AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-07, 03:08   Link #241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
About the "Chaged into Immortal Object" thing:

Let's face it, in the end the game was supposed to be made by a Japanese programmer who had a dream of making a perfect fantasy world. Do you really expect such a person to have perfect English and thus write everything perfectly?
I expect him to be able to read and write papers in English.

OTOH, typos happen.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:09   Link #242
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Let's face it, in the end the game was supposed to be made by a Japanese programmer who had a dream of making a perfect fantasy world. Do you really expect such a person to have perfect English and thus write everything perfectly? I mean really, given the large amounts of typos you can see in any sort of game, just why are people screaming about "****ed up" and such? I can understand the complaining about the sentence making it ambiguous to understand what it was trying to say, but to attack the incorrect English itself seems like an over-sensitive reaction that is almost at a hypocritical/ignorant level.
Actually, no disrespect intended all to the point of what you're saying, but I find that is a rather hilarious justification for the anime staff. Animation Director: "Mistake? No, we didn't make a mistake. That's the way the game was programmed!" (Wait, the game doesn't really exist... )

I think people just saw it as a careless animator and QC miss... but yeah, given that it's Engrish, it's not so surprising or uncommon. It's been done before and it'll be done again. Hopefully someone mentions it to them and they can fix it on the Blu-Rays.

(And yes, I do think it made it ambiguous. You can think in the context that he was granting Asuna immortality, but she subsequently disappears implying she's dead -- even though she doesn't really die. But I think what was intended was that he disabled the immortality status on himself (implied by the indicator turning red, meaning "now mortal"), which he said previously he was going to do for their fight. The juxtaposition of the events along with the Engrish mean that it can be taken either way and adds some confusion to a sequence of events that is already drawing some ire for not being very clearly explained.)
Old 2012-10-07, 03:11   Link #243
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Just watched the 14th episode... At the ending, when Kirito and Asuna were at the heaven of the SAO world, tears were in my eyes. I was happy to see that they could meet after they died to say a final farewell when all of the SAO world disappeared, but... when Kirito woke up at the hospital, all weak and when... the first thing he had done is to look for Asuna... I've started to cry... Call me sentimental and all, but this was the ending I've wanted to see. They could even end the anime here, there's no better ending than this.
I cried like a slapped red headed step child!

For me that Kirito was able to produce a last move to try to not make his death a waste was for Asuna. Dragging himself out of bed even if his body physically shouldn't' be able to do it, was all part of the same parcel.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:13   Link #244
Sumeragi
Banned

The point is even a person like myself who usually reads and writes in English make a lot of grammatical mistakes based on thinking in Japanese/Korean, and when you're also someone who has to look over lines and lines of coding and scripts, it is very easy to make and miss mistakes. The mistake itself shouldn't be big enough an issue for people to be complaining about the typo/engrish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Actually, no disrespect intended all to the point of what you're saying, but I find that is a rather hilarious justification for the anime staff. Animation Director: "Mistake? No, we didn't make a mistake. That's the way the game was programmed!" (Wait, the game doesn't really exist... )
I'm actually hoping they keep at least the "Chaged" part. That's a perfect example of how nothing is perfect, meaning not even Kayaba's perfect world was perfect in what was being written. Pretty symbolic and ironic, no?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:17   Link #245
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
About the "Chaged into Immortal Object" thing:

Let's face it, in the end the game was supposed to be made by a Japanese programmer who had a dream of making a perfect fantasy world. Do you really expect such a person to have perfect English and thus write everything perfectly? I mean really, given the large amounts of typos you can see in any sort of game, just why are people screaming about "****ed up" and such? I can understand the complaining about the sentence making it ambiguous to understand what it was trying to say, but to attack the incorrect English itself seems like an over-sensitive reaction that is almost at a hypocritical/ignorant level.
Or they will fix it in the Blu-Ray version. We would just have to wait and see.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:27   Link #246
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I did find the whole 'chaged into immortal object' thing pretty funny though. Obviously the meaning was still clear with the box changing color, but just funny. Good old Engrish at its best .
Old 2012-10-07, 03:30   Link #247
Jerseykid

Why do you think Kirito didn't win the duel in the same way he would have won in the first duel had Kayaba not had his obvious advantages?

Besides it not making for more interesting plot I guess
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:57   Link #248
Alucard24

Supposing that Asuna and Kirito didn't really die, they should be able to log-off like every other players right ?

What happen if they didn't since the SAO has been completey deleted ?
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 04:01   Link #249
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
I'm actually hoping they keep at least the "Chaged" part. That's a perfect example of how nothing is perfect, meaning not even Kayaba's perfect world was perfect in what was being written. Pretty symbolic and ironic, no?
After reading your post, I ended up thinking Kayaba is a bit of a dumb arse.

The ending of his game involves people not finding out who he is until closer to the end. I would have thought he could have invested a little more time hacking some of the skills rather then making himself an immortal object!

For example battle healing that heals more and more as his HP goes to 0, it goes to infinity. People shouldn't notice unless he is in a really poo poo situation.

Armour that increases as his HP goes down, combine that with hacked battle healing and he should be safe.

But if he really is that much of a chicken, then at least go immortal if he is about to get 0 hp!
Old 2012-10-07, 04:10   Link #250
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
Supposing that Asuna and Kirito didn't really die, they should be able to log-off like every other players right ?

What happen if they didn't since the SAO has been completey deleted ?
Well, assuming you take literally what we were shown here, Kirito was automatically logged out when the deletion of SAO was completed. We can presume, since they both "beat the game" (per Kayaba) that Asuna was logged-out of SAO as well (since, well, there is no SAO anymore).
Old 2012-10-07, 04:12   Link #251
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just watched the sub... the boss fight with the "centipede" was quite fast yet heroic.... I took my breath away... but still.. it was rush...

Kirito figuring Heathcliff as Kayaba was a bit unrealistic for me... again it was forced in my opinion...

What shocked me the boss is how both Kirito and Asuna were able to regain their ability to move (for Asuna) and return to fight... Reminds me completely of Neo in Matrix..

I have mixed feelings the ending... My head hurts just watching it... not that its not its bad... its more of the feelings that were battling inside my head... love, shock, hate, pity... Poor Kirito has to wake up with these feelings as well...

Can't wait for the next episode...

Note: Kirito was not catheterized.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 04:27   Link #252
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

So it turns out not even Kayaba could resist Kirito's charm, like almost every other character introduced in the past 13 episodes (you could really tell he loved that 'K' sound every time he said "Kirito-kun"), and the most likely reason he let Kirito and Asuna go for a while was to participate in a little voyeurism.
Not a bad plot twist.

Wait, what show am I watching again?
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 04:34   Link #253
Nitial

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I cried like a slapped red headed step child!

For me that Kirito was able to produce a last move to try to not make his death a waste was for Asuna. Dragging himself out of bed even if his body physically shouldn't' be able to do it, was all part of the same parcel.
Volume 1 ended exactly like that, actually.
Nitial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 04:49   Link #254
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Just watched the 14th episode... At the ending, when Kirito and Asuna were at the heaven of the SAO world, tears were in my eyes. I was happy to see that they could meet after they died to say a final farewell when all of the SAO world disappeared, but... when Kirito woke up at the hospital, all weak and when... the first thing he had done is to look for Asuna... I've started to cry... Call me sentimental and all, but this was the ending I've wanted to see. They could even end the anime here, there's no better ending than this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, if I'm being totally honest, this is really a lot of it for me too. I'm way too sentimental for my own good, and get teary-eyed easily when watching emotional scenes in anime. This episode was definitely no exception. To me, the way they portrayed the bond between the couple was beautiful and priceless, and the ending was really powerful. I can understand in my head that maybe I should be more upset about some of the things people are complaining about (and I do think about it, obviously), but the problem is that I'm way too sappy...
I agree about that scene being so emotional. In fact I think it's one of the most emotional scenes I've seen in an anime. The relationship between Kirito and Asuna is portrayed more realistic than most other anime couples, which is why it is quite heartbreaking.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 04:53   Link #255
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I knew something was fishy about Heathcliff, but I'd rather see him leading Laughing Coffin than be a mobile Boss :O Speaking of bosses, the reaper's fight should have finished in ep.13, the beginning was...well, less heated than I had expected. Nice revelations all around, I think Kayaba gave Kirito a chance to fight instantly because of the number of losses and the remaining floors...after all, he wanted Kirito to challenge him sometime anyway. Love the paralysis hax )

The final fight was okay-ish, but why the hell did Kirito go for a skillshot when he KNEW that Heathcliff would parry and counter them all? Kinda wtf but whatever...the rest was awesome, from double penetration death to limbo time to hospital wake-up. Very emotional last in-game moments with Asuna, I hope he finds her irl too! (but wait a couple of years kids, underage sex is probably illegal)

Now, here's the part where I thought the anime was over, because...you know, they beat the game? What's next, Kirito opening a private server of SAO and going crazy from his past experience? I suppose next week's episode will answer that

P.S: Kayaba Akihiko is 100% crazy and definitely the biggest troll ever. "Why did you make this into a death game?" - I don't remember, lawls.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:02   Link #256
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
After reading your post, I ended up thinking Kayaba is a bit of a dumb arse.

The ending of his game involves people not finding out who he is until closer to the end. I would have thought he could have invested a little more time hacking some of the skills rather then making himself an immortal object!

For example battle healing that heals more and more as his HP goes to 0, it goes to infinity. People shouldn't notice unless he is in a really poo poo situation.

Armour that increases as his HP goes down, combine that with hacked battle healing and he should be safe.

But if he really is that much of a chicken, then at least go immortal if he is about to get 0 hp!
If everything went according to plan, the strongest player (Kayaba) would have become the ultimate boss.
He wanted to become the strongest player, if he barely makes it out alive in boss battles, his strength would only be on par with other raid members.
Basically, by staying above 50% with [Immortal Object], he can accomplish a feat no other player in SAO could. Together with his unique skill, he created his own legend as the strongest player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Why do you think Kirito didn't win the duel in the same way he would have won in the first duel had Kayaba not had his obvious advantages?

Besides it not making for more interesting plot I guess
He's fighting against the person who designed all his [Dual Blades] skill.
In a kill or be killed situation, would you trust your own judgement or would you trust a sword skill, which follows a set movement your opponent already knows?
Old 2012-10-07, 05:07   Link #257
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

well... it's not as awesome as previous episode...

that's why I give 9/10 score...
some flaws I can list are : they don't really continue Skull Reaper's battle... they shorten it and it makes Skull Reaper wasn't epic anymore... (although killing 14 players already scary enough)
last one is, battle against Kayaba Akihiko is also too short... at least add some minutes in fight...

epic scene : when Asuna killed in front of Kirito... and Kirito kill Akihiko in last moment....
Kayaba Akihiko's dialogue is also good.... and Asuna-Kirito's lovely moment when they mention their name and age...

omg... if only I don't read the spoiler, I'll obviously cry because I think it's already the end....

so far.... the adaptation is very perfect... and can't wait for new op, new ed, and new arc
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:12   Link #258
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I can't believe I read all 13 pages of this thread. I'm also surprised by the ridiculously low amount of deletions and mod edits.

That being said, I loved this episode. All kinds of things that I didn't expect. Not the least that the game would already end right here and now, with the story still continuing beyond it.

Considering the "surpassing the system" moments. Isn't the game and its rules constantly slightly changing due to the AI that's monitoring it? It seems to me like the AI got rather whimsical in the end and allowed certain characters to gain some "Willpower" effects. It has been established already that the game is capable of monitoring the player's emotional state.

This is just speculation, but I didn't have to think for days to think up possible explanations. They just came to me naturally.

Also, props to the guys who figured out Heathcliff was Kayaba. I know people have mentioned the possibility earlier on, but I didn't believe them. I do not mind having been wrong about it though.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:16   Link #259
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Kayaba Akihiko's dialogue is also good....
I thought it was the mad scientist of Steins; Gate talking....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 05:20   Link #260
ninetail1989
Dreamer

Will they change the name of the anime in the second arc?I mean no more SAO already afterall
..??it can't still be named sword art online when it's completely
Different stuff.
ninetail1989 is offline   Reply With Quote