AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-24, 06:29   Link #161
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

30 years later, that question was still not answered. As long as Kaoru Kurimoto is still motivated to write and tell her saga, we are not going to have a clear answer anytime soon.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 06:56   Link #162
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Have you never stopped to think that it's his actually head, and not a mask?
Well, the characters themselves seems to refer it as a mask. I guess we will never know especially for a fantasy story where these things can basically go anywhere, including him being some sort of a demon.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 07:18   Link #163
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Well, the characters themselves seems to refer it as a mask.
That doesn't mean anything. That's just them jumping to the easiest to believe conclusion.
Old 2009-04-24, 07:21   Link #164
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

I must say that I liked what the VA of Ishtvan did for the character. I was not really expecting it from the man who was Uncle Takeru in Minami-ke.
Old 2009-04-24, 08:01   Link #165
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Episode two channeled off House of Atreus vibes, with Rinda (or is it Linda?) being a Cassandra right to no one believing her prophecy. Hah. I'm not sure what I think of that yet, though I like Rinda so far. Her pompous and regal air probably helped.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:50   Link #166
MafiaSoldier
Member of the Anime Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Have you never stopped to think that it's his actually head, and not a mask?
He mentioned in the first episode that it was a mask, but I bet somehow it has fuzed itself onto his head and there is going to have to be something he will have to do or complete to remove it. I plan on watching episode 2 subbed today, so hopefully between episodes 2-5 they will come up with an explination as to why it wont come off. This episode is greatness personified so far, even in it's raw state I am enjoying it, hopefully it keeps up the good work!
MafiaSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:39   Link #167
signorRossi

This one really seems to have potential (gut feeling ), and it's the only new show I will follow so far it seems. Hopefully i won't get disenchanted too fast...
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 11:08   Link #168
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
It's a pity there's hardly any information out there (in English, that is) about the Guin Saga novels. Can those familiar with the series share a little information about it? Like, say, how much time passes between those 100-ish novels? Do they tell a linear story, or do they occasionally skip from perspective to perspective? Do they cover different events, over different eras, in the same world (like the Suikoden games, for example)? Do the main characters change?

And, uh ... I really must ask ... does Guin ever lose the mask?
Without getting into spoilers....
About a generation worth of years over the 145 novels. (125 volumes of the main story, and 20 side stories)
As the story progress, many of these characters gets married, and have children. There's like over a thousand named characters, btw.
Although it mostly focus on Guin, perspective does shift from nation to nation. There are times when Guin wouldn't appear for dozens of volumes.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:29   Link #169
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
About a generation worth of years over the 145 novels. (125 volumes of the main story, and 20 side stories)
As the story progress, many of these characters gets married, and have children. There's like over a thousand named characters, btw.
Although it mostly focus on Guin, perspective does shift from nation to nation. There are times when Guin wouldn't appear for dozens of volumes.
You are making me sadder that the translations in France were discontinued.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:47   Link #170
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You are making me sadder that the translations in France were discontinued.
At least we have the anime which allows us to experience the story. Sure it's not the original format, though it's better then nothing.
Old 2009-04-24, 19:27   Link #171
SnowSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Episode two channeled off House of Atreus vibes, with Rinda (or is it Linda?) being a Cassandra right to no one believing her prophecy. Hah. I'm not sure what I think of that yet, though I like Rinda so far. Her pompous and regal air probably helped.
So who is Agamenon? :P Or are you referring to an earlier generation? Cassendras was in Troy, so I assumed you meant that generation. Of course, Remus always alludes to the story of Romulous and Remus, the two founders of the city of Rome.

Speaking of allusions, there are allusion aplenty in this serie. Someone (http://kanonvocalise.wordpress.com/2...-road-tv-size/) noticed that the latin in the beginning of the ED (Benedictus qui venit In nomine Domini, Hosanna in excelsis) is originally from the book of Matthews. This individual proposed that the phrase alludes to the strength to walk into a difficult situation where one knows will entail great suffering but will also bring some good. I must say that is similar to the events in episode 3. Just some food for thought. Kudos for AnimeYoshi for translating the latin phrase though!
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 02:13   Link #172
silverwolf0

I saw the trailer first and was about to close it after 30 seconds because it looked like another lame japanese made fantasy anime with bland jyo-oh-sei looking characters thrown in. Then I saw the macho-man with the leopard head and thought EYE-CANDY. The rest of the trailer was less cheesy than the first part.

I like the animation and story so far. The fight scenes are epic and have a lot of weight and punch to them, real heavy hitters. Lovely backgrounds. Generic looking anime characters, but it could be a lot worse and cartoony like Utawarerumono. I am not a fan of Nobuo Uematsu's music aside from some catchy FF7 themes, but it works well. The rising heroic scores can get cheesy too, but it fits the old-fashioned non-emo storytelling decently enough. Not completely sold on Guin's voice, but it's not bad. Hate it when amnesic characters repeat themselves constantly, asking about who or what they are and from where, and it sounds especially grating in Japanese. I hope that ever present annoying pet monkey with annoying lolita voice drowns in the river.

I have to pause frequently to marvel at the leopard man anthro physique. Smexy. Those leopard eyes are also piercing when the camera zooms in and Guin is completely focused.

I foresee an Fchan post about this sometime soon. Or is there one already?
silverwolf0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 03:10   Link #173
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, I can't say it looks good on him (a leopard of all things??)...but at least the mouth moves when he talks...

I for one would love spoilers...there's no way the anime will cover even a tenth of the content of the novels....and as long as you put it in spoiler tags I'm sure it'll be fine.

In episode 3....
Spoiler for ??:
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 04:12   Link #174
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post

In episode 3....
Spoiler for ??:
The curse of level 1 bosses

The explanation about the Black Count was a little more elaborate than that in the book. Episode 4 is basically the beginning of the second book
Old 2009-04-25, 04:40   Link #175
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
What's the name of the blonde lady who appeared in the preview to ep 4?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 05:27   Link #176
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
What's the name of the blonde lady who appeared in the preview to ep 4?
General Amnelys. The books does get good when she appears
Old 2009-04-25, 08:28   Link #177
SnowSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
In episode 3....
Spoiler for ??:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-25, 10:05   Link #178
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Hmm, Mai Nakahara voicing Rinda/Linda. When you positively need someone to play the troubled sister in a dominating sibling relationship, she's the one to call .

Just some thoughts on the show.

Something about the ED and the theme of Destiny that the characters go through. The twins, Guin and Ishtvan represent the different ways of dealing with being an agent of change. The twins are proverbial victims, hunted for something they may not even have, and having nothing more than pride to back them up when confronted.

Ishtvan runs away. He looks to be very good at it. Probably gives him the illusion of freedom while doing it. Thing is, in the struggle against inevitable, the inevitable things just keeps happening till it gets dealt with. I get that this guy isn't happy no matter what he does

And Guin? Sometimes destiny required a big hammer to get things done That and be willing to beat the crap out of things for that to happen. Thus far, Guin's big question is what his face really looks like, not why he has to drive 'other' people's faces into a wall. In a way, he's probably the most 'free' of the characters since he has not questioned the road he is currently on. With his amnesia, any road is just as good. Only his instinct, moral compass and battle training would provide him the choice of what to do or where to go.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:44   Link #179
SnowSong

Good tie in to the lyric! Interesting mix of destiny and self determination though. Often, one think of self determination (follow MY road, my way or the highway fate!) as being the opposite of fate, where one is lead to an endpoint. However, one can also see fate as the big picture that occurs because the character choose one way or the other, but it is determined before hand which way they will choose. Sort of like looking back in history and knowing Ceasar's choice to cross the Rubicon river will lead to the Roman Empire, but Ceasar still had self determination to choose whether to invade or not.

tl;dr version: Guin Saga's ED is awesome, haxor.
Old 2009-04-25, 12:01   Link #180
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSong View Post
Good tie in to the lyric! Interesting mix of destiny and self determination though. Often, one think of self determination (follow MY road, my way or the highway fate!) as being the opposite of fate, where one is lead to an endpoint. However, one can also see fate as the big picture that occurs because the character choose one way or the other, but it is determined before hand which way they will choose. Sort of like looking back in history and knowing Ceasar's choice to cross the Rubicon river will lead to the Roman Empire, but Ceasar still had self determination to choose whether to invade or not.

tl;dr version: Guin Saga's ED is awesome, haxor.
The ED is awesome! The choice of the music + lyrics (both of which are probably quite familiar to a lot of people) was very well thought out.

The other music during the battles and etc. isn't bad either.

Quote:
General Amnelys. The books does get good when she appears
I'm kind of partial to Rinne myself...soft spot for white-haired girls
Is there any romance in the story anyway?
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, satelight