AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-17, 16:16   Link #61
JRendell
Manga Addict

Episode 2;

Cheeky smile! Sums up the episode for me. Never really took notice of it during my first watch-through.
Old 2011-01-18, 00:05   Link #62
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

My favorite part has to be Taiga's final line about him calling her Taiga. It's a great line, awesome scene, and Kugimiya is does perfect saying it.
Old 2011-01-18, 16:44   Link #63
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Comedy and Drama was well balanced, I really enjoyed the testimony scene xD. Also seeing Taiga and Ryuji's plan fail soo bad during the gym was rather amusing too after they seemed to think it was perfect .

And I really didn't realize how Adorable Taiga was during the confession scene the first time I watched this, especially when she started talking about Ryuji .
MAL
Old 2011-01-19, 05:04   Link #64
Taufiq91

Episode 2 is heartwarming as hell.

Even the music made me feel in touch with the characters. Taiga's confession towards Ryuuji is just perfect and it captures her tsundereness perfectly.
Old 2011-01-19, 16:51   Link #65
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Episode 2: Ryuuji and Taiga

While the episode serves as an introduction to the character is the ep. 2 the one that kick the plot into motion. It also showed the true meaning of Ryuuji and Taiga's relationship, setting them up as nakama, also helps to give a good glimpse at Minori and Kitamura's true personalities(the former with her whimsical antics and the latter with his obfuscating blockheadness).

Taiga really susprises me in this chapter, her evolution starts very quickly, while most tsundere keep their feelings hidden for at least half a season Taiga is able to confess her own feeling to Kitamura right on Ch. 2, unfurtunately for her she also show how clumsy she is by not being able to properly tell her feeling to him(i think that Kitamura set up a verbal trap and Taiga falls totally into it xDU), she also shows her own way to show corncern and kindnes ...by teorririzing the class into dismissing the fake rumors abut her and Ryuuji xD. Ok, she's kind of a little sociophat by this point but to her credit is noted that she really appreciates what Ryuuji's is doing for her(it's the main reason of her confession failure xDU) and cares for the posible problems she gan get him into. Also there's a bit confusing bits when she apparently is happy about receiving Ryuuji's attention, the first is when she's greatefull with Ryuuji for lying about her cookies to make her feel better, the second is when she shows happines about Ryuuji saying her name at the end of the episode, my guess is that she's probably curious at beast by that point.

About Ryuuji well, the guy demonstrates to have balls, not in a Badass kind of way but more in how he aproaches and support Taiga despite her warnings and rude behavior unkowingly earning some respect from her, the way he supports Taiga is interesting because he's not only a comforting guy to her but a true nakama, helping her to overcome her troubles even if that means being rude or defiant to the Palmtop Tiger, obvyously his father complex have something to do with it, as he himself says when describing Taiga she tries too hard to be rude that end being clumsy and he feel the need to help her. Ryuuji's feelings to Taiga by this point are less platonic and more fraternal than Taiga's. however, while i'll thinked he views her as a little sis or something simila, that changes after i hear his speech about being a Dragon, by the end of the episode he recognizes Taiga's strenght abouve her clumsiness and views him as her equal, to me this is a pivotal moment that set up the rest of the series.

My favourite moents of this episode are hard to choose, i love Taiga's various expressions during this episode and the are hilarious bits("hey hey hey hey! pass pass pass...") and heartwarming moments(the entire cookie plot, from when Taiga trips on the class kitchen to the scene at the pole), but if i must select these are the winners:

- The sports class(never heared Rie Kugimiya use such a funny pass call xDU).
- Minorin and Kitamura's rooftop scene(Kitamura is a really smart and humble guy bit i find his way of helping his friends a bit cruel sometimes, no wonder why he and Ami are childhood friends and yeah ...minorin is weeeeird xD).
- The "postlamp" scene(Heartwarming as hell, nothing close people more than kicking a postlamp togheter. It's a good way to spent quality time with that special person xD).
- Taiga's rampage against the class and her subsequent confession(really if i didn't know this is only the 2nd chapter i will swear that i'm watching a season finale, Taiga descisively fight to clear Ryuuji's reputation and make her mind to finally confess her love to the guy she likes. Somebody help me to find a word that describes the heartwarming verion of EPICNESS!).

Well, Toradora quickly reach it's first climax and set up thing for a numerous adventures, the next chapter will reaturn to amore calm pacing but still will have good stuff to coment about so, we'll see on Chapter 3: Your Song.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Featured Excerpt:

Opening Theme
PRE-PARADE

"Scenes with the five main characters. Taiga is the main heroine, but she doesn't show a smile."

I sure didn't notice that.
Oh yeah, forgot to comment about that, this is the episode who introduces the OP song, i already talked about it's rythm and lyrics so we can ump that part. Visually the opening is kind of interesting i didn't see much animes that use that dinamic of colors and showing names in script letters(like a mix between Haruhi and Baccano! xD) like i sayed the song fits well the theme of the first ahlf of the series and the images also help us with it(being the part of the series where the group of MC spent most of the time togheter or interacting between them. Their main traits are voered by the opening so for now it's all good xD.

Quote:
Novel Excerpt:

As for this week's novel excerpt, I'm going with a little part in the family restaurant/diner they kept out. Again, I'm not sure if they show this later on, so yeah.
Spoiler for Light Novel - Vol. 1:
Now you're really starting to provoke me into read the novels, that bit is also amusing(also it should be really funny to hear Taiga burst out in laughter xD), shame that time wasn't allowed for this scene to be animted, it help a lot to set Ryuuji's character xD.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-01-19 at 17:07.
Old 2011-01-20, 06:58   Link #66
Taufiq91

it had to be done.....

Old 2011-01-20, 11:32   Link #67
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

who on earth is that girl xD?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-01-20, 11:50   Link #68
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi
who on earth is that girl xD?
Rose from Dragon Crisis. Notable for being voiced by Rie Kugimiya (Without the tsun). Also hilarious because the protagonist in that show is also named Ryuuji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91
it had to be done.....
Agreed. It was only a matter of time.

I miss Toradora, so I'll join in on this rewatch.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2011-01-21, 18:49   Link #69
BarryW

Episode 2

Even as early as this we can see Ryujii and Taiga are bonding. Because of reading the subs I think I missed a lot of the nuances of the scenes, like how often Ryujii tugs at his forelock because of his eyes. Taiga's secret feelings of joy at Ryujiii's calling her by her given name and so much more obvious as you look at the emotion on her face. Everyone knows how Ryujii and Taiga really feel about each other except themselves. Tagia is such a sympathetic character even at this stage because you can see that the tsun part of her character is just a hollow shell to protect the vulnerable dere inside. The key to their relationship is that each provides the what the other one needs. Ryujii needs to have someone to care for, Taiga needs someone to care for her.

I didn't care much for ikko-chan the first couple of times I watched this. Watching Ryujii yell at Taiga because she ate so much rice and then having Ikko-chan assume he was yelling at her (sumimasen!) cracked me up this time. That is what has really made this a special show for me. Each time I watch it I find something new.
Old 2011-01-21, 21:24   Link #70
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME OF THIS

*goes to rummage around for his Toradora~*
Old 2011-01-22, 00:45   Link #71
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME OF THIS

*goes to rummage around for his Toradora~*
I thought everyone got info of this, I was given a private message along with other people telling me about the Re-Watch, but hard find the time to watch it. Now I have some free time to spare
Old 2011-01-23, 00:16   Link #72
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 3 - Your Song

Episode Review
Given we had 95% original material, this was still a really great episode. We learned more about our characters, specifically Minorin. Oh, we got our legendary Taiga forced happy face, or whatever you call it, as well. Still, such a good episode. It still had the same feeling and warmth as the previous episodes too. Sometimes you can tell when it gets anime original (Claymore, Soul Eater) but here... it's tricky to tell. The only thing taken from the novel was Minorin working at the family restaurant, that's all.

One more episode to Ami's introduction... cannot wait.

DVD Translation
Our Kugimiya "shut up, shut up, shut up" in the beginning was reduced to "zip it" but her later ones were mostly left in tact. Still a solid job though. Wish more releases were like this (namely my Blood+... dubtitles, the horror).

Artbook Excerpt
"A nosebleed just means your heart is sweating."
The phrase actually comes from a drama's opening theme song, but normally, girls don't say this when they have a nosebleed.

Featured Interview Excerpt
HORIE Yui as KUSHIEDA Minori
>>Please tell us your first impression of Minori and how you felt after playing the role.
"When I saw the character at the audition I really wanted to play as her. I thought she was so energetic and eternally cheerful. When recording started, I worked with the recording director and other staff members to create Minori. They would say how she's like this and how she should be, but some of the suggestions kind of sounded like a middle-aged man (laughs). It's a character type rarely seen in anime, but there are girls like her in the real world and Minori is like the ultimate version of them. She tries out anything if she has the chance, and it's after trying so many things that she's become who she is now."
Old 2011-01-23, 11:05   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Oh, we got our legendary Taiga forced happy face, or whatever you call it, as well.
I'd call it the killer smile.

Spoiler for space:
Old 2011-01-23, 11:27   Link #74
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

For me Yui Horie characters are either really annoying, rather adorable or downright creepy. In all honestly a lot of people like Kushieda's character, but I'm not someone who seems to hang on to her unbridled optimism I guess. Episode 3's depiction of her character help set her apart from the typical stupid optimist, but it doesn't really change the fact that she's my least favorite character out of the main 5.
Old 2011-01-23, 18:35   Link #75
BarryW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
For me Yui Horie characters are either really annoying, rather adorable or downright creepy. In all honestly a lot of people like Kushieda's character, but I'm not someone who seems to hang on to her unbridled optimism I guess. Episode 3's depiction of her character help set her apart from the typical stupid optimist, but it doesn't really change the fact that she's my least favorite character out of the main 5.
Each time I watch I get a slightly different take on the characters. Minorin's weirdness is hard to take sometimes, but I realize that Minorin's optimism while locked in the storage room is forced. She's really scared but refuses to show it. At the beginning of the show none of the characters are showing their true selves. Minorin least of all.

During the whole episode Ryujii is babbling about Minorin and Taiga is growing more and more irritated. At first I though she was just annoyed, but now I think that it is the first stirrings of jealousy. She's never had someone treat her the way Ryujii does and she doesn't even understand the feelings she is starting to have. Think of how she reacted when Ryujii started calling her Taiga. This makes some of the later events even more understandable.
Old 2011-01-25, 19:39   Link #76
Kamonichan

*out of breath* Sorry I'm late. Anyway, just gonna give my two cents so far. Sorry, but I'm just gonna sum up my feelings for each episode so far.

Ep. 1: Looking back, I now begin to think Ryuuji has OCD for cleaning. It never really sunk in before, but now I honestly think that. I liked it the first time, but now that I'm really picking up on it, I like it even more. His obsession with cleaning is refreshing. Also, this time around, I "get" Taiga a lot more than the first time.

Ep. 2: Only one word can describe this, and I wish I was the one who coined it: Toradorable. This show was literally Toradorable.

Haven't seen (again) past this right now. I'll catch up. Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else had the problem where the video and audio will continue, but the subtitles will just not show up for a line or two? They come back, but I have to rewind the DVD to see what they said.
Old 2011-01-25, 21:55   Link #77
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Do you have the original discs or the remastered ones?
Old 2011-01-27, 14:55   Link #78
Kamonichan

Quote:
Do you have the original discs or the remastered ones?
Uh, I'm not sure, to be honest. I ordered them from RightStuf because people said they had replaced the faulty discs with the not-faulty ones.
Old 2011-01-27, 15:35   Link #79
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Just fill out their online form, they'll send you replacements in the mail in a couple of weeks (I got mine in a week).
Old 2011-01-27, 19:08   Link #80
Kamonichan

Thank you very much. Glad I asked, or else I would have just put up with it. Toradora is worth it, in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
re-watch, toradora