AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-12-31, 14:35   Link #501
Viddern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherazade
Um, no they don't, it seems that you don't really understand the Japanese language. ................................... If you're going to use the romanized mecha names, may as well use Bandai America's official character name spellings.
Blast, beaten again!
While, for the first time here, but i've a feeling it'll happen alot.

Well, thakns for the little.

I still think the english actors butcher it all, even if it sthe way the naems are spelt, I like the Japanese voice actors pronounation more.
Viddern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 15:15   Link #502
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Actually Waltfeld can be spelled correctly in Japanese, but they chose not to.
Here is what it would be ヴァルトフェルド
Yes, but that's not the correct pronunciation. Katakana is phonetic, not literal.

Quote:
Blast, beaten again!
While, for the first time here, but i've a feeling it'll happen alot.

Well, thakns for the little.

I still think the english actors butcher it all, even if it sthe way the naems are spelt, I like the Japanese voice actors pronounation more.
Fair enough, I just felt you should know the background information. I think it's that you like the language better [which is fine], as I said, they have no choice but to pronounce it that way, otherwise they are no longer speaking their language.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 15:32   Link #503
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Quote:
Yes, but that's not the correct pronunciation. Katakana is phonetic, not literal.
Yes, but those phonetic sounds are being used to imitate sounds in a different language. By your logic, Andy's last name should be Baarutofeerudo.
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 16:15   Link #504
Epi
Otaku++

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Why do you even need to dodge? MS + METEOR can practically blast everything into oblivion before they can ever reach you, it has 77 missile launchers, 4 battleship class beam cannons, and two HUGE beam swords, it's a Mobile Fortress. It's the enemies that should be trying to dodge, not you. Not to mention it has big thrusters so the whole thing actually has increased speed. Give Yzak Freedom + METEOR and he'll pwn more than Kira. Maybe you need to see Gundam 0083 and the GP-03D vs. Neue Ziel, that's truly the clash of the Titans
I was being slightly sarcastic about the sillyness of using such a big thing in a melee battle. Not to mention the sillyness in the fact that Kira+Athrun keep 'barely dodging stuff' (you can clearly see stuff grazing their MS) without meteor, but can also do the same WITH meteor, when it's probably physically much harder to (esp with all the funnels, you can just shoot a 3d 'net' so that there's no space smaller than what a huge meteor would occupy).

Stupid internet cuts off all sarcasm and makes aforementioned statements sound like blatent fanboyism :/

And technically if they can make auto-aiming cannons nowadays which are damn hard to dodge, I'm sure 200 years in the future this won't be hard at all, esp with lasers that travel at the speed of light (or rail guns that go around 60000 mph), so dodging is a moot point if this weren't an anime
Epi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 16:29   Link #505
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge
Yes, but those phonetic sounds are being used to imitate sounds in a different language. By your logic, Andy's last name should be Baarutofeerudo.
That's not my logic, that's how katakana works, it's used for loan words and proper nouns only, not native Japanese words. So it is spelled phonetically, not necessarily the way that it is written in Roman characters. If the name is Waltfeld, to pronounce it correctly [keeping in mind that Waltfeld is GERMAN, thus the W has a "v" sound] it would have to be spelled "barutoferudo" in katankana. When spelled in Roman characters it is Waltfeld.
Old 2004-12-31, 16:54   Link #506
kuroitatsu
Über Alles

Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
well they dont always get the translation correct for the names also
kuroitatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 18:23   Link #507
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
well they dont always get the translation correct for the names also
Who is "they", the fansubbers? You're right, the don't always have the most correct translation for the names, but they try. Seed-Fansubs has changed their spelling to the correct Djibril. As for the US release of SEED, those name spellings are absolutely correct as they were given by Sunrise/Bandai Japan. If they aren't giving out the correct spelling who is?
Old 2004-12-31, 18:32   Link #508
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Quote:
That's not my logic, that's how katakana works, it's used for loan words and proper nouns only, not native Japanese words. So it is spelled phonetically, not necessarily the way that it is written in Roman characters. If the name is Waltfeld, to pronounce it correctly [keeping in mind that Waltfeld is GERMAN, thus the W has a "v" sound] it would have to be spelled "barutoferudo" in katankana. When spelled in Roman characters it is Waltfeld.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were arguing AGAINST that. My bad.
Pepperidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 19:58   Link #509
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Seed needs more mobile armors from hell.

The Zamzazar was a good start, but I'm hoping for genocide machines such as the Rafflesia.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:12   Link #510
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
Seed needs more mobile armors from hell.

The Zamzazar was a good start, but I'm hoping for genocide machines such as the Rafflesia.
As long as they don't use any crappy CG then I wouldn't mind.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:27   Link #511
DwArD
mAnIaC

Hmm....did anyone remember how shocked Talia was when she realised that THAT is a Mobile Armour? I'm starting to wonder if EA once created a terrifying MA....In GS, the Archangel crew was also pretty shocked and surprised when their radar detected MA, while they're fighting in Orb. I'm starting to wonder if EA did create some real powerful MA before. The Zamzazar or whatever was a good start. This shows that EA do have the capability to create their own unique MA that can outmatch PLANT's creation, the Mobile Suit. Well, unlucky for them, their new Zamzazar met Shinn. If not for Shinn, I'm sure the Zamzazar would have destroyed Minerva. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Zamzazar in the future.
Old 2004-12-31, 20:48   Link #512
SlugZilla
woofles

I hope they use more MA, instead of introducing more MS than we already have.
And I think they could have made the Zamzazar last a bit longer, it was so disappointing how Shinn kills it in one episode.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:58   Link #513
Raxtenko
Second Generation McJober

Send a message via MSN to Raxtenko
Quote:
I hope they use more MA, instead of introducing more MS than we already have.
And I think they could have made the Zamzazar last a bit longer, it was so disappointing how Shinn kills it in one episode.
I'm sure it will be back, in some incarnation or another. The seedverse has already had a mobile armour in the form of the Pergrande. The Zamzazar is EA's newest ass kicking Ma, and as the Pergrande was already really powerful, so I'd love to see how much the next one will rock.
Raxtenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 21:14   Link #514
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Even if Zamzazar is back, in more numbers, I'm sure this time Zamzazar will go down even more quickly. Just like when Strike first fight's with BuCUE was hard but after that, it was peice of cake!
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 21:48   Link #515
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
We need some Moebius MK II =)
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 21:54   Link #516
Rei_Ikari
More....Morrreee....weeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxtenko
I'm sure it will be back, in some incarnation or another. The seedverse has already had a mobile armour in the form of the Pergrande. The Zamzazar is EA's newest ass kicking Ma, and as the Pergrande was already really powerful, so I'd love to see how much the next one will rock.
lol.....i wouldn't describce the Zamzaza as "ass kicking".......from the way Shinn felled it it more likely had its ass kicked.......not that i didn't enjoy it.......
Die EA die
Rei_Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 00:47   Link #517
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Even if Zamzazar is back, in more numbers, I'm sure this time Zamzazar will go down even more quickly. Just like when Strike first fight's with BuCUE was hard but after that, it was peice of cake!
Yes, another symptom of poor writing...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 04:33   Link #518
DwArD
mAnIaC

BuCUE was only piloted by 1 coordinator, while Zamzazar was piloted by 3 Naturals. Now, this makes you wonder how well Kira will fare with Zamzazar. I mean, just how many Naturals are equivalent to one coordinator? Hmm....maybe ZAFT will create a new prototype MS that was being piloted by 3 coordinators. Wait, better don't....that will be too destructive.
Old 2005-01-01, 04:57   Link #519
Raxtenko
Second Generation McJober

Send a message via MSN to Raxtenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwArD
BuCUE was only piloted by 1 coordinator, while Zamzazar was piloted by 3 Naturals. Now, this makes you wonder how well Kira will fare with Zamzazar. I mean, just how many Naturals are equivalent to one coordinator? Hmm....maybe ZAFT will create a new prototype MS that was being piloted by 3 coordinators. Wait, better don't....that will be too destructive.
Well, if you want to break it down to numbers, back in Seed it apparently took an average of 5 Moebius MAs to take down one Ginn. Eh, wait nevermind that doesn't make sense...so uh I dunno, maybe the ratio is three to one?

Besides Ialso have my suspisions about those three pilots, like I mentioned before, they're wearing the pilot suits that all six druggies have worn, and not the standard EA one, kinda makes ya wonder...
Raxtenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 06:27   Link #520
Kuroi_Ikari
怒り

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi_Ikari Send a message via MSN to Kuroi_Ikari
Quote:
Actually Waltfeld can be spelled correctly in Japanese, but they chose not to.
Here is what it would be ヴァルトフェルド
That seems to be a habit. They also could've avoided a LOT of Saber/Sabre or Savior/Saviour confusion if they'd gone with セイヴァー instead of セイバー.

Quote:
[keeping in mind that Waltfeld is GERMAN, thus the W has a "v" sound] it would have to be spelled "barutoferudo" in katankana. When spelled in Roman characters it is Waltfeld.
If it's a "v" sound, why is his katakana "varutoferudo" wrong? They don't have to substitute b for v anymore, katakana has a set of va vi vu ve vo. ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ.
Kuroi_Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote