AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-19, 23:23   Link #1041
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I finally understand the different views of the precursor culture.

The Vox is Earth's defense system meant to defend it. The ancestor of the Polyhedron did not colonize their worlds after a disaster. Their worlds were already colonized to begin with.

Their ancestors were stupid enough to try conquer Earth and got their butts handed to them by the Voxes.

Survivors accounts and propaganda became superstition. That is why for 20,000 years Earth was left alone.
From what Youko said, that seems quite possible indeed. The chairman's reaction is also very suspicious, instantly refusing it.

It could be that they tried to conquer earth, but after a long and arduous fight eventually were thrown back by the Voxes, and the invaders got a trauma from it and demonized the Vox.
The advanced civilisation on earth, even though victorious in the end, was nearly wiped out in the war, and their last survivors hid the Vox deep in the oceans.

Now, at the present, they are in a pinch and need some super weapon to fight their enemies. Someone remebered the Vox and decided to go for them, and so they came to the earth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What's more interesting is the very oblique reference to the stationary solution of Lagrangian points, that is, Yoko's explanation about "three" being historically the most "stable" prime in numerology. One shall fall, two will divide, but three unites. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Creator (Brahma), the Preserver (Vishnu) and the Destroyer (Shiva). The Beginning, the Middle and the End.
The example that Youko actually gives is 三諦 (Sandai). In Tendai-Buddhism, it means the "threefold truth" (all things are void; all things are temporary; all things are in the middle state between these two).

However, when we saw the ancient stone table early on which tells of the Voxes, it didn't only show the three of them, but had a part missing where there probably was a fourth one. So far, the elements covered are:

Aura - Earth (Madoka)
Lympha - Water (Lan)
Ignis - Fire (Muginami)

The fourth Vox would be associated with Air (in the classical western four-element-system). It could perhaps be named after an air spirit, like a sylph or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
Methinks that the Madoka's flower aura neutralizes all weapons in vicinity. Not sure how it'll effect her cousin though, she might still end up dead. I'm not surprise if she does, judging from past shows they made.
The flower landing on her most likely wasn't completely random. I'd be surprised if it didn't have any effect.
Also, the flowers seemed to freeze up all the enemies with big ice crystals or something.
Old 2012-03-20, 03:24   Link #1042
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Spoiler for scans:
Old 2012-03-20, 04:51   Link #1043
sa547
*Author

From the Other Board:
Spoiler for Shoutout to EOE:

OST coming next week (March 28).
Spoiler for OST album cover:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTCL-60296

My personal favorite is the launch/activation track.
Old 2012-03-20, 08:38   Link #1044
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
From what Youko said, that seems quite possible indeed. The chairman's reaction is also very suspicious, instantly refusing it.

It could be that they tried to conquer earth, but after a long and arduous fight eventually were thrown back by the Voxes, and the invaders got a trauma from it and demonized the Vox.
The advanced civilisation on earth, even though victorious in the end, was nearly wiped out in the war, and their last survivors hid the Vox deep in the oceans.

Now, at the present, they are in a pinch and need some super weapon to fight their enemies. Someone remebered the Vox and decided to go for them, and so they came to the earth again.

The example that Youko actually gives is 三諦 (Sandai). In Tendai-Buddhism, it means the "threefold truth" (all things are void; all things are temporary; all things are in the middle state between these two).

However, when we saw the ancient stone table early on which tells of the Voxes, it didn't only show the three of them, but had a part missing where there probably was a fourth one. So far, the elements covered are:

Aura - Earth (Madoka)
Lympha - Water (Lan)
Ignis - Fire (Muginami)

The fourth Vox would be associated with Air (in the classical western four-element-system). It could perhaps be named after an air spirit, like a sylph or something.

The flower landing on her most likely wasn't completely random. I'd be surprised if it didn't have any effect.
Also, the flowers seemed to freeze up all the enemies with big ice crystals or something.
aura=air, not earth
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 09:44   Link #1045
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Spoiler for scans:
Not seeing anything. Are you hotlinking from someplace that doesn't allow it?
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:31   Link #1046
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Not seeing anything. Are you hotlinking from someplace that doesn't allow it?

Seems to be working with me. Probably some minor bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

Same here, really did think it went kaboom, while I expected the 3 guys to show up and help out I did not expect them to make that type of entrance.
Gotta hand it to them they have a "hero's timely arrival" down pretty damn well

Was a great ep, plenty of awesome mecha action!
Did not expect that ending tho, the wait for next ep is gonna be a long and difficult one cause I really, really, really want to know what happens!!!
Can't tell if we'll see something stopping Madoka before going "Kira Yamato" on KISS or at least for abit before being stopped somehow.
Think someone might not feel so safe in their big battle ship....at least I hope thats what might happens

This is confirmed for 2 cour yea?
So maybe not see too much death going on atm and not sure we'll see Yoko die, Madoka's already lost her mum, doubt we'll see her losing her sister as well.

Still loving this series, still top anime this season for me!

Since Kamogawa dept. of tourism is part of the production of this anime along with Nissan motors, I don't think they would highly approve of it.

The timely arrival of the Cavalry is great, and finally the boys showing that they're useful after all. Though Array's choice of a battle suit is less than inspiring to say the least.Lol.

Since Yoko is not around this time, I wonder how Madoka will snap back from her "Maverick" slump. So she can go back happily killing KISS red shirt pilots.(those robots are manned right? I don't see any parachutes either, a'la GI joe)
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:44   Link #1047
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:

Aura - Earth (Madoka)
Lympha - Water (Lan)
Ignis - Fire (Muginami)

I don't know. Wouldn't the five-element system also be possible?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:46   Link #1048
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
Seems to be working with me. Probably some minor bug.
Copy-pasting the URLs gets me a 403 Forbidden error.
Old 2012-03-20, 11:48   Link #1049
Sumeragi
Banned

I have no problem viewing the scans.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:51   Link #1050
Random Wanderer

Huh. Half the time they'll give me 403, and then I try them again and they'll work. And then I try the next one and it 403s as well. Wherever they're coming from seems unstable.
Old 2012-03-20, 13:38   Link #1051
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I want to drop this show after seeing how the girls happily go to battle KISS and wiping them out while KISS soldiers are scared to death fighting them.

When one of them (KISS) falls, they refer to the fallen unit with the pilot's name, not some stupid code.

Hundreds of those guys are being trashed like flies, in the war that have no villain.

Then Madoka b!tches and traumatize from her big sis getting hurt by the fallen enemy unit she shot (the unit that was retreating after most of them were getting slaughtered and their plan failed).

Seriously... I still don't fully understand why would they want to protect the Voxes so bad. I don't think KISS would actually invade and colonize the Earth either since they still have another enemy who was supporting the Earth for "now".
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 13:51   Link #1052
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
I want to drop this show after seeing how the girls happily go to battle KISS and wiping them out while KISS soldiers are scared to death fighting them.

When one of them (KISS) falls, they refer to the fallen unit with the pilot's name, not some stupid code.

Hundreds of those guys are being trashed like flies, in the war that have no villain.

Then Madoka b!tches and traumatize from her big sis getting hurt by the fallen enemy unit she shot (the unit that was retreating after most of them were getting slaughtered and their plan failed).

Seriously... I still don't fully understand why would they want to protect the Voxes so bad. I don't think KISS would actually invade and colonize the Earth either since they still have another enemy who was supporting the Earth for "now".
Well, as far as anyone on Earth knows (aside from Moid), these people are trying to conquer the planet, not just steal/destroy the voces. Second, I don't think the girls know the KISS units are manned: they think they're drones, like the last time unpronouncablename attacked them. Thirdly, KISS just tried to wipe out an entire freaking city full of innocent people. If you expect me to sympathize with people who think mass-murder of civilians is a valid tactic, you are going to be very disappointed.

Villawhateverthehellhisnameis earned death when he tried to kill Muginami. The rest of KISS proved they deserve it fired on Kamogawa. You say there's no villain in this war: I say you're wrong. Someone who chooses to behave in that fashion is a villain, no matter whether their final objective is evil or not.
Old 2012-03-20, 14:49   Link #1053
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
OST coming next week (March 28).
Spoiler for OST album cover:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTCL-60296

My personal favorite is the launch/activation track.
I want to get my ears listening to that oh so badly...
Old 2012-03-20, 19:23   Link #1054
Darthtabby

It seems to me some of the people who have been raging against certain characters are seeing absolute certainties in situations where things are actually rather ambigious. Let's use take the beam cannon blast that nearly hit Kamogawa as an example. I can think of at least four possible explanations for that event.

1) Villa is trying to provoke the girls and doesn't give a shit about Kamogawa.
2) Villa is trying to provoke the girls and was betting that the De Metrio trio would do exactly what they did (note Villa's dialogue about how he knew this was going to happen).
3) The shot was actually intended for Madoka's Vox (that beam either hit or came really close to Vox Aura).
4) The people who made the show are just inconsistent about the accuracy of Kiss' gunnery (note that Grania never ordered the gunners to switch targets).

As for the issue of the Ovid that crashed on School grounds, there is dialogue suggesting the De Metrio boys engaged Kiss Ovids. But nothing in this episode seems to rule out it being the girls either. (That being said, even if it was one of the girls was responsible for that, can you really blame them for going to town on those Ovids after what had just happened?)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:44   Link #1055
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

probaly the unit modaka was spinning around >_>
Old 2012-03-20, 23:39   Link #1056
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Spoiler for scans:
I'm noticing that Array doesn't wear his costumary maid suit on that one scan, which seems strange. He really loves his maid suit, as he hasn't been wearing anything else ever since he took up that maid position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
aura=air, not earth
No. Aura is green, which is why Madoka named it 緑 Midori, which is actual leaves green, not that other blue-green (青 aoi, normally blue, but sometimes also used for blue-green hues).
Green is associated with the plants on the earth, but certainly not with the air. Air is never green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I don't know. Wouldn't the five-element system also be possible?
Theoretically yes. If we used the asian five-element system (fire, water, wood, metal, earth) instead of the western four-element system (fire, water, air and earth), that would mean the elements wood and metal would still be missing.
However, since the stone table back then had originally four entries on it with the fourth one missing, and the Vox have western names, you can be pretty sure that the western four-element system is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
wtf? Sympathy with those Kiss villains? I wonder what is wrong with you?
It has been safely established by now that Kiss has no good intentions whatsoever, neither for the girls, nor for Kamogawa or the earth as a whole.
There was already a clear hint at that when VillainGiulio tried to killed Muginami in cold blood, even though they were once close friends.

Then we have that nasty ganguro freak, the vice commander of the Kiss forces, which says at 8:16 "Light the surface of the earth with the flames of war."
Kiss' plan is obviously to lay waste to the earth on a large scale. Then it further becomes apparent how wicked Kiss actually is: they don't limit their attacks to Pharos, which would be a valid military target, but also try to turn Kamogawa into a big crater, even though there are only civilians, and it doesn't have any military value. They would've succeeded with their attack and killed hundreds of civilians, had it not been for the three guys which protected Kamogawa with their shield.

Now for that "scared to death to fight them" nonsense, which you made up from thin air. At no point are they scared, they fly down to earth trying to fulfill their order given by that ganguro freak to lay waste to the earth. On the way, they are then shot to bits by Lan and Muginami, and later also Madoka. They deserve no better for their hostile invasion.
Even after the three girls already have destroyed a good amount of the Ovids, they're still not scared and continue fighting them.

So the pilots in the Ovids have actual names, not just numbers. Big surprise. I think that's mentioned to further illustrate how reckless Kiss is. They know very well that their Ovids won't have any chance against the Vox, yet they still have no qualms to use the Ovids (with their pilots) as cannon fodder, in the hope that if they just throw enough Ovids at the Vox, at some point one will come through, even if all the other Ovids are destroyed. The ganguro freak shows no reaction to all the Ovids destroyed, she doesn't care for it at all. Also, when some Ovids are shot down by Pharos' Anti-Ovid-artillery, she just coldly states, "That was to be expected", and still doesn't give a damn about all the Ovids that get destroyed.
With all that, how can you come to the ludicrous assumption that Kiss wouldn't want to invade? Have we really watched the same episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
1) Villa is trying to provoke the girls and doesn't give a shit about Kamogawa.
That's the only possible explanation that I see there. Neither he nor that ganguro girl apparently give a damn for Kamogawa or the earth as a whole.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:20   Link #1057
Kazu-kun

Quote:
No. Aura is green, which is why Madoka named it 緑 Midori, which is actual leaves green, not that other blue-green (青 aoi, normally blue, but sometimes also used for blue-green hues).
The four basic elements in Latin are: Aura = sky/air, terra = earth, ignis = fire, aqua = water.

Vox Aura and Ignis takes their names from the Latin words for air and fire respectively. As for Lympha, it comes from the word "lymph", which is another Latin word for water (I suppose they chose this word instead of "aqua" because it sounded cooler).

Long story short, pinoscotto is right.

Quote:
It has been safely established by now that Kiss has no good intentions whatsoever.
We don't know that because we still don't know their goal. Their methods aren't good but we can't say anything about their intentions just yet.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-03-22 at 00:56.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 00:43   Link #1058
Random Wanderer

Just for the record, Aura's association with air was stated outright in episode 4. The color of each Vox does not seem to necessarily have any connection to what its element may be. Given that none of them even had those colors until they'd bonded with their partners, the colors are likely more of a reflection of each girl, rather than having anything to do with the Vox's elemental affinity.

Also in episode four around that same time, the computer image Youko's associate shows her distinctly states that Vox Lympha was found on Earth near Bermuda in 1960, and Vox Ignis was found on Earth near Madagascar in 1820. And we already know Aura was found near Japan. Thus, as I've been stating, all three voces were found on Earth. If the aliens had them at any time, that means someone violated their rules that required them to leave Earth alone, and went there and took one or more voces away with them.

Quote:
We don't know that because we still don't know their goal. Their methods aren't good but we can't say anything about their intentions just yet.
True. I can't make any judgements about their objectives yet, since I don't know what they are. But I can and do condemn the methods they're willing to use to reach those objectives. I don't believe any noble goal could justify their behavior, and if their goal isn't noble... well, they've got no excuses at all. I can understand that they clearly think their end justifies their means, but I will not forgive them for what they've tried to do.
Old 2012-03-21, 09:18   Link #1059
Darthtabby

Grania's line about painting the earth's surface with the flames of war may have just been her being overly dramatic while ordering her Ovids to force Vox Lymphis down. She seems to be a bit on the dramatic side at times.

Actually, do we even know for sure that that's what she said? I would not be overly surprised if a more literal translation of that line wasn't something more like "Bring this war to the earth's surface!" (Just delivered in a dramatic fashion.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 00:28   Link #1060
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The four basic elements in Latin are: Aura = sky/air, terra = earth, ignis = fire, aqua = water.

Vox Aura and Ignis takes their names from the Latin words for air and fire respectively. As for Lympha, it comes from the word "lymph", which is another Latin word for water (I suppose they chose this word instead of "aqua" because is sounded cooler).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Just for the record, Aura's association with air was stated outright in episode 4. The color of each Vox does not seem to necessarily have any connection to what its element may be. Given that none of them even had those colors until they'd bonded with their partners, the colors are likely more of a reflection of each girl, rather than having anything to do with the Vox's elemental affinity.
Sometimes, to represent air or wind on art, you can see leaves flying around. I was just thinking "midori", based on the color it represents, was kinda like a leaf tossed away by the wind...
Maybe I'm justr trying too hard on that.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime original, mecha, science fiction, yuri