AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-08-03, 00:40   Link #1321
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno View Post
I want to give this anime a shot. Can anyone explain the difference in translation quality between the groups fansubbing it?
Actually, we can't talk about fansubs here because it's an MFI produced anime. Sorry.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 03:30   Link #1322
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Thanks for the info.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 19:53   Link #1323
Zoe

Episode 20 title + summary

Spoiler:

Ox and Kirikou have been added to the official site <3
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 08:06   Link #1324
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Episode 20 title + summary
Thanks, Zoe.

I do so love how literal the titles are. So wordy they're funny.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 18:00   Link #1325
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://anime.webnt.jp/program/index....ail&detail=882

The summaries and staff for ep19-23 are up on the Newtype site now. They're still pretty much following the manga 1:1.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 22:26   Link #1326
Zoe

Hopefully they find some way to keep the pacing smooth :\

Seems like they're aiming for a clear break with the third season.
Old 2008-08-10, 05:52   Link #1327
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

I think following the manga is a good thing.
Zoned87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 11:24   Link #1328
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoned87 View Post
I think following the manga is a good thing.
It's nice to be faithful to the source, but the pacing of a manga doesn't always translate well when put into motion.
Old 2008-08-11, 18:37   Link #1329
v1cious

is there an actual list of Excalibur's rules? someone posted like 100 of them on 4chan.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 01:15   Link #1330
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I really like all the throwback references in the series

Friday the 13th - when Maka and Soul defeated Somson J, he had a 13 on his shirt, had a bag over his head (like when Jason originally appeared) and wielded a large knife of some sort

Blair Witch Project - c'mon, a witch and her name just happens to be Blair

then of course Frankenstein
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 15:47   Link #1331
The Real Nemo

I hope this is the right place to post this, I noticed something weird about ep 22 that relates to events in the manga...

Spoiler:
The Real Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 08:51   Link #1332
lmd_84

I noticed that too. Could either be a hint of future changes, or just an error and inconsistency compared with the manga. I suppose we'll have to see how
Spoiler:
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 01:46   Link #1333
solomon

It's been a while scince I've commented.

Overall BONES did a great job so far, with the little peppers of great animation throughout.

I wonder what direction the story will take scince the manga is still running though.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 05:49   Link #1334
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
is there an actual list of Excalibur's rules? someone posted like 100 of them on 4chan.
I sure hope there is. I'd love to have a read of them all.
Old 2008-09-14, 19:01   Link #1335
solomon

Anybody seen sites where they have staff/cast interviews?

It's a friggin shame Newtype isn't in america anymore
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 17:13   Link #1336
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Nemo View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this, I noticed something weird about ep 22 that relates to events in the manga...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

On another topic, I found this series called Franken Fran and read it. The main character shared several similarities with Stein (including bolts in the head), but I'm not sure I can call her a knockoff. But other than that, it was... an interesting read, one I'm sure Stein would have at the top of his reading list.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 21:35   Link #1337
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
On another topic, I found this series called Franken Fran and read it. The main character shared several similarities with Stein (including bolts in the head), but I'm not sure I can call her a knockoff. But other than that, it was... an interesting read, one I'm sure Stein would have at the top of his reading list.
They're both obviously based on the classic mad scientist story Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Although the bolts were added by the director of some film adaptation, and technically they were on the monster, but... Whatever. Anyway, homage.
Old 2008-09-29, 18:15   Link #1338
Clarste
Human

So, as you've probably noticed, most of the character names in Soul Eater are references to something. Some are obvious, some less so, and of course some of the obvious ones are only obvious if you're familiar with the right things (like all the Japanese puns are meaningless if you don't know Japanese). Being a kind of obsessive person, I've sort of made a goal for myself to figure out all the references.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with everything, so I've missed some, and maybe misinterpreted some others. So I'm gonna list all the characters (using the romanizations that are on wikipedia, except where I disagree) along with what I think their references are, and maybe some of you can fill in the blanks or correct me. Hopefully it'll be fun and educational for all involved.

Weapons

Soul Eater
The first thing that I thought of was that Scythe in Phantasy Star Online. I guess that fits, but it seems a bit obscure, and it's a bit more likely that they're both based on the same thing rather than one based on the other. It could just be a generic Grim Reaper reference.

Tsubaki Nakatsukasa
Tsubaki is a kind of flower (referenced within the show itself), and I have very little idea what Nakatsukasa means ("within duty" or something?). Considering most of the other weapons are actually references to weapons, I'm unsatisfied with leaving it at that.

Elizabeth and Patricia Thompson
Thompson is probably referring to the Thompson Machine Gun (also known as the Tommy gun, Chicago typewriter, etc). I've also heard some other guns described as Thompsons, but I'm not a gun nut so I don't know how accurate that is.

Spirit Albarn
I get the feeling that his name comes from the word "soul" being looked up in a thesaurus. Also his name is Albarn because he's Maka's father, and she was probably designed first.

Masamune Nakatsukasa
Masamune is the name of a famous Japanese swordsmith. Commonly used in Final Fantasy and other games as the name of a powerful katana.

Ragnarok
Ragnarok is a Norse word for the battle of the gods that will end the world, as described in prophecy. A popular name for weapons in video games.

Excalibur
The name of King Arthur's famous sword (one of them anyway).

Mira Kniges
This is Sid's partner, if you don't remember. Miira means mummy in Japanese, referencing the fact that she's covered in bandages. Kniges sounds kinda like knives, I guess.

Vajra
This is Asura's weapon (the Kisshin). Vajra is the name of Indra's weapon in Hindu mythology, and has various symbolic meanings that I'm not too familiar with. Presumably Vajra has a human form that Asura's not letting him/her revert to, but who knows?

Justin Law
Justin means just (as in justice), and Law means law. Clearly there's a theme here.

Mary Mjolnir
Mjolnir is the name of the Norse god Thor's hammer. Since Thor is the god of lightning, this probably explains the lightning bolt on her eyepatch. Also, I'm kind of wondering why people like to spell her name as Marie. I guess it's equally valid, but is there a reason why that's more popular?

Azusa Yumi
Yumi means bow (as in bow and arrow), and Azusa is a kind of tree they make bows out of. This hardly a reference at all, but I guess you wouldn't get it unless you spoke or read Japanese.

Spoiler for manga; characters who are not yet in the anime:

Witches

Angela Leon
This is the little kid that Mifune protected from Black*Star. I guess her hat looks like a chameleon?

Medusa
Medusa was character in Greek mythology who got cursed to have snakes for hair and stuff. Medusa is the snake-themed witch in Soul Eater, so yeah.

Eruka Frog
Eruka is an anagram of kaeru, the Japanese word for frog. Frog is frog. She's a frog.

Mizune
Mizune is an anagram of nezumi, the Japanese word for mouse or rat.

Spoiler for manga stuff:

Other

Maka Albarn
No clue. It's possible that she was designed before the author started naming his characters after stuff.

Black*Star
No clue. See above. Possibly a parody of people who insist on spelling their names extremely oddly.

Death the Kid
Well, he's the son of Death, obviously. Also, probably referring to the nicknames of Western gunslingers like Billy the Kid.

Jack the Ripper
That guy from the very beginning of the first episode. Jack the Ripper is a famous English serial killer.

Blair
Since she looks like a witch, probably a reference to The Blair Witch Project (a movie)

Sonson J
This is some random Kisshin egg that Maka kills. Considering his mask, he's a reference to Jason, of the Friday the 13th series of horror movies (Son J is Jason phonetically reversed). In the manga he was actually named Jason, but I guess they changed it for copyright issues.

Rasputin
Another random guy Maka kills. Refers to the famous Russian mystic.

Mifune
The samurai that Black*Star fights in his introductory episode. Toshiro Mifune was a famous Japanese actor best known for his samurai movies.

Sid Barret
No clue.

Franken Stein
Refers to the mad scientist in Mary Shelley's famous story, Frankenstein. Deep in my heart, I kinda wish his peers (the Death Scythes) called him Frank instead of Stein, because that would be hilarious.

Ox Ford
Oxford university. Ox is smart, so yeah.

Kirikou Lunge
Kirikou is the title and main character of a animated movie based on an African folk tale. That's all I know.

Free
He named himself in-show, I doubt it's a reference. If we ever find out his real name it probably will be a reference to something, but maybe he just doesn't have a name.

Krona
Many people call him/her/it Chrona, but the evidence for that seems dubious to me. Also, Krona is the last three syllables of Ragnarok pronounced backwards.

Asura
Asura are a kind of demon in Hindu mythology.

Spoiler for manga:

So, that's my big list. Does anyone have anything to add or did I just waste my time? :P
Old 2008-09-29, 19:38   Link #1339
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Mary Mjolnir
Also, I'm kind of wondering why people like to spell her name as Marie. I guess it's equally valid, but is there a reason why that's more popular?
Because it's pronounced as Marie rather than Mary

Quote:
Maka Albarn
No clue. It's possible that she was designed before the author started naming his characters after stuff.
Albarn is likely a reference to Damon Albarn, the guy behind Gorillaz.

Quote:
Sid Barret
No clue.
Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-09-30, 17:51   Link #1340
[MTT]Kamikaze
Mental Twist Team

For the Sid Barret thing, in Final Fantasy 7 there were characters called Cid and Barret. Considering the sponsorship by Square-Enix I wouldn't throw that thought away.
[MTT]Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater