babysitter.

It's interesting to see the way the Japanese put their style into this but I think some things made it noticably 'off' in the Halo universe. I'm not talking animation but persona. A Spartan wouldn't be mute throughout the entire mission like that nor would an ODST be THAT emo about shit. But all in all it was enjoyable.
I recently saw a dialogueless graphic novel "Breaking Quarantine" by Tsutomu Nihei which showcases Johnson escaping the clutches of the Flood, that style seemed to me much more loyal to the way this American series is concerned (aside from the Japanese characters used for sound effects; "GAGIGIGIGI" goes the assault rifle lol).

The Duel was pretty cool once you get used to the style. Though the whole jaw thing was rather stupid, you see in the games that the Sangheili speak with all four mandibles. But damn if that Arbiter wasn't of '300 Spartan' level...taking out a whole company by himself. And the 'final boss' dude confirmed my thought throughout the vid that this was definitely a samurai style