AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-22, 13:03   Link #101
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Interesting, but I have to wonder... if it doesn't work on magical beings, that it's a fairly pointless magical ability to have for combat. if she's fighting normals, her normal MG powers would greatly suffice. It would only really come in handy on MG's and familiars/witches, but they would be immune.

So really, it's only good for bumming food and other free stuff. Which does help her live as a person by herself, but that's about it.

Would it work on Madoka, who is not yet an MG but has supposedly a large amount of potential? It should work on Kamijou.

Now here's a horrifying thought: Kyoko used it on Hitomi, deliberately bringing pressure on Sayaka as a way to twist the screws. It would explain so much...
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 22:01   Link #102
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well kind of scary that she's the last character in the series that I like. Though it helps that she's developed nicely in the past few episodes thanks to the revelations that have been thrown at her.
Old 2011-02-26, 05:41   Link #103
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well kind of scary that she's the last character in the series that I like. Though it helps that she's developed nicely in the past few episodes thanks to the revelations that have been thrown at her.
I find it scarier that she's the only character in the series I like.

None of the other girls have been able to do anything for me so far, beyond Kyouko.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:07   Link #104
MarmoO

As Kyoko is almost surely bound to die next episode I find it kind of saddening there is almost no word about her since last episode (well, as a lurker I'm not the one with right to criticize, but...). As for me, she kinda grew on me, right now with her tsun-tsun-dere-dere attitude towards Sayaka I consider her most interesting character out of whole cast (Ai Nonaka did a great job here).
MarmoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:50   Link #105
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Her power hasn't been revealed yet, and I'd wager she won't die until it is.

Right now, the only two possibilities are super-strength and hypnotism. If the latter, then it will be a plot point. If the former, then it was already kinda shown (although it's hard to compare strength of a normal MG vs. Kyoko's supposed super-strength).
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:59   Link #106
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if no other major character dies from now until the end of the anime. Just because Kyoko wasn't in the Episode 1 dream doesn't mean that she absolutely has to be killed off before the Walpurgis Night arrives.

Now, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there's more character deaths, but I wouldn't be counting on them.

Gen doesn't need to kill characters to create dramatic tension and create a dark mood. He's clearly demonstrated that already. While this anime is "dark", it's a far far cry from the sort of 'gorn' you see in Elfen Lied, or even Ga-rei Zero. I'm not saying that to be critical of Madoka Magica, but just to point out that while it may be valid to expect this show to be very dark, that doesn't necessarily translate into lots of death and/or gore.

On the whole, Gen clearly goes for "Psychological Thriller" moreso than "Gruesome Carnage".
Old 2011-02-26, 23:48   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if no other major character dies from now until the end of the anime. Just because Kyoko wasn't in the Episode 1 dream doesn't mean that she absolutely has to be killed off before the Walpurgis Night arrives.

Now, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there's more character deaths, but I wouldn't be counting on them.

Gen doesn't need to kill characters to create dramatic tension and create a dark mood. He's clearly demonstrated that already. While this anime is "dark", it's a far far cry from the sort of 'gorn' you see in Elfen Lied, or even Ga-rei Zero. I'm not saying that to be critical of Madoka Magica, but just to point out that while it may be valid to expect this show to be very dark, that doesn't necessarily translate into lots of death and/or gore.

On the whole, Gen clearly goes for "Psychological Thriller" moreso than "Gruesome Carnage".
I really hope you are right on this. Plus I think it's hard to guess anything too specific based on that dream. We just don't know if it's the future in this timeline or if it's from another one where Homura failed to stop things. Until something happens to Kyoko here I'm not going to give up on her.

Think it'd have more meaning anyways for her to start as a seeming antagonist and end up as a good character who makes it to the end.

She's got to make it since if the show is left on Madoka and Homura's shoulders it's going to fall apart. I need at least one character I like to be alive in a show. She dies and I'm probably taking a long break until it's over and then I might just power through it just to know how it ends.
Old 2011-02-26, 23:54   Link #108
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If Kyoko survives the next episode, then I'd say the chances of her surviving the series goes up dramatically to almost guaranteed levels.

That said, it would seem apropos for WitchSayaka to kill Kyoko, as Kyoko throws away the selfish attitude that has kept her alive all these years and tries to save her. It just makes too much thematic sense. Guess we'll see. I suppose it's also possible Kyoko kills Sayaka, but I just don't think all the character growth was done for Kyoko to revert to her old self. The other option is Kyoko somehow manages to escape....but I think that's highly unlikely. Heck, can a MG even escape? We know Witches can. But, we've never seen a MG escape so far.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 05:15   Link #109
MarmoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
That said, it would seem apropos for WitchSayaka to kill Kyoko, as Kyoko throws away the selfish attitude that has kept her alive all these years and tries to save her. It just makes too much thematic sense.
Exactly my thoughts. Also Gen's words: anything what Homura says has its meaning (or something like that). Remember what she said contrasting Sayaka and Kyouko's attitudes as Magical Girls: Sayaka is as good as dead, because she doesn't have what it takes to survive, Kyouko makes a perfect MG, because of her selfish attitude. Throwing away her selfishness and selflessly trying to save Sayaka makes just too good situation to not close it. I think Gen is trying to go here with something similar to Greek tragedy (remember Antigone, for example?), choices which characters can make will ultimately lead to suffering. Going against the "laws" of this world must end in tragedy even though what she does is objectively good. I hope I'm mistaken, because she's my favourite character this season.
Old 2011-02-27, 08:19   Link #110
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i've been preparing myself for kyoko's inevitable death to lessen the hurt when it finally happens. T_T i have my boxes of tissue with me already..DX
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 13:47   Link #111
Dawnstorm

The more interesting (from a story telling point of view) variant for next episode would be that Kyouko defeats witch Sayaka. That's because then Kyouko will end up with Sayaka's grief seed. What will she do with it? I'm burning to know. Somehow I doubt she'll hand it over to Kyubey after all we learned so far. But what else is there to do? (Come to think of it, what did Homura do with Charlotte's grief seed?)

Sayaka taught us about soul gems. I'm hoping that Kyouko will teach us about grief seeds.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 13:52   Link #112
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
The more interesting (from a story telling point of view) variant for next episode would be that Kyouko defeats witch Sayaka. That's because then Kyouko will end up with Sayaka's grief seed. What will she do with it? I'm burning to know. Somehow I doubt she'll hand it over to Kyubey after all we learned so far. But what else is there to do? (Come to think of it, what did Homura do with Charlotte's grief seed?)
Interesting point. Given the possibility that Grief Seeds might re-awaken to witches, it could be that Kyouko keeps Sayaka's Grief Seed, which will then revive during Walpurgis Night. However, we can't just overwrite the fact that next episode will most likely mainly focus on saving Sayaka. So, let's see. I give both 50% to the saving her and not being able to save her.

Wasn't Charlotte's Grief Seed the one that Homura threw at Sayaka in episode 8? I didn't pay attention to the GS symbol.
Old 2011-02-27, 14:16   Link #113
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Wasn't Charlotte's Grief Seed the one that Homura threw at Sayaka in episode 8? I didn't pay attention to the GS symbol.
I think someone on /a/ pointed this grief seed wasn't Charlotte's or any other already known in the show.
Old 2011-02-27, 15:54   Link #114
hoarfrost

Quote:
Interesting point. Given the possibility that Grief Seeds might re-awaken to witches, it could be that Kyouko keeps Sayaka's Grief Seed, which will then revive during Walpurgis Night. However, we can't just overwrite the fact that next episode will most likely mainly focus on saving Sayaka. So, let's see. I give both 50% to the saving her and not being able to save her.

It was the grief seed of the witch that Sayaka had just killed. She gave it to Kyoko because she didn't want to owe her for saving her life.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 14:19   Link #115
Dawnstorm

Quote:
However, we can't just overwrite the fact that next episode will most likely mainly focus on saving Sayaka.
I'm not sure that saving Sayaka and defeating her witch form are mutually exclusive. I think that maybe a witch is little more than a grief seed's tantrum. What matters is the seed itself.

You're right, though, in that, Kyouko might be unwilling to defeat Sayaka. However, if she doesn't, there's Homura... However, since Kyouko's theme is "don't waste [food, grief seeds...]" I'd say having the grief seed with her would be... interesting, story wise.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 12:46   Link #116
MarmoO

Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-03, 12:59   Link #117
Sekirei07

The way this series is going suggest that Kyoko will die the very way she tells people not to live. By trying to save someone else (Sayaka)
Old 2011-03-03, 13:00   Link #118
sa547
*Author

Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-03, 18:40   Link #119
Fishbait

;___________;
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 19:28   Link #120
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote: