Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-06, 19:36   Link #1
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
Scare me to death please.

It's the month of terror, I need some good horror to keep me from sleeping!

Here's a list of games, manga, and anime I have ALREADY seen or plan to see/play

Higurashi
Umineko
Saya no Uta
Hellsing
Paranoia Agent
Kakurenbo
Pet Shop of Horrors
Death Note (does this count?)
Ookami Kakushi

I need ANYTHING that is horror related that can scare me!
EDIT: Forgot to clarify, anime, games, manga, live action j-horror, books, ANYTHING literally. DON'T HOLD BACK.

Last edited by Bane Rieko; 2010-10-06 at 20:52.
Old 2010-10-06, 19:48   Link #2
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Shiki - Will defiantly get you the scary thoughts of vampires near your room looking at you thats what it made me feel in the first few episodes.
Old 2010-10-06, 19:58   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

Perfect Blue- by the same guy who made Paranoia Agent, the recently deceased Satoshi Kon. A very creepy and unnerving psychological horror piece. It does a great job of putting the audience into heroine Mima's shoes in the way it portrays Mima's increasing inablity to tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

For manga, pretty much anything written by Junji Ito.

The Enigma of Amigara Fault is one of the most well known works of his, partially due to memetic mutation, but if you're claustrophobic this will likely creep you out.
Old 2010-10-06, 21:57   Link #4
jedinat

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Old 2010-10-07, 02:23   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai.
Old 2010-10-07, 06:37   Link #6
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Blood + I recommend that.
Old 2010-10-07, 13:54   Link #7
TCman

Have you ever watched the live-action movie the Eye. To me it's pretty scary, and it did feel different to other horror movies like the Ringu (not the Hollywood remake) which is another recommendation if you haven't watched it yet. There are two sequels to the Eye, but I have never watched them, so I do not know whether they are good or not.

As for anime, well, in my opinion the horror genre does not really work here, at least not for me, the more scarier stuff I had watched was Devilman movies, but that was way back in the past, but again it's more the gore and the ultra violence in the movie that made it scary. I guess these movies are kind of too old (technically) for current viewers, although the last (3rd) movie still look decent in terms of animation and so on.

I can recommend the anime series Gakkou no Kaidan and Mokke which are quite interesting and really enjoyable; some episodes are kind of scary.
Old 2010-10-07, 14:28   Link #8
signorRossi

Shigurui is scary to some extent, with the manga having more 'story', or better said having more 'insanity'.
Old 2010-10-07, 17:09   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I second that Amnesia game. I haven't played it though, but that trailer already .. well, best see for yourself. If you do check this game out, then also check the previous game by the same people who made this game .. Penumbra.

And that Enigma manga thingy ... that was really disturbing and it still comes to haunt me sometimes when I try to sleep
Old 2010-10-07, 21:58   Link #10
Cellatore
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I can't recommend this game enough for getting scared. I got freaked out within the first 20 minutes.
Old 2010-10-08, 18:36   Link #11
4Tran

The only anime that I've found creepy enough to be considered scary are Perfect Blue and Ghost Hunt. I'm a bit surprised that the latter hasn't been mentioned, but it's basically an anime version of a psychic investigation show. The cast investigate different reports of ghost hauntings, and fend against the ghosts as they can.

Shiki is written by the same original writer of Ghost Hunt, and it's looking pretty promising as well. It's still ongoing, so it shouldn't be too hard to catch up with the rest of us.
Old 2010-10-08, 19:53   Link #12
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I second shiki it does very well having those edgy moments which should scare you

For games, i would say Dead Space it is excellent a very scary game. Though its not really a anime game, still doesn't mean you wont get scared :P
I have also watched the dead space animated film which to be honest didn't scare me at all, was a good watch still.
Old 2010-10-09, 00:41   Link #13
Kelis

I second Ghost Hunt. It isn't too scary in the beginning, but it definitely becomes better in the later episodes.
Old 2010-10-10, 07:46   Link #14
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Ghost Hunt probably isn't recommended because it's not actually scary ... far from it. Yeah sure, they investigate ghost cases and stuff, but none of those cases are scary .. so yeah.
Old 2010-10-10, 11:37   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ghost Hound has some wonderfully scary moments. They definitely fall into the "creepy" school of scary - there isn't a lot of violence or gore here, but great psychological unease, suspense and some frightening visual surprises.
Old 2010-10-10, 14:38   Link #16
Coruja

The Chaos;Head visual novel. Definitely.

And I fourth the Shiki recommendation.
Old 2010-10-11, 01:31   Link #17
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Maybe Monster will fit your desire! It's not really a scary anime; it's a thriller so we have some moments of thrill/scare.

Monster is a masterpiece .
Old 2010-10-11, 21:10   Link #18
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I suggest playing Fatal Frame II - Crimson Butterfly. It felt great playing at a sleepover at night, in the basement, alone. It might not be scary, but it's a nice game nonetheless.

Gotta love the announcer. "Twin sisters have found themselves trapped in... THE LOST VILLAGE!!!!"

I'll be checking back at this thread often. Looking for something that'd scare the bajeebers out of me (and my friends, bwahahaha)
Old 2010-10-12, 00:08   Link #19
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The game F.E.A.R is scary Ive heard, dont know myself but I know Ive had a few friends say the girl scared them. Shiki and Ghost Hunt have been mentioned and I agree with those. Id give xxxHolic a try. Not incredibly scary but several of the stories made the hair on my neck stand up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist
Ghost Hunt probably isn't recommended because it's not actually scary
Depends on what scares you. I hate dolls so......
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-10-12, 06:42   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Jigoku shoujo (Season 1)

Movies: Pretty much all the SAW movies, Mirrors 1&2, Final destination 1.

Games: DARKSEED. Playing this game will drive you to the brink of insanity and terror.
Closed Thread