3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-03-07, 04:04   Link #441
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Here's the first part of a very long interview with the director published in Product Works (September 2013).
Thank you for providing us with the interview... I so imagined many scenarios ... in fact I'm in my theorizing habit again... wish to read the second part soon ...
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 22:28   Link #442
Kusaja

I thought it would be appropriate to skip ahead a few pages in the Kazuki Akane PW interview, which covers several other subjects related to the characters and the production as a whole, in order to present the last part where the director actually talks a little bit about Episode 2. I'll still come back to post the rest of the translated pages in order (and update one of the posts with links to the complete set), but this particular section is mostly independent from the others.

Quote:

-------------

This country's "current state” that mirrors the E.U. decadence

The condition of the E.U. is depicted as the reality faced by Akito and the others. The lack of tension felt by the warriors, the prejudice against the Eleven, the sense that the war in their country is someone else's affair, and more specifically the "homecoming celebration party" attitude of Leila's adopted brothers are all portrayed in quite a critical view.

With the E.U. I tried to express and emphasize a bit the possibility of democracy’s fate that I've personally sensed.

For example, the setting is that there are three presidents in the E.U. and nothing gets done if these three presidents don't all give their mutual consent. Since it's nearly impossible for all of them to ever give their OK to the same thing, nothing is ever accomplished. Original democracy was a system where each citizen was supposed to bear their own responsibilities, but with the incorporation of the delegate system, the responsibility is forced upon someone else, and the individual ultimately shows little interest. Transformation to that kind of system poses some risks in my opinion.

Under the topic of let's all take on this responsibility together, in the end you created a plot where no one does take any responsibility.

While saying things like "individual rights" and "due process," in the end, nobody really wants to sacrifice for those things, and I get the sense that modern day Japan is trending towards this state, so there are scenes portrayed in the E.U that indirectly reflect this personal crisis of mine.

In reality, there are times where we have to take risks instead of doing nothing while demanding individual rights and personal gain. I get the feeling that if everyone started to think more like that, there would be more harmony in society and we’d become more kind and gentle… (laughs)

However, right in the middle of creating my story with these thoughts in mind, the earthquake of March 11th (2011) occurred and turned everything upside down.

The Great Earthquake of Eastern Japan and the sequence of events that followed brought a huge shock to the country of Japan and the Japanese people. Naturally, the arts and entertainment worlds were also inevitably affected.

There definitely was a moment of fear and anxiety that Japan could actually collapse. At the time, the question was reiterated to me again of, “What would the Japanese people do if they lost Japan?” I’m from the era that was exposed in real time to Komatsu Sakyo’s book “Japan Sinks,” and it brought back memories of that. In a sense, the theme depicted in “Akito the Exiled” became very alive and real…

Thus “Japanese people who lost Japan.” Of course, the circumstances that befall Akito and the others are completely different from reality, but that theme may have unexpectedly held a strange sense of reality.

Use of the word “bond” once became really popular, and back then we said, “Now we can’t use the word ‘bond’ anymore even as a joke.” The word “bond” had a strangely deep meaning, but on the contrary, its influence just became shallower and shallower the more it was used. This phenomenon was very thought-provoking for me in a lot of different ways.

All of the perspectives you’ve shared with me up to this point have really added a new atmosphere to the world of “Code Geass,” and as I take a step back, in your depicting of Akito and the others, I can get a bird’s-eye view of the circumstances of the world in their background. After having watched “Akito the Exiled” and then watching “Lelouch of the Rebellion” again, it’s really interesting how I could feel a different depth to the drama surrounding Lelouch and the others.

Yes, I think that’s right. I’m getting older now (laughs), so I like to scatter those kinds of elements here and there throughout my entertainment. And you really only need “a few of them,” and when they’re present, I think the work becomes more three dimensional.

Furthermore, since this wasn’t for a TV series, I think it may have worked to my advantage. In the case of TV, there’s an aspect where you almost have to worry too much about the instant reaction of the viewers, so no matter what, your creation tends to lean too much towards “business” rather than “expression.” In that regard, I think I was able to avoid that with this work.

So, even in the midst of all that, “Lelouch of the Rebellion” really challenged me as a TV series. As part of entertainment, you have to present something with a spine while still keeping the viewers engaged, so for that exact reason I think it has had such deep-rooted support until now as a production.

Even “Akito the Exiled” can be enjoyed simply as entertainment, but if it was also an inlet for sparking interest in the history of the past, and it gave the younger generation a reason to think about what they wanted to become, then I’d really be thrilled with both of those aspects.

----------

Fundamental affection and hatred become themes in Chapter 2 and beyond.

An Invitation to the Second Chapter – Drama Turned Mystery

I’d now like to ask you about the second chapter. In Chapter 2, "The Wyvern Divided,” what kind of developments await us?

Now things are finally going to get chaotic (laughs). All of the characters up until now will start moving in different directions. On top of that, there are new characters who will make their entrance…so trying to organize all of that was quite a task (laughs). It was an extremely complicated process.

Will we see more activity from the wZERO unit who really didn’t play a role in Chapter 1?

I think so. You should get some degree of understanding about exactly what kind of unit the wZERO are, and you’ll also get a look into the relationships of the characters. Along with that, another key point is that you will undoubtedly see who are the real “enemies” of Akito and the others. In Chapter 1 there was a person whom you needed to be on the lookout for (laughs), and that will also be clearly revealed. Then, for some reason Leila will find herself riding a Knightmare Frame (laughs).

Yes, there was a scene in the trailer where Leila was wearing a pilot’s suit.

Why must the commanding officer ride a Knightmare? There’s a little mystery to that as well.

On the subject of the trailer, we also got a glimpse of Suzaku and C.C.’s faces. I’m sure the interest among the fans is extremely high, so what kind of activity can we expect to see from them?

I can’t reveal that just yet…and remember the trailer is just a few images (laughs). But, there will be a lot of surprises, and we’ve taken it in a direction that will thoroughly satisfy everyone, so I feel like there’s a lot to look forward to.

There is also a part of this work that will be slightly like a mystery. There are various aspects of Akito and Leila that have yet to be revealed. For example, who bestowed what Geass upon Akito, and why does Shin have Geass? From the beginning, there is also a mystery hidden in the battle that takes place at the start of Chapter 1. With the enemy appearing from seemingly everywhere, Akito is referred to as “Hannibal’s Ghost,” so what exactly is the strategy of the wZERO unit? From that point it becomes a mystery, and there’s just too much beyond that which I can’t really talk about (laughs).

Therefore, in conclusion and to summarize...as I’ve sat here and talked to you, I’ve gotten the feeling that you were especially conscious of the younger fans as you created this work. So with them in mind, please tell us about a highlight that you would like them to watch for.

Hmm…I think one thing for sure is the combat action of the Knightmare Frames. I think it’s one of the high-point spectacles of this work, and we really put a lot of effort into it, so that’s one area where I’d like them to focus.

As for the drama part of things, there’s the connection between the people, and it’s not only limited to love dramas and stories of friendship, but fundamental affection and hatred are also themes. I’d be thrilled if the viewers enjoy that part of it as well, and I hope they stay with us beyond just the second chapter!
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 08:29   Link #443
gordol
Banned

OVA 3 delayed again...

gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 09:06   Link #444
Blackmambauk

not a surprise really, considering they hadn't announced a date for it when it's out spring 2014. Wondering if it's the animation again, since I heard ova episode two got delayed because they wanted to test out new CGI tech for it.
Blackmambauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 11:05   Link #445
Kusaja

Yes, that's unfortunate but not really unexpected at this point in time.
Old 2014-03-22, 15:05   Link #446
Gundamx

late with good quality better than early when shitty image/story
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 20:15   Link #447
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^True that. I'd prefer waiting a few more months & get beautiful animation, rather than rushing the release & giving half-assed animation.

---------------------------
So I'm assuming it'd come out somewhere around August/September like OVA 2?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 18:18   Link #448
gordol
Banned

Translation of the announcement.
[official news] We’re working hard on Chapter 3!

To all our fans

Thank you for your continued support of Akito the Exiled. We’re truly grateful.

There may be people who will say, “This again?”, and it is with a heavy heart that we must inform you that the planned spring release for Chapter 3 “The Brightness Falls” has been postponed.

Presently, the supervising staff are working diligently on making Chapter 3 more interesting, and are working on the final Chapter as well so it will not be delayed. We want you to be able to watch Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 without waiting in between.

Please wait for an official announcement for the screening date shortly.

We apologize to those who are waiting for the screening for being unable to meet your expectations, but we do ask you for your understanding.

Yoshitaka Kawaguchi, Akito the Exiled Producer
Old 2014-03-29, 23:45   Link #449
Zero Gravity
~

Quote:
For example, the setting is that there are three presidents in the E.U. and nothing gets done if these three presidents don't all give their mutual consent. Since it's nearly impossible for all of them to ever give their OK to the same thing, nothing is ever accomplished. Original democracy was a system where each citizen was supposed to bear their own responsibilities, but with the incorporation of the delegate system, the responsibility is forced upon someone else, and the individual ultimately shows little interest.
God bless Akane Kazuki.
Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 23:47   Link #450
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Do we have date for chapter 4 anyway. They cannot delay if they didn't set the date to begin with

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 18:41   Link #451
Kusaja

Going back to the interview with director Kazuki Akane, here's the continuation of my first post.

Special thanks to Eternal Dreamer for helping out.

Quote:
-----------
Since they used a male with Lelouch, I decided this time I would make the main character in the story a female, so I came up with Leila.

The surprising starting point of the Heroine, Leila

-So, in creating the concrete world for “Akito the Exiled” it all started with development of the characters?

To be honest, I really hadn’t envisioned the framework of the entire story yet, so until those thoughts came to me I just plowed ahead in producing the characters. This current work actually takes place in between “Lelouch of the Rebellion” and “Lelouch of the Rebellion R2” which brings me to the point that the story’s conclusion was limited from the beginning. There was absolutely no way we could do a happy ending by “establishing a wonderful earth nation,” and there was no way we could restore the country of Japan. So having to create a world under those terms was very difficult, and the story didn’t just come from sunrise to sundown. As a result, it all began with a rough development of the characters first.

Since they had used a male with Lelouch, I decided this time I would make the main character in the story a female, so I came up with Leila. Then, when I revealed the setting for her “Leila…32 years old…has children…is divorced,” everyone was completely against it (laughs).

(Interviewer laughs)

I was like “what’s wrong with that?!” (laughing). I argued, “Lelouch was a student, so why can’t we use a 32 year-old for this story?! I think a 32 year-old heroine is totally acceptable!” but they all ganged up on me and finally persuaded me saying, “A 32 year-old in anime is too old! And she can’t have kids!” (laughs).

-The result then was a mature 17 year-old (laughs). So, the first thing you came up with, rather, the catalyst for your character image was Leila?

Leila is the one who sees the mystery that is the Japanese person, Akito. This Japanese person has lost his country, so what is he fighting for? I thought it would be good to develop her in this manner.

-So the story of this Japanese person who lost his country is not told through his eyes...rather, it’s told through the observing eyes of this Leila who comes from a different country, Britannia?

Yes, and this Leila has given up her own country of Britannia and lives as an exile in the E.U. This is how my image of her was first developed.

When I asked Producer Kawaguchi “What was the theme of [Lelouch of the Rebellion]”, he responded “a battle between adults and children”. What was created in Code Geass was the image of children being sucked into a system built by adults without any choice in the matter and wanting to do something about it while struggling forward. In that case, Leila should also be like that, is what I thought. Therefore, I thought, “How about a girl having to fight in the E.U. while being both a Britannian and an exiled noble?”. Her character was completed in that way.

-----
The clumsy image of youth included in Akito

-If Leila was the starting point, then how did the protagonist Akito’s character come about?

For Akito, it was when we were talking about “What are young people today looking for in anime heroes?”, and someone made the comment “Aren’t they looking for ‘chuunibyou’-type (note: delusional) characters?” (Laughter). But back then I said “What the hell’s a chuunibyou!?”.

-So you weren’t familiar with the term “chuunibyou” itself (Laughter).

That’s right (Laughter). So, they showed me books that were kind of like explanatory diagrams on chuunibyou, and while I was thinking “So this is what chuunibyou refers to…”, I tentatively tried consciously thinking that way, but… after thinking over various things, I understood that I myself seemed to be “chuunibyou” at my core (Laughter).

-(Laughter)

I really didn't want to think about it (Laughter). Well, having said that, summing up Akito with just the word “chuunibyou” was too stereotyped, so it ended up being a little different from that.

-Then, if you were to explain Akito’s image a bit more concretely?

In short, he views the world in a slightly slanted fashion, and though aware of the power he hides, he doesn't let it out. He actually strongly desires comrades, but whether because he was betrayed by comrades in the past or experienced some kind of trauma, he secludes himself in a shell without getting close to others… That kind of image.

That “shell” gradually comes off due to meeting new comrades—but the “strength” that he possesses and is self-aware of might be sustained by secluding himself in a shell. In other words, if that shell comes off, he might become an “ordinary person”… Akito is a character that just barely walks along that line.

I've created this kind of character countless times up until now, but I thought I should face this kind of character once again this time.

-There was also a part of you that was conscious having Akito contrast with Lelouch, right?

Lelouch is a character who doesn't care about what methods he chooses for the sake of results. He has the facet where, if the result is correct and just, it doesn't matter how evil the process to achieve it may be. I think that part of him is modernistic and fascinating, but in contrast to that, Akito may have been partly made as a character that is like “I also want the process to be correct and just due to my pride”.

Rather, by doing his best to make sure the process is correct and just, he can’t arrive at the ideal result. I tried to create that kind of clumsy guy.

-It’s true that Lelouch was fascinating due to being skilled when it comes to being both good and bad, and conducted himself well when responding to the situation at hand.

When I was young, I think part of me had a longing for those kinds of characters and saw them as heroes. But, humans don’t consist of just those kinds of people. There are also those who, though clumsy, live and do their best, and there are sometimes moments when that looks beautiful. There are also those with a bushido or chivalry-like image. That goes for not just Akito; the Euro Britannia characters also possess hearts of chivalry.

-If Lelouch’s way of life is to stress the importance of the “objective” and not care about the chosen means if it’s for the sake of achieving it, Akito and the others have a way of life that places importance on the process or “path” that is heading somewhere. In other words, the difference between their two ways of life is “What should I live for?” and “How should I live?”, right?

That’s correct. I think that you can see it that way. What follows is the theme of “People who only pursue their own personal happiness are selfish”. This is not limited to Akito, all the characters have that side to them that thinks this way. Leila fights not for the sake of her honor but to carry out justice, and Ryou’s group also treasures their “comrades”. I didn't want to create characters that “betray their comrades as long as they themselves end up fine” that much this time.

While we were thinking that, we came up with Akito and Leila, as well as Ryou, Ayano and Yukiya, anyway, we thought ideas like “This person is this kind of character” and “They went through these kinds of experiences up till now”. So, it ended up feeling like “It should be interesting if only these kinds of characters appear, so let’s all think of a concrete story” (Laughter).

-By the way, is there some reason behind the name “Hyuuga Akito”?

Okouchi-san came up with some slightly elaborate names for the Japanese when they were doing “Lelouch of the Rebellion”. Like Kururugi Suzaku. That’s why we decided to make the names relatively simple this time. At the same time, we wanted the show to have the soul of Japan by giving them names that symbolize Japan. So, while we were investigating, we ended up choosing “Hyuuga” from the land of “Hyuuga”, the territory that Emperor Jimmu first alighted upon. This land where the building of our nation started is divine and solemn, but it’s also a land that has been forgotten due to the center of the country moving to Yamato. Speaking of which, Akechi Mitsuhide was also “Hyuuga no Kami”—when we thought of that, it somehow had a lonely and sad echo to it as well. We thought that kind of atmosphere would suit Akito. The name “Akito” doesn't have any especially deep meaning to it, we just honestly chose it for the way it sounded. There was never really any other name candidate; he was just Akito from the beginning.

----
We can see the characters thanks to the good performance of the cast

-Using those character images you spoke of as the core, you then had CLAMP make the character designs, right?

That’s correct. However, it was still far from concrete back then, so CLAMP-san splendidly retorted “We understand that Akito is smart, but we don’t really understand his character” (Laughter).

Concerning Akito’s character, we ourselves didn't actually grasp it until recently. We truly went along with it while thinking “Just what kind of person is he?”, and recently we finally managed to understand him. That’s the impression we got.

-Rather, was a new character image born while looking at the characters designed by CLAMP-san?

Right, right. We actually started to think that way, like “Akito is this kind of character, now we can do this!”, after the post-recording of the first episode was finished. Irino Miyu-kun was doing the voice for Akito, and it was then I really felt “Ah, this is it”. It really felt like we were fumbling around until that point.

However, I think that applies not just to ourselves, but to the original animation too. When the post-recording ended, along with the dubbing, sound effects and music, and the first episode was completed, we then finally managed to grasp a concrete response on the characters and the work, thinking to ourselves “Yeah, they’re like this”.

-Akito’s voice actor Irino Miyu and Leila’s Sakamoto Maaya. What was the reason for choosing these two cast members?

Irino-kun, at any rate, gave off the impression of being intensely skilled at acting. He did the protagonist Senkawa Tsutomu in “Birdy the Mighty Decode”, where his power of expression was magnificent. Also, Irino-kun has played many roles of modern and calm young men, but I thought he was actually interesting when he did delicate and sharp roles as well, so I want to hear Irino-kun act out that kind of role in our work. I thought that, if it’s him and his comprehensive ability, he would probably come to thoroughly understand the role and perform it properly. So, when I asked him to take Akito’s role and perform it, he fitted into it splendidly. I think he wonderfully expresses Akito’s feeling of tension that stretches out like a thin thread.

Regarding Leila, she is burdened with her own complex background. Her grace and dignity as a descendant of a noble family, her strength in serving as a commander at such a young age, and yet despite all that her softness as a 17-year-old girl had to be properly expressed. A suitable acting ability was necessary, so I thought “Sakamoto-san is the only one for the role”. Leila’s a difficult character, so a big part of me was betting on Sakamoto-san’s power of expression, but she managed to meet expectations and splendidly acted out Leila, so I’m truly glad.

-What kind of requests did the director give to the two of them?

We didn’t give them much information, and just gave them simple explanations like “Voice it like this please” during the recording. We didn't regulate them, and thought we should just let Akito and Leila decide using the performance the two of them did in the recording as the basis. Speaking conversely, I think that part of the earlier versions of Akito and Leila will change from now on depending on Irino-kun’s and Sakamoto-san’s performances.
Old 2014-04-19, 19:28   Link #452
gordol
Banned

This wait is killing me, I guess they'll announce OVA 3 after Unicorn 7 airs next month
Old 2014-04-19, 19:37   Link #453
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
This wait is killing me, I guess they'll announce OVA 3 after Unicorn 7 airs next month
I hope so, since Unicorn 7 is definitely going to monopolize most Sunrise-related attention during Spring. Either way, I don't expect to see the final release date set to any point before late Summer/Fall, but they could at least put up a promotional video or something else to keep us interested.

Such as a teaser including the CG Lancelot, for example.
Old 2014-04-19, 21:32   Link #454
gordol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
I hope so, since Unicorn 7 is definitely going to monopolize most Sunrise-related attention during Spring. Either way, I don't expect to see the final release date set to any point before late Summer/Fall, but they could at least put up a promotional video or something else to keep us interested.

Such as a teaser including the CG Lancelot, for example.
That's what I want: the Lancelot in the CG battle teaser
Old 2014-04-21, 13:18   Link #455
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Wait, we could have had a MILF Leila with kids while still being intelligent badass? Dammit, Japan!
Old 2014-04-21, 13:50   Link #456
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Wait, we could have had a MILF Leila with kids while still being intelligent badass? Dammit, Japan!
who can blame them?
hardcore otaku can be really scary

one game of atelier (ps3) have main heroine have ex who slap her in trailer -> all hell raise and otaku start to call her second hand good and don't want her as main heroine till game producer said she actually still young and virgin.....

(they can be scary when voice actor have boyfriends/fiance too)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 04:23   Link #457
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
Otakus can be a real problem...
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 15:31   Link #458
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
That's what I want: the Lancelot in the CG battle teaser
+1. CG mecha porn (battle teaser, just making sure I'm clear there) is quite the treat...lol
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 03:31   Link #459
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Dang, still no new news eh? So sad
Old 2014-05-22, 02:46   Link #460
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Dang, still no new news eh? So sad
Patience is a virtue. Most of us once debated upon whether or not they would be any new CG projects in the works from between 2008 to 2009 until Sunrise announced their plans for Code Geass on Lelouch's birthday. But anything is better than nothing at all; especially after 6 years has passed since Code Geass R2 began.

Most animes rarely get that kind of strong fanbase on a TV series years after its initial run had ended.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote