AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-11, 10:23   Link #21
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I 100% agree that gothic is a type of setting. It's not really a type of setting that Karin fits into perfectly. Karin is a typical high school shonen romance, with a "twist" that the girl is sort of a vampire (but not really). While it does have some aspects of gothic settings (namely, a focus on the occult or supernatural, mystery, haunted houses, madness, an Anti-Catholic bent and melodrama) gothic novels almost always feature terror or horror themes, which aren't really part of Karin. If there were actually a recognized "gothic romance" genre (one of those buzzwords that's an oxymoron), then it would belong to that.

That being said, if you're just using gothic in the colloquial sense of "vampire stuff" than, yeah, obviously Karin belongs in it.
Yes its not as gothic as most people would think but its gothic enough to count. its not just vampire "stuff"

But this has nothing to do with anything so why bother arguing.
Old 2006-04-11, 11:44   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think ya'll were "clarifying" more than "arguing" ...

but yeah, vampires tend to be clumped into "gothic" regardless of setting, though "gothic" stories *tend* to be horror or fantasy stories in Victorian era settings.

Its like some people call Star Wars "science fiction" and some "science fantasy" and some "just fantasy with some pseudo-science"
Old 2006-04-11, 12:51   Link #23
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Lol you know evey one has there opinion and you could have tons of names or discriptions for every thing..... so theres not much to clarify.

But the concept is interesting....

one manga I would say that has a vampire but isent gothic is negima. Eva is a vampire but see is not the main mian charicter so the seting isent goth.....

now im just going to rant on and on and on..........................................

(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <)
bunnys are cute!
Old 2006-04-11, 13:35   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

darn.. now you have me wishing the next volume of Negima would come out ... bleh, not til May.
Old 2006-04-23, 11:00   Link #25
The Kid
Greets you from A-Safari!

Send a message via MSN to The Kid
Thumbs up

Hmmm.. a good manga, too bad they renamed the manga.
I really want to buy that manga, but i have a girlfriend that has the Original Manga(Raw)
Maybe i can find that picture =3

Got it.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...ou/karin01.jpg

I think that i gonna buy it in Amsterdam hmm..

Anju is sugoi and i like EGL *dreams away*
But the anime is noy really gothic and the manga is so what the same in that aspect.

Over & Out~! The Kid...
Old 2006-04-23, 12:54   Link #26
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
It's pretty funny. I can't wait for the next one. Does Karin seem a lot less timid in the manga prior to the anime?

Usui-kun and Anju look better in anime form...hm, weird.
Old 2006-05-02, 10:13   Link #27
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

TokyoPOP announced the release date for Chibi Vampire volume two set for August 8th, that's just three months in wating.

Volume two cover
Old 2006-05-23, 03:51   Link #28
netj999

Chibi Vampire (AKA Karin) Manga

Is the manga the same as the anime or is it really different? Are the endings both the same in the anime and the manga?
Old 2006-05-23, 11:23   Link #29
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
"Chibi Vampire"....

*shiver*

Where the heck did they get thatname from? It...sounds horrible. Just like how they renamed Detective Conan to "Case Closed"....what's chibi about Karin?...she's in high school... >.>

Sorry, that just gets to me.
Old 2006-05-23, 16:20   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

To pull a quote: "Chibi Vampire is so embarrassing" .. to be seen with. Definitely a book jacket cover for this series. To people unfamiliar with the terms it sounds like vampiric hamsters or something.

@netj999: Unless someone like Guido cares to enlighten netj999 via PM .... the series is only on volume 1 in EN with volume 2 about to release. I'd have to spend some time at amazon.jp to determine how many volumes are out in JP.
Old 2006-05-23, 16:31   Link #31
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by netj999
Is the manga the same as the anime or is it really different? Are the endings both the same in the anime and the manga?
The anime only adapted volumes 1, 2, and 5 from the manga and completely went onto a different path. Some changes were made to the following characters:
- Fumio Usui character story is totally discarded in the anime, but the third manga volume revolves around her.
- Anju does never takes on Karin side. She's distant of her big sister in the manga, unlike the anime.
- There's no Sinclair family in the manga, meaning no Winner for the joy and relief of anti-Winner fans out there.
- Elda's character is slightly different in the manga from her anime counterpart. Her past story is also different too.
- In the manga Anju has NOT yet awakened as a full vampire.
- Manga Maki serves most as a supporting character for Karin to encourage her to date Kenta. Since there's no Winner in the manga, Maki's role is minor and her involvement in the plot is also minimal.

The manga is ongoing and has not given signs that is going to end soon.
Old 2006-05-23, 16:44   Link #32
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Why not just "Karin"? And why flip the image on the cover?
Old 2006-05-23, 17:16   Link #33
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Anju does never takes on Karin side. She's distant of her big sister in the manga, unlike the anime.
That may change a lot with how the last manga volume was evolving

Quote:
- Manga Maki serves most as a supporting character for Karin to encourage her to date Kenta. Since there's no Winner in the manga, Maki's role is minor and her involvement in the plot is also minimal.
Well... at least in the last manga volume her supporting role was reinforced, maybe she can be promoted now from circumstancial character to supporting character And well, she got a cover with karin, and now a back story as well

Quote:
The manga is ongoing and has not given signs that is going to end soon.
Indeed, I though they were giving it some closure signs with Volume 7 but Volume 8 just opened a whole other story arc.... I'm starting to feel they are stretching it though :/

Quote:
AFAIK they had already another title with a similar name so they had to change it
Old 2006-05-23, 20:41   Link #34
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious
Tokyopop publishes another title with Karin in the title (Kamichama Karin) so they decided they needed to distinguish the two in some way after they had a similar problem with their Gatcha gacha and Del Ray's Gacha Gacha (maybe that's the other way around).

The flipped cover was a printing mistake, second and subsequent printings are supposed to have the cover on correctly.
Old 2006-05-23, 20:42   Link #35
netj999

ok thxs for the info. Just does anybody know why they changed the title from "Karin" to "Chibi Vampire"? Cause as most people have said the new name is really bad. Like what's with the name change anyways. Like they even changed "Groove Adventure Rave"(AKA Rave) to "RaveMaster", like I don't see the need for them to change the titlles of some of their manga. The change for Karin just seems really stupid, and I agree with what Shinji103 said there is not one thing small/little about Karin she's in High School. Very annoying but as long as the story is good I'll still buy it.
Old 2006-05-23, 21:30   Link #36
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netj999
ok thxs for the info. Just does anybody know why they changed the title from "Karin" to "Chibi Vampire"?
It's already been stated in rooboy's post. Not sure about that other stuff you mentioned, but yeah, title change = huh.
But "Chibi Vampire"? I mean, c'mon, what other names did they reject? I would have gone with Wii
Old 2006-05-23, 21:54   Link #37
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
yeah i know why "chibi vampire"? she's not even chibi...... -__________-||||
Old 2006-05-23, 22:30   Link #38
rooboy
Umeboshi!

As for why they chose "Chibi Vampire", I have no idea. They've never said anything about it one way or the other. It is an odd title, but really, no odder than most manga titles (I mean, Tite Kubo said Bleach is named after a Nirvana album. The title has zero to do with the actual manga.).
If I were to guess (and I stress that this is a guess), it's to differentiate it from something like Hellsing or Vampire Hunter D (more adult, serious vampire works). Chibi sounds cute, and has a pronunciation in English that approximates its pronunciation in japanese much better than kawaii does. I'm pretty sure it wasn't named to appeal to us (people who already knew what it was about), but to catch the eyes of bookstore readers.
And, yes, for the record, I'm not particularly fond of the title either.
Old 2006-05-24, 00:19   Link #39
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

I doubt "Busty Vampire" would work either

All the vol 1 books I've seen have the erroroneous cover...I'm hoping my bookstores get a second printing in...
Old 2006-05-24, 01:27   Link #40
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This is the cover for volume eight, which came out in April. It covers chapters 31 to 35, plus includes a Maki special.

Just like ProtoMan posted, Maki is given more substance in her role starting at this point in the manga.

The Maki special recounts the circumstances in which both Karin and Maki met and became friends.

Volume eight can be thought of as the beginning of ACT 2 for the Karin manga. ACT 1 covers volumes one to seven, which Kagezaki Yuna gave closure to a major story arc for both Kenta and Karin at the end of volume seven.

She's a new character who begins to appear in the manga from volume eight. Until now, she has been very bad news to Karin as attempts to outdo and outperform her at Julian's
However, she has not become a potential threat as of yet between Karin and Kenta in the love field.
Closed Thread

Tags
shounen, vampire