AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-01-21, 14:53   Link #1881
DQueenie13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I don't see how hundreds of thousands of adventurers worldwide have to fear ~90 <Genius>.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but can monsters enter Adventurer cities?
As of volume 6, they can enter Akiba.

Spoiler for untranslated parts, already mentioned elsewhere but there are some only following the translated parts:


Oh, and another random question...
If William Massachusetts shot an apple off a child's head, would he then be William Tell? (O-ho-ho)
__________________

Last edited by DQueenie13; 2014-01-21 at 16:01.
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 17:28   Link #1882
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In the Horizon
Age: 37
To be honest, I've always wondered if William's name, especially the "Massachusetts" has any significance to Mamare =3

*mental note to ask if there's a 3rd Q&A*
__________________

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 19:11   Link #1883
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grancel City, Liberl Kingdom
That's an interesting theory. (As in GM = Genius) But why would just simply telling them (The Knights Orders) that they were AI would send them to a coma?

Still I guess the moment of hesitation would have been enough, but an act of hostility would have snapped even a Lander back into "reality" and react into an attack.

Though this whole debate on whether Elder Tales is a Virtual Game or alternate world just got even trickier if a Lander/Non-adventurer would even know what an AI means.

Anyways this is a question for Mamare for the 3rd q and a
__________________
«Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC»

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 21:55   Link #1884
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arcane Sanctuary
The genius didn't tell the knight orders that they were AI.

The genius said they were puppet.
__________________
I know
Lazgrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 22:00   Link #1885
Ganja
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangkok / SK
I have to defend Minori-chan a little bit

1. Her 'Total Control' is only ~10 seconds. Which is 1-2 rounds tops to keep track of damage/MP
2. She did jack all but watch combat and for adds, makes #1 a huge amount easier
3. Apprentice sub-class, and Shiroe-sensei as master, could have larger impact than MMO rules
4. He did teach the twins for quite a while, and gave a journal of his tactics to Minori-chan
5. It's easy to look smart when surrounded by ditzes in Team Scrub

For the love interest ... isn't he like 10yrs older? Might work for 30-40yo, but at that age .. not so much!
Ganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 02:24   Link #1886
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I don't see how hundreds of thousands of adventurers worldwide have to fear ~90 <Genius>.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but can monsters enter Adventurer cities?
Just two of these <Genius> manipulated tens of thousands of goblins, buffed them, controlled a raid boss, buffed it, and was about to overrun China.

I think you underestimate just how broken and program bug-like their powers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgrane View Post
The genius didn't tell the knight orders that they were AI.

The genius said they were puppet.
That's just plain wrong.
Quote:
「シッテイルゾ。コライシュ——イヤ、ダイチジンノスベテモ。キクンラハスベテ〈ニンギョウ〉——イシナキ クグツ、ジンカクソフトウェアニスギナイト」
"I know what you are... the Ancients, no, all of the Landers, you all are nothing but dolls... puppets lacking of your own will, and nothing but personality software."

personality software, 人格プログラム, is a fancy Japanese word for Artificial Intelligence, dude.

Of course, let's not forget that Kanami denies this, tells Elias that he is a real person, and that breaks the curse.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 08:33   Link #1887
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Of course, let's not forget that Kanami denies this, tells Elias that he is a real person, and that breaks the curse.
Nevertheless, this is a huge boost to the "this world is an artificial construct" theory.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 10:10   Link #1888
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In the Horizon
Age: 37
What interests me is how the <Genius>s' words are all written in katakana. AFAIK, this is usually reserved for non-Japanese and non-human entities like robots and perhaps aliens as well.
__________________

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 07:07   Link #1889
mucen
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

"I know what you are... the Ancients, no, all of the Landers, you all are nothing but dolls... puppets lacking of your own will, and nothing but personality software."

personality software, 人格プログラム, is a fancy Japanese word for Artificial Intelligence, dude.
I bet that they're as shocked as pure little kids when someone told them santa does not exist. But really, someone gotta break the news to them that in this world, they're no mere programs
mucen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 12:26   Link #1890
Breimoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucen View Post
I bet that they're as shocked as pure little kids when someone told them santa does not exist. But really, someone gotta break the news to them that in this world, they're no mere programs
what if it really is an artificial world and they used part of the players as monsters/npcs?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 18:57   Link #1891
DQueenie13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Hmm, is this one of the fan works for Log Horizon that Mamare approved of? http://ncode.syosetu.com/n2271w/
__________________
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 22:38   Link #1892
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In the Horizon
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
Hmm, is this one of the fan works for Log Horizon that Mamare approved of? http://ncode.syosetu.com/n2271w/
I think so. I can't quite remember the details but I once read that Misa's character and I think the ideas behind the Drei-Klauen was adopted from a D.D.D. fan work, probably this.
__________________

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 01:40   Link #1893
Voceane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hidden in the shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
"I know what you are... the Ancients, no, all of the Landers, you all are nothing but dolls... puppets lacking of your own will, and nothing but personality software."

personality software, 人格プログラム, is a fancy Japanese word for Artificial Intelligence, dude.

Of course, let's not forget that Kanami denies this, tells Elias that he is a real person, and that breaks the curse.
Sorry but it means personality not natural. That means is in our world made by computer data processing. thus you are not wrong in saying personality software but this is right in our world only.
In the world of log horizon, they don't have any computer. The only thing who can replace them are magic. You can try to create a spell to create an AI but it's more easy to use summoning. You take something who already exist, summon it and put it in puppet. You have something who are artificial because it's create from nothing and can be create with the log horizon technology.
Voceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 02:02   Link #1894
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 42
form vol6 part 4.

Quote:
After dancing at the ball in the Ancient palace of eternal ice with Shiroe, Henrietta feels fine with helping Shiroe. Aiding Shiroe and Akatsuki from the dark suits Henrietta's personality well.
Quote:
"Not everything will go as Shiroe planned, especially... the resolve of the girls."
i really hope Mamre change his mind about Henerietta not being one of the main girls.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 06:00   Link #1895
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voceane View Post
Sorry but it means personality not natural. That means is in our world made by computer data processing. thus you are not wrong in saying personality software but this is right in our world only.
In the world of log horizon, they don't have any computer. The only thing who can replace them are magic. You can try to create a spell to create an AI but it's more easy to use summoning. You take something who already exist, summon it and put it in puppet. You have something who are artificial because it's create from nothing and can be create with the log horizon technology.
What in the blazes are you babbling about?
I'm talking about literally what the <GENIUS> said, you know, the alien creatures aware of outside the limit of the game.
I was clarifying what they actually SAID, and not stating my opinion on the subject.

It has nothing to do with how it relates to in context of the setting of Log Horizon world, it was a purposely creepy characteristics of <Genius> to make them seem beyond 4th-wall awareness, much like the players themselves. Meaning, they are referring to OUR world semantics, and not bound to the awareness of within Theldesia.

They said "software" As in, the actual English word. Written in Japanese. OK? Did I need to make that part clear?
Actually I suspect you have a problem with the English part of the conversation to begin with, seeing how broken your post is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nevertheless, this is a huge boost to the "this world is an artificial construct" theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucen View Post
I bet that they're as shocked as pure little kids when someone told them santa does not exist. But really, someone gotta break the news to them that in this world, they're no mere programs
Yeah, it could go either way.
The thing is... because we don't know exactly what these <Genius> are, their POV may or may not be telling the truth, or their comprehension may or may not be beyond the knowledge scope players possess. Just as many players who were familiar with the game, and thus assumed the Landers are AI, these "program bug" like creatures may have come to the same conclusion. So they could be just as wrong, and their intent was clearly malice, I don't think we should take it at face value yet.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2014-01-24 at 06:30.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 06:53   Link #1896
Naole
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Hi there!

I'm still in Vol 6 & yet to get to 7 but I read an online summary of the crucial details (not concerned about spoilers) but there is something that puzzles me; who are the Novasphere Pioneers?

Taking into account the Scientific meaning of Nova; cataclysmic nuclear explosion in a white dwarf - one could conclude that Novasphere means Energy Sphere or in simple terms Light Sphere.

Last edited by Naole; 2014-01-24 at 07:09.
Naole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 07:27   Link #1897
Voceane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hidden in the shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What in the blazes are you babbling about?
I'm talking about literally what the <GENIUS> said, you know, the alien creatures aware of outside the limit of the game.
I was clarifying what they actually SAID, and not stating my opinion on the subject.
Cool your head a little, it's not like I bite you or anything. But, you are right I'm bad in English.

What I want to know is how people of the land, ancients, or the knight of the divers order will understand the word "SOFTWARE" (and BTW it's not the word software who is use but program, 人格プログラム means program(プログラム) of personality(人格))? I know the world is post apocalyptic but the people are back in the medieval time (for the technology), I never read something about them using computer.

How "人格プログラム" can stress the ancients enough to be kill, if they can't understand the meaning? That's why I said, the meaning is from the world of Log Horizon and not from our world. The only "technology" they have who can be compared to informatics is the magic.
I will quote what you said: "personality software, 人格プログラム, is a fancy Japanese word for Artificial Intelligence, dude." You said it "ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE". What the meaning of ARTIFICIAL? Doesn't it means who is not natural? How can you create something like intelligence with the medieval technology? The answer is, it's not possible!
But if you use magic you can summon something who can serve as intelligence. You just have to put it in a golem(as you don't like the word puppet), and you have something like a robot.

I only want to say that "人格プログラム" never erase the possibility of a summoning in an other world.
Voceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 07:49   Link #1898
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole View Post
Hi there!

I'm still in Vol 6 & yet to get to 7 but I read an online summary of the crucial details (not concerned about spoilers) but there is something that puzzles me; who are the Novasphere Pioneers?

Taking into account the Scientific meaning of Nova; cataclysmic nuclear explosion in a white dwarf - one could conclude that Novasphere means Energy Sphere or in simple terms Light Sphere.

It Noosphere not Novasphere.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 08:05   Link #1899
Naole
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Question Noosphere not Novasphere

Are you saying that something got lost in the translation?

Because I rather like your Noosphere concept; it fits better!

On the other hand a virtual reality simulation can be considered to be a Hard Light Construct; thus a Light Sphere. Is it possible that all the Translators and wiki's got it wrong? Ockham's Razor?

Last edited by Naole; 2014-01-24 at 08:19. Reason: additional idea
Naole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 08:12   Link #1900
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voceane View Post
Cool your head a little, it's not like I bite you or anything. But, you are right I'm bad in English.

What I want to know is how people of the land, ancients, or the knight of the divers order will understand the word "SOFTWARE" (and BTW it's not the word software who is use but program, 人格プログラム means program(プログラム) of personality(人格))? I know the world is post apocalyptic but the people are back in the medieval time (for the technology), I never read something about them using computer.

How "人格プログラム" can stress the ancients enough to be kill, if they can't understand the meaning? That's why I said, the meaning is from the world of Log Horizon and not from our world. The only "technology" they have who can be compared to informatics is the magic.
I will quote what you said: "personality software, 人格プログラム, is a fancy Japanese word for Artificial Intelligence, dude." You said it "ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE". What the meaning of ARTIFICIAL? Doesn't it means who is not natural? How can you create something like intelligence with the medieval technology? The answer is, it's not possible!
But if you use magic you can summon something who can serve as intelligence. You just have to put it in a golem(as you don't like the word puppet), and you have something like a robot.

I only want to say that "人格プログラム" never erase the possibility of a summoning in an other world.
Goddamnit.
It's very clear you still don't understand what was being discussed.
I agree with you, but like I said, I was NOT expressing my opinion on the matter
I PERSONALLY agree that they are not programs. But I am NOT a frickin' <GENIUS>, a fictional antagonist in a bloody novel.

I was telling you what the <GENIUS> said, not the veracity of their claims.

Christ, it's not that hard. Again, I was clarifying what they said. I was not speaking AS one of them. I was translating.
You're arguing a fictional argument that doesn't even exist!

A personality program (or software) is a common word used to mean artificial, computerized, personality. An AI. IN JAPANESE FICTION.
I am a bloody Japanese native, I'm perfectly familiar with the word FFS. As for why the Ancients understood it, who knows, but the <GENIUS> used it as a mind-spell, it's possible even a foreign word is understood simply by nature of the curse. But that's actually irrelevant.
What's important is that <GENIUS> are monsters self-aware of the "game", and have knowledge of it, just like the players. That's why they know what a "software" is. That's the WHOLE POINT of their characteristics.

But I repeat again, I'm explaining what the correct translation of what they said.
I'M NOT A BLOODY TENTACLE MONSTER. Unfortunately I only got one penis.

You know what this reminds me? This reminds me when I translated what a stereotyped representation of animal replacement for each country was in Cat Shit One, and some moron who doesn't understand English assumed I was making the stereotype. And neg-repped me for TRANSLATING. It is infuriatingly annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naole View Post
Are you saying that something got lost in the translation?

Because I rather like your Noosphere concept; it fits better!

On the other hand a virtual reality simulation can be considered to be a Hard Light Construct; thus a Light Sphere. Is it possible that all the Translators and wiki's got it wrong? Ockham's Razor?
Nothing got lost in the translation, Crunchyroll translaters are just lazy douches who refuse to do any research or fix their mistakes.

It was always Noosphere, no translation involved. Becuase it's written IN ENGLISH to begin with.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2014-01-24 at 09:08.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.