AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: /What do you think of Anti-Magic?
It's the most overpowered ability ever! 9 36.00%
It's the most useless ability ever! 0 0%
It's just a so-so ability. 14 56.00%
What's Anti-Magic? 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-10, 15:35   Link #21
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
And that's why Kanzaki was the only magic-user to defeat him, because she actually wasn't stupid when fighting .

While Strikers' usage of it was just meh.

The only other ones I've seen I think would count be possibly FSN Caster's "Rule Breaker"(which is obviously OP just by the name and it was ), while F/Z's Lancer's anti-magic weapon seems a bit more balanced, since it isn't as strong. And one other the Sealed Card from Cardcaptor Sakura was definitely an anti-magic of sorts, though it's power was due to it being the counter balance to all the other cards.

Overall it can be used well, but generally isn't, imo.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 15:40   Link #22
judasmartel
*Author

Well, Kanzaki's case is that her magic is basically an inherent status buff, which is something IB cannot cancel. But still, she beat Touma in style.

I agree that the Anti-Magic trope cannot be used without tearing up holes in the plot. While things like, "So why the mages just don't pick that gun and shoot him" doesn't actually get solved that way, things like RELEVANT PLOT HOLES CAN be solved properly.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 15:47   Link #23
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It also feels unlikely that given the variety in "magic" in most stories, that someone can conjure up something that nullifies every single ability, regardless of degree. I mean are the power of mooks and main characaters really the same?

Spoony from the Spoony Experiment once made fun of this (small Final Fantasy 8 spoilers)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-04-10 at 16:48.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 16:34   Link #24
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In the Fate/series line of thought. The upcoming Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA has a situation were magic and logic clash. It mainly centers around the idea of magical girls....and flying.
Old 2012-04-10, 18:15   Link #25
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well, Kanzaki's case is that her magic is basically an inherent status buff, which is something IB cannot cancel. But still, she beat Touma in style.

I agree that the Anti-Magic trope cannot be used without tearing up holes in the plot. While things like, "So why the mages just don't pick that gun and shoot him" doesn't actually get solved that way, things like RELEVANT PLOT HOLES CAN be solved properly.

Sigh, I knew this was going to happen... -_-

- Outright anti-magic in the Raildex world, before Imagine Breaker, has never been seen before or it's so obscure it's pretty much a ghost story. Science is not only the side with people that goes 'everything has an explanation', magic side does the same thing as well, they try to find out what makes it tick and whether there's some way to exploit it. And yes, that means firing your same spell at him over and over to see you can get a read on things.

- Secondly about the gun issue, at the start of the story Touma was an obscure character in his vast world. Only a very small number of people knows about him and what he has done, meaning when they come to Academy City for whatever reason, they do not plan for him. The timeline in this story has only reached it's 3rd month, and only now has his name start to circulate among the people.

Do I have to bring up the mindset of Magicians and how that plays a factor? Oh well, if someone asks I guess.

Currently at this moment, the only other series I can think of that have a strong theme of Anti-Magic is Nanoha. Anti-Magic, in my opinion is one of those cards that you get to play only once or twice, the moment you start loading even the lowest grunts with complete magic nullification- it should spell the end of the age of magic, unless of course they can make a Counter-Anti-Magic technique, then it just became an arms race My point is, no matter how powerful you make your Anti-Magic ability, you just can't make it 'easy access' >.>

(Plus I think giving them complete magic nullification AND THEN SOME, is way too overkill...)

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-04-10 at 18:39.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 18:22   Link #26
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I am not exactly comfortable with it. It seems rather convenient, and in a way, it's cheating. It's like the hero saying "Yo, you wanna fight? Dream on" *negates power, then runs off*. But I guess it does depends on the context, though I would rather the story stay away from such convenience.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 20:57   Link #27
Xion Valkyrie

MxO is the only one that did it right.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 01:36   Link #28
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Sigh, I knew this was going to happen... -_-

- Outright anti-magic in the Raildex world, before Imagine Breaker, has never been seen before or it's so obscure it's pretty much a ghost story. Science is not only the side with people that goes 'everything has an explanation', magic side does the same thing as well, they try to find out what makes it tick and whether there's some way to exploit it. And yes, that means firing your same spell at him over and over to see you can get a read on things.

- Secondly about the gun issue, at the start of the story Touma was an obscure character in his vast world. Only a very small number of people knows about him and what he has done, meaning when they come to Academy City for whatever reason, they do not plan for him. The timeline in this story has only reached it's 3rd month, and only now has his name start to circulate among the people.
That's exactly how you explain why mages keep on using that fireball that just don't work on Anti-Magic. That's not what I call stupid. It's what I call "research", keep trying until you find a way to hurt him. Creativity does not work that way. But it doesn't stop people from complaining why don't the mages just shoot him with a goddamn gun.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:17   Link #29
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
That's exactly how you explain why mages keep on using that fireball that just don't work on Anti-Magic. That's not what I call stupid. It's what I call "research", keep trying until you find a way to hurt him. Creativity does not work that way. But it doesn't stop people from complaining why don't the mages just shoot him with a goddamn gun.
I've always wanted to ask- which ass do they think one could pull a gun out from?
Old 2012-04-11, 07:00   Link #30
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
I've always wanted to ask- which ass do they think one could pull a gun out from?
Exactly. But then again, there are still some people who insist on mages bringing a gun just in case they encounter somebody who can nullify their fireballs. But superpower stories don't work that way...
Old 2012-04-11, 12:03   Link #31
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Honestly, I think it's BORING. At first I was disappointed by it in Gakuen Alice and then I realized it suited her. Other than that....meh.
Old 2012-04-11, 19:31   Link #32
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Overpowered.

If you read EP8 of the Umineko no Naku Koro Ni novel you will understand. If you really want to know, or will just never read it:

Spoiler for EP8: Twilight of the Golden Witch:

And for anime viewers of the horrible anime adaption (Screw DEEN for screwing up the Question Arcs -.- thanks to them there will probably never be an Umineko Chiru anime):

Spoiler for CHAPTER 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch:
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 20:56   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's also the "anything in the room is a weapon" technique (not just guns) -- mage picks up brick, bashes head of target in, etc.
Old 2012-04-11, 21:23   Link #34
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Characters with this ability is playing by a different rule, similar to putting your King in your pocket to prevent it being eaten.

Mages or any power-wielder this ability is anti to is often creature of habit. Their training and reliance to their power makes their behavior patterned, and such when encountered with something outside of their patterns, they can't do much about it. It's similar to how Kiritsugu in Fate Zero is such an efficient mage killer: the mages are often unprepared to face a type of foe such as him.

Habit is a strong force, and it's not so much of an "idiot ball" when someone as habitual as mages face something as screwed up as this kind of ability.
Old 2012-04-11, 21:49   Link #35
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's also the "anything in the room is a weapon" technique (not just guns) -- mage picks up brick, bashes head of target in, etc.
Remembers me of Psychomantis... he couldn't mind control Snake, so he just used the surrounding to attack him... which as we players know wasn't enough...

But you bring up an interesting point:
Is the Anti-Magic capable of blocking indirect magic attacks?

My Answers:

1. If the Anti-Magic is just an ability that only nullifies "magical power" or something alike: NO

2. If the Anti-Magic is something, that outrights denies the existence of magic or magical abilities themselves on a conceptual level: YES
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 08:25   Link #36
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I dunno, it has its ups and downs. It's good, but it's not the most powerful thing ever.

Then again, that might just be me having Xanth novels as one of my first novels. In there, the main character of the first novel (A Spell for Chameleon) used anti-magic, and it didn't seem very OP.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 09:18   Link #37
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Which would then put them in a situation where they are out of their elements, and that's something you want to avoid in a fight.

Of course this is circumstantial- depending on the context of the story maybe all mages are fighters like in Nanoha or Negima, in which case there shouldn't be any reason not to do so. But in most stories, mages are usually the 'hands-off' kind of guys, asking them to suddenly go melee might not be the best of approach.
Old 2012-04-12, 16:15   Link #38
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

With Haak, poor poll. Depends it's creation and on the usage and this is something that can have limits too. If it was thought up half way through the series I may argue it but if it was made for the series, then I think it's cool.

Rule Breaker FTW
!
Old 2012-04-12, 19:16   Link #39
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Which would then put them in a situation where they are out of their elements, and that's something you want to avoid in a fight.

Of course this is circumstantial- depending on the context of the story maybe all mages are fighters like in Nanoha or Negima, in which case there shouldn't be any reason not to do so. But in most stories, mages are usually the 'hands-off' kind of guys, asking them to suddenly go melee might not be the best of approach.
That doesn't stop people from asking mages to be pragmatic once their magic does not work on someone. But, come on, what if the reason their fireballs don't work on the guy is NOT Anti-Magic, then? Should you really expect mages to just stop casting fireballs just because it doesn't work once?