AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-18, 03:57   Link #1
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Does my cat have a parasite?

First off, I didn't even know about the winter banner contest! Dang it! I was to busy with finals to even go online to check out the forums for half a month so otherwise I would of participated. Oh well, I guess I got to wait for the next one. Grrrr...

Anyways, I have a cat question. My cat has this bare patch on his abdomen and there 's a wound on it. It was bleeding like crazy yesterday and I feared he might die of blood lost. The good news is he isn't dead but his wound just won't clot and heal. He's always getting into fights with the neighboring cats so I usually can tell what type of wound he has, but this one looked really bad and weird. It was round and deep so it can’t be a claw wound I think maybe he has some type of parasite in there. Any other cat people care to share their knowledge on this?
Old 2004-12-18, 04:05   Link #2
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
First...Take your cat to a vet!!!! If the bleeding isn't stopping, then that's way not good. Your cat probably has a lovely infection right now, and it def. needs some antibiotics, perhaps even stiches

About the parasite thing, its possible, but parasites don't make a hole through your skin or anything. Basically, most parasites in pets like tape worms and such latch onto your cats intestines and kinda live off them. It can get life threatening if left untreated and you can usually tell if they have them, cause you find bits of their sheded skin in their poop. Most parasites can be treated if caught soon enough I believe, but I know at least for humans that you have to take some pretty nasty medicine. Here's an article about parasites that can be found in animals. But yeah, get your cat to a vet asap! They will be the most help to you.
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/people/Ta...cal/worms.html
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 04:18   Link #3
wao
OK.

Excuse my rudeness... but I can't believe you decided to ask on an anime forum what to do when your cat bleeds to the point you thought it would die, without contacting your vet first!!

Are you very far from a vet or something? When this sort of thing happens shouldn't you go straight to the vet? It's not like it's something minor either!

I don't know much, but I'm also under the impression that most parasites attack from the inside...
Old 2004-12-18, 04:36   Link #4
Wandering_Youth

Well he's not exactly my cat legally. He was a stray cat that I took care of when I found him in my backyard as a kitten so he 's not really a tamed in a way. I occasionally let him in the house when my parents are not at home so most of the time he's outside wondering around in the neighborhood. I'm also a full time student with no job cept my savings and I'm not quite sure how much it is to go to a vet. He also get's nervous and crazy when there are lots people around so I don't know how he'll react if I brought him to the vet plus he's scared of riding in the car. He clawed me a couple of times I tried to take him for a ride. I really don't know what to do with him.
Old 2004-12-18, 12:41   Link #5
Robocop
Cepheus

Maybe some punk has shot him. Have a look for a pellet or something.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 17:30   Link #6
Ending

Vet. Now. Animals don't show it if they are suffering, so if there is blood; you bet he is in agony. My old cat died to a eye-disease he caught from a scratch in the eye, despite the antibiotics. In the end, the disease gnawed the eye inside-out, rotting its way towards the brain. Not much to do but put him into sleep, after having been in the family for about 13 years.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 20:50   Link #7
Thelastguardian

Hehehe (I am not being cruel) . I think if you ever want to see your beloved neko again you would be wise to take him to a vet.

Reference:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcatpoison.html

Judging from the article I would say a cat's paw is probably the last thing I want to attack me.
sic-
"not only quickly infected, they were necrotic (that is, the surrounding tissue was dead). "
Old 2004-12-20, 13:09   Link #8
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Hi, just thaught I'd put my two cents on the table.

First i agree Robocop, that wound does not sound like a parasitic wound, it sounds more like a BB shot or somthing like that. My cat was shot in the leg with a BB gun (My god damn neighbors kids got a real beating out of that one) and that made a wound that sounds quite like the one you are describing.

As for what do with the poor thing, you really should try to take him to a vet. even if he can't get any treatment they should atleast be able to put him to sleep (which will be a much more humane and pain free solution than living with that wound untreated)
You should try to keep the cat indoors so he dosent get any more dirt in the wound
(but if he's a wild cat that may be a problem )

Best of luck with your cat, please tell us how it goes

Last edited by Dark_Voodoo; 2004-12-20 at 19:19.
Dark_Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 10:03   Link #9
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
Well he's not exactly my cat legally. He was a stray cat that I took care of when I found him in my backyard as a kitten so he 's not really a tamed in a way. I occasionally let him in the house when my parents are not at home so most of the time he's outside wondering around in the neighborhood. I'm also a full time student with no job cept my savings and I'm not quite sure how much it is to go to a vet. He also get's nervous and crazy when there are lots people around so I don't know how he'll react if I brought him to the vet plus he's scared of riding in the car. He clawed me a couple of times I tried to take him for a ride. I really don't know what to do with him.
well try drugging its food ,

anyway i have seen a similiar wound on a stray kitten once (had fleas too), looked like something took a bite of the cats body or something, i mean the cats flesh was sort of exposed , i would say drug the cat and take it to the vet, or try to bring the vet over...

if the cat is in too much pain u can put the cat 'to sleep'

edit: by the way the wound i saw on that cat was the size of a quarter,
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 13:53   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Sounds like a BB gun wound ...

Either way make sure you disinfect it ... you don't want any more problems. Some alcohol might do the trick.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 14:25   Link #11
Robocop
Cepheus

Hey! What’s all this talk of putting the pussy to sleep?

If I had a hole somewhere on my person I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be "put out of my misery"

Your cat is injured, just keep the wound clean and it will be chasing mice again in no time.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 00:12   Link #12
Wandering_Youth

I went out and bought some kitty first-aid items and used it on him and soo far it's helping. He's no longer bleeding and his fur is growing back on the areas around the wound. Now only if he would just stop licking off the first-aid medicine everytime I try putting it on him. Now I just need to give him a bath and that's going to be a pain in the ass.
Old 2004-12-23, 01:46   Link #13
Thelastguardian

Quote:
I went out and bought some kitty first-aid items and used it on him and soo far it's helping. He's no longer bleeding and his fur is growing back on the areas around the wound. Now only if he would just stop licking off the first-aid medicine everytime I try putting it on him. Now I just need to give him a bath and that's going to be a pain in the ass.
Thats good news. Too bad you don't seem to process a certain supernatural power a certain character in School Rumble processes
Old 2004-12-23, 02:07   Link #14
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
That's really good news! Did you ever figure out how your cat got that wound?

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about giving cats baths. After many years of getting scratches and scars from house cats of all things, I've learned that if you wear several thick layers of clothing that you become claw proof
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote