AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-27, 14:38   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Executive Meddling and Anime

Does anyone know of any other instances of Executive meddling in anime? I had been on TVTropes and read how Executive Meddling has either helped some anime (tokyo mew mew, sailor moon and arguably DBZ) or hurt some anime (Code Geass or YuGioh GX) but are there times wher eXecutive meddling in anime can be a good thing? Nobody really knows why certain anime like Evangelion or Saint Seiya are tremendous hits like they are but we do know that something might have been done "right" to make that happen. Executive Meddling is one of those reasons that can Executives can help or hurt an anime for something that the network wants changes in. Although some anime like Code Geass could have been better, I am glad that it was the way it is but are there any more instances where Executive Meddling has helped anime any?
Old 2009-09-27, 15:56   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I don't have any real stories, but I do know that "executives" in the form of producers are normally intimately involved with a show, especially in the planning stages, when they and the director and the lead writer get together to discuss how a show will be structured. I believe that producers can come from the animation company, the main production company that got the project financing together, and the TV network. So whatever a show is like, the "executives" deserve part of the credit/blame.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 20:46   Link #3
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Would you care to enlighten me on what 'Executive Meddling" is, and how much of a meddling these executives can do/did on certain series (like Eva, since it was in your example).

Actually, I thought the topic said excessive meddling... >.>
Old 2009-09-27, 22:03   Link #4
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...cutiveMeddling
Old 2009-09-27, 23:41   Link #5
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I read this post a few hours ago... and I'm still on this site. @_@
(Why can't I just look at an article and leave? ._.; )

Anyway, sometimes this is annoying. I much prefer when things are more faithful to the original work. I don't mind some changes or a few nice/funny additions, but sometimes they go a bit too far.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 23:49   Link #6
NoLongerSane

I have known about Code Geass and espescially Neon Genesis, but I did not know about DBZ and Sailor Moon. Huh, guess I learned something that I did not know.

P.S. could someone please explain to me how DBZ and Sailor Moon was alter via executive discissions. PM me or post on this thread if you want.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 09:02   Link #7
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Me too, and I dunno about Code Geass and Yugioh GX (since, thank God, the network dubbed the original version without any of that crud) but I heard of the "butchering" on Yugioh! 5Ds. That was one of the worse ones I heard of ever.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 01:40   Link #8
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Does anyone know of any other instances of Executive meddling in anime? I had been on TVTropes and read how Executive Meddling has either helped some anime (tokyo mew mew, sailor moon and arguably DBZ) or hurt some anime (Code Geass or YuGioh GX) but are there times wher eXecutive meddling in anime can be a good thing? Nobody really knows why certain anime like Evangelion or Saint Seiya are tremendous hits like they are but we do know that something might have been done "right" to make that happen. Executive Meddling is one of those reasons that can Executives can help or hurt an anime for something that the network wants changes in. Although some anime like Code Geass could have been better, I am glad that it was the way it is but are there any more instances where Executive Meddling has helped anime any?
Like it or not, executives have always played a big role in the creative process; from funding works to pushing creators in certain directions, and so forth. For the general public, these decisions tend to invisible, and so we attribute most things to the director whether it's deserved or not. And so a lot of "make this character more interesting", "this ending doesn't work", and other useful directives/pieces of advices go unheralded.

Tangentially, a lot of the classic science fiction short stories (and some novels) should be attributed to John W. Campbell, the editor of Astounding Science Fiction rather than the authors that are given credit for them.

Of the meddling that's widely known, the decisions to lengthen SDF Macross from 27 to 39 episodes, and to shorten Escaflowne to 26 episodes made a lot of difference in the final products, and both shows are better for it. The decision to get rid of Ikuhara before he could inject more of his crazy ideas into Sailor Moon was also very beneficial - both for Sailor Moon, and for allowing those ideas to germinate into Utena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
P.S. could someone please explain to me how DBZ and Sailor Moon was alter via executive discissions. PM me or post on this thread if you want.
Toriyama Akira wanted to end his manga quite early, but his editors convinced/forced him to continue it. End result: a couple of story arcs were added to Dragonball Z.

For Sailor Moon, there are a few different instances of Executive Meddling on the anime. There's the decision to make drastic changes to the SuperS season, the aforementioned removal of Ikuhara Kunihiko, the refusal to license the Stars season, and so on.
Old 2009-09-29, 02:44   Link #9
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Ken Akamatsu got hit with this hard while writing Mahou Sensei Negima. After Love Hina, he wanted to try something new and do a Shounen series, but the executives wanted to capitalize on the success of Love Hina with another Unwanted Harem series. As a result, Mahou Sensei Negima looks like an Unwanted Harem, but starts adding Shounen elements around volume 3, which increase in frequency until it pretty much is a Shounen series with some Unwanted Harem elements still hanging around. According to some fans, the combination of genres actually benefits the quality of the series.
This got me. Since I thought it was strange to become simply a haremy school life to a action packed series.

ps: I wished I knew of tvropes earlier >.< I been reading it since.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2009-09-29 at 03:06.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 10:46   Link #10
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Three words:

Gundam. SEED. Destiny.
Old 2009-09-29, 11:13   Link #11
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Well that's good to know but remember this.
TVTropes will ruin life!
Trust me. I wish i hadn't read some of the things written there.
Old 2009-09-29, 11:28   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
I read this post a few hours ago... and I'm still on this site. @_@
(Why can't I just look at an article and leave? ._.; )
Lol. You're always learning something though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 11:39   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
This got me. Since I thought it was strange to become simply a haremy school life to a action packed series.

aye, another "pure harem" series would have been boring. Its been interesting to watch Ken try to write an action story (though I think he fails a lot in communicating the moments of battle) with romance in it.
Old 2009-09-29, 16:51   Link #14
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

A couple more notes to add:

Dragon Ball Z: Executive meddling was definitely present in the last two major arcs of DBZ. In the case of the Cell arc, it turned out to be good (originally, Dr. Gero and the clown-like android were going to be the main bad guys, but executive meddling led to the appearances of first Android 17 and 18, then Android 16, and finally Cell and his many forms). However, in the case of the Majin Buu arc, it turned out to be bad (originally, Gohan was the one who was going to defeat Buu, but fan outcry resulted in Goku being brought back to life in order to defeat him).

Negima: According to one source that I read, Ken's orignal plans for his post-Love Hina manga was to be one set around a Japanese work office. While it would be interesting to see what he did with an office setting, at the same time I can see where initial executive meddling was actually for the better.
Old 2009-09-30, 07:23   Link #15
npcomplete

But are some of the changes in direction or writing due to purely business reasons? Or are some of them due to differences in preferences? Or perhaps a little bit of both? I see "executive meddling" as someone who comes in to 'veto' certain things or demanding a change in certain areas who is not regularly involved with the creative process from the beginning.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 11:29   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
But are some of the changes in direction or writing due to purely business reasons? Or are some of them due to differences in preferences? Or perhaps a little bit of both? I see "executive meddling" as someone who comes in to 'veto' certain things or demanding a change in certain areas who is not regularly involved with the creative process from the beginning.
Aye... it's rather like the network executives in the 1960s who didn't want Spock on the original Star Trek. Rather than actually research his popularity - they just assumed that his pointy ears would scare off the audience ("too Satanic"). The series won that battle.. but lost many others, each one of which diminished the series.
Old 2009-09-30, 15:58   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol satanic ears. If I'm correct Trek was described as too cerebral? Would probaly be the long string of meddling that stifled creativity in all the years of Trek.

If I remember correctly, after the a girl killed her dad, Higurashi and School Days were canceled for a little bit, resulting in the "nice boat" incident and resulting in blood being changed to black. (Didn't make it better, at least for me)

I also think Evangelion got hit by this causing its budget to be cut and resulting in the quality decline near the end, for controversial content, but I'm not sure. I came up with this from a quick search.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 22:36   Link #18
npcomplete

Kare Kano experienced meddling with devastating results beyond the halfway point in the show. Hideaki Anno (who directed the first half+) got into a dispute with the mangaka Masami Tsuda and the rest of Gainax and quit Gainax entirely after ep 16. Apparently the mangaka wanted more romance than the character development and character study focus of the first half, and the studio wanted more comedy? if I recall the bits and pieces of news/speculation right

I don't know of that's really exec meddling but I love what Hideaki did for Kare Kano. I didn't know any of that beforehand when I saw it, but the first half+ drew me in and the last ~1/3 or so just made me wish I hadn't watched it at all to avoid the disappointment
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote