AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 13:47   Link #1801
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
episode 12 was amazing. Love the backstory of the characters and their playing habits. Toki has become my favourite character this season.
Old 2012-07-02, 21:22   Link #1802
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Still no word on who voiced Atago Masae? I can't really check the Japanese wiki right now, and my office's browser doesn't have any Japanese or Chinese language support, so any entry will just show up as boxes. ^^;
Old 2012-07-02, 21:39   Link #1803
Midonin
Last Engage

Masae was voiced by Aya Hisakawa. Sailor Mercury, Yoriko Yasaka, Cure Moonlight, etc.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:50   Link #1804
RJ TAYLER

Not to mention having the 'yuri series' ' "Runs on the board" with Chloe (Noir) and Jodie "Blue Eyes" Hayward in El Cazador etc.
Old 2012-07-02, 22:56   Link #1805
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm going to try to make one slight change to my Miyanaga Sisters Estrangement Theory (as posted here) to account for the key flaw I've seen brought up against it - The flaw being that Saki talked about how her family also got upset when she won.

To fully explain this alternation, I think it might be helpful to draw a comparison between the Miyanga Sisters and the Williams Sisters of real life Pro Tennis.

The Williams Sisters were completely dominant in women's pro tennis for about a decade. Over that decade, though, there was much controversy surrounding them due to how their father (and coach) managed them. Basically, there was widespread speculation that Richard Williams was fixing at least some of the matches between his two daughters - There was a sense that he felt that one tournament was "Venus' time to shine" and another tournament was "Serena's time to shine". Now, this was never proven, of course, but suspicions were there.

Now, what if the father of the Miyanaga sisters was like that? What if he felt that Teru should get to be dominant first since she's the older sister? So he privately got upset with Saki when she defeated Teru a couple times. So Saki decided to use the plus/minus zero approach to ensure that Teru didn't lose to her. While this pleased Saki's father, it enraged her mother, and Teru also took great offense at Saki throwing matches like this. This ultimately tore the family in half.

Saki's father eventually goes on to regret his complaints to Saki, but he thinks it's too late to fix things. He goes on to feel bitterness towards mahjong because of it. Teru might not have known that her father encouraged Saki to throw matches, and so all of her anger is understandably focused on Saki. Saki cares for her father, so she doesn't want to blame him for this, so Teru is never told the truth about it.

My theory might not need this alteration, but I think I'll throw it out there just to answer the "They also didn't want Saki to win, though" hole in my theory.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-07-02 at 23:08.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:44   Link #1806
RJ TAYLER

An interesting theory there and if I am allowed to extrapolate it to another sport then we had a good example of a cycling 'lead out' train going on with Onjouji Toki being the lead out rider, Hanada Kirame being the 'pilot fish' (keeping the girls out of serious troubled waters and driving the train so to speak) and Matsumi Kuro slotting into the ''Mark Cavendish" role at the end.
Old 2012-07-03, 05:23   Link #1807
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

What's going on in Teru's head in the final few minutes of the Vanguard match. How's THAT for a reversal of perspective:

Spoiler for Spoilered for size:

Maybe Sumeragi can translate this one? I can get the general gist of things, but some of the kanji lost me.
Old 2012-07-03, 07:59   Link #1808
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
What's going on in Teru's head in the final few minutes of the Vanguard match. How's THAT for a reversal of perspective:

Maybe Sumeragi can translate this one? I can get the general gist of things, but some of the kanji lost me.
She saw some strange things too...
1. Toki feels like dying.(FREAKING TRUE! )
2. No idea.
3. Something bout the Dora.

Thats exactly whats going on... Teru thinks the points diff is very far so she riichi. And hoping no one kills off her 1 shot.(Which, Kirame killed the 1 shot..., dat Toki grin!)

She also noticed that Toki and Kirame are cooperating.(In co-op modes, you usually team up to play against the boss of that mission. In this case, it is single match, so it is like. Myssa + me + Triple-R vs Kyuu.)

She said she won't lose to such cooperation(She is the boss of that mission after all.. the other 3 are players...), until Kuro riichi, which caught her totally off guard, since she riichi there is no way to change her hand. Throw the winning tile, and Critical Hit on Teru(Baiman).

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-07-03 at 08:10.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 08:17   Link #1809
darkchez11

Question have you guys seen teru’s face when she deny saki being her sister? I mean saw her eyes when she actually said it?

I know that it was because she was lying or she doesn’t want to bring it up and talk about it that’s why it turns out like that (darken face) but I have this suspicion like there’s something deeper reason why she’s distancing herself to saki and it’s not just because she’s mad at her.

So this is my own theory about the sister (pardon my grammar >< )

Spoiler for Teru and Saki:
darkchez11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 15:24   Link #1810
Academus

Quote:

Spoiler for Translation:

Last edited by Academus; 2012-07-04 at 01:37. Reason: Mistranslation, shout out. Thanks to scarletknive
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 19:15   Link #1811
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academus View Post
Spoiler for Translation:
Fix'd for you since there is 1 small part missing
Old 2012-07-03, 20:19   Link #1812
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Is that fan-made, or from the actual Saki manga? I'm pretty sure it's fan-made, but I'm asking just to be sure.
Old 2012-07-03, 21:09   Link #1813
Key Board
Carbon

fanmade

Teru actually looks even more scary in the manga than the anime
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:04   Link #1814
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Oh no Toki

So the last 3ep are going to be played back to back or on each dvd
Old 2012-07-03, 22:11   Link #1815
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So the last 3ep are going to be played back to back or on each dvd
The 12 TV episodes will ship on the first six volumes, and then there should be probably two additional volumes for the last 3 episodes. But the episodes will probably be shown online before the Blu-Rays/DVDs ship, though timing is TBD.
Old 2012-07-03, 23:10   Link #1816
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Triple_R+: It's just a funny strip I found in Pixiv I wanted to share. It's kind of obvious that it's fan made, since Teru has absolutely no idea what's going on (wherease we know from the show that she's at least clued in to the quirks of her opponents, since she's tailoring her strategy to them).
Old 2012-07-04, 00:33   Link #1817
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Triple_R+: It's just a funny strip I found in Pixiv I wanted to share. It's kind of obvious that it's fan made, since Teru has absolutely no idea what's going on (wherease we know from the show that she's at least clued in to the quirks of her opponents, since she's tailoring her strategy to them).
You're right, but I made my reply to you before I read the various translations for it on this thread, so I wasn't sure what Teru was saying/thinking in it. So the only reason why I was pretty sure it was fan-made was the art quality - Which while fine for a fan-work, would be a bit low-quality for a professional manga.
Old 2012-07-04, 03:29   Link #1818
Sumeragi
Banned

Here is Hakka-ya's rendering of Teru in the doujinshi Buchou Musou. I personally love this short story:

Spoiler for Saki: Miyanaga Teru-hen:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 05:17   Link #1819
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Here is Hakka-ya's rendering of Teru in the doujinshi Buchou Musou. I personally love this short story:

Spoiler for Saki: Miyanaga Teru-hen:
Last part... Is it really true that Teru gets lost in the hall too?(Oh dear... They need a map of the hall badly...)
Old 2012-07-04, 08:03   Link #1820
RJ TAYLER

Guide team mates all round! Have them pair up like the London Peelers.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri