Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 23:37   Link #2361
Raincollie
A certain collie of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
That's certainly a possibility too.

White though is only natural at old age though so I'm not sure this really is an example that goes against unnatural non-human hair colors being "normal" for a human rather than Coralian related.
I think what he's trying to say (please correct me if I'm wrong, morbos) is that Humanoid Coralians 'can be created' with appearances of random human ages.
You have to remember that both Eureka and Sakuya have appeared as teenage girls, instead of being born as babies, and had the physical features of teenage girls (not that I'm an expert :| ) right off the bat.

Quote:
Good question. I was thinking about this too, shouldn't it atleast be slower? I was thinking about this on and off ever since I saw some comments that Naru looks older than him even though they're supposed to be the same age
If it's true that he ages a tiny little bit slower than Naru and any other human when it comes to appearance, there's got to be some difference personality-wise. In terms of human aging and years, he's 12-13 years old during the series, but so far he's been presented as much more mature than that. This is a bit confusing. :|
Also, there might be a few months' difference between the two, or even a year. I mean, sure, they study (or were supposed to study, at least, had the series' events never occurred) in the same year of school, but that's not necessarily an indication. For instance, one of my classmates is older than me by a year and 4 months, and there's another student who's younger than me by 3 months. That's more than a year and a half of a difference. Even if they weren't in the same year, age-appearance relationships can be deceiving sometimes.
Don't take it the wrong way, though- I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just presenting the possibilities.

Last edited by Raincollie; 2012-09-21 at 23:50.
Raincollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 23:46   Link #2362
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Genetically, Ao seems to be predominantly human, and only recently started showing off more than the eyes. This is probably why he ages normally even though his mother does not.
Old 2012-09-21, 23:49   Link #2363
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincollie View Post
I think what he's trying to say (please correct me if I'm wrong, morbos) is that Humanoid Coralians 'can be created' with appearances of random human ages.
You have to remember that both Eureka and Sakuya have appeared as teenage girls, instead of being born as babies.

If it's true that he ages a tiny little bit slower than Naru and any other human when it comes to appearance, there's got to be some difference personality-wise. In terms of human aging and years, he's 12-13 years old during the series, but so far he's been presented as much more mature than that. This is a bit confusing. :|
Also, there might be a few months' difference between the two, or even a year. I mean, sure, they study (or were supposed to study, at least, had the series' events never occurred) in the same year of school, but one of my classmates is older than me by a year and 4 months. Even if they weren't in the same year, age-appearance relationships can be deceiving sometimes.
Don't take it the wrong way, though- I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just presenting the possibilities.
Yeah, I edited to fix that, I agree I certainly think it's possible they created him "old".

I just saw a couple of comments on it, I'm not sure if I can really tell as it's not particularly overt/extreme. I'm not sure if Ao's personality growth is that or if it's due to his childhood, given what we saw I would not be surprised if he "grew up" quickly and quicker than Naru.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 23:56   Link #2364
Raincollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Genetically, Ao seems to be predominantly human, and only recently started showing off more than the eyes. This is probably why he ages normally even though his mother does not.
So it's pretty much like the Goku-Gohan case, only that this time our 'Goku' is a female character. Seems fair, I guess. She'll get to see a lot of generations by the time she's gone.

Quote:
Yeah, I edited to fix that, I agree I certainly think it's possible they created him "old".

Oh I'm not saying I can tell if he's aging slower or not, it's not particularly overt and I'm not sure if Ao's personality growth is that or if it's due to his childhood, given what we saw I would not be surprised if he "grew up" quickly and quicker than Naru.
I would say both Ao and Naru had some events in their childhood(s) that could cause them to mature a little bit quicker, if that's what you mean, but surely Ao has suffered more mistreatment.

If it's not, then could you please elaborate?
Old 2012-09-22, 00:07   Link #2365
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincollie View Post
I would say both Ao and Naru had some events in their childhood(s) that could cause them to mature a little bit quicker, if that's what you mean, but surely Ao has suffered more mistreatment.

If it's not, then could you please elaborate?
That's exactly what I meant. Behavior wise I think Ao's mature for his age, but I don't think there's any proof that it has anything to do with his genetics. Like we both said, I think it can easily be attributed to his childhood/mistreatment.

Edit: I should have just not brought up the other poster's point of view and just said that I think he's aging like a normal human. It made my post more confusing, but I was trying to give some poster the benefit that I agreed that Naru visually perhaps looks a "teeny, tiny bit" older than Ao, but not in any big way and therefore probably mostly unimportant. They look generally the same age to me.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-09-22 at 04:40.
Old 2012-09-22, 00:15   Link #2366
Justin_Brett

Since Gonzy appeared as an old man, and Humanoid Coralians don't age, it's probably safe to say white was his hair color the whole time, really.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:32   Link #2367
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Since Gonzy appeared as an old man, and Humanoid Coralians don't age, it's probably safe to say white was his hair color the whole time, really.
Well, I think the "real" answer is that if Bones had given Gonzy pastel hair everyone watching the series would have assumed he was Coralian. The reveal at the end wouldn't work if his hair looked unnatural. Since he appeared as an old man, his hair had to be white.

Interestingly, with Elena Bones did the opposite. They gave her pastel hair to make the viewer think she is part-Coralian, but then revealed that she is in fact human.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:46   Link #2368
Justin_Brett

And it worked there because he was a minor character, so you didn't expect that from him at all. Doing the opposite and revealing that a main character is less than they appeared isn't quite the same thing.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 02:40   Link #2369
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

I really don't know where this show is going. Ep 21 main objective was to show where "everyone" is in this time. But i didn't found it interesting.

The "Elena is from the past" was, in Elenas words, boring. I mean, i wanted her to be Ao's sister. Really, that would have been nice. But anyways, maybe Eureka is really Eureka Jr.? So Ao is really the grandson of the original Eureka, who had a daughter named as Eureka too? (and slept with Renton too?)

The only way to put a really shocking twist right now is if Renton uses the Scub as a trash disposal system for it's timeline/world. Really, i'm amazed about the quantity of garbage inside the Scub Coral.
Old 2012-09-22, 04:33   Link #2370
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well it's nice that Elena finally came to terms with herself (and I actually really enjoyed it too) but I hope they don't just forget about the whole murder thing because that still needs addressing.

I love how the geopolitics was developed though. It's great to see an anime that focuses so much on other aspects of politics like the diplomacy and the activism.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 05:35   Link #2371
ReddyRedWolf

One thing made sense why that Secret attacked anything humanoid. Secrets themselves jumps through space and time like Eureka.

Since humanoid Secrets starts attacking other Secrets, humanoid forms got tagged as hostile.

LOL At Eureka embarrassed at what she and Renton did to the Moon.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 06:35   Link #2372
KeithKurogane
Recorder of World Lines

I laughed at the 'I want to be with you' scene...
Seriously Ao, you dense blockhead.
Old 2012-09-22, 10:25   Link #2373
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithKurogane View Post
I laughed at the 'I want to be with you' scene...
Seriously Ao, you dense blockhead.
Elena's facial expression was just hilarious. That was some hardcore friendzoning on Ao's part.
Old 2012-09-22, 13:44   Link #2374
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Getting off the subject of Elena for a moment:

1. I always though Goldilocks was younger/smaller compared to Pied Piper (and Harlequin), but Maggie could be around the same age as Elena. She is certainly significantly taller than Elena.

2. Ao called out Maggie's name this episode, even though they did not meet back in episode 18. I wonder if anything will come of that.
Old 2012-09-22, 13:57   Link #2375
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
1. I always though Goldilocks was younger/smaller compared to Pied Piper (and Harlequin), but Maggie could be around the same age as Elena. She is certainly significantly taller than Elena.

2. Ao called out Maggie's name this episode, even though they did not meet back in episode 18. I wonder if anything will come of that.
That's true, I don't think we ever heard her age did we. I think you're right about that.

Yeah, with Ao being the only one to remember her old life (and recognizing her over the comm) and Maggie retaining some memories, I hope something does come of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Elena's facial expression was just hilarious. That was some hardcore friendzoning on Ao's part.
Yeah, you could tell that those thoughts were exactly what was going through Elena's head with those expressions too, so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
LOL At Eureka embarrassed at what she and Renton did to the Moon.
This. LOL, loved that moment.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-09-22 at 14:16.
Old 2012-09-22, 14:52   Link #2376
sikvod00

Haha. I looked back at that fake confession scene with Elena, and her helmet also mimicked her expression.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:57   Link #2377
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Maggie, if anything, is probably the oldest of them.

Quote:
It makes sense that he'd recognize her voice.
Old 2012-09-22, 20:15   Link #2378
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for Jungfrau no Hanabanatachi ova:
Old 2012-09-22, 20:50   Link #2379
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

For the twentieth episode, Christophe's will permeated this episode.

Spoiler:

It is difficult to discern how Ao will fare when he'll cross paths again with former comrades, but I got a feeling that Mama Hannah surrendering Team Harlequin to the Allied Forces was a choice made to give Pied Piper time and leverage.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:56   Link #2380
Raincollie

Regardless of any recent development in the series, I have a general question to you guys/gals (if there are any here):
What kinds of characters that existed in Psalms of Planets do you guys find the series lacking, and that would really contribute to it?

I personally think this show needed a Stoner; a somewhat aloof dude who can philosophically blabber about anything, including events in the series (PoP episode 14). Also, the difference between Renton and Ao, where as we always heard Renton's thoughts aloud, while Ao never shared anything with us, is quite bold and notable. I can relate much less to Ao than to Renton simply because we are not fully aware of his feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for Jungfrau no Hanabanatachi ova:
Is that Game-Ova hybrid disc out yet? I can't seem to find a source in English that says anything about it, and I don't know Japanese yet.

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen