AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-26, 09:24   Link #2281
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The Arc-en-Ciel has a history of destroying the Book of Darkness. In A's, they just made it permanent.

Precia's "ONE" attack was powered by NINE, count them, NINE Lost Logias. Now... consider this, R1 is just ONE Lost Logia, and she pretty much brushed off Nanoha and Fate combined( an IMPROVED pair of Nanoha and Fate no less).

And now you want me to believe that the trio has more power than 3 Lost Logias each?

The Asura does have shields. This is not a matter of speculation. Refer to Ep11 of the first season. Shields that are capable of protecting against, dare I say it, an attack power of NINE Lost Logias.

Cheers.
I never interpreted Precia as using the jewel seeds to cast her battle-magic... for one thing, aren't they only good for dimensional manipulation?
Old 2007-02-26, 09:37   Link #2282
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
I never interpreted Precia as using the jewel seeds to cast her battle-magic... for one thing, aren't they only good for dimensional manipulation?
Considering that the Seeds were doing a whole lot BESIDES dimensional warping before Precia got hold of them, I imagine that they're more like massive amplifiers.
Old 2007-02-26, 09:38   Link #2283
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

... For one thing, I've always seen the Jewel Seeds as a power source (asides from its "wish fulfillment" function), which was exactly what Precia needed for her ambitions. The Jewel Seeds were describe as "crystallized extradimensional energy" or at least something to that extent...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-02-26, 10:10   Link #2284
Veg
/dev/null

Send a message via ICQ to Veg Send a message via AIM to Veg Send a message via MSN to Veg

These are the scans which I mentioned in my previous post. Enjoy.
Old 2007-02-26, 10:27   Link #2285
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Erh, sorry to rain in on the parade, but those pics were posted a few weeks ago already ^^;;; Although it'll be useful for those who haven't seen them yet.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-02-26, 10:28   Link #2286
Veg
/dev/null

Send a message via ICQ to Veg Send a message via AIM to Veg Send a message via MSN to Veg
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Erh, sorry to rain in on the parade, but those pics were posted a few weeks ago already ^^;;; Although it'll be useful for those who haven't seen them yet.
Well, didn't had the time to read the whole thread .
Old 2007-02-26, 18:57   Link #2287
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
i think it would be more useful if someone translated the pages *cough*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-26, 19:14   Link #2288
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

*Eagerly awaiting the next Megami in a few days*

No straight translation that I know of but when they were posted up almost a month ago we pretty much picked them apart. Those posts should have lots of info for you.

It makes sense that she could have amplified her powers for that strike.

I just don't think we have enough information to determine if Nanoha and co could take out a warship. Tho if it ever needed to be done in the anime we can rest assured that they'd do it
Old 2007-02-26, 19:41   Link #2289
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i think it would be more useful if someone translated the pages *cough*
I had a look into it a few weeks back... but would really need a Japanese text version (partly so I can copy and paste it into jdict's semi-auto trans service).

There's quite a bit of fluff in the article though.

btw, I wonder how the opening ep of StrikerS anime will be. I suspect they may start with the big fire at the airport which has been referenced many times already - it seems like quite a critical event. Then the ep could end with the skip forwards to when Nanoha and co are 19.
Old 2007-02-26, 20:55   Link #2290
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Hi - just to add my opinion to the Warship debate:

People have referred to the Asura taking 'heavy damage' the first time Prescia hit it with the wide-area inter-dimensional attack.

This does not seem accurate to me - its systems went down for a while, but were restored after some minutes. There was probably some fried circuitry as well.
Basically, the ship was 'stunned' and inoperable for a while, which to my mind is not the same as 'heavy damage', which would imply that the hull had been breached, or critical systems had been destroyed.

So, they were unable to counter-attack immediately because they had been hit by the magical equivalent of an EMP attack, and because they did not know where the attack was coming from (and may not posses weapons that can attack across dimensions?).

Also, people are questioning whether the Asura can even fight, whether it has any weapons save for Arc-en-ciel.

Let's consider that the Asure is referred to as a TSAB Warship.
A warship, by definition, is made to fight. It would have weapons and armour, perhaps shields. It would have redundancy in its critical systems.
The TSAB seem to deal with mages, lost logia, perhaps occasional magic monsters. Given that TSAB expect to encounter these things, they would surely have 'warhsips' that can hold their own against them.

If they can't even put up a fight, and are just used to ferry mages around, surely they would be called transport ships.

Cheers,
Old 2007-02-26, 22:16   Link #2291
Woden

I was really hoping this would be over, as I know when I am losing...

I would like to be possibly rude for a second (well, worse than usual) and say this:

Your entire argument is based on assumptions based on things that we are not sure happened. First off, if the hull is breached and you are in trans-dimensional space then you are not suffering heavy damage. You most likely in fact, dead. If critical systems failure AND hull damage have occurred on your vessel, and you are in trans-dimensional space then you are dead.

This is probably also wildly inaccurate. However, you ARE assuming that the TSAB frequently deals with mages along the lines of Precia. Given how quickly the enforcer squad was taken out, I would say that is wrong.

You are also assuming that the TSAB works in the way a standard military would work, even though it would seem to me that they are more like a peacekeeping or police force. It would also make sense that troops in unstable foreign countries would be given the supplies that they need. They aren't in at least one current situation.

I have more thoughts, but they are probably even more delusional than these ones.
Old 2007-02-26, 22:20   Link #2292
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Quote:
So, they were unable to counter-attack immediately because they had been hit by the magical equivalent of an EMP attack, and because they did not know where the attack was coming from (and may not posses weapons that can attack across dimensions?).
That's the best explanation we've come up with so far, I think.

Quote:
If they can't even put up a fight, and are just used to ferry mages around, surely they would be called transport ships.
Well, that depends on the mages being ferried. The most powerful vessel in the TSAB arsenal will be the one Nanoha is stationed on, and will be classified as, not a transport ship or a warship, but that most feared class of vessel... a friendship.
Old 2007-02-26, 22:37   Link #2293
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
"Your entire argument is based on assumptions based on things that we are not sure happened. First off, if the hull is breached and you are in trans-dimensional space then you are not suffering heavy damage. You most likely in fact, dead. If critical systems failure AND hull damage have occurred on your vessel, and you are in trans-dimensional space then you are dead."
You are assuming interdimensional space is like vacuum, which it may not be.
The Garden of Time loooked to be hanging in that same sort of 'space', yet Nanoha and company seemed fine standing on the outside.

You are assuming a hull breach would be instantly lethal, which it may not be.
(perhaps only part of the ship is affected, and other sections are sealed off with internal bulkheads, etc.).

Critical systems on a warship would include things like engines.
Loss of engine would not mean instant death. If they were destroyed though, it would clearly be 'heavy damage'.

The Asura was knocked out for a short while, but then functions were restored. There was no talk of heading back to HQ for repairs, which pretty much excludes 'heavy damage'.

Quote:
"you ARE assuming that the TSAB frequently deals with mages along the lines of Precia."
I am assuming the TSAB frequently deals with things powerful enough to cause inter-dimensional ruptures/interference etc., which implies a fair level of power.

Quote:
"You are also assuming that the TSAB works in the way a standard military would work, even though it would seem to me that they are more like a peacekeeping or police force."
A police force that can destoy worlds (without contacting the planetary authorities) with the Arc-en-Ciel?

It is true that the TSAB's function is not well defined, but if they cannot fight, their 'Warships' are grossly mis-named.

Quote:
"It would also make sense that troops in unstable foreign countries would be given the supplies that they need. They aren't in at least one current situation."
That seems like a seperate issue to me.
Perhaps there are many TSAB enforcers who have not been issued with Storage Devices, due to supply problems?

And to reply directly to that supply issue: that is not a case of the military making 'sense' - it is a logistical or political problem.
Either:
a) The military has the necessary supplies but is unable to get them to the troops fast enough, in which case they need more transport infrastructure, which means spending on new equipment and recruiting more staff, or
b) The military does not have the necessary supplies because politicians have not granted them the necessary budget, or in cases of large wars, have not shifted into a war-economy.

Incidentally, the TSAB appears to be quite well funded.
Since most of their patrols are idle and leisurely they are definitely not under-staffed, and they can afford fancy uniforms and bonzai/tea ceremony rooms on their patrol ships. And their ships sure are SPACIOUS.

Last edited by BatAttack; 2007-02-27 at 02:37. Reason: Adding quote tags + extra comments
Old 2007-02-26, 22:40   Link #2294
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
"The most powerful vessel in the TSAB arsenal will be the one Nanoha is stationed on, and will be classified as, not a transport ship or a warship, but that most feared class of vessel... a friendship. "
Oh... oh.... that's good..

The TSAB Cruise Patrol Friendship Asura. ^_^;

Last edited by BatAttack; 2007-02-27 at 00:12. Reason: Added quote tag.
Old 2007-02-26, 23:12   Link #2295
Kiety
Feito-ism
*Fansubber

Quote:
Precia's "ONE" attack was powered by NINE, count them, NINE Lost Logias.
hmm i could be wrong but I thought the Jewel Seeds, are fragments of the one lost logia that Yuuno found, so if we assume that Precia used the Jewel seeds in her possession then the Asura was hit with the power of less than half (9/21 or however many it was) of a Lost Logia.
Old 2007-02-26, 23:26   Link #2296
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
hmm i could be wrong but I thought the Jewel Seeds, are fragments of the one lost logia that Yuuno found, so if we assume that Precia used the Jewel seeds in her possession then the Asura was hit with the power of less than half (9/21 or however many it was) of a Lost Logia.

Hmmm... I don't recall anything about them being fragments of a single one.

But even then, we don't know how powerful lost logia are, or that all lost logia are equally powerful (it seems to be a blanket term for any ancient magical artefact) - so really individual weaker lost logia or fragments of a single super powerful lost logia does not make a big difference. They are clearly 'powerful enough'.

At the time of the first inter-dimensional attack, I'm pretty sure Prescia only had the original 4 Jewel Seeds that Fate retreived.

I also doubt she used the Jewel Seeds in her attack...
They seem quite difficult to harness - once activated it seems a struggle to contain them. I'm pretty sure she was keeping them in reserve for the 'big job' of opening the gate to Al-Hazard..
She was already concerned she did not have enough of them, so I doubt she would have wasted any of their power for extraneous attacks.

Last edited by BatAttack; 2007-02-27 at 19:50. Reason: Extra comment added.
Old 2007-02-27, 02:24   Link #2297
aers
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
Also have to consider the jewel seeds were relatively weak lost logia.. which would make them being fragments of the power of a single one make more sense.

I think in one episode they refer to one of the seeds as having a power core of like AA or AAA, which isn't on the level of the Book of Darkness lost logia, lol.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:20   Link #2298
JediNight
キズランダム

You folks do realize you're fighting over entirely fictitious "power levels" of artifacts based on personal assumptions of said powers, right? ^_^;;

This reminds me of people who fight over who would win Star Trek or Star Wars ;x
Or which Gundam would kick whose butt...
Old 2007-02-27, 04:47   Link #2299
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
You folks do realize you're fighting over entirely fictitious "power levels" of artifacts based on personal assumptions of said powers, right? ^_^;;

This reminds me of people who fight over who would win Star Trek or Star Wars ;x
Or which Gundam would kick whose butt...
[Facetious]

Fine, from now on, we shall discuss the yuri-possibility of the Subaru&Nanoha pairing.

[/Facetious]

Old 2007-02-27, 05:37   Link #2300
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

There's nothing wrong with agurments on fictional works, the only problem with this case is that there's TOO many assumptions and not alot of official information... However, it's not entirely impossible to estimate...

Quote:
[Facetious]

Fine, from now on, we shall discuss the yuri-possibility of the Subaru&Nanoha pairing.

[/Facetious]

Does Nanoha like children to begin with...? (Crap, I think I started something...)
Closed Thread