AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 90 62.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 23.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-23, 20:06   Link #81
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
This is my favorite episode so far. I really love every bit of this episode. Hiiragi sisters, Kagami's friends, CODE GEASS and Haruhi references.

I didn't expect this scene though:

Did Konata just pull a MisaMisa? It certainly makes sense.
Old 2007-07-23, 20:55   Link #82
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

@Risaa and other Korean readers: Korean soft-subs are usually out within 48 hours, and they're out for episode 16 at http://catch.wo.tc/ if anyone's interested

I probably should stop posting, but my take is this: I don't think the percentage of Haruhi is exceedingly high; rather, the absolute amount of otaku references is. We could have done without things like Initial D or Code Geass, Animate (including Sugita). Stuff like "Final Answer" is great, I can always have more

However, major Haruhi references like: Hirano Aya's concert, the cosplay cafe, Konata's ringtone I think serves a purpose. Remember, the stage of L*S is currently around 2006-2007. And what is the anime of the 2006? Haruhi. Yeah, Nanoha or Code Geass or Naruto might have more fans, but Haruhi was everywhere, whether you like it or not, whether it was actually a good series or not. And I think it's simply stereotypical for an otaku like Konata to be enamored by Haruhi. Sure, Kyo-ani is using this opportunity, but that doesn't make them evil, IMO. This is certainly more entertaining then bl****ed references plastered all over. And the cosplay cafe was a cute trick using their current seiyu cast.

Milking the Haruhi franchise is IMO currently overdone with a multitude of character CDs and what not, but I don't think this applies to L*S.

And... I should just keep quiet This episode also has a lot of non-otaku slice-of-life aspects, too, like only childs, cooking class, etc.

Edit: I take back Kamen-rider. That was actually a useful reference, for Konata's father.

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2007-07-23 at 21:47.
Old 2007-07-23, 21:48   Link #83
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Random Curiousity: Does Miwiki have anything to with Wikipedia? If so, then Blue Hawaii is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
note: Chinese subs now available.
Chinese subs have always been super fast. I remember those latter days of Gundam SEED Destiny when subbeds came out 30 minutes to an hour after they aired. I was always thinking, "Gee, these guys must be subbing while watching, and have some damned good video cards to do the encoding."

Anyway, Chinese language unique compactness and the proximity of Japanese to it, lingustically and culturally, make it much easier to sub anime with minimal loss of meanings (there's a good reason why many people i know prefer fansubbed to the actual release).

That said, the good Chinese Lucky Star subbeds have slowed considerably recently. It demonstrates how difficult it's to sub Lucky Star. First, it's hard to catch all the references (the easiest one being Haruhi). Being a consumer of all genres of late night anime over many years, i still miss a handful until being reminded by fellow forums posters. This is perhaps the only English forums i frequent because we've an anime kamisama here.

Second, it's hard to decide what side notes to put on it and what not. If you mention every time Haruhi, Nagato or Mikuru is in it, you will literally flood the screen. But yet, everybody has different levels of understandings and comprehension, so...

Suggestion to Subbers: For Lucky Star subbers, i'm suggesting that you soft-subbed with two layers of subtitles, one with the references and one with only the conversation.

Still, like Kaoru Chujo, i prefer speed to accuracy. The only main problem with Chinese subbeds comes with the translation of honorifics titles of sama, san, kun, chan, tan, etc. But if you know it, then it's not a problem anymore. With fair understandings of Japanese culture and language, it's simply more efficient this way.
Old 2007-07-23, 21:59   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroitenshi83 View Post
I think without all the references, Lucky Star will not have stood out if it is based on itself only.
Please don't try that argument, I'll jump on it with both feet and I weigh quite a bit

@the other posters:
I'm trying to be nuanced in that incorporating the sorts of things Kona would normally be doing --- I don't have a problem with specific product use as they've firmly established the year by focusing directly on a camera. When they break continuity with things like Animate Tenchou, I grit my teeth but if they keep it in check... And like Kenny_Riddle says, he has a line in the sand as well and KyoAni is veering towards it (its just farther than mine).

Lucky*Star is a fine little story I'm very fond of and I'd like to think many people would understand that a fan of it would start to feel annoyed as this has progressed.. just as they would over a property they loved.

I've been very fond of KyoAni up to the start of this season with the fine work they've done. But that doesn't make it heretical to criticize how they're handling a property. People who disagree with my assessment are making some good counterpoints so the analysis is fluid. I hope they take the time to examine what I have to say in return
Old 2007-07-23, 23:24   Link #85
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

@Vexx: I've just read the scanlations of the manga and I recognize quite a few of my favorite scenes in it (Konata's absence excuses, Konata vs Kagami on homework, etc. Valentine's day is in volume 1, too). How much of the manga are we covering? Pretty much everything in volume 1 seems to be covered. And are you buying your copies online?
Old 2007-07-23, 23:46   Link #86
PieWhatWhere
The Baker

Send a message via AIM to PieWhatWhere
Sigh, I'm not hardcore enough to understand raws so i'm stuck waiting for a.f.k. to fansub it but all this talk about how the haruhi references are really an advertising scheme set by KYOTO for haruhi 2 kind of annoys me. Keep in mind that this is a satirical anime/manga and that overwhelming references to outside work is pretty much acceptable. That's me opinion, feel free to disagree but I'm solid on liking Lucky Star.
Old 2007-07-24, 00:22   Link #87
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
....People who disagree with my assessment are making some good counterpoints so the analysis is fluid. I hope they take the time to examine what I have to say in return
Thanks for that. I'll keep trying. I think we all (me included) have to remember that we aren't likely to convince each other. There's no "right" answer in this case. We all have different levels of tolerance/enjoyment/understanding of these references, and different "lines in the sand." We should find ways of celebrating and discussing the differences, rather than seeking perfect agreement.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-24, 01:05   Link #88
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll keep trying. I think we all (me included) have to remember that we aren't likely to convince each other. There's no "right" answer in this case. We all have different levels of tolerance/enjoyment/understanding of these references, and different "lines in the sand." We should find ways of celebrating and discussing the differences, rather than seeking perfect agreement.
Amen to that. While I most of times dislike hardcore fanboyism, I can't go around flaming them. It wouldn't make me much better or smarter than them. And then again, the Haruhi references haven't tired me too much. Though right now I've heard so many opinions on the matter that I can hardly call my reactions towards them authentic anymore. Maybe if I had stayed out of discussions about LS, my impression would have been different--maybe not.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-24, 01:22   Link #89
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Wow lots of suzumiya haruhi references are found O.o. Can anyone confirm that the single for Wa wa wa wasure mono is coming out in sept 10 O_o? IM GONnA BUY IT LOL.
Old 2007-07-24, 02:12   Link #90
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
@Risaa and other Korean readers: Korean soft-subs are usually out within 48 hours, and they're out for episode 16 at http://catch.wo.tc/ if anyone's interested
o__o... Wow, now I wish I could read Korean quickly and actually comprehend all of it. That was nice of you to think of me.. thanks, dahl_moon.
Old 2007-07-24, 07:23   Link #91
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Kona-chan or Aya Hirano pulled almost every last bit of the popular anime characters she dubbed in this L*S episode.
Old 2007-07-24, 08:29   Link #92
Dochodiaga

Guess it may be against the rules, but whatever
I found these really good funsubs at youtube and as I know how tiring it may be to wait for a.f.k I wanted to share it with you
So enjoy, but do it fast, as youtube mods are going to remove these videos sooner or later (damn them...)

Really good episode by the way, i really enjoyed the part with cosplay cafe. In contrary to what some people are saying it didn't feel out of place for me..
And thank god for more Misao, her voice and fangs are soooo cute
Old 2007-07-24, 10:19   Link #93
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
@the other posters:
I'm trying to be nuanced in that incorporating the sorts of things Kona would normally be doing --- I don't have a problem with specific product use as they've firmly established the year by focusing directly on a camera. When they break continuity with things like Animate Tenchou, I grit my teeth but if they keep it in check... And like Kenny_Riddle says, he has a line in the sand as well and KyoAni is veering towards it (its just farther than mine).

Lucky*Star is a fine little story I'm very fond of and I'd like to think many people would understand that a fan of it would start to feel annoyed as this has progressed.. just as they would over a property they loved.

I've been very fond of KyoAni up to the start of this season with the fine work they've done. But that doesn't make it heretical to criticize how they're handling a property. People who disagree with my assessment are making some good counterpoints so the analysis is fluid. I hope they take the time to examine what I have to say in return
First, it's Kinny, not Kenny.

You do have valid points in your dissatisfaction, and I guess a little debate is what keeps the user engaged in the forums, as long as it's mutual respect, instead of trying to neg-rep each other.

Mods may delete the below if they see fit, but I'm not removing it because I feel like responding. I'll take all responsibility.
Spoiler for off-topic response to my neg-repper:
Old 2007-07-24, 10:53   Link #94
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
wow thx for that Dochodiaga that guy should join a group pro!

*skipping all the "debate" so far...*

i should say ZOMG to all the haruhi refs in this ep but for some reason i dont feel that it is absolutely right...while i did not particularly mind or hyped over the fact that haruhi and crew made more of a "just referance" in this ep i do feel that there isnt a need to burn kyoani just yet...as i see it the whole cosplay cafe was just a huge gag that swung either way...and in fact i was actually laughing when kona used her haruhi voice...highly amusing to see a character who you are attuned to thier voice suddenly changing with such flawlessness ^.^

sure it was product placement but the point being that it did not do any harm which is what i am trying to emphasize...its not like it is telling you to "go buy this or go buy that" ~ but ofc to people who expects this series to be a haruhi free zone you should know this series well enough by now...there isnt much more point screaming that the series is going too far with it's haruhi references because this is just how business works...ofc maybe sunrise paid kyoani to put in those code geass references though there is more of a chance that this isnt the case ~ or do anyone expect kyoani to be chasing sunrise up for money because they "advertised" their series?

about this ep ~ well as i said it was a lot of fun...but the total win has to be the special ED...yes for once i am completely satisfied with lucky channel! (or should i say lucky karaoke?) ~ the song picked was just awesome...boy it brings back memories of classic songs of the 80/90's from shanghai

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-24, 11:31   Link #95
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Leaving the debate aside and getting back on topic, it was pretty interesting to see two Tsunderes (Kona-Haruhi vs Kagami) arguing with each other to see who is better in dissing people off.
Old 2007-07-24, 12:41   Link #96
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Leaving the debate aside and getting back on topic, it was pretty interesting to see two Tsunderes (Kona-Haruhi vs Kagami) arguing with each other to see who is better in dissing people off.
<bias>Kona-Ruhi wins in my book against Hiiragi Kagami </bias>

Iam also glad there's REALISIM in the anime since after Kona-chan danced she was panting and tired, unlike other anime's most of them DON'T get tired after a something like that.
Old 2007-07-24, 14:01   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
First, it's Kinny, not Kenny.
Oops..... well at least I'm not calling you Tom Riddle....

Quote:
You do have valid points in your dissatisfaction, and I guess a little debate is what keeps the user engaged in the forums, as long as it's mutual respect, instead of trying to neg-rep each other.
I fear the slippery slope ... if the ravening mob goes ape over crossover. I suspect we'll start seeing crossover insertion in everything. Haruhi characters affecting Clannad poses and lines while carrying the latest L*S manga, FMP dialog quoting SHnY, Clannad characters cosplaying as FMP or SHnY in their free time.

How much cross-contamination do the fans want? Do they *want* that sort of thing? Please no one respond by saying KyoAni won't do that.... they're a corporation. If crossover sells, you'll see more of it, they'll drop the "true to the source" accolade like a brick. KyoAni has done some absolutely great stuff (like SHnY or Kanon) but it doesn't mean they're immune to error, ne?

Given the season the show is set in .... it isn't unnatural that Kona's cosplay cafe would be doing a Haruhi moment or that Kona would be cosplaying Haruhi. I think I'd have been MORE impressed if Aya playing Kona had impersonated Haruhi not-so-well. Hell, that would have been very impressive. Aya doing Kona doing Haruhi badly....

Other than that, much of this is 'anime-only' which means even more of the manga material will be left undone due to time budget allocation. I guess I'm glad KyoAni wasn't doing Azumanga Daioh when the SHnY craze started or we'd have gotten much less of that series adapted to anime.

What remains to be seen is that will they just take selected snips of the remaining published material.... or will they continue plodding along and leave material for OVAs? Will we get OVAs?

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-07-24 at 16:06.
Old 2007-07-24, 15:56   Link #98
t3ck
Anime Freak

I love the part where Konata cosplay Haruhi, especially when Hirano Aya do the Haruhi voice. She's awesome!

Anyway a question on the ending song. Is it an old japanese song or one created by Kyo-Ani? What's the name of the song? Couldn't quite catch it in the show
Old 2007-07-24, 16:05   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've read its a classical japanese enka song of lament ... I haven't heard it yet to take a guess at it.
Old 2007-07-24, 17:04   Link #100
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
I've read its a classical japanese enka song of lament ... I haven't heard it yet to take a guess at it.
It's not classical, it's new, Just like new country western singles come up now and then in the US.
Closed Thread