AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Danganronpa

Notices

View Poll Results: Danganronpa - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 3 7.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 24.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 12.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 9.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-28, 17:57   Link #61
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Not to mention that those explanations sound retarded as hell. A Despair epidemic? Really?
It isn't any "worse" than Junko being able to to install sentry guns etc.
While you may think it is "retarded", please keep in mind that it isn't just a "magical despair going like that": if you consider that Junko could have an effective memory wipe technique, that means she has some sort of methods to manipulate people psyche, which is proved with people rioting with Monokuma masks.

Meaning that she and her group can induce that despair, leading waste outside. It isn't as insane as you make it sound, considering mass riot and cult do exist IRL. If you exaggerate it the scale like any other trait danganronpa presented thus far, it is arguably not the most "silly" plot point. Far from it.
Old 2013-09-28, 19:31   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Not to mention that those explanations sound retarded as hell. A Despair epidemic? Really?
Apparently, people just couldn't handle hearing bad despairing news all the time.

So the real culprits of total worldwide anarchy? CNN.

Yeah, I'm with you, it's pretty silly. But this show was never that serious. I mean, cotton candy blood made that obvious, lol. The show has that "for cool, hip teens!" feel to it, where things are exaggerated to the EXTREME!, and you just roll with its amusing over-the-top nature. That's not to say there's no aesop here, as I do think the narrative is sincere in its hope message, but expecting the show to be realistic is like asking where Wile E. Coyote gets the money to pay for enough weapons to invade a small country with.
Old 2013-09-28, 21:25   Link #63
Calca
Expressionless

The explanation of what happened with the outside world is a bit underwhelming. It's not like it was a big natural disaster that turned the world upside down in one day. The quote "despair is contagious" is a hint as to kind of what happened though.
Old 2013-09-29, 00:05   Link #64
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

Didn't they notice that, somehow, their prominent physical features changed as to their height and body size should have been pertinent to their age like growing boobies or hair long?

Love the show, but too bad I didn't get to see the outside world. Anyways, Here is the funny theory.

The six of them will create a vaccine out of Naegi's Hope and filter the air by exposing him in the outside world. Naegi: I AM LEGEND.

Now, Can someone please enlighten me if Monokuma's really the principal known as Kirigiri's father?
Old 2013-09-29, 02:17   Link #65
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

the onsen scene......
it didnt come out at the anime isnt it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterson View Post
Now, Can someone please enlighten me if Monokuma's really the principal known as Kirigiri's father?
no
but kirigiri's father is indeed a robotic stuffed animal working for japanese gov public service

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
Old 2013-09-29, 02:34   Link #66
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, the thing warns you at the very beginning like "Hey guys, you might be asking some silly unimportant questions in the future, so you need some of that willing suspension of disbelief stuff if you want to keep up with this story."
Old 2013-09-29, 02:54   Link #67
Solitaired

I'm not going to explain how this incident is triggered nor who started it. I'll just explain how despair can infect the entire world.

As I've said, imagine a world where every media is on despair. What if this forum you are on right now suggests nonstop that hope is meaningless, effort is meaningless, how good despair is for you. Methods to achieve more despair. Kill your parents, kill random strangers, modify yourself.

Propaganda targeted towards the weak and poor. Let the rich despair, let the bullies despair, why should we suffer? Kill them all. And, they counter reacts. We are the elites, how dare you revolt, just stay in your despaired world and die. You are just the waste of the world, kill them all. And, the middle class kills to protect themselves.

Murder, rape, terrorism have gotten so common they are no loner considered as news. Everyone around you is influencing you with despair. Followers/Worshippers of SHSL Despair don on the Monokuma mask and wreck even more havoc.

And hey, there must still be remnants of hope out there. Lets have a live telecaster show of students with extreme talent killing each other, representations of hope. Drain all hope out of this world.

Honestly, this is a much plausible cause of apocalypse as compared to a meteor or zombie infection. Don't forget that although this is a fictional story, it is based on our world and everything has its own logic and explanation.
Old 2013-09-29, 04:29   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaired View Post
I'm not going to explain how this incident is triggered nor who started it. I'll just explain how despair can infect the entire world.

As I've said, imagine a world where every media is on despair. What if this forum you are on right now suggests nonstop that hope is meaningless, effort is meaningless, how good despair is for you.
Turn it off and read a book.

Quote:
Methods to achieve more despair. Kill your parents, kill random strangers, modify yourself.
I'm in too much despair to work that hard!

Quote:
Propaganda targeted towards the weak and poor. Let the rich despair, let the bullies despair, why should we suffer? Kill them all. And, they counter reacts. We are the elites, how dare you revolt, just stay in your despaired world and die. You are just the waste of the world, kill them all. And, the middle class kills to protect themselves.

Murder, rape, terrorism have gotten so common they are no loner considered as news. Everyone around you is influencing you with despair. Followers/Worshippers of SHSL Despair don on the Monokuma mask and wreck even more havoc.
Good, then we know whom to shoot. The most despairing thing about humans is that the bad guys are almost indistinguishable from the good guys. The idiots who put on a mask and announce to the world they're sociopaths? They're easy.

Quote:
And hey, there must still be remnants of hope out there. Lets have a live telecaster show of students with extreme talent killing each other, representations of hope. Drain all hope out of this world.
The mere fact that reality TV still exists is despairing.

Quote:
Honestly, this is a much plausible cause of apocalypse as compared to a meteor or zombie infection. Don't forget that although this is a fictional story, it is based on our world and everything has its own logic and explanation.
I agree. A man-made apocalypse is more engaging than a natural one.
Old 2013-09-29, 08:30   Link #69
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

As I've said, imagine a world where every media is on despair. What if this forum you are on right now suggests nonstop that hope is meaningless, effort is meaningless, how good despair is for you. Methods to achieve more despair. Kill your parents, kill random strangers, modify yourself.

This is why people have things called "inner strength". Also any religious belief should help you. And like Anh_Minh said, if you see them with masks on, that's who you open fire on. Shoot without prejudice.
Old 2013-09-29, 10:25   Link #70
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Dat Monomi at the end....
Old 2013-09-29, 12:33   Link #71
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

as Anime-only viewer, I must said I don't really feel satisfied with this anime

This episode is very anticlimactic.. or it already had since Sakura's death
I really want to see more direct confrontation against Junko
at least explain what's going on outside... what is the biggest despair incident on the earth??!!
people getting riot?? or hypnotized??? or what?

putting that aside, this kind of 'shounen-ending' isn't what I'm hoping for
well, Junko put up a very good mind-games to confuse everyone
but to think that Naegi is the only one who can hold on hope... hahaha... it's little disappointing since Kirigiri seems like considering to sacrifice Naegi once more

Naegi put on a good performance as the best male character in this series...
while the other didn't really help... well, I think it's because this is actually adapted from game so the main character should steal all the focus

but still, I can put 9/10 for this episode... This is not perfect... I still have many expectations... but I think at least I can understand the big story well, love the characters more (Naegi and Kirigiri are the best... I like Celes and Junko too.. the other just go to hell... hahaha), and love the setting.

Will put on more details on review thread
Old 2013-09-29, 13:07   Link #72
Solitaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is why people have things called "inner strength". Also any religious belief should help you. And like Anh_Minh said, if you see them with masks on, that's who you open fire on. Shoot without prejudice.
Yes. But in the case of this series, they might have became a minority. You can choose to shut off from everything else, believe fully in your own principles and religion. But not everyone has that strength. Your parents, soul mate, siblings, best friends, classmates, colleagues, neighbors, priest...... Everyone is influencing each other and a single possessor of hope can't survive alone. Why do people still smoke when they know the consequences? Inner strength and influence is everything.

Despair is so widespread the world has collapsed. Sure you can shoot anyone with the mask on, but YOU are the minority.

But apparently, hope still exists somewhere in the world. Otherwise, this series would not have existed.
Old 2013-09-29, 17:03   Link #73
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yes. But in the case of this series, they might have became a minority. You can choose to shut off from everything else, believe fully in your own principles and religion. But not everyone has that strength. Your parents, soul mate, siblings, best friends, classmates, colleagues, neighbors, priest...... Everyone is influencing each other and a single possessor of hope can't survive alone. Why do people still smoke when they know the consequences? Inner strength and influence is everything.

Despair is so widespread the world has collapsed. Sure you can shoot anyone with the mask on, but YOU are the minority.
Yeah, but how did it get that bad? It's like zombie apocalypses. Zombies are dumb, need to get close to their victims to eat, need to chose between eating and reproducing... So how do they destroy the whole world? Sure, once they outnumber the humans thousands to one, humanity's screwed. But before that?
Old 2013-09-29, 18:25   Link #74
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'm an anime-only watcher, hence, I cannot go deep into discussion about what was left out from the games, what was poorly adapted from the games, and how come they wouldn't made the anime into a 26-episodes series instead of a 13-episodes one, so that they could properly include all the material of the first game.

But, what I have to say is that Danganronpa surely won me over with its despair-induced, mystery thriller contraptions and black humor sadism splattered at every nook and edge throughout the academy.

Honestly, I did not expect a very completely unbalanced, female trope of a character like Junko too arrive too soon into anime screens. Although, I believe Junko's more like the embodiment for despair rather than either a severely demented, crazy lunatic b***h or a messiah with delusions of making the whole world fit into her standards of despair to satiate her preferences.

She definitely enters to be contestant for the throne of best female villains or antagonists:
2009 - Umineko no Naku Koro ni with Beatrice
2011 - Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? with Kyoko
2011 - Mirai Nikki with Gasai Yuno
2013 - Danganronpa with Junko Enoshima

However, I definitely think that Junko unanimously and über-ly tops all other contestants as easy as eating pie, because probably she might be after all the embodiment of conagious despair.
Unless the novels and other material, go detail into her background disclosing hints that may or not have led her to become into such a demon.

So, now as to the state of the world that has become crapsack due that Junko took advantage and capitalized on the initial strain of despair that disseminated I can give you some interesting quotes from the 2007 film, the Mist:

Quote:
Amanda Dunfrey: You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?

Dan Miller: None, whatsoever.

Amanda Dunfrey: I can't accept that. People are basically good; decent. My god, David, we're a civilized society.

David Drayton: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them - no more rules.

Ollie: As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

David Drayton: Want another reason to get the hell out of here? I'll give you the best one: her. Mrs. Carmody. Our very own Jim Jones. I'd like to leave before people start drinking the Kool-Aid.
Take all things that make society to run smoothly like phone, gas, internet, and electricity, then go spreading very despairingly nasty rumors, then keep people locked in the safety of their homes in the dark, and shoot the coup d' grace with the most despairing fright of their lives, and, tadah, Junko's fun-fun tour despair of rampage with no more rules to abide to.
And, she was ensuring that nobody think about even coming up with any kind of order by offering her masses of fans out there the top finest entertainment that humanity has never known in history: Despair Reality TV broadcasts where the most promising talents were ending up killing each other to reduce Hope levels to 0% amongst the worldwide population.
Old 2013-09-29, 19:07   Link #75
Silverwyrm

Anime-only viewer I enjoyed it greatly, though I feel like some details were left out. I will be buying the localization when ti comes out too not only to support bringing such games over, but to see the full story myself

Honestly I almost dropped this early because of the don't he game players slathered all over it, I am glad I decided to watch it more intently and found it enjoyable anyways.
Old 2013-09-29, 21:09   Link #76
Solitaired

Quote:
Yeah, but how did it get that bad? It's like zombie apocalypses. Zombies are dumb, need to get close to their victims to eat, need to chose between eating and reproducing... So how do they destroy the whole world? Sure, once they outnumber the humans thousands to one, humanity's screwed. But before that?
There is a proper explanation to the game's context on the spark that trigger this widespread in the sequel. I can PM you if you wanna know, but it is a spoiler for the sequel.

@Guido
A few gamers have mention this. Enoshima Junko is someone with a "attractable" and unique personality. But if she were to be present in every episode as one of the students, she will become outright annoying.
Old 2013-09-29, 22:29   Link #77
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Just caught the final episode. As a non-game player (something I hope to change soon), I liked this ep, the entire series even, though it had it's flaws.

As for this episode, I liked Junko's insanity and seriously despair inducing plan, Naegi's hope, and Kirigiri's adorable smile. That was enough for me.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2013-09-30, 11:36   Link #78
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I wonder how the world reacts after seeing how in the middle of "despair TV", the "hope" was able to strike back and win. It is probably too late already, but if this was shown in the TV, it may have influenced a lot of people.
Old 2013-09-30, 12:01   Link #79
Xander

I suppose this was an alright ending, though I wasn't too thrilled about the show in general.

Perhaps I'll check out the game(s) one day in order to experience this story in a different way.
Old 2013-09-30, 13:08   Link #80
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterson View Post
Didn't they notice that, somehow, their prominent physical features changed as to their height and body size should have been pertinent to their age like growing boobies or hair long?

Love the show, but too bad I didn't get to see the outside world. Anyways, Here is the funny theory.

The six of them will create a vaccine out of Naegi's Hope and filter the air by exposing him in the outside world. Naegi: I AM LEGEND.

Ad 1
Kirigiri did, she should have actually asked Monokuma what he did with hr body.
The funny thing is that Sakura didn't because there are a lot of Artworks of her where she is still far away from her current muscle state.
Not to mention some unlockable canon-pictures where she doesn't have a scar yet.

Ad2
I LOLed

Ad 3
Play DR 2 , or read the LNs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It isn't any "worse" than Junko being able to to install sentry guns etc.
While you may think it is "retarded", please keep in mind that it isn't just a "magical despair going like that": if you consider that Junko could have an effective memory wipe technique, that means she has some sort of methods to manipulate people psyche, which is proved with people rioting with Monokuma masks.

Meaning that she and her group can induce that despair, leading waste outside. It isn't as insane as you make it sound, considering mass riot and cult do exist IRL. If you exaggerate it the scale like any other trait danganronpa presented thus far, it is arguably not the most "silly" plot point. Far from it.
I think at least the sentry turrents in front of the vault door and the ones outside where installed by Kirigiri's father.
Maybe he also installed the one near the bathroom as a joke, but even if he didn't... --> DR 2

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Closed Thread