AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-01, 01:57   Link #201
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I feel your pain, but the media pulls this crap all the time. They take an isolated incident and make it look like it's an impending epidemic. You'll wear yourself out if you get this worked up every time this happens.
Old 2007-06-01, 02:49   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

News media around the world are known for misleading headlines --- they want to you stick around and look at the ads. Heck, even the Japanese newspapers are bad about sensationalizing crime. I've watched several Japanese papers over the years... they're really bad about reporting the same crime repeatedly but just modifying the story a bit. Makes crime look much worse than it is. Heck, our local tv stations in the States do that. I may see the same lurid "internet predator--not" story five times in a week and they recycle it all on weekends.
Old 2007-06-01, 02:56   Link #203
Tiberium Wolf

Media looks always for a story that gets audiences.

In Portugal at the moment is that missing kid. Maddie! I think other countries media are giving attention too...
Old 2007-06-01, 03:58   Link #204
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I'm not surprised anymore. Especially after living in Las Vegas for 3 years. Now, there you can see just how low anyone will sink.
Old 2007-06-01, 06:56   Link #205
Mr JeburtO

my house in coventry is near where she lived
Old 2007-06-01, 13:36   Link #206
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Killed for being a good person...ugh. How sad.
Old 2007-06-02, 03:22   Link #207
Honda Boy Techy
I has a Civic

No matter where the hell you are, never let your guard down. I live in a fair sized town in Tennessee but by no means is it large. Of course people associate the southeastern united states with Southern Hospitality and kindness. Crap happens here too. A guy was stalkin this lady and finally one day he went psycho and shot her front of the Belk department store and then killed himself. Some dude in the "ghetto" got shot in front of a liquor store and the guy that killed him said "he looked at me funny". Crap happens no matter where you are.

Hell I had my own incident one time. A truck followed me home once. I was drivin home from work and was behind this Tacoma. I was behind a while and was not tail gating. At one point this douche brake checks me but I wasn't even close enough for it to do anything. I didn't let off the gas. Well I get to a redlight. He's turnin left and I go straight. I turn into my neighbor hood and see this dude turn in too and cut his headlights off. I get home and see this guy pass my driveway. I ran in and grabbed my rifle, affixed the bayonet and ran to the front door with it. Guy caught an eye full of my Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 with a bayonet and never came back. I kept the bayonet in my car for a week.

I still wanna go over there and teach. This story doesn't scare me none. But then again I'm a fair sized 19 year old southern boy that can whomp some ass when he has to and I'll be a bigger 22-24 year old when I plan to go so I can't exactly end up in the same situation here. When I go, I'm gonna treat it just like livin here. I'll unlock my door only when I go through it (front or back door to wherever I'm living) and lock it back as soon as I get through.

If I have a car there, the keys will never be left in it when I'm not unless I park it in front of my place real quick so I can run in grab soemthin and come back. My kinda car is targeted for thefts a lot but not necessarily in this area. Many Civics like mine have engine swaps (mine does too) and are stolen to get those engines and other parts. My car is beat up plus it's in this area so I don't worry about leavin my driver door locked too much (the lock is busted on the outside) but If I lived over in murfreesboro or in Nashville my doors would be locked no matter what. My old car I went ahead and always locked them cause it had power locks and the both locks worked fine inside and out.

Always be careful. Even though nothing ever happens in my neighborhood (nice middle class neighborhood, SUBURBAN WHITE BOY HERE!!!! ) I still keep my guard up at night. Usually if I take the dog for a walk at night, I have a fair sized blade in my pocket or a heavy MagLight flash light.

Damn, I rambled again, didn't I? Bad habit.
Old 2007-06-06, 08:35   Link #208
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Boy Techy View Post
No matter where the hell you are, never let your guard down. I live in a fair sized town in Tennessee but by no means is it large. Of course people associate the southeastern united states with Southern Hospitality and kindness. Crap happens here too. A guy was stalkin this lady and finally one day he went psycho and shot her front of the Belk department store and then killed himself. Some dude in the "ghetto" got shot in front of a liquor store and the guy that killed him said "he looked at me funny". Crap happens no matter where you are.

Hell I had my own incident one time. A truck followed me home once. I was drivin home from work and was behind this Tacoma. I was behind a while and was not tail gating. At one point this douche brake checks me but I wasn't even close enough for it to do anything. I didn't let off the gas. Well I get to a redlight. He's turnin left and I go straight. I turn into my neighbor hood and see this dude turn in too and cut his headlights off. I get home and see this guy pass my driveway. I ran in and grabbed my rifle, affixed the bayonet and ran to the front door with it. Guy caught an eye full of my Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 with a bayonet and never came back. I kept the bayonet in my car for a week.

I still wanna go over there and teach. This story doesn't scare me none. But then again I'm a fair sized 19 year old southern boy that can whomp some ass when he has to and I'll be a bigger 22-24 year old when I plan to go so I can't exactly end up in the same situation here. When I go, I'm gonna treat it just like livin here. I'll unlock my door only when I go through it (front or back door to wherever I'm living) and lock it back as soon as I get through.

If I have a car there, the keys will never be left in it when I'm not unless I park it in front of my place real quick so I can run in grab soemthin and come back. My kinda car is targeted for thefts a lot but not necessarily in this area. Many Civics like mine have engine swaps (mine does too) and are stolen to get those engines and other parts. My car is beat up plus it's in this area so I don't worry about leavin my driver door locked too much (the lock is busted on the outside) but If I lived over in murfreesboro or in Nashville my doors would be locked no matter what. My old car I went ahead and always locked them cause it had power locks and the both locks worked fine inside and out.

Always be careful. Even though nothing ever happens in my neighborhood (nice middle class neighborhood, SUBURBAN WHITE BOY HERE!!!! ) I still keep my guard up at night. Usually if I take the dog for a walk at night, I have a fair sized blade in my pocket or a heavy MagLight flash light.

Damn, I rambled again, didn't I? Bad habit.
yah I know what you mean. Poeple are under some imprestion that small town life is safe compaired to city life. (I live in a small town. but used to live in a large town) but thats a lie the only diference their is is that the chances of your neighbor being a psyco is just higher in a city. but their are the same type of people EVERY where no mater where you go. and trust me its some times the quite ones that will be the crazyest.

and Honda boy I also keep one of my 3 bayonets under my car seat just in case im asaulted in my car. plus about 7 rifle and 3 shot guns one of which is next to the front door. I also have a 150 peace knife colection and some are fairly big. Im geting ready for after WWIII when its a post apocoliptic waiste land
Old 2007-06-12, 10:18   Link #209
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Never knew the crime rate in japan is low. Kinda took me by surprise. Is train molestation considered a crime? I always had the feeling it happened a lot.
Yes it is. But if you start putting people in jail for that our jail system will become overcrowded revolving-door system like I hear it is in the US. So it's more like a 50,000 yen fine (if you get caught) and they are let go on the spot.
Old 2007-07-03, 21:53   Link #210
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

BBC's Alan Johnston released from captivity

Great news!

BBC's Gaza correspondent released

Quote:
BBC's Gaza correspondent released
Wednesday, 4 July 2007, 02:31 GMT

BBC correspondent Alan Johnston has been released by kidnappers in Gaza after nearly four months in captivity.

He said it was "fantastic" to be free after an "appalling experience". TV footage showed Mr Johnston, 45, leaving a building accompanied by armed men.

Calls were made for his release in rallies worldwide and in an online petition signed by some 200,000 people. The journalist was handed over to officials of the Hamas administration in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Gunmen from the Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement overran Gaza last month, expelling their rivals from the Fatah faction. Hamas' military wing had said it would spare no effort to secure the BBC reporter's release. A previously little-known militant group, the Army of Islam, claimed it was holding Mr Johnston and had released videos demanding the release of Muslim prisoners in British custody.
Old 2007-07-03, 22:21   Link #211
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The only word that comes to mind right now: "Wow!"

I really never thought we were going to see this day.
Old 2007-07-04, 02:24   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Long long f0cking overdue.... that splinter group were idiots to have taken one of Palestine's best ways to get their side of the story out.

Here's to Johnston's well-deserved rest and recuperation.
Old 2007-07-04, 02:30   Link #213
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
What reporters do for their job ^_^. I'm glad he's bad safe and sound.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-07-04, 13:17   Link #214
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Was quite pleasantly surprised this morning when I heard that Johnston was freed and in one-piece against all odds. Of all the western journalists, he's been the only one staying in Gaza for a long time, and hence is able to report about the Palestinians' plight from their perspective.

A great publicity coup for Hamas as well after they wrestled control of Gaza from the Fatah party. With full control of the territory, they were able to apply pressure on that splinter group, which sped up Jonston's release.
Old 2007-07-04, 13:31   Link #215
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Excellent news. In the midst of high and wired time the British are going through, this kind of news are moral booster.
Old 2007-07-05, 09:03   Link #216
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Im glad the guy's okay, however i still have a tiny feeling that there was more going ont han met the eye, Hamas surely got a publicity stunt from this
Old 2007-07-05, 09:51   Link #217
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well, what's going on is a power struggle between Hamas and the Fatah Movement, and naturally, Hamas is going to milk this event for everything it's worth to improve their image in the international community, particularly the Quartet.

That is but a small part of the sad politics of a 60-year-old problem. Rather than dwell on such depressing matters, let us simply rejoice in the fact that Alan got home safe and sound.
Old 2007-08-17, 17:04   Link #218
Tiberium Wolf

Mine rescue saga

Ahhh.. It's been news in CNN for days. 6 miners missing and they can't find them. Progress seems sooooo slow to drill holes to check the tunnels. And now 3 rescuers died in underground efforts in which one was a federal mine safety officer. Man this is getting lame.
Old 2007-08-18, 11:30   Link #219
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Ahhh.. It's been news in CNN for days. 6 miners missing and they can't find them. Progress seems sooooo slow to drill holes to check the tunnels. And now 3 rescuers died in underground efforts in which one was a federal mine safety officer. Man this is getting lame.
No need to be insensitive about this. I mean just because the media is butchering this tragic event doesn't mean you can blame the miners for offering bad entertainment. (at least that is how I understand your comment)
They are people, have family... they risk their lives in a rescue operation. I really see no need to be sarcastic. Though I side with you on one thing... I would have stopped the rescue work in the mines after the first of the many small incidents that lead to the final major accident. Instead I'ld ordered more drilling equipement for more and bigger drilling holes.
Old 2007-08-18, 11:38   Link #220
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Earthquake in Peru.

7.9 magnitude earthquake in the city of Pisco, Peru, which happened last Wednesday. As of today, Argentinian newspapers tell of more than 550 deaths and a total of 90 000 affected, with 16 000 demolished buildings.

It's really, really sad.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international