AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-19, 20:45   Link #81
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Except they do, FFXIII is far from the only game they have developed.
Vallen Chaos Valiant meant since Final Fantasy XIII. Looking at what they've made since then, there's not much of note.
Old 2012-12-19, 20:47   Link #82
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Vallen Chaos Valiant meant since Final Fantasy XIII. Looking at what they've made since then, there's not much of note.
At least we found out why; SE told us that most current major projects had been put on hold in order to make sure the FF 14 reboot worked out. They cannibalised existing projects to restore the Final Fantasy name.
Old 2012-12-19, 21:37   Link #83
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's 1st Trailer Debuts

Shades at night....should I even ask?
Old 2012-12-19, 21:54   Link #84
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 22:18   Link #85
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
First Impressions: It looks interesting, but it is now starting to appear like a comic super hero or something. Something that Final Fantasy should never ever be compared with. The story line hasn't been brought out yet which is its strong point, though it appears that free roaming is apparent so maybe there is a lot of mini quests to do. Overall, from the trailer alone, the trailer did not provide me excitement saying "buy it buy now". Needs more convincing to me, also the costume design is really is like a comic super hero.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 23:05   Link #86
Iron Maw
Banned

Framerate's pretty bad in that video, I hope that it fixed before release otherwise it's looking pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
So now she's a half-assed Advent Children Cloud design. Nomura doesn't even care anymore
Looks like the concept design she had before her final look in FFXIII-2:
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy..._Artwork_2.jpg

Quote:
Won't that imposed time limit get in the way though?
Not really as long as its managed well. The game is going for strong replayability a'la Majora's Mask, Dragon Quarter, Valkyrie Profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
On consoles maybe, but everywhere else? Hardly.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-12-19 at 23:24.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 23:31   Link #87
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
First Impressions: It looks interesting, but it is now starting to appear like a comic super hero or something. Something that Final Fantasy should never ever be compared with. The story line hasn't been brought out yet which is its strong point, though it appears that free roaming is apparent so maybe there is a lot of mini quests to do. Overall, from the trailer alone, the trailer did not provide me excitement saying "buy it buy now". Needs more convincing to me, also the costume design is really is like a comic super hero.
I agree with the superhero bit, she did strike me very much as sort of a Neo/Batman hybrid. The free foam is a definite plus for me, the battle system looks more or less the same but hopefully we will know more about the plot and the final antagonist sooner than later so I can make a good informed decision
Old 2012-12-19, 23:35   Link #88
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
On consoles maybe, but everywhere else? Hardly.
Keep in mind that I only care about the JP division, and not what the American division was up to.

And I saw the trailer. But as expected, it is hard to get excited or even care, unless I actually know Lightning as a person. Not the game's fault; it IS the third part of a trilogy. But I really am just waiting for FFXV at this point.
Old 2012-12-19, 23:48   Link #89
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
first impressions: the outfits okay looks like theyve added a bit more animation to the platforming, the combat system looks like there going for a bit with the vita crossplay commpatibility, lightnings design works well with the setting they have her in, and if the narrator of the trailer is any indication hope is going to reapper

all in all an okay trailer
Old 2012-12-20, 03:35   Link #90
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Now where did that city came from...? Anyway the world-exploration seems to be a step up from XIII-2 which is already a good one too. The town also seems bigger..which sadly might be compensated by the quantity of the town.

Also I couldn't see much about the battle system since the trailer isn't clear enough. Based on my experience from the previous games... I don't think the battle system could be judged solely by watching it though. I really need to feel and experience it before commenting it. I watched a XIII battle video before and it looks boring as fuck, then when I played it everything seems fast-paced and quite enjoyable.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 05:05   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
One thing I note from the trailer....I'm getting a bit tired of the music from FFXIII.

It looks fine. I think the battles are going to get boring though with the Lightning focus, but that's the direction they are going here. Going from a three person party that you could switch roles around with, to a two person + 1 monster party, to Lightning. Well hopefully they can keep it interesting.

Like that the exploration looks better in this one so this town should be interesting to run around in. Though I can't believe that they seriously made Lightning say "these are the final 13 days." I mean yeah it is Final Fantasy XIII, but come on guys...

Well let's just hope Lightning is right. Just wrap it up in a solid manner.
Old 2012-12-20, 08:26   Link #92
Freeter
beyond

Recycled music, recycled animation, and really, shades? You're no David Caruso, girl.

This had better be the last XIII title SE, because the franchise has clearly overstayed its welcome.
Old 2012-12-20, 09:58   Link #93
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Now where did that city came from...?
Probably the same place all those time gates came from. Nowhere.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 10:07   Link #94
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think it's a pretty bad idea to have Lightning being the sole main character of this game, especially since her personality isn't exactly the most entertaining. It's going to be even worse if there is nobody to counterbalance it. I was fine with her limited role in XIII-2. I'm also afraid the combat is going to be even more boring than before with only a single character. I thought they had changed the system, but it looks to be exactly the same.

I'm confused by the setting. When does this take place? Where does this take place? Who is the villain going to be? Still Caius?
Old 2012-12-20, 10:38   Link #95
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Recycled music, recycled animation, and really, shades? You're no David Caruso, girl.

This had better be the last XIII title SE, because the franchise has clearly overstayed its welcome.
Yea, the shades 20% cooler only works for Heroes mainly ones named Adam and Jack.
Old 2012-12-20, 11:01   Link #96
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think it's a pretty bad idea to have Lightning being the sole main character of this game, especially since her personality isn't exactly the most entertaining.
Most of them aren't to me. It's a major problem I have with the XIII franchise- the characters don't actually feel like human beings. Watching them, listening to them speak, it's like robots who are emulating human behavior but just can't quite capture that essence. Like their concerns aren't human concerns. Take FF9 - Garnet wanted to stop her mother's aggressive expansionist policies, Steiner wanted to uphold his chivalrous duty to the protect the princess, Zidane iirc is searching for the place he can call home, and Vivi is trying to gain some bravery and not be so afraid of the world. These problems feel real, and I can identify with them, see them as issues an actual person might have had--and one of them isn't even human!

Meanwhile, with some exceptions, and most egregiously in XIII-2, the characters' troubles and motivations don't feel real or relatable, and at best they merely rise to the cliche "I want to protect X," and no higher. What is it they try to do then? To "be a hero?" To avoid turning to crystal? To save the flow of time? Yes, grand, apocalyptic motivations are appropriate in FF games (stopping Gaia from becoming Terra), but it's usually coupled with deep, meaningful motivations, like the ones I described above, that really give you a sense of the characters' humanity and help you identify with them. Not so much with XIII, and again especially 2. They feel artificial to me, forced and shallow, like their issues and motivations were just there for the story's sake, rather than their own.

Quote:
I'm confused by the setting. When does this take place? Where does this take place? Who is the villain going to be? Still Caius?
Not sure. She said "In 13 days the world will come to an end."

I guess she meant "again."
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 11:47   Link #97
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Most of them aren't to me. It's a major problem I have with the XIII franchise- the characters don't actually feel like human beings. Watching them, listening to them speak, it's like robots who are emulating human behavior but just can't quite capture that essence. Like their concerns aren't human concerns. Take FF9 - Garnet wanted to stop her mother's aggressive expansionist policies, Steiner wanted to uphold his chivalrous duty to the protect the princess, Zidane iirc is searching for the place he can call home, and Vivi is trying to gain some bravery and not be so afraid of the world. These problems feel real, and I can identify with them, see them as issues an actual person might have had--and one of them isn't even human!

Meanwhile, with some exceptions, and most egregiously in XIII-2, the characters' troubles and motivations don't feel real or relatable, and at best they merely rise to the cliche "I want to protect X," and no higher. What is it they try to do then? To "be a hero?" To avoid turning to crystal? To save the flow of time? Yes, grand, apocalyptic motivations are appropriate in FF games (stopping Gaia from becoming Terra), but it's usually coupled with deep, meaningful motivations, like the ones I described above, that really give you a sense of the characters' humanity and help you identify with them. Not so much with XIII, and again especially 2. They feel artificial to me, forced and shallow, like their issues and motivations were just there for the story's sake, rather than their own.

Not sure. She said "In 13 days the world will come to an end."

I guess she meant "again."
Whatt about Zack? Is he. Robot imitating human emotion too?
Old 2012-12-20, 17:42   Link #98
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

I really don't like the architecture and design choices for their main city in the trailer. I just think they clash way too much, which unfortunately sways my overall impression negatively.

Lightning's character design is still cool to me, the shades and well.. just about anything she could put on would be cool, hot, or cute to me most likely.

I suppose Lightning's personality will have to open up quite a bit since she looks to be a lone wolf here.

Supposedly this game will work based off time. Certain actions can push time backwards, and "miracles" can push time forward. Time will also effect when things are open to the player and when things are not.

In their presentation they put a lot of emphasis on that, so hopefully we will get a day and night experience that not many games have been able to pull off. In my mind to do this correctly, would be a shit load of work, thats for damn sure.

Overall, I think I'll give it a chance. Hell I will buy it day one. Their presentation for this title makes me think they are working very hard on it and are passionate on what they are trying to accomplish.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 19:48   Link #99
iceyfw

i have pretty mixed feelings about this. certainly this game can't go down in price after a month or two like FFXIII-2, right? RIGHT? oh, who am i kidding. i'll buy it when it hits the $10 mark in a year. maybe they'll toss some DLCs in for free!
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 23:23   Link #100
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'll play it. I'm a masochist for the FF franchise, after all.

Frankly, even no-personality Lightning will be a blast of fresh air after I had to play her cutesy sister and the Kingdom Hearts pin-up model in the last game.

I haven't followed the development at all, but are they getting rid of the asinine paradigm system, and increasing the likelihood that we'd actually input specific commands for our characters? Or is it just character? Are we really only playing Lightning? What is this...FF turning into an open world game ala Assassin's Creed, but with individual RPG battles or something? Why do they keep reducing the characters in these FF XIII games? What strange focus testing did SE do that convinced them their FF fans dislike having a bunch of personalities to play with?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote