AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-24, 00:46   Link #7221
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
^ I believe it is every month that you have to pay for the internet.

Question:

I managed to get the second derivative, but is this correct?
Yes that is f''(x). Though, a simpler way to check these things is one of the many amazing wolfram alpha widgets, like this fella : http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...ive+calculator.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2013-11-24 at 00:59.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 11:07   Link #7222
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Yes that is f''(x). Though, a simpler way to check these things is one of the many amazing wolfram alpha widgets, like this fella : http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...ive+calculator.
How do you get the inflection point though?
Old 2013-11-24, 11:22   Link #7223
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What's HotForex Meta Trader and is it safe and should i be worried?
It is a forex broker. Unless you want to trade forex, it is useless.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 11:34   Link #7224
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is a forex broker. Unless you want to trade forex, it is useless.
Oh. I see. My younger brother install this on my laptop and i thought he musta install fake-software or something.
Old 2013-11-24, 12:09   Link #7225
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
How do you get the inflection point though?
http://depts.gpc.edu/~mcse/CourseDoc...ctionOct12.pdf . Not paying attention in class?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 18:25   Link #7226
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
xD wanted to get out asap
Old 2013-11-27, 07:34   Link #7227
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

What priveleges does a forum admin or mod have? And how can one forum member be promoted to a moderator? Just curious.
Old 2013-11-27, 08:21   Link #7228
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-2 View Post
What priveleges does a forum admin or mod have?
This is cover in the FAQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-2 View Post
And how can one forum member be promoted to a moderator?
We change their user group. It is a completely manual process. When we do it and what prompts the decision (which I think is what you're really asking) depends on the circumstances. If we feel we need more moderators, we'll reach out to people we think will help. This is also mentioned in the FAQ.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 15:32   Link #7229
Tiberium Wolf

In Non Non Biyori subs they used "sticks"... I assume that means countryside. So why I have never heard "sticks" before?
Old 2013-11-27, 17:19   Link #7230
Seitsuki
Onee!

Different translators use different lingo dependant on where they're from. Can't think of any deeper reason.
Old 2013-11-27, 17:24   Link #7231
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
In Non Non Biyori subs they used "sticks"... I assume that means countryside.
I don't know about the specific subtitle example you are citing, but your hunch about the countryside reference is entirely plausible. Just look up the term "in the sticks"; though I'm guessing you already have if you hadn't heard the expression before.
Quote:
So why I have never heard "sticks" before?
I would think you know the answer to that better than anyone? It might have something to do with it being a British idiom that isn't used that often (though I'm sure it is used in the US too). We have a lot of them; if you've not lived in the UK or consumed much British media there are probably many such things you won't have heard. I imagine Portugal has such expressions too; and many of us in the UK will be similarly unfamiliar with them.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 17:51   Link #7232
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
It is indeed used in the U.S..

There are a fair amount of slang terms every language has.

Another slang term for the countryside is "the boondocks", for example, which gets shortened to "the boonies", for example.
Old 2013-11-27, 17:53   Link #7233
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
I don't know about the specific subtitle example you are citing, but your hunch about the countryside reference is entirely plausible. Just look up the term "in the sticks"; though I'm guessing you already have if you hadn't heard the expression before.I would think you know the answer to that better than anyone? It might have something to do with it being a British idiom that isn't used that often (though I'm sure it is used in the US too). We have a lot of them; if you've not lived in the UK or consumed much British media there are probably many such things you won't have heard. I imagine Portugal has such expressions too; and many of us in the UK will be similarly unfamiliar with them.
I think I've first heard the expression used in American media actually. To give a Portuguese translation it would probably be "atrás do sol posto" (literally beyond the setting sun )
Old 2013-11-27, 18:05   Link #7234
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
I don't know about the specific subtitle example you are citing, but your hunch about the countryside reference is entirely plausible. Just look up the term "in the sticks"; though I'm guessing you already have if you hadn't heard the expression before.I would think you know the answer to that better than anyone? It might have something to do with it being a British idiom that isn't used that often (though I'm sure it is used in the US too). We have a lot of them; if you've not lived in the UK or consumed much British media there are probably many such things you won't have heard. I imagine Portugal has such expressions too; and many of us in the UK will be similarly unfamiliar with them.
I am 33 year old and I have been consuming media for long and this is my 1st time I have seen the "In the sticks" refering to countryside. Well I guess we are always learning something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
It is indeed used in the U.S..

There are a fair amount of slang terms every language has.

Another slang term for the countryside is "the boondocks", for example, which gets shortened to "the boonies", for example.
Heh! So weird. "boonies" hummm... ok right.
Old 2013-11-27, 20:11   Link #7235
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Silly question, how brutal was Oda Nobunaga?

I seem to see a lot of Japanese anime feature/reference to the guy. I can understand he appear to be a good politician/general that almost united Japan, but there is little mentioned of his personal quirks.

Is anime mass white-washed his brutal ways, or he wasn't that bad of a person?
Old 2013-11-27, 20:43   Link #7236
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Silly question, how brutal was Oda Nobunaga?

I seem to see a lot of Japanese anime feature/reference to the guy. I can understand he appear to be a good politician/general that almost united Japan, but there is little mentioned of his personal quirks.

Is anime mass white-washed his brutal ways, or he wasn't that bad of a person?
Well, it's complicated, as with many historical figures of his prominence. He had to claw his way to the top of his clan due to a power struggle following his father's death, which inevitably involved killing fellow clan members.

He also massacred all the inhabitants of a Buddhist settlement that opposed him during one of his campaigns.

On the other hand, he had a unique personality and was interested in the arts, western knowledge, etc. Beyond just his historical significance in beginning unification, he's a pretty fascinating figure, so his prominence in Japanese cultural memory is understandable.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 06:17   Link #7237
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

Am I handsome?Just kidding.

Just want to ask, how does force ratio (don't know the right term) works? I've been reading some historical wars and battles and, most of the times, it describes the ratio of opposing forces like, 3 to 1 for a successful defense or attack, or being outnumbered 10 to 1.
Old 2013-11-28, 13:58   Link #7238
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
I am 33 year old and I have been consuming media for long and this is my 1st time I have seen the "In the sticks" refering to countryside. Well I guess we are always learning something new.

Heh! So weird. "boonies" hummm... ok right.
Which also leads to the slang Boonie hat, that familiar, slouchy military hat that is popular these days.

Endless "Connections" Soul
Old 2013-11-28, 15:33   Link #7239
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Well, it's complicated, as with many historical figures of his prominence. He had to claw his way to the top of his clan due to a power struggle following his father's death, which inevitably involved killing fellow clan members.

He also massacred all the inhabitants of a Buddhist settlement that opposed him during one of his campaigns.

On the other hand, he had a unique personality and was interested in the arts, western knowledge, etc. Beyond just his historical significance in beginning unification, he's a pretty fascinating figure, so his prominence in Japanese cultural memory is understandable.
I was under the impression the monks in question were more militant and political that resemble Japan equivalent of the Vatican than a bunch of vegan reclusive. If they wanted to do a power play, wouldn't that make them "fair game?"

I am more interested if he was like torture political enemies and randomly behead concubines.
Old 2013-11-28, 22:35   Link #7240
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I was under the impression the monks in question were more militant and political that resemble Japan equivalent of the Vatican than a bunch of vegan reclusive. If they wanted to do a power play, wouldn't that make them "fair game?"

I am more interested if he was like torture political enemies and randomly behead concubines.
They were warrior monks, but he also massacred the women and children of the settlement, so depends on your definition of fair game.

I don't think he was twisted in the sense of beheading concubines, but torturing political enemies I hesitate to deny without having more knowledge..

Certainly I'd say his successor, Hideyoshi (another fascinating figure), is more well known for brutality than Nobunaga.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious