AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 12 22.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 30.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 41.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-26, 15:20   Link #21
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyta View Post
I can't keep up with all of the new colonies. I tried watching it a few more times and still didn't understand who was on what side. Now I know the Giant Hornets and the Robber Fly, but all the others and their position left me confused. Can someone please explain the war for me?
I had the same issue really. But I think the main point is, that they are fighting for power and once the rats get it settled among themselves, guess who will be their next target?

This anime is interesting, although at times it feels a bit random. Like the gay and lesbian pair up..... it didnt really fit in, if you ask me. Then Maria was in love with Saki obviously, but decided to run away with Mamoru. It left me perlexed .... and there have been a few more instances where I didnt really understand the purpose of the scene.
Old 2013-01-26, 16:48   Link #22
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Were those just ordinary sunglasses Saki was wearing, or do they have some sort of special power? It wasn't obvious at all from watching the episode why she was wearing them.
Well the red tinted glasses do protect her from the hypnotic effect of the fake mashimoro (sp?) besides that there's nothing special about them.
Old 2013-01-26, 17:41   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyta View Post
I can't keep up with all of the new colonies. I tried watching it a few more times and still didn't understand who was on what side. Now I know the Giant Hornets and the Robber Fly, but all the others and their position left me confused. Can someone please explain the war for me?
This all started with the Spider Wasps and the Goat Moth colonies. The Goat Moths, presumably allied with the Robber flies/Yakomaru (though he denied it) attacked the Spider Wasps, allied with the Giant Hornets by surprise. This led to Kiroumaru waging war on Yakomaru's alliance in retaliation.

Then two battles took place:

- Giant Hornets vs the alliance minus the Robber Flies which were mysteriously absent. This ended in the Giant Hornets' victory.
- Spider Wasps vs Goat Moths. The Spider Wasps inexplicably allied with the Goat moths and crushed the Giant hornets that came to support them.

Then later on, we find out the Giant Hornets have been annihilated, most likely by the Robber flies' main force.

From this, we can surmise the Spider Wasps and the Goat Moths were allies of the Robber Flies all along, and that their previous conflict was nothing more than a big sham to force Kiroumaru to instigate a war. This gave Yakomaru the perfect excuse to wipe the Giant Hornets off the map.
Old 2013-01-26, 19:02   Link #24
Byakou

I had to watch the ep twice to figure out who was who with all the weird colony names. Didn't pay attention to them before haha. That queerat leader is a sneaky one, he's definitively planning something. He must of sneakily gotten the spider colony on his side, stage an attack to have an excuse for war, then use all of his momoshiro-obtained tech to annihilated the hornets.
Old 2013-01-26, 19:14   Link #25
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
This anime is interesting, although at times it feels a bit random. Like the gay and lesbian pair up..... it didnt really fit in, if you ask me. Then Maria was in love with Saki obviously, but decided to run away with Mamoru. It left me perlexed .... and there have been a few more instances where I didnt really understand the purpose of the scene.
Isn't it because you are thinking from the perspective of our own society, rather than theirs? If it's happening on such a widespread scale, then clearly it makes sense within their own commu.

Old 2013-01-26, 20:51   Link #26
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They apparently had a little falling out over something insignificant, I'm glad they made up already. They ought to stick together.
I wonder what the issue was that temporarily drove them apart.

Did Satoru unthinkingly say something dumb and insensitive that pissed Saki off?
Did Satoru make a bad comment about Maria or Mamoru?
Did Satoru and Saki have a disagreement about whether their village's harsh methods of ensuring peace were justified or not?
Did Satoru take the last Sun Drop from the refrigerator?

It was interesting that Saki was so petty and childish whenever they first met up, over an issue that wasn't all too important. That display almost makes it seem as though Saki might be less mature in a way than she was as a child... maybe she's kind of broken down and worn out from her traumatic adolescence. It would be a small miracle if Saki didn't develop PTSD from the events of the first sixteen episodes.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:48   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yakomaru talks a very good game, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the humans never saw through his act. This is especially true of Saki, who really ought to know better given her past experience with Yakomaru.

The humans not getting actively involved in this massive Queerat War may well be a choice that comes back to haunt them.

I really enjoyed the big meeting scene, including Yakomaru's part. Good to see some colorful personalities amongst the top humans there. That one guy with the mask on gives me a bit of a superhero vibe (I think he's the guy that was claimed to be able to split the world in half, is that correct?). I also was amused by how that muscular, moustached guy gave me vibes of him just itching for a big war. He made me think of somebody out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, lol.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:52   Link #28
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

The new ending is quite nice, but it places a lot of emphasis on Maria. From it, I would assume that Maria is going to be a very large part of the rest of the series, but my impression from people who have seen the story before is that she isn't, at least to that extent. The song is nice, and the pictures are really very pretty. It doesn't have the same level of style as the first ending, though. That one suited the show perfectly.

I think Saki was in the ending sequence at one point. There's one scene where the person shown has brown hair rather than red hair. There was also an image of somebody with short hair curled up - maybe Mamoru, or maybe a kid? It looked a bit small to be an adult man, but not curvy enough to be an adult woman.

Anyway, going by this ep, it's now it's fairly clear that the Queerats evolved from naked mole rats.

I'd been expecting Saki and Satoru to be an established couple by now. Interesting that they fell out some time ago, but it's cute that they were looking for a chance to be friends again and the conflict wasn't dragged out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Well the red tinted glasses do protect her from the hypnotic effect of the fake mashimoro (sp?) besides that there's nothing special about them.
Hmm. You know, if Yakomaru's group managed to find a Minoshiro, they might have been able to duplicate its hypnotic effect in some way. It would be an effective anti-human weapon. (And if the Queerats also had an actual human bypassing the death feedback on their side, the humans would be in so, so much trouble.)

I was a bit surprised that Saki didn't go all "Don't trust that lying Yakomaru!" towards anyone who would listen. And she's the one who says she was the most suspicious of the Queerats.
Old 2013-01-26, 22:01   Link #29
Grey

I wish they'd hurry up and screw everyone over already. Or there will be no time for a happy ending. Not that I'm really expecting one at this point. Losing 4/6 of the original team is already pretty tragic.

Using the other song as the new ED surprised me. It's a nice change. Surprisingly Maria-centric.
Old 2013-01-26, 22:38   Link #30
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I had the same issue really. But I think the main point is, that they are fighting for power and once the rats get it settled among themselves, guess who will be their next target?

On the bit about the anime being random, like the pair ups in the earlier episodes, those were in no way random because we were clearly shown that their society promotes "stress relief" from any member of the same species. Remember the whole bit about Bonobos?

In fact most of what we've seen is in line with what the "info dump" episodes have shown.
Old 2013-01-26, 22:52   Link #31
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yakomaru talks a very good game, but I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the humans never saw through his act. This is especially true of Saki, who really ought to know better given her past experience with Yakomaru.
Saki was not reserve at all in this episode, it look more like she was afraid to mess up in front of the community and end up making her department look bad. Man, the time skip really mess up her previous character.
Old 2013-01-26, 23:45   Link #32
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

The humans not getting actively involved in this massive Queerat War may well be a choice that comes back to haunt them.
From the look of her face during the meeting I could tell that Saki wasn't the lest bit swayed by Squealer's BS but it seemed to me that she didn't have the authority to say anything about it.
Old 2013-01-26, 23:50   Link #33
Kirarakim

Question is Kiroumaru still alive? I am so confused about who is part of what colony and I wasn't sure if his colony was the one that was annihilated or not.

Anyways as for the new ending, I didn't mind it as an insert song but Wareta Ringo was so much more powerful as an actual ending.

I noticed a trend that a lot of anime series change an opening/ending that I loved to a weaker one. I know it's too promote new music but sometimes just keep the awesome first one please.
Old 2013-01-26, 23:56   Link #34
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I can't believe Saki, Yakomaru was lying in front of them obviously and all she does is bite her lips? Why is Yakomaru getting all the chances to fool the humans. it's like I'm watching a drama on TV.... I want that bastard die!!!

In the preview... was that Maria? Where's Mamoru? Kuromitsu?

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-27 at 00:14.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:09   Link #35
ChronoReverse

Just because you KNOW he's untrustworthy doesn't mean you can just call him out as a liar without a shred of evidence.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:10   Link #36
zyta

Send a message via MSN to zyta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This all started with the Spider Wasps and the Goat Moth colonies. The Goat Moths, presumably allied with the Robber flies/Yakomaru (though he denied it) attacked the Spider Wasps, allied with the Giant Hornets by surprise. This led to Kiroumaru waging war on Yakomaru's alliance in retaliation.

Then two battles took place:

- Giant Hornets vs the alliance minus the Robber Flies which were mysteriously absent. This ended in the Giant Hornets' victory.
- Spider Wasps vs Goat Moths. The Spider Wasps inexplicably allied with the Goat moths and crushed the Giant hornets that came to support them.

Then later on, we find out the Giant Hornets have been annihilated, most likely by the Robber flies' main force.

From this, we can surmise the Spider Wasps and the Goat Moths were allies of the Robber Flies all along, and that their previous conflict was nothing more than a big sham to force Kiroumaru to instigate a war. This gave Yakomaru the perfect excuse to wipe the Giant Hornets off the map.
Thank you very much, this cleared up a number of things.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:23   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I can't believe Saki, Yakomaru was lying in front of them obviously and all she does is bite her lips?
She is clearly the most junior official in the room. I didn't find her reluctance to speak surprising at all. it seemed pretty obvious that she was only supposed to speak when asked, and then only because she had some factual material to report. I doubt any of the review panel cared about her opinions. This is a society built on hierarchy and order after all.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:38   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
She is clearly the most junior official in the room. I didn't find her reluctance to speak surprising at all. it seemed pretty obvious that she was only supposed to speak when asked, and then only because she had some factual material to report. I doubt any of the review panel cared about her opinions. This is a society built on hierarchy and order after all.
I hope she wouldn't feel guilty... I hate to believe that good people/exospecies have to die and Yakomaru is going warlord under the human's notice.
Old 2013-01-27, 03:20   Link #39
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The meeting was humorous...particularly because of the potential for moustache-twirling villiany by the villagers

"PLACE YOUR BETS PEOPLE 4-6 ON THE OOSUZUMEBACHIS!!!"
Old 2013-01-27, 05:29   Link #40
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
On the bit about the anime being random, like the pair ups in the earlier episodes, those were in no way random because we were clearly shown that their society promotes "stress relief" from any member of the same species. Remember the whole bit about Bonobos?

In fact most of what we've seen is in line with what the "info dump" episodes have shown.
The thing is, i felt the whole bonobo nonsense was random as well. Plus, you dont see any of the supposed stress relieve methods outside that one weird scene where they almost did something while captured. When you look at the family structure from what we can see, it looks pretty normal to me. One male one female and their children.

If they were really relaxed about sex and used sex as stress relief, then we would get to see quite a hedonistic society, which is not the case. Plus it would seem, that they live in a sort of primitive way (compared to our society) and if they allowed kids to have sex at 12 or so, they would have LOADS of teenie pregnancies. Thats just on the side.

So yeah, this whole sex thing sounds pretty random to me, because they decided to throw it in for shock and to make their society sound exotic but they didnt bother to adjust the details to fit this random piece of information.
Closed Thread