AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-07, 12:06   Link #981
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Okay.

I don't have much in the way of time, so I'll make this short, but enough is enough.

I am ROYALLY SICK of seeing the same kinds of goddamn PISSING matches EVERY TIME I come here.

We have, as a community, become so bound to our self-imposed restrictions of what can and can't be done that any attempt to step outside the boundaries is to incur the wrath of all those who name themselves "enforcers" of the "law" here.

To be simple, we've completely lost sight of this thread's purpose.

Back when I joined, things like a derivation of canon were thought of as "crack" and "humorous, but not dangerous." Now, we have someone pushing the boundaries getting FLAMED simply for doing it.

I myself am losing interest in posting any new material of my own because I'm wary it's going to go the same way: "OH NOES HAXX BURN GTFO."

I do not understand why we are so worried about destroying the bounds of canon or anything along those lines. Again, many far more extreme materials were created earlier in this thread's life and were accepted - material I believe would be attacked if put up now.

...And it seems like Aaron once again has the intervention covered, which has deflated me somewhat as well. -_-;

I will say this though: I too am getting tempted to go to the mods and have them crack some heads. It's beyond disgusting that this kind of mudslinging is allowed to continue unchecked. I'm willing to bet that people have been and are being driven off because of this, and people are the lifeblood of Cadia.

I feel a bit better now. I am not angry, merely indignant. If you want to see me truly angry, keep this fight up - I'll be a lot more willing to vent after a tedious workday or two.

EDIT: Page claim for the mute button.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:07   Link #982
Anita
~ I Will ~

Stop crying Kha or you'll scare her further.

*takes Cadia Zwei and rocks her gently.*
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:09   Link #983
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I'm starting to doubt you are here any less often than I am Anita.
Old 2008-06-07, 12:10   Link #984
Anita
~ I Will ~

Shhh... You wake her.

*hums a lullaby*
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:11   Link #985
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Heart View Post
@ Wild Goose: lolz sometimes when read some fictions, have in them some madness, it make you wonder what the hell or you go all laughing about them.
That's pretty much what Macross OC is for. It's to laugh at. For instance, Aaron is second in skill only to Max and Millia Jenius because his cockpit is a shrine to Hayate; he's basically running not on the Power of Love, but on HAYATE-CHAN NO AI WO CHIKARAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
As for everyone commenting on the timeline problems, particuarly Goose:

I am already in the process of hammering out the problems mentioned with the common sense and brainstorming ways to feasibly get around it. My biggest idea at present is going back to the A’s epilogue and having Hayate join the navy instead of the ground forces, which introduces her to an OC captain who’s basically the TSAB’s version of General George S. Goddamn Patton. Where things go from here is anybody’s guess at the moment, but the most likely situation is something occuring during the timeskip which thrusts the Aces into the public spotlight in a very big and very heroic way. The military may not like the new kids on the block, but so far as the masses are concerned, they may as well be real-life superheroes, and as ATC pointed out to me, public support can be an extremely powerful weapon if it’s used right, especially in the political arena.
Now this here is a way that begins to show a light at the end of the tunnel (no ATC it is not the 10.15 express). Aces into the spotlight in a big and heroic way would indeed build up public support; the trick is how you use it and leverage your public support in the backroom wheeling and dealing.

See? You're starting to get the hang of this. *gives an apple*

The main thing I was unhappy with the whole "wowing" was really that it was rather unrealistic for everyone to be wowed on the spot. Sure the Aces would have their fans, but then for each fan there'd be a person who'd dislike them. Another alternative way to develop this is that the Aces have lots of public support, but internally in the TSAB it's a long battle to build rep and gain experience and wowing people by their actions - it'd take a while, since that's what happens with deeds, but as time went by the Aces would build a fanbase amongst the TSAB proper - you could have a situation where the rank and file loves the aces and the Brass dislikes them for coming in and messing up the status quo with regards to influence and the like.

Another thing to note: influence = leadership. If they can build greater spheres of influence it creates a greater political powerbase with more political capital for them to work with.

Anyway yeah I think I did overreact a bit here in a knee-jerk reaction so I'll step back for a bit and take a look at it when you're done more. Though my points remain.

Edit: ...Juliet Hotel Charlie, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot happened here? Garh another intervention from Aaron. -_-

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:11   Link #986
Aaron008R

Aww~...

Seeing a happy family makes me feel better already.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:12   Link #987
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Ah suit yourself.

*ruffles Cadia's hair*

She must be Aaron's most beautiful invention, I gotta admit. Sorry Serena.

EDIT: Aaron! Ninja!
Old 2008-06-07, 12:12   Link #988
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Now this I'd love to see.
Well that's an exaggeration, but he would surely find her to be intensely annoying all the same, and question Teana's sanity for staying around her...

Quote:
Though I think he'd get along reasonably well with Tesla, concidering her high amount of patience.
Well they probably wouldn't hate each other; becasue I mostly see them just not interacting that much as neither of them is what one would really call outgoing IMO, but for rather different reason.

Quote:
We've become too strict, and we don't provide enough actuall support. As you can see, any idea that falls out of the circle of what is concidered 'good' is mercilessly torn into without positive and actually helpfull feedback. That scares people off.
An Hero dropped off the face of earth LONG before there was much fighting at all so he's not ANY sort of example hell there wasn't even a fight or anything he just disappeared.

As for the rest of it indeed might have gotten too tough even just before Coma showed up, but he really brought out the worst in everyone and frankly anyone that's been on IRC can tell you he REALLY hasn't helped himself much since. I've been trying to just ignore him, but when I saw this latest stuff about basiclly trying to get rid of the TSAB I just couldn't take it that's too much for me to sallow.

Quote:
If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you. I didn't mention any names, did I? Though really, I wish you'd quit bringing up all those real-life units and references to te American army to justify a point.
Yes clearly using real world examples to support points is silly... form now on no Analogys allowed, ever.

Quote:
'Common sense' dictates that nobody is 'wowed' by RF6? That's a blatant contradiction to canon. People are in fact wowed by RF6. The Aces are famous because they wow people, and RF6 is no different. Here's a little page from chapter 11:

Spoiler for IS: Silver Retriever:

People are wowed by RF6. Comar's idea may be exagerated, but the core of it is entirely justified.

*still working on he rest of the post*
I see nothing here to indicate the sort of wowing that’s being debated… this is a group of line soldiers being impressed by the individual skill or members of the unit. This is NOT the same thing as higher ups being wowed not even close. Going back to the examples Goose used some soldiers might be impressed if a group of SEALs showed up and helped them out in a fight, but that wouldn’t somehow translate to there bosses lavishing praise on and loving the organization as a whole. People, especially guys on the line, are IMPRESSED by the Aces prowess no doubt, but that’s a different thing then liking them.

After all it’s a common theme throughout history for militaries to at least on some level respect each other or even find the other side impressive or admirable in some aspects… while still striving to destroy them. Basically people are impressed by the Aces, but for people that don't know them that well consider what they see? A bunch of high ranked celebrities getting special treatment and basiclly doing as they please while they're stuck following orders and obeying the structure of the TSAB. That's BOUND to breed resentment.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:14   Link #989
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Ah suit yourself.

*ruffles Cadia's hair*

She must be Aaron's most beautiful invention, I gotta admit. Sorry Serena.

EDIT: Aaron! Ninja!

*lights Kha's rear*

You're making too much noise! Cadia Zwei is sleeping.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:19   Link #990
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
1) Comartemis: Remember one of our conversations about ignoring most comments? It's not very healthy to ignore all of them, though. I am gonna take up a stand to ease up on the flak here. But I want results from you as well. Okay?
If you'd be so kind as to take a quick glance a few posts up, Aaron, you'll see that I'm already taking the given opinions into account.

Goose and TK are right to an extent, handwaving the bureacracy and acting like it doesn't exist isn't going to work. All I'm trying to do is put it in another room and let the Aces deal with situations as they appear without worrying overmuch about how this or that is going to affect their political standings. Basically the worst you're probably going to see is Hayate griping about orders from her superiors, just like how in StrikerS Regius's "examination" or whatever he was trying to do wasn't shown on screen.

It may exist but it will not be a focus of the story and I'm sorry but that's not going to change. I sincerely doubt my ability to write a believable military/political thriller like a Tom Clancy wannabe and frankly I'm not really interested in doing so in the first place.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:24   Link #991
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I've said this before, but IMO an AU isn't a "do anything" pass. Crack is one thing, but attempting a write a serious AU continuity is another. Actually when doing this canon becomes MORE important as you know need to start predicting and guessing the logical outcome of your changes and the only thing that can let you do that is... what happened in canon.
I'm not saying it's a "do anything pass". If it does become that, the concept will treated like alot of other AU fics, ignored or merely just skimmed. Still, like I said his concept is more or less sound so there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to run with it. (Obviously with some tweaking to be done, just like any idea)

Quote:
Remember when Nanoha powered down Blaster 4 and RH had cracks running through it and Nanoha could barely walk on her own? That's pretty much what ExCalibur does to Rex. The difference is that there's no permanent damage to his linker core and a few days of simple bedrest--no real medical attention really required, though he'll usually get it anyways--will have him back on his feet and ready for action again.
Sounds acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited Eternal
To be simple, we've completely lost sight of this thread's purpose.

Back when I joined, things like a derivation of canon were thought of as "crack" and "humorous, but not dangerous." Now, we have someone pushing the boundaries getting FLAMED simply for doing it.

I myself am losing interest in posting any new material of my own because I'm wary it's going to go the same way: "OH NOES HAXX BURN GTFO."

I do not understand why we are so worried about destroying the bounds of canon or anything along those lines. Again, many far more extreme materials were created earlier in this thread's life and were accepted - material I believe would be attacked if put up now.
I'm going to hope that I'm not one of those 'enforcers' of the law that you mentioned. Since that hasn't been my objective in here... Then again if they haven't said that it's going to be a wildly AU piece that I'm likely going to ignore regardless, chances are I was cracking down as well.

But yes, you do have a valid point that things have become more canon focused since the creation of the thread. Whether that's a good things or bad is debateable but I'd like to think that most of the stuff since has been good for the creation of characters in general.

So yeah, coming back to all of this. Could people keep the agression out of thier posts. Keep the discussion going, disagree if you must, but if you can't find common ground then agree to disagree and drop the matter so that the thread doesn't get shut down for good.

Edit: Whee Tons of posts before mine got through...
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:24   Link #992
Aaron008R

@Coma: That's it. Now, wanna watch with us and see if the other side complies?

And no, you don't have to write like Tom Clancy.XD That's unreasonable imposition already!

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:27   Link #993
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Not the books. Its because big fortified things central to a big organization floating in the middle of space is both a tempting yet hard target to crack, but if you managed to blow it up, it would give you a lot of bad rep, and as a villain, you want that bad rep to make a statement.
To be honest, I'm not sure how much the loss of the Infinite Library would affect the TSAB, who seem to check out information from there only as a last resort.

I've got a few more thoughts on this, after the post-replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
I’ll be waiting for the arrival of the chapters with anticipation. Was this part of the stuff that you were writing before with Rancer and the others? Or is this something different.. I can’t remember.
This is indeed part of Lyrical Babel. The link to the index post is in my sig, although there's no actual story there yet. I've planned out the chapters, and I'll be actually posting said chapters once I finish the current one.

When I said, a long time back, that I had planned out the story and uberplot in great detail, I wasn't kidding. At this point, the only major alterations would be additions, especially if a certain planned chapter is getting too unwieldy in wordcount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Dropping in to throw a random thought.

We all know Jail's backup plan involving making babies that will carry on his mind/memories/will. What if Jail himself is one such child to begin with, and has other "siblings"? Which may explain the scion of Al Hazred in a way, if he is but part of a long line of back-up children aimed at preserving royal personality(?).

One problem I foresee with this idea (other than having the Silver Retriever and/or the Ion Canon breaking it to smittereens) is that why we are thus shown with only Jail himself and not the other scions. Possible answers could be:

1) Jail and his merry brood were not created by the TSAB originally, but was perhaps what we can call a private enterprise. This privacy was invaded by the TSAB, and the brood was scattered, with the High Council securing only Jail.

2) The House of Jail was a TSAB pet project and Jail is the "youngest" member of the lot. His elder siblings proved to be more troublesome than expected and after eliminating these fellows, the High Council decided to keep a very much tighter grip on Jail, who wisely played along.

3)..... Whatever Nighty and Lowe can come up with .
I figure that Jail is just the first one we've seen, and we'll be seeing other Al Hazardian scions in future seasons. As in, they're out there, but the story hasn't had a chance to focus on them yet.

Maybe they're lying low, especially after Jail's very public defeat. Or they're engaged in other enterprises not as megalomaniacal. (Nature vs Nurture, after all.)

Chances are, though, that since Jail is using a long-since extinct civilization's methods to create clones of himself, it's just not cost-effective to mass-produce said clones, not to mention keep them alive and hidden until they're ready.

-

Something which had been percolating in my mind for a while is the question of why the Infinite Library seems so under-utilized in canon. Now, the first possible objection would be that it isn't under-utilized, but the anime focuses on personal interactions and flashy battles, so we don't see the background scenes where everyone consults the Library. Entirely possible, and probably even likely.

Other than that, one reason might be that the TSAB doesn't realize how useful a resource it has. Which would turn into a TSAB bashing fest again, so we'll treat it as a done discussion.

The other possible reason I am looking into is that the TSAB knows how amazing the Library is, but they are consciously not making use of it at every turn, entirely because they do not want to be too dependent on the information from it. If a society has been conditioned that a certain resource is the fount of all knowledge, then it is plausible that in that society, innovation is dead. After all, why come up with something new, when there's an existing design for an analogue that probably works just as well?

Note that this is not a certainty, but merely a possibility. The belief in that possibility, coupled with some persuasive arguments, could have resulted in the TSAB overcompensating the other way. It's a slippery slope argument, but the potential risks may have been enough.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:32   Link #994
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Other than that, one reason might be that the TSAB doesn't realize how useful a resource it has. Which would turn into a TSAB bashing fest again, so we'll treat it as a done discussion.
Lot of organizations or political powers takes things for granted and doesn't realize how some components can be precious before it's too late.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:35   Link #995
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I think I'll just go ahead and not continue this debacle. First steps to settle these debates is not replying to them, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Though Felix would probably tease her mercilessly for her crush.
You sure? Felix never struck me as the teasing type. I'd think he wouldn't give a damn about Tesla's crush on Griffith.

Quote:
Keikakku doori... keikakku doori.... KEIKAKKU DORII! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA-

*Me is tranqed*
That's one down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
Shhh... You wake her.

*hums a lullaby*
Aaaaw

Quote:
Well that's an exaggeration, but he would surely find her to be intensely annoying all the same, and question Teana's sanity for staying around her...
Pity, the scene is endlessly amusing.

Quote:
Well they probably wouldn't hate each other; becasue I mostly see them just not interacting that much as neither of them is what one would really call outgoing IMO, but for rather different reason.
Yeah, well, walking into the same office together, nod, do your work, nod, and leave generally qualifies as getting along in my book.

Though how much does he love blowing up whatever place he has a job at? With my current plans of Tesla having an investigative job that might create a small amount of friction (albeit nothing beyond facepalming level).

Quote:
Yes clearly using real world examples to support points is silly... form now on no Analogys allowed, ever.
Oh, there's nothing wrong with analogies. Just that the American army is hardly what you'd call an accurate comparison to the TSAB, which destabilizes any analogy made.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:36   Link #996
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Lot of organizations or political powers takes things for granted and doesn't realize how some components can be precious before it's too late.
Well, yes. What I meant to say was that the whole "the TSAB sucks at recognizing good stuff" and "the TSAB has no tactics" thing has already been done to death, and I see no point in rehashing the same arguments.

-

My primary complaint about the OC thread(s) in general remains unchanged, since it began: please don't flood the pages with huge pictures, countless Youtube embeds, and words in huge font.

Amusingly, the flaming going on is annoying, but not as annoying as the spam. In the end, it boils down to low signal-to-noise ratios. I am here to discuss Original Characters and their related stories, not wade through people sniping and screaming at each other.

I don't care if people don't like me, as long as my OCs and stories get critiqued and discussed independently of personal feelings.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:39   Link #997
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Part 1: I’m liking the atmosphere that you’ve created for yourself here. Also what’s this, competent males in the TSAB! This is madness Good to see Acous have some love in the fic as well.
Part 2: Nicely written battle sequence This guy is awesome in all accounts. I’m going to have a look at their profiles again once I get the time.
*hands cookies*
*munches cookies*

Thanks!

Madness? This. Is. Cadia.

And Acous is gonna get some more love from me before this is over. I apologize for all gay under/overtones in that statement, they are absolutely groundless.

Ash? He's not powerful as in "ka-boom" powerful, but he's powerful as in "just-as-planned" powerful. Their profiles need a bit of redo-ing, thanks to you if I remember. Not that I'm complaining, that helped me a nice bit. You'll prolly see them on Ghaz's index post. Eventually

Quote:
Cort's writing an AU. Hammer that into your heads everyone. AN AU! Yes I know that the rest of us write OC's (and all other things) following canon. That's no reason to start the flaming. Just ignore the posts instead so that the rest of us can get back to reading the thread in relative peace (well as peaceful as it gets )
Amen, brother. I couldn't have put it any better. Although honestly, I'm very interested to see what this AU has to offer...

Quote:
I don't know what to believe in any more. Seriously how did we handle An Hero? Why did we lose the touch? Or is it because we now have radical elements?
Radical Elements can be suppressed, we're all radical in there somewhere

Quote:
Spoiler for long rant:
I think I'd like to make a very important point here: StrikerS in many ways, like Nanoha in many ways, is representative of an ideal, and so in some ways you can't blame them for being unrealistic. As a matter of fact, I find that in the light of the ideal that Nanoha tries to embody as a series, Comart is actually more accurate! Not that this ideal is bad, I love it for its own idiosyncratic good points.

And on a less important point: First, I think CRIMINAL is a bad word to use in describing our Commander here. It wasn't used by everybody, notably only by a certain cheesehead who ended up with 3 nice red holes in his chest. Second, being a girl is apparently no problem in the TSAB when it comes to command. We have two female Admirals, a female representative for the Saint Church, and a lil' boy for top dog Enforcer of a whole ship. Regius is like token resistance in some sense actually

Lastly, I think we're all stubborn sometimes. Soften your edges a little, it tends to help a great deal when dealing with others. They won't feel so poked and prodded, or worse, stabbed that way.

Anyway, Comart, if ya still/ever/did think I'm a piece of work, then consider this my humble apology to you

Quote:
Touche on the commonsense, Kha. But when more then one person is raising the same point, you really should start taking a closer look at things.

Though another reason is because you're Khracked. Nobody expects you to see things the way we do. [/me pokes]
[Goose has poked Kha for xxxxx EXP]
xxxxx EXP where x = 0, my dear Abare-tan
He's Khracked, but he makes perfect sense to me this time. And I thought I was the one who didn't like Khrack.

Quote:
I still don't really get how my original starting point was so undecipherable; the connections are obvious. RF6 = Special unit; brass dislikes special unit becuase special units disrupt status quo as is human nature, ergo RF6 being wowed and worshipped by everyone makes no sense. Hell even in a group of 20 people or less you're not going to get something like that.

I'll simplify it further: this is something proven by observation by researchers: People do not like it at all when new kids on the block show them up. For the Bureau to be wowed by RF6, even the people who RF6 inadvertandly made to look bad, is unrealistic and counter to human nature.

Show up somebody and they will dislike you, simple as that.
That's the brass. But there's a thing called 'reputation'. In the Art of War, 'reputation', 'morale' and stuff like that, just for the sheer stark realism we seem to need here, is just as important as 'bureaucracy'. And 'reputation' gives you people power. If the brass don't worship them, the people will, I tell you. It's the "ubermesch" concept, the Superman syndrome people get.

This is a.k.a Hero Worship.

Too much politics in this analysis, and too little anthropology. We might need a rethink here. I find the Aces being worshipped for their reputation and stuff plausible, and by extension of this reputation, RF6.

Quote:
Now you know how I feel about talking to you. I have suceeded in inflicting on kha what he has inflicted on me!

*Me cackles madly with the insanity derived from exactly 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours*
Somehow I don't think that's a very nice thing to be glad about

Quote:
Don't worry too much about clarity; some stories write themselves. Five Minutes, forexample, basically only had one scene planned out with clarity: Franz vs Nanoha, Divine Buster vs Divine Buster Extension. Everything else sorta wrote themselves. Hell Psycho/Leena wrote themselves
So much for realism and clarity, where did it go...

I'll go look for them in your closet, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Heart View Post
@ Wild Goose: lolz sometimes when read some fictions, have in them some madness, it make you wonder what the hell or you go all laughing about them.
Just as Planned, Raging Heart, Just as Planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
I guess we only have naked people around it, due yakyuken <.<; >.>;
I BLAME KRISS LANCER!!!!!

Quote:
More or less. And I liked it better before the TSAB showed up. Of course, the fight scenes didn't get really exciting until after Chrono poked his nose into Nanoha's business, so there's a nice little trade-off going from old-school magical girls into this new kind of shonen/magical girl hybrid series. I just wish they could’ve kept the bureaucracy somewhere else where we didn’t have to see it.

Pretty much, but take a look at how they're portrayed in-series.

Take Yuuno for example. The poor guy basically exists as a foil for Nanoha, to bring out and display her character traits in the early part of the show. Firstly there’s his role as the instigator of the whole thing, the pseudo-mentor figure who teaches Nanoha about magic and gives her RH. For the first few episodes, he’s basically nothing but the talking animal sidekick, and every other thing he says is meant to show some quality of Nanoha’s.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, this is all my fault” gives Nanoha the chance to show how willing she is to help out, which is the single biggest difference which separates her from her predecessors. “Oh wow, Nanoha can transform without the incantation” shows what kind of natural skill she has, followed closely by “Holy shit! Divine Buster!” Once Fate and Arf show up, Yuuno has already started to fade into the background, taking the role of a counter to Arf’s presence and keeping Nanoha from getting tag-teamed. From this point onwards, the focus is almost entirely on Nanoha and Fate because Yuuno has served his purpose, something that becomes more and more clear as the series progresses into A’s and StrikerS.

Remember when Nanoha powered down Blaster 4 and RH had cracks running through it and Nanoha could barely walk on her own? That's pretty much what ExCalibur does to Rex. The difference is that there's no permanent damage to his linker core and a few days of simple bedrest--no real medical attention really required, though he'll usually get it anyways--will have him back on his feet and ready for action again.

As for everyone commenting on the timeline problems, particuarly Goose:

I am already in the process of hammering out the problems mentioned with the common sense and brainstorming ways to feasibly get around it. My biggest idea at present is going back to the A’s epilogue and having Hayate join the navy instead of the ground forces, which introduces her to an OC captain who’s basically the TSAB’s version of General George S. Goddamn Patton. Where things go from here is anybody’s guess at the moment, but the most likely situation is something occuring during the timeskip which thrusts the Aces into the public spotlight in a very big and very heroic way. The military may not like the new kids on the block, but so far as the masses are concerned, they may as well be real-life superheroes, and as ATC pointed out to me, public support can be an extremely powerful weapon if it’s used right, especially in the political arena.
Public Support can stand on equal grounds with Politics. The power of a few is petty compared to the power of many. History, too, has proven that many times over, and will continue to do so, I believe.

I'm a real dreamer now

Quote:
I am not your mother, Goose. I don't have to teach you these things. But lately your behavior has been less than satisfactory in the thread, and sorry to declare that as it was with others that I shall not name, I have judged you to be one of the sources of conflict in this thread. I know not of the best method to intervene; my action might cause more bitter reaction than it is now; but I certainly cannot just standby and do nothing. For better or for worse, here I go.

It's over Goose. I have the higher ground; any more struggles will only be worse for us.
You're sounding like...what's that Jedi Master's name? Ah, yes, Obi-wan.

Quote:

Actually, I'd like to scream at you all (for most of those involved) for being such stubborn and hotblooded people. You made Cadia Zwei cry just now...
If I put this into an Anime you'd be a yandere, Aaron, HONESTLY. But I think it suits you

Quote:
Cadia Zwei: <cried herself to sleep>

>.>
:t witch:

*Xena takes up arms against whoever it was who made Cadia-tan cry!*

Quote:
1) Comartemis: Remember one of our conversations about ignoring most comments? It's not very healthy to ignore all of them, though. I am gonna take up a stand to ease up on the flak here. But I want results from you as well. Okay?
Seconded, and I think justifiably so. I'm actually looking forward to your AU. Call us if you need us

Quote:
That's it. The report buttons have never looked so appealing to press right now.-_-

Really, do people have to keep making life difficult for everyone? Coma, listen a bit more, please. Hopefully, they would be less scathing now. And you don't have to follow everything, you just need to receive them at a calmer way. Goose, I said what I wanted. Now, if you wanna continue this argument with your attitude further, let us talk in PM or IRC. NOT HERE.

Meeting adjourned. Any further unneeded arguments will be taken to PM's or IRC. No buts.
My view?

Less Noise. More Action. From Everyone.

Quote:
*hugs and cries with Cadia Zwei*

T_T

Damn I can't sleep... So much left unsaid, so many poisonous selfish thoughts...

EDIT: *looks below*

And so many spectators...
Who'd wanna watch you cry? Go weep in a corner with Anita or something already...

*Xena looks at Kha...*

Oh, alright. Have a tissue, Kleriker.

*me pats Kha on the back*

EDIT:

ARRRR!!!!

Everyone ninja'd me like HELL while I was typing.

Sigh, I need to type long-posts fasta...

*hangs head*
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 13:03   Link #998
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I was going to make a post and all but I'm tired and I'm rather annoyed that I wasted 2 hours of sleep time following this. I would say more but I'm too tired.

Quote:
If you'd be so kind as to take a quick glance a few posts up, Aaron, you'll see that I'm already taking the given opinions into account.

Goose and TK are right to an extent, handwaving the bureacracy and acting like it doesn't exist isn't going to work. All I'm trying to do is put it in another room and let the Aces deal with situations as they appear without worrying overmuch about how this or that is going to affect their political standings. Basically the worst you're probably going to see is Hayate griping about orders from her superiors, just like how in StrikerS Regius's "examination" or whatever he was trying to do wasn't shown on screen.
This is a pretty reasonable way to go about it. You don't have to show it in the fullest, but it'd be best if you show how the bureaucracy affects the aces - it can be something as simple as an annoying clerk who makes life hell for them, whom they have to charm into getting them to sign off on their paperwork for. (This happens a lot more times that you would expect on military bases. )

Quote:
It may exist but it will not be a focus of the story and I'm sorry but that's not going to change. I sincerely doubt my ability to write a believable military/political thriller like a Tom Clancy wannabe and frankly I'm not really interested in doing so in the first place.
Hell, I don;t write political intrigue myself. I just take a look and try to see the repercussions from all angles - you're never going to get rid of the politics, but you can leave it as a secondary focus.

Quote:
@Coma: That's it. Now, wanna watch with us and see if the other side complies?

And no, you don't have to write like Tom Clancy.XD That's unreasonable imposition already!
The other side is already complying, Aaron. He was already complying when you deployed your breaker missile spam from your VF-22S painted in the white and black Hayate Yagami colors.

And no, you do not need to write like Tom Clancy. John Ringo, on the other hand.... Just kidding. Or Am I?

@Xena: When I said girl, I was referring to the fact that Hayatechans is still a 19-year old teenaged girl, while our two admirals are All Woman And Then Some. And Human Nature remains the same in anime or real life or fanfic. And where did the reason and clarity go? I set it aside to try and be nice, ah well it must be placed on again.

@Kha: Remember that the higher ground makes you a better target. And don't be so quick to dismiss me, brother. I am you. You are I. We are the same. I am the soldier. You are the prisoner. Who is the soldier? Who is the prisoner? You are I. The prisoner Am I. The soldier are you. We are one. Who is the Soldier? Who is the Prisoner? Who is Kha? Who is Goose? nn jmhbvcbxnk,kc vrx m,xgSDGFtn dBhSHBnjmmjgxzst

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 13:14   Link #999
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:

Actually, I'd like to scream at you all (for most of those involved) for being such stubborn and hotblooded people. You made Cadia Zwei cry just now...

Cadia Zwei: <cried herself to sleep>

>.>

-rant after that-
Quote:
Aww~...

Seeing a happy family makes me feel better already.
Somehow I have now the impression that Aaron is one of those nice, cute characters who, when they explode, are so scray that you shit your pants...
Old 2008-06-07, 13:36   Link #1000
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I think I'll just go ahead and not continue this debacle. First steps to settle these debates is not replying to them, after all.
Quite I'll admit I had some part in this when I flipped on Coma in IRC the other night, but there was probably some miscommunication going on he seemed to want to get rid of the TSAB very throughly like treat it like it didn't exist. That was a bit too much for me to take, but I probably let some pent up rage slip in that shouldn't have so yeah I apologize for some of my anger last night in IRC though I don't feel my position as a whole was in error.

Quote:
You sure? Felix never struck me as the teasing type. I'd think he wouldn't give a damn about Tesla's crush on Griffith.
He’d use it probably only if he a reason to IE to try and get even over something or to counter teasing directed at him, but yeah teasing in general isn’t really his thing straight out smack talk is more down his alley; at least if he can get away with it.

Quote:
Pity, the scene is endlessly amusing.
A lesser version is entirely possible and I can also easily see him say getting fed up and dragging her out back to totally wail on her in the interest of "training" and her thinking it was like the most fun thing ever or something for instance. Basically though she’d probably remind him entirely too much of a female version of Alan eliciting something to the effect of an “Oh god another one!” reaction…

Quote:
Yeah, well, walking into the same office together, nod, do your work, nod, and leave generally qualifies as getting along in my book.
True, but I was thinking more like getting along as friends not like getting along as in vaugely acknowledging each other existence and then going about there own business.

Quote:
Though how much does he love blowing up whatever place he has a job at? With my current plans of Tesla having an investigative job that might create a small amount of friction (albeit nothing beyond facepalming level).
The less shooting involved for him to get his paycheck the better in his opinion, and he’s worked allot of jobs that didn’t involve it at all. He was a reasonably active private investigator for the better part of a decade before StrikerS after all and he also worked more general security jobs and did some consulting and such. He’s experienced enough to know that shooting first and asking questions later is often the worse way to solve a problem and act accordingly… usually. This can break down somewhat if he has a grudge of personal stake in the matter at hand though.

In some ways his approach to his work is sort of based a bit on a sort of a theme from Appleseed manga (or at least how I took it). Namely that you can get swept up and so involved in something almost by accident that even if you later want to leave you can't because you've got no where else to go in that case and this one that world is the military/mercenary world. Basically he often rather dislikes many aspects of his job, but its basiclly the only thing he’s good enough at to make a living off of. Acutally he’s really good at it and yet he still often hates it...

Quote:
Oh, there's nothing wrong with analogies. Just that the American army is hardly what you'd call an accurate comparison to the TSAB, which destabilizes any analogy made.
It's more an army thing in general really... Acutally it almost works better after all the US army is one of the most competent on the planet and it STILL has idiots like this running around. Just think what it's like in the former USSR or Africa...

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content