Old 2012-01-21, 09:08   Link #1
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Anime that can make a grown man tear up

[Updated: 02-10-2012]
Scroll down for a comprehensive list

---

Original Post:
I wrote 'tear up' instead of 'cry' because making me cry is like winning a lottery. I'm 26 years old straight male and haven't cried in over 15 years.

I've teared up over some anime, but it would take all of them combined to make one drop of tear.

Some example:
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Anohana
Clannad: After Story
Air - didn't feel it until the end

These have no effect or don't remember much b/c they have no effect in the first place:
True Tears
Grave of Fireflies
Kanon
ef: a tale of memories

I could list a bit more, but I'd like to see some input first.

I'd also like to add that I have not tear up or cry when watching non-anime related TV shows/movies as well.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Here's the list of anime I've watched and rated. You can sort them by rating to get a better idea of my preferred anime. Sort by year to see how experienced/old school I am. I'm pretty serious in rating them, so it's very accurate.

---

----------------------- I will update the list based on what you guys have suggested -----------------------

MY Tear-Jerking Anime Ranking: (Percentage = Chance you will tear up or cry)

**ADD 20% to all if you're already a crybaby xD

***Also note that I ONLY watch 'SUBBED' version rather than 'DUBBED' because I believe SUBBED version is far superior in bringing about each character's emotions.

81-100%

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Clannad: After Story
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

61-80%
Air
Angel Beats!
Grave of Fireflies
Now and Then, Here and There
One Piece (Enies Lobby Arc)
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

41-60%
Aishiteruze Baby
Ga-Rei Zero
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Saikano
Shinigami no Ballad
Stein;Gate
True Tears

Less than 40%
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (BakeNeko Arc)
Bartender
Canvas 2
Code Geass
Cross Game
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Gantz
Haibane Renmei
Kowarekake no Orgel
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Naruto
Onegai Teacher!
Rozen Maiden
Usagi Drop
Wolf's Rain
Yosuga no Sora

Dropped
Aria (Trilogy)
Kaiba
Katanagatari
Senjou no Valkyria

Pending
11 Eyes
5 Centimeters Per Second
Gunbuster
Iriya no Sora, Ufo no Natsu
Kannagi
Kanon
Kobato
Major
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Myself Yourself
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Rorouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
The Girl Who Leap Through Time
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
xxxHolic
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na

Last edited by HarimaHario; 2012-02-10 at 02:49.
Old 2012-01-21, 10:04   Link #2
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'll give you the titles that moved the mind of a cynical and rational man like me (and it was really hard eh). No movies/telefilms whatsoever ever emotionally moved me, and neither the death of someone ever caused trouble in my mad soul.

1) The girl who leap through time (The first anime that basically picked up my interest in jap animation, especially in the romance side. It's a movie about a liceal girl who discovers a device to travel through time; at the beginning she fucks around with this thingie, but later on... believe me, watch it. This made my eyelids wet)

2) Onegai Teacher! (Story about a boy with a particular issue and a young hot alien teacher. Don't worry about the student/teacher relationship thingie, because it isn't seen like some wrong/scandal relationship. Past half of this series you'll get what i mean by "emotional". This was the second to seriously impress me, and you'll like it very much, i'm sure)

3) Angel Beats (I'm putting this title on the third place, but it doesn't mean that it's worse than the other two. It actually is way better plotwise and anything else' wise. I recommend you watch it after those two in order to get the "growing pleasure" effect. This could easily become one of your favorite animes in general. The sad part comes later on, so watch it to full)

4) Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na (It's the story about the love between a boy and the moon's princess. It's settled on a fantasy background, but near the end you will surely get moved. Episode 11/12, the last ones, will do the job)

5) Myself Yourself (It didnt' move me, but you can give it a try. The 'a bit dramatic' part comes near the end. It's always about teenagers falling in love with each other, with the childhood friend thingie and some sick issues.

All these titles get emotional after you get past half the series or near the end, so you have to watch them to full. They all are enjoyable titles and not boring, so you won't get the feeling "OOOO comon, when does this shit end?"

PS:
Just so you know my level of insensibility: i wasn't moved by Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, so you can trust me when i say that those title might stimulate your lacrimal apparatus.

EDIT
There actually is another series that in some episode could emotionally move you: The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: despite the name, it's a comedy with the sci-fi element. Haruhi is some bored girl with interests in aliens, time travellers and esper. Kyon, the protagonist, is our narrator and an awesome character, with loads of humor, and he isn't retarded but rather cynical and rational. Till here nothing is wrong, if not that Haruhi is a god and everything she wishes becomes true. Haruhi doesn't know this though. Since she wants that aliens and time travellers exist, they will exists and kyon, together with a time traveller, an esper and an alien will have the job of entertaining Haruhi in order not to make her destroy the world (if she gets too bored she might want to rebuild the world). You'll love the characters, since they get very much developed, the protagonist is just awesome, but what will capture you will be the movie. However, in order to get to the movie you have to go trough the two seasons (or actually the first season and 3 episodes of the second season). There is a developing relationship in the background, easily noticeable. The story continues with the novel, that i read and found awesome.

If you like Angel Beats, this will amaze you aswell, since they are very similar, with the difference that Haruhi's series is more focused on comedy.
Old 2012-01-21, 10:39   Link #3
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Thanks for quick respond. I'm gonna go over your recommendations:

1. The girl who leap through time - I must say I'm not into anime movies at all. You can say I'm heavily biased towards them for various reasons, but there are some good ones I've enjoyed. (1 in 20 movies statistic-wise). I've heard good things about this title, but gave up on it when I found out it's a movie. I'll give it a try nonetheless. Another popular one is 5 centimeters per second I believe.

2. Onegai Teacher! - This is one of my favorite anime for sure. Very intense anime emotional-wise as I recall. It's been a while.

3. Angel Beats - I've watched a couple of episodes a while back but stalled. Had no idea it's a tear-jerker. I'll give it another go.

4. Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na - Never heard of it. Will give it a go.

5 Myself Yourself - Never heard of it as well.

6 The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Watched first season a long time ago. I remember it being pretty good until the end where I don't know what the hell is going on (Kind of my fault to not follow up and try to understand it at the time). I didn't even know there's a 2nd season until today lol. I guess I got put off by all the hype and seeing the character everywhere on the web. I'll give it a go for sure.

Thanks for your time mate. Any other inputs are welcomed.
Old 2012-01-21, 11:03   Link #4
dametsuna

I second angel beats... it will touch you in the end.
Old 2012-01-21, 11:21   Link #5
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Of the second season of Haruhi suzumiya you just need Bamboo leaf Rapsody episode and the first and last Endless eight episodes. Then you can head for the movie that is.... seriously, it's a beast of movie (2 hours and 40 minutes, hahaha have fun): it got fantastic graphic, awesome soundtrack, fucking awesome plot and yuki gets developed so holy much.... holy shit my favorite title (After Steins;gate).

As far as Angel Beats is concerned, the first episodes might make it appear as a comedy/fantasy whatsoever, but trust me, it gets tearjerking and emotional later on and near the end, so do watch it. However, since you already started Haruhi suzumiya, you'd better finish it off, before going for Angel Beats. If you don't remember much the plot of haruhi, you just need to watch the first 5-6 episodes, and then the two i have listed, then you can go for the movie.

The girl who leapt through time: i hate movies aswell, since i prefer long series, but taking into account it pleased me, you can go sure there. Ye, it's similar to 5cm per second.

Still, i'm sure you'll love The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (The movie). It is just fantastic.
Old 2012-01-21, 12:31   Link #6
mecharobot

Maybe try watching something else than tear jerkers? I find it much easier to cry to something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes myself. I can't cry to any live-action works or novels either, though. Only anime, games and sometimes music seem to do the trick.

Bottom line, try watching different kind of shows. Sorrow isn't the only reason to cry. I remember reading that men tend to cry out of feeling a strong empathy to others. I don't know if it is true, but that's one reason to cry. To strongly relate to the circumstances of others, so you feel their anxiety. You might also cry watching happy things like Aria, or not. It all depends on the person and how you're able to shift your mood.

Besides, tearing up is basically the same as crying, unless you mean to wail or something.
Old 2012-01-21, 13:12   Link #7
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Maybe try watching something else than tear jerkers? I find it much easier to cry to something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes myself. I can't cry to any live-action works or novels either, though. Only anime, games and sometimes music seem to do the trick.

Bottom line, try watching different kind of shows. Sorrow isn't the only reason to cry. I remember reading that men tend to cry out of feeling a strong empathy to others. I don't know if it is true, but that's one reason to cry. To strongly relate to the circumstances of others, so you feel their anxiety. You might also cry watching happy things like Aria, or not. It all depends on the person and how you're able to shift your mood.

Besides, tearing up is basically the same as crying, unless you mean to wail or something.
I'd have to agree with you. Happiness, sorrow, tragedy, regret, etc. can cause one to cry. It just depends on the person and situation like everything else.

I've tried Aria, but it's not my kind of anime at all. Looking forward to watching LOGH though.

Adding to my list is:
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin (a hidden masterpiece known by few)

So many anime, so little time.

Last edited by HarimaHario; 2012-01-21 at 14:22.
Old 2012-01-21, 13:21   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are few other options, none of which is a romance.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Bakeneko

In most of these you need watch at least the first eight episodes or so before deciding.

There are particular episodes of Bartender, like episode two, that I find moving as well.
Old 2012-01-21, 13:38   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Though you seemed to have dropped Rurouni Kenshin the TV series, you might want to give Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen a try.

If the prologue of that OAV doesn't affect you, then I can't think of many other shows that would.
Old 2012-01-21, 13:50   Link #10
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Here are few other options, none of which is a romance.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Bakeneko

In most of these you need watch at least the first eight episodes or so before deciding.

There are particular episodes of Bartender, like episode two, that I find moving as well.
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - will check out
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - will check out
Nijuu Mensou no Musume - only had a chance to watch 1 ep a looong time ago. Thanks for reminding me
Bakeneko - I've watched the whole Ayakashi stories including this one. Not very emotional imo
Bartender - More of a relaxing than emotional imo

But yea, I'm interested in all kinds of genre. Just keep in mind I'm less sensitive/emotional than most people.
Old 2012-01-21, 13:59   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarimaHario View Post
Bakeneko - I've watched the whole Ayakashi stories including this one. Not very emotional imo
Spoiler:

Quote:
Bartender - More of a relaxing than emotional imo
Spoiler:

Quote:
But yea, I'm interested in all kinds of genre. Just keep in mind I'm less sensitive/emotional than most people.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum for a male, I think. For instance, I never could finish watching Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 2012-01-21, 14:00   Link #12
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Though you seemed to have dropped Rurouni Kenshin the TV series, you might want to give Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen a try.

If the prologue of that OAV doesn't affect you, then I can't think of many other shows that would.
I've been wanting to go back and seriously watch Rurouni Kenshin actually. It's been more than 6 years since I've seen it. The main character did not appeal to me at all for some reason. Together with lack of action scenes, I couldn't help but drop it. I'll give it another go though. Thanks
Old 2012-01-21, 14:15   Link #13
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
To 1st Spoiler:
There's no doubt I feel sad and sorry for them, but they're just not emotional enough for me to express physically (aka tearing up).

To 2nd Spoiler:
Usagi Drop was more of a heart-warming and relaxing anime for me. But yea, you'll likely to be more impact emotionally with something you can relate.

----

There's many elements and factors which impact viewer's emotions/psyche including viewers themselves.
Finding an anime that can deliver a devastating result with those elements is the sole purpose of this thread. Not to mention it's a beautiful thing.
Old 2012-01-21, 15:19   Link #14
kitten320

It is hard to make me cry when it comes to watching shows, well I can get a bit teary but never to the point that some tears will actually leak...

So here is something that I consider to be sad enough:

Ga-Rei Zero, ending really got me hard... I wanted to kill the one who was at fault though over all I still liked the ending since it wasn't typical for this kind of action series. Series have a lot of action but also emotions. One of main heroines Yomi is very likable, a lot of people liked series just because of her and read the manga later.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is an emotional anime about assassins. Even though the theme is totally different, it still reminded me of Rainbow. Really liked this show and it had some strong moments that really made me sad.

That's it... wow, I though I had more

As addition you can try Senjou no Valkyria, series are positive for most of the time but towards the end some deaths happen and emotions are coming out of characters. Not as strong as those two above but worth a try.
Old 2012-01-21, 15:27   Link #15
HarimaHario
i eat glue

^

Ga-Rei Zero - One of my top anime, wish there were more =/
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - Tried a couple of Ep, but I didn't like it
Senjou no Valkyria - Hard to pick up on this one because I had played the game already. It didn't matter to me whether it's related to the game or not. I felt like I needed something fresh.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 2012-01-21, 15:47   Link #16
kitten320

A lot of people didn't like Phantom at first though I personally consider the first arc to be the best.
Anime has 2 time skips and after each time skip setting changes a lot and gives different feeling. Second setting is where most of the interests had risen. I really recommend you to watch till second setting and a bit of it and then decide.
Second setting starts at episode 12.
First 3 episodes in 1st arc are mostly training but later actual action starts. Episodes 5 and 10 were my faves in arc 1. Episode 11 is mostly recap. The way some main characters act changes with each arc because of the time that has passed. It is mostly noticeable with the main hero.

If you want to get through first arc as fast as possible than the main thing starts from episode 7 from where it all builds up towards arc ending. Till then it were more like small arcs.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Well you can always read Ga-Rei manga though from what I saw I was dissapointed =/
Never read it properly.
Old 2012-01-21, 17:18   Link #17
Elegance

Major(season 1)- made me cry, its a baseball anime. very emotional season.
Old 2012-01-21, 18:46   Link #18
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
A lot of people didn't like Phantom at first though I personally consider the first arc to be the best.
Anime has 2 time skips and after each time skip setting changes a lot and gives different feeling. Second setting is where most of the interests had risen. I really recommend you to watch till second setting and a bit of it and then decide.
Second setting starts at episode 12.
First 3 episodes in 1st arc are mostly training but later actual action starts. Episodes 5 and 10 were my faves in arc 1. Episode 11 is mostly recap. The way some main characters act changes with each arc because of the time that has passed. It is mostly noticeable with the main hero.

If you want to get through first arc as fast as possible than the main thing starts from episode 7 from where it all builds up towards arc ending. Till then it were more like small arcs.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Well you can always read Ga-Rei manga though from what I saw I was dissapointed =/
Never read it properly.
I'll take your advice and try to torture myself through Phantom I guess. You owe me one

Not a manga fan and probably probably never will (please spare me; I don't have a flame suit >.< ). I do skim through some of them when I get desperate and irritate at how certain anime ended but very rarely though. But let's save this for another thread and stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
Major(season 1)- made me cry, its a baseball anime. very emotional season.
I kind of got put off by the fact that there's so many seasons. The only long anime that have made me teared up is One Piece in one certain arc long time ago.

I've watched Cross Game (baseball anime) and liked it a lot, but it was not as emotional as I thought it would. If you considered Major 1 to be more emotional than cross game then I might give it a go.
Old 2012-01-21, 19:12   Link #19
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I would add SaiKano and Haibane Renmei
Old 2012-01-21, 19:24   Link #20
HarimaHario
i eat glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I would add SaiKano and Haibane Renmei
Saikano - did not like... had to force myself to finish
Haibane Renmei - looks interesting, will check it out