AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-09, 21:35   Link #3881
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

So I recall, a long time ago coming to this forum not expecting to talk about the love-triangle. Oh no, I was actually expecting to talk about things blowing up...

Then I was introduced to this new vocabulary known as shipping... which I initially thought had to do either with UPS, FEDEX or the Post Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma-Rii View Post
Simple. It is not the economically profitable couple.
No, not really, its not simple. When Ranka's Kira gig debuted, the Japanese BBS, including the official site, went crazy and devoted every waking moment into making her gestures an internet phenomenon. She also made it to the New Type polls, which Sheryl did not until much later. It was very difficult to say then who was more popular and/or 'economically profitable'.

But for older fans and a majority of Doujin-Circles, it was another story.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-09-09 at 22:28.
Old 2012-09-09, 21:53   Link #3882
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

^ Please don't stop there, you can continue by revealing how you then barged straight to the frontlines and became one of the ship's most vocal representatives.

And on the love triangle itself, it was as Westlo puts it, game, set and match. The shipping battle was intense, but it's worth it, because we waited two years for an answer we already knew was gonna come since the TV series.

(Then the aftermath Arusherri shipping bits start to flow out, and I'm like, ah, romance is good.)

Anyway, if possible, I'd like to encourage people to move on and get past redundant arguments because it's highly likely no one's going to change their minds. In fact, let me suggest to make better use of your time by joining me to be a missionary, as I'm going to be one and change the world.

~Cheesie, running off to Africa
Old 2012-09-10, 00:19   Link #3883
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

You know I pity the dead horse.

There's nothing wrong with fanon. Go ahead, indulge. I myself have a lot of fanon ships. But it's pointless argument to say things that are different from what Kawamori and co have cemented, and hell even the new materials haven't been helping the A/R front. In fact, it's only just confirming Alto and Sheryl over and over...

In other words, accepting the conclusion is the best way to enjoy what you like, rather than constant denials and hissy fits over characters that don't exist (and in the experience of this board, making things up just to validate one's self).

The movie, soundtrack and new stuff should have made it clear. It's over.

The ciiiiiiiircle of liiiiife..!!

...and on the discussion of Ranka NOT being profitable? That's pretty laughable considering she had all the qualities that pandered to most fans. *coughlolimoe*

Last edited by raile; 2012-09-10 at 00:35.
Old 2012-09-10, 00:36   Link #3884
Ozuma-Rii
Heya~ I am a Ranka-addict

Oh, I'll type a better argument later I on.
And whoever said she was not a loli should be shot.

However, it is the personality that sets her apart from those fanservice characters I see.

If only the Hime and Loli brigade were here...
Old 2012-09-10, 01:43   Link #3885
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma-Rii View Post
However, it is the personality that sets her apart from those fanservice characters I see.
I think its better to argue why her personality captured your attention as opposed to claiming outright that she is apart from those fanservice characters.

Because, well... Ranka was fanservice, an overdone one at that, even within the show. In fact, the more I think about it, its possibly an indirect way for Kawamori to completely mock the otaku community.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-09-10, 01:58   Link #3886
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think its better to argue why her personality captured your attention as opposed to claiming outright that she is apart from those fanservice characters.

Because, well... Ranka was fanservice, an overdone one at that, even within the show. In fact, the more I think about it, its possibly an indirect way for Kawamori to completely mock the otaku community.
Just as Crusader said.
Old 2012-09-10, 02:01   Link #3887
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And again...

I am NOT him!

For reals!!

- Tak

Old 2012-09-10, 02:13   Link #3888
magnuskn

Yeaaaah, the similarities have been kinda strange over the years.
Old 2012-09-14, 05:25   Link #3889
Westlo
Lets be reality

I honestly think Kawamori failed with Ranka, she was a popular character but I don't think she quite hit the heights that they would've hoped for. If she was suppose to be Minmei mark 2 she was well short of that, I felt the Ranka they had @ the start was along the right direction but they just mismanaged it.
Old 2012-09-14, 06:46   Link #3890
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Couldn't agree more.

Old 2012-09-14, 06:53   Link #3891
magnuskn

They build her up nicely up until episode 14... and then they faceplanted her. It's a very interesting question if they did it unwittingly or with intent.

Wait, this here is the movie thread.

Errr, and then they pulled a good redemption in the movie.
Old 2012-09-14, 20:44   Link #3892
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

I actually felt some Minmei vibes in the second movie when Sheryl sang; it felt a bit like DYRL's scene with Minmei choosing to sing. You can interpret that as you will but it felt nostalgic.
Old 2012-09-16, 11:09   Link #3893
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I actually felt some Minmei vibes in the second movie when Sheryl sang; it felt a bit like DYRL's scene with Minmei choosing to sing. You can interpret that as you will but it felt nostalgic.
Really? I got that feeling from Ranka. Sheryl to me felt like Basara.
Old 2012-09-16, 15:37   Link #3894
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

It was the mood left behind in the scene where she decides to sing for everyone including herself. Of course Grace being there to inspire her to do so was a reflection of Hikaru without the slap. It depends on how you see it. But there is not a similar scene in M7 that I can think of where Basara decided to sing for everyone including himself, as he was more about "listen to my song" only. Meanwhile, Sheryl sang for Alto, Ranka, and the rest of Frontier in that final fight. Big difference.
Old 2012-11-17, 06:23   Link #3895
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

What a movie! And what a ending! I prefer this over the series! This was most definitely the icing on the cake of my marathon of the franchise!

Alto, finally coming to terms with his past and finally choosing his love, Sheryls and Rankas final performace together, Micheal surviving...too many highlights to pick from. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

However, with the conclusion of this movie, I've come to the sad realization that my month long marathon is now finally come to an end. I know, there's still the FB7 movie, but I WANT MOAR!!!!

Welp, till the next iteration of Macross, remember weather in space or in the sky, anywhere can be your stage.
Old 2012-11-17, 12:57   Link #3896
magnuskn

I still prefer the series.
Old 2012-11-17, 16:01   Link #3897
Alchemist007
*Author

The movies are a nice icing/cherry on the cake that is the series.
Old 2013-03-23, 14:09   Link #3898
akron88

So, I watched the TV series when it came out, didn't really have any impact on me (so no, no shipping), and then watched yesterday the movies (not having known any spoilers or so since I wasn't really involved in any forums about it).

It's a funny thing, really. When I saw the TV series, I thought the execution of the triangle was idealistically for naught, at a forgettable pace and absence of believable consequences; the ending was, to say the least, disappointing. It was "happy" but didn't resolve the triangle (and I never really bought the built-up existence of that triangle at the end, when Sheryl had already slept with Alto and so on). So I disliked it, to be honest. A lot.

The movies, I enjoyed a lot more. The "ride" was, well, obviously shorter than 25 episodes but I felt it was better done, to the point, and not leaving anything important outside (of what you expect would be the timeframe of 2 movies), so in my mind they fulfilled the purpose of them movies really standing up on their own. Hell, I was actually interested in the whole plot, not just the relationships!

The ending was, yes, bittersweet. But better, much better than TV series for me; however I'd agree with some opinions on this thread regarding what I'd consider lazyness on part of the creator. On the one hand, I'd say I too was wishing for a more "in your face" conclusion and not so much a "glimmer of hope/who knows/maybe/could-be?" conclusion, but then, I guess the creator trying to appease some enraged crowd
Spoiler:

I'm sorry but that for me is like a cardinal sin. You don't do an ending, flawed as it may be (or missing things), then talk about the "real" ending. The medium (in this case, the movie) should always stand on its own; if what he said there was what obviously happened then ****, put in in the movie! either you go for the (in my opinion, overused and overrated) "it's for you/audience to figure out yourself/ves" or actually do an adequate "things answered" ending. But this... argh

By reading a bit around here, I've gotten to know the peculiar meaning of the word "canon" in this Macross universe (of which I haven't seen anything outside Frontier); I wouldn't go and say this Kawamori guy is a "troll" in regards to things like which medium has the priority and the (IMO) lazy -and not well thought- endings; I'd say he's actually like almost anyone else, not a perfect story-maker with flaws in conscise points (if I'm to believe what I've read on his other works, they tend to have similar points of discussion and debate).

All in all however, the movies were a much, much better product than what I remember TV series were, and though flawed (as I've pointed here) I'd still say they were a nice entertainment effort! As per Macross universe distinct set of "canon" rules I'll take these as the real story!

Let me know your thoughts! (even though I'm a bit late to this party )
Old 2013-03-23, 16:11   Link #3899
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I caught on to the earrings twinkling pretty early on in the series and whenever I do a rewatch, or rewatch scenes I keep my eyes open for them, so when spoilers came out for the ending with what Ranka says, Sheryl's lips moving to Hoshi Kira and the earring, I figured everything would wrap up nicely, even if we don't get to see it. After actually watching the movie, I felt even more certain, and while I'm happy about the interview, I always had a postive feeling towards the ending. I got my wedding scene in Kiss in the Galaxy anyway, so I won't complain. It's also very, very interesting how the scenes during the credits with Hoshi Kira play out, they are not in chronological order. I don't know if this is what Kawamori meant, that hints are in the credits, but my guess is yes, there are very strong hints in how those scenes follow one another.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movies! I agree that neither the series or the movies are without flaws, though what these flaws are, we would probably disagree, but I love them anyway.
Old 2013-03-24, 00:27   Link #3900
wisteria233

After re-watching both the movies and the tv series, I gotta say, the tv series drags it's feet a lot, it takes way way too long for it to make its reveals, and by the time it does, its no longer a surprise. Then by the time it gets to the end it ends up needing more time to show the show becomes rushed.

The movies on the other hand had the opposite problem, it was at times an information dump as the movies had to fully utilize all of its time in order to tell the story, and what comes out is a movie that feels somewhat rushed.

So I guess the question is this, if you had a choice to see the movies as the tv series and the tv series as ywo movies woud you like the movie script more?
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song